Thread: Australian soldier awarded VC

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Thumbs up Australian soldier awarded VC

Not much info at the moment all the sites are saying 'more to come'

Australian soldier Mark Donaldson awarded Victoria Cross

First one for an Aussie in 40 years.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Default Re: Australian soldier awarded VC

That was unexpected, but certainly not unwarranted.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

My kind of crazy!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Pretty impressive.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

"If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Earned, without a doubt. Kudos to him.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Impressive.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Member Member Beren Son Of Barahi's Avatar

most Australian sites have been updated now:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...40-601,00.html

MARK Donaldson has become the first Australian soldier awarded the Victoria Cross in 40 years, for his "exceptional bravery" in service in Afghanistan.
    Play
    Loading…Please login to rate a video.You can't rate an advertisement.
    (56 votes)
    SAS trooper awarded VC
    Trooper Mark Donaldson has been awarded the first Victoria Cross in 40 years. Sky News
    Views today: 2051
    Sorry, this video is no longer available.
    Bookmark and Share

Trooper Donaldson has been awarded the nation's highest military honour in a ceremony in Canberra this morning by Governor-General Quentin Bryce.

INTERACTIVE GALLERY: All the past Australian Victoria Cross winners

Trooper Donaldson was serving with the SAS in Oruzgan province in Afghanistan on September 2 last year when his unit was hit by an ambush, wounding nine Australians.

He was awarded the Victoria Cross for “most conspicuous acts of gallantry in a circumstance of great peril”, according to the citation.

“During a prolonged and effective enemy ambush on numerous occasions he deliberately drew the enemy’s fire in order to allow wounded soldiers to be moved to safety.

“As the battle raged around him he saw that a coalition force interpreter was lying motionless on exposed ground.

“With complete disregard for his own safety, on his initiative and alone, Trooper Donaldson ran back 80 metres across exposed ground to rescue the interpreter and carry him back to vehicle.

“Trooper Donaldson then rejoined his patrol and continued to engage the enemy while remaining exposed to heavy enemy fire.”

His citation said he "displayed exceptional courage in circumstances of great peril" and saved the life of the interpreter.

Kevin Rudd described the award as “truly historic”.

“Trooper Donaldson’s bravery will forever be engraved in Australian history,” the Prime Minister said in a statement.

“Generations of schoolchildren will now know of the story of Trooper Mark Donaldson.

“Trooper Donaldson’s courage and selflessness in the face of such unspeakable danger is not only a great tribute to him and his family – it epitomises the spirit of the Aussie Digger.

“The soldiers that he saved will be forever indebted to him. The nation will be forever indebted to him.”

Ms Bryce described Trooper Donaldson as “the finest example and inspiration”.

“We are here to dedicate your contribution, your unconditional surrender to duty and humanity, your abandonment of your own necessity so that others may be secure, your courage, generosity, compassion,” Ms Bryce said at the ceremony.

“Trooper Donaldson, VC, I salute you.”

Chief of the Defence Force Angus Houston told the gathering Victoria Cross recipients were “at the very core of the ethos of which our military identity had been forged”.

“We in the modern Australian Defence Force strive to live up to the heroism and the values of the Victoria Cross recipients that have gone before us.”

In keeping with protocol Air Chief Marshal Houston then saluted Trooper Donaldson.

“As the highest ranking member of the defence force there has been no current serving member that I salute until now,” he said.

“Tradition holds that even the most senior officer will salute a Victoria Cross recipient as a mark of the utmost respect for their act of valour.”

An official Defence account of the action in December detailed the ambush and heroism of Australians, referring to Trooper Donaldson as Trooper F.

Major General Tim McOwan said a joint US, Australian and Afghan Humvee convoy was ambushed when returning to base after inflicting 13 Taliban kills a day earlier.

"In order to regain the initiative several SAS soldiers reacted to the ambush without regard to their own safety," Major General McOwan said.

"One soldier, whom I shall refer to as Trooper F, moved between positions of cover to engage the enemy, using anti-armour weapons as well as his personal weapon.

"The soldier deliberately exposed himself to enemy fire on several occasions in order to draw fire away from those soldiers who were already wounded in the initial heavy fire."

During an attempt to move the convoy away from the heavy enemy fire, a severely wounded Afghan interpreter fell from a truck. "Trooper F saw he had fallen and was lying to the rear in the open in ground being raked by machinegun fire," Major General McOwan said.

"Without prompting and without regard to his own safety, Trooper F went back to recover the wounded Afghan. He ran across about 80m of fire-swept and exposed ground, drawing intense and accurate machinegun fire from the entrenched enemy positions."

Trooper F lifted the wounded man on to his shoulders and carried him back to the vehicles before applying first aid and then returning to the firefight.

The Taliban ambush resulted in nine Australian soldiers being wounded, the most in a single action since the Vietnam War.

The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Finally.

He earnt it, certianly. '80 metres under heavy fire' is impressive.

Its a shame it took 40 years until a new VC was handed out to Australia, I am sure there is some cases in wars beforehand which several Australian's deserved VC's.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Impresive, indeed.

Sorry if I'm a little misinformed, but how many (if any) other VC were given during the last decade (well... 2000-209).?
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I would also like to add that the Australian probably plays rugby, not sissy football.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

In related news Ossama bin Laden awarded 20 Taliban fighters with the 'You cant shoot ' medal

This guy had some big to do what he did...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    In related news Ossama bin Laden awarded 20 Taliban fighters with the 'You cant shoot ' medal
    I understand that happens a lot with enthusiastic amateurs handling automatic weapons.

Not for the first time it occurs to me the Coalition should thank its lucky stars the gun Afghanistan is awash with is the Avtomat Kalashnikov series and not the other Soviet bulk gun, the semiautomatic SKS (it's the one Russian guard troops carry on parades) - the Brits for one have bad memories of the time the angry hill tribe guys had to learn to aim...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3|| View Post
    Sorry if I'm a little misinformed, but how many (if any) other VC were given during the last decade (well... 2000-209).?
    This is the first time that the Victoria Cross of Australia has been awarded (It was created in '69). Wiki says that in the last decade only two normal VCs have been won by British soldiers - one in Afghanistan, one in Iraq. The Victoria Cross of New Zealand has been awarded once in Afghanistan.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post
    I would also like to add that the Australian probably plays rugby, not sissy football.
    So it would be best to be in front of him when he`s handling grenades
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post

This guy had some big to do what he did...

Perhaps the Talibanis were "religious" shooters? Not that that would detract from the man's courage in any way
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Member Member Beren Son Of Barahi's Avatar

From the reports i read; it sounded like they were using those heavy 12.7mm Russian machine guns; With one of those it wouldn't take much to walk the rounds on a target... it also said the fire was accurate, a detail not often included. it was an ambush as well they would of had their sights zeroed in on the fire zone.

all in all; great stuff for him and the Aust SaS; those guys are heros in every way.
    Last edited by Beren Son Of Barahi; 01-19-2009 at 07:18.
    The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me