Thread: Marriage and multiple factions

Default Marriage and multiple factions

Several times in history, single rulers have had control over multiple countries. Like William of Orange ruling the Netherlands and England or the Georges 1 and 2 with them ruling Hanover and England. (I'm sure there were other instances but I largely know England because I went there twice and got a book about their monarchy)

So do any of you think there might be an instance that through marriage or other means, a player would run two or more factions? Or would there be a different means of handling it?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Marriage and multiple factions

Although it would be a good game mechanic, I doubt it will be possible outside of manipulationg a hotseat game, and even then only by roleplaying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Would that be because of difficulty on the behalf of them in doing it? Or would it be because the game will be coming out in a few months and they wouldn't have time to change anything significant?

Blog Entries

I think having sufficient code and a working way for you to take control of a Second faction, while not losing if it dies, and having certain people on either side would not only prove too difficult to code properly, but would become too confusing for the player. Essentially, I see what you suggest as having another faction become your vassal, but have basically one family tree. There's a difference between something like the 3 roman factions becoming a Roman faction and something in ETW, lets say, the Britons and the Indians becoming linked. Who would be able to do it? Anyone? Only the player? Only certain factions?

It would add a good concept, but be very very hard to implement well which is what CA needs to do (and certainly looks like what they are aiming for) to keep their customers after their last two games have had sub-standard releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Noncommunist View Post
    So do any of you think there might be an instance that through marriage or other means, a player would run two or more factions? Or would there be a different means of handling it?
    Nope. Considering when the campagin starts Saxony and Poland share a king, and CA gave Saxony to Poland as just another province. And that Sapin's king will also be king of Sardinia, Sicily, and Naples, Duke of Milan, and ruler of the Spainish Netherlands. And they are just Spainish provinces.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Blog Entries

So they did in History, but will they in game?

TW games never have 100% accurate starting conditions.

Well i believe 100% accuracy is impossible, mainly because players can achieve so much faster than it historically was done because it´s nearly impossible to add traitorous barons and in-court plotting.
    I would like to see a multiple factions possibility, but they should be somehow placed under one flag. Perhaps if they add "culture" trait to royal family members and princesses, no English princess would marry some native-american chieftain.
    The topic is very hard because it´s other thing to say than to do.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Noncommunist View Post
    Several times in history, single rulers have had control over multiple countries. Like William of Orange ruling the Netherlands and England or the Georges 1 and 2 with them ruling Hanover and England. (I'm sure there were other instances but I largely know England because I went there twice and got a book about their monarchy)

Medieval I was not bad at all on that area. Not only there were civil wars but, sometimes and due to royal marriages one got to control others territory when choosing the right faction.

Another thing i miss are the titles one could bestowe to certain characters thus improving their loyalty.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

It looks like CA has tried to represent this at the start of the game at least by having Britain and The United Provinces start as Allies, excellent relations, and Trade rights; since they share a Monarch. I hope that this is continued throughout the game and if the Hanoveran Line becomes the British Monarch, that relations between Britain and Hanover will improve greatly. I would really like it if in this case that Hanover would become a Protectorate of Britain.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

There is a possibility this will somehow be represented, since it has been mentioned in the Faction Previews. It's anyones guess as to how though. I wouldn't expect anything to realistic though, and I don't think we will be able to rule two factions at once.

Since countries start the game with allies this time around maybe one or two will start with vassals to represent this?

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

The English seem to have had a propensity for bringing in outside monarchs to the throne.
    The Normans had Normandy, The Stuarts had Scotland, William had the Netherlands, Ann of Denmark, and the Georges had Hanover. If it is scripted it is not much of a problem I suppose…but I just so detest George I. Couldn’t they have found someone better? Surly there was another protestant in Europe! One that might have been able to pour excrement from a boot had the instructions been printed on the bottom!

Of course without them you might have never had a Primeminister…what a double edged sword that is!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain