Thread: has anyone ever played a campaign with Genoa?

Default has anyone ever played a campaign with Genoa?

i can't find anything about them in the XL guides forum but after looking at their unit roster, i'm kinda intrigued by them and torn between trying them, the Danes, or Sicily in my next campaign. i'm kinda leaning towards Genoa over Sicily(even though i've heard from several people that Sicily is a really fun faction to play) because of their unit roster. the Genoese can build Italian Infantry and Gothic units and it doesn't seem like Sicily can produce either of those.

do the valor bonuses for Urban Militia really add anything to the game? i usually hardly ever build more than 3-4 UMs with other factions , so i'm not really that familiar with how long that they can be relevant in the game. from what i can tell from past experience though, UMs aren't totally worthless with a little valor, armor, and weapons upgrades added into the mix. does a valor bonus for Genoese Sailors really benefit that unit very much? my archers hardly ever get valor from battle, so i've never really been able to tell if valor really matters for ranged units.

how about income? it seems like Corsica and Sardinia are extremely poor and would be a major burden on your economy until you can get some infrastructure in place.

without any rebel provinces on your borders, what province do you typically go after first? Provence? Venice?

any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Default Re: has anyone ever played a campaign with Genoa?

Played Genoa a while ago, and really enjoyed playing as them (much more than as other Italian factions)

I used Sailors and UM's a lot, but only because i like using factions units when possible, both are relevant more or less until late period, when arq's etc. take over, but UM's need loads of bonuses by then.

I got lucky in my campaign, as the other Italian factions argued really early in the game, and the French got in a war with both the English and HRE, so I was able to gain much of Southern France with little effort, and then using that income the Iberian map section, and was pretty much set for the rest of the campaign from there - but i would reccomend attacking Provence and the French side rather than the othewr Italian factions, as that area of map gets very complicated...

thanks for the response. i think i'm going to try a a campaign with them tonight(i just woke up). i'll definitely take your advice on Provence and France. heading towards Iberia seems like a very solid plan. whenever i've played as the Venetians, even when i'm trying to protect the pope(lifting sieges on the papal states, aligning with them, etc) they always seem to attack me. then there's Hungary, Serbia, and the HRE.

thanks again for the response.

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Be interested to hear your thoughts on Genoa when you get a chance, chris. They are one that I have considered a few times but never had a go at.

Cheers

i'll definitely post in here as soon as i get fairly deep into the campaign. i'm still trying to wrap up an Arogonese campaign but i may start a campaign with Genoa tonight anyway. if not tonight, definitely before the weekend's over.

Hello,

may i ask the original poster (OP) to use the available tag for XL since this is an XL thread, please?

Thanks

!it burnsus!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

i'm not familiar with tags or where the XL section of this forum is. i have the XL faction guides section saved to favorites but i couldn't find that forum again on my own again if i had to(yes. i'm that stupid). is this forum too busy or something?

There is no need to post in the XL section for XL - you can post here. No one is familiar with the tags since they have been barely introduced for a few weeks.

The thread that deals with how to use tags and why they have been introduced is here;
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=110679

The XL section here;
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

the XL guides section here;
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=239

Noone is stupid - thanks for the reply

!it burnsus!
    Last edited by gollum; 01-16-2009 at 16:10.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Greetings chris34au,

There is no XL section to the forum. You can freely post your XL threads in this forum. The tags were merely introduced in order that it be easily discernible as to which mod the OP is playing. For instructions as to how to use the tags when making a new thread and more idea as to why the tags were introduced, see here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=110679

Back to topic please gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by Caraveloto View Post
    Greetings chris34au,

There is no XL section to the forum. You can freely post your XL threads in this forum. The tags were merely introduced in order that it be easily discernible as to which mod the OP is playing. For instructions as to how to use the tags when making a new thread and more idea as to why the tags were introduced, see here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=110679

Back to topic please gentlemen.

thanks so much for the help. i saw someone mention tags in another thread the other day but i wasn't really sure what they were talking about. i'd looked for an XL forum in the past but, other than the strategy guide forum, i didn't have any luck finding anything.