Thread: German Panic Attack xD

Default German Panic Attack xD

I startet once again a campaign with the swêbôz with EB1.2 ...

so first of all I collected all my troops to rush as many settlements as
    i can get with this rather weak army...

I decided to siege the cities until they come out and get me in
    order to keep the losses low so that I can get more settlements
    under my control.

and as they are running out of their town... the unbelievable happens!
    I ordered my units to stick togehter in two rows in order to face the attack
    and to protect my archers from nasty meleeunits.

but instead of running to the places I ordered them to, they
    runned all across the battlefield! Oo
    SOME of them, well,... okay reached the place where they are ordered to...
    but just particularly xD

so all my units spread across the whole battle field...
    I repeated my order after 10seconds of terrified staring at the screen and then
    FINALY they did it...
    but i can tell you... it has taken some time... enough for the enemy to rush into
    those who nearly reached the position...
    I will post a screen after my next battle.

I had 3 sieges in which I waited until they come out and in each battle they
    did this bizzare tactic

I don't want to blame the 1.2 patch for this, but I know as a passionate swêbôz player
    that they haven't done this in the earlier versions...
    ... and I don't think that this was added as a special german-only super-tactic is
    where the enemy is confused by

hell yeah, that's it^^
    a screenshot will be here soon^^

Default Re: German Panic Attack xD

This happened to my once in my Karthadistim campaign when I was besieging that Numidian town southwest of Carthage, I can't remember my name. When the enemy sallied out, I ordered my troops into a line and they just scattered everywhere, nearly losing the battle.
    I only won because I managed to sneak my general into the central plaza while my other troops were routing.
    This happened in 1.1, though, so it might just be an RTW bug.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Just wondering, but did those settlements have walls ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

It happens if the settlement you attack has no walls...happens quite alot.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

yeah, that was my next thought after the battle I just fought...
    I besieged a town with walls and the problem disapeared

okay so it depends on the walls...

maybe it could be fixed if the cause could be found...

anyway... thanks for answering^^

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Pathfinding gets screwy in the space the walls would be in, dunno why, but AFAIK nobody knows how to fix it either. Just be "vewy vewy cawful" in such maps.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

When it happened to me, there were no walls either.

My impression is that if you select groups on an unwalled city attack they can "starburst" so I send them one at a time.

Its deeply shocking the first time it happens, a bit like the "extra long conga through the gates" which happened to me when I was trying to rush a lighlty defended city befoere the enemy reinforcements arrived (they chewed the arse off my conga line and I only just held on).
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

From what I have experienced, the pathfinding at settlements with no walls are resolved as soon as the enemy has sallied forth and left the city boundaries, then you can move your units as usual. My solution is simply that you wait for the enemy to come to you.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Not entirely resolved. . . I had the enemy sally and chased the defenders back into the village and my archers and HA's got "confused" and ran around (not into or out of) the city doing nothing particularly useful. . . I don't consider getting killed in melee a particularly useful thing for archers to do.

Interesting . . . now that I know this issue exists I can plan accordingly and (hopefully) avoid it in future.

thanks all

Yet another bug I have never experienced...did I somehow manage to get the magic, mostly working version of RTW? Do the gaming gods smile on me? I've fought several unwalled battles and never had the problem. maybe its because the times I usually fight such a battle are either as the defender or as a HA army which can basically stay on the outskirts and pound everything in the center.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

This is the only time it's happened to me that I know of.* Usually, the enemy is either badly outnumbered and runs to the town center to wait for me or they charge and get slaughtered in the open.

*Could have happened before and I just attributed the screwy pathing to . . . screwy pathing.