Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite historical personality

Default Your favourite historical personality

Who's your favourite person, from throughout the history of the world, and why?

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Default Re: Your favourite historical personality

Zhuge Liang. The only one who reaches near him is Alexander, and all others below them are very far away. While Alexander was an incredibly successful general, I find Zhuge Liang incredibly more complete. He dominated the Art of War, crushed his enemies numerous times against the odds, was a through diplomat, an inventor, a philosopher, an orator. A master of warfare, politics and astrology. He was brilliant in every way. Noone can match him, noone can reach him.
    BLARGH!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Andrew Jackson. The epitome of America
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 01-18-2009 at 18:18.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Hannibal Barca. He may not have been up there with Alexander for Grand Strategy but in my humble opinion the best tactical general that has ever lived. Unfortunately, Hannibal the man is somewhat of a mystery as the only information we have of him comes from his enemies, the Romans.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    Zhuge Liang. The only one who reaches near him is Alexander, and all others below them are very far away. While Alexander was an incredibly successful general, I find Zhuge Liang incredibly more complete. He dominated the Art of War, crushed his enemies numerous times against the odds, was a through diplomat, an inventor, a philosopher, an orator. A master of warfare, politics and astrology. He was brilliant in every way. Noone can match him, noone can reach him.
    Zhuge Liang's abilities was highly exaggerated in the novel, but everything you said about him was true to some extend, the guy was quite a poet as well. I would like to nominate Kangxi Emperor of China, possibly one of the greatest ruler the world has known.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus.JC View Post
    Zhuge Liang's abilities was highly exaggerated in the novel, but everything you said about him was true to some extend, the guy was quite a poet as well. I would like to nominate Kangxi Emperor of China, possibly one of the greatest ruler the world has known.
    I base myself on not solely on the Romance. Thus why I linked to his "historical" biography, not the Romance one. I also read his Art of War, which in my opinion, is quite superior to that of Sun Tzu.

I certainly, do not believe he called the South-East winds. >_>

That was just a lucky Zhou Yu, knowing a fisherman who was his friend and the fisherman told him the South-East winds would arrive in a number of days.
    BLARGH!

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Julius Caesar. The man was a living god.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Emperor Napoleon I. Few other people have had an entire period of human history named after them.
    Last edited by CountArach; 01-19-2009 at 10:59.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Your favourite historical personality

Ceasar and Napoleon, only for the fact that they ended democracy to supposedly protect it.

Add to that the fact they were good generals, orators and politicians, as well as overly megalomaniacs, and here you are, you have the most interesting historical figures ever.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Alexander, Caesar and Napoleon.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Let’s debate this one. I know he is your choice and you are welcome to it, but Old Hickory was not exactly a role model for American Youth!

He was vengeful, conniving, underhanded, & brutal! And those could be said to be his good points.

His political excesses were legendary. It was by his urging that the Indian Removal Act was passed and the few good things we think of him doing were all out of selfish motivation…

Are you sure you don’t like Thomas (Stonewall) Jackson just a bit more?

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Let’s debate this one. I know he is your choice and you are welcome to it, but Old Hickory was not exactly a role model for American Youth!

He was vengeful, conniving, underhanded, & brutal! And those could be said to be his good points.

His political excesses were legendary. It was by his urging that the Indian Removal Act was passed and the few good things we think of him doing were all out of selfish motivation…

Or Teddy, I mean the man gave a speech after getting shot without any medical attention!

Course Jackson did wait for a man to shoot at a duel, get shot, and then shoot the man dead though his gun malfunctioned on his first pull of the trigger and he had to squeeze it again...
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

I base myself on not solely on the Romance. Thus why I linked to his "historical" biography, not the Romance one. I also read his Art of War, which in my opinion, is quite superior to that of Sun Tzu.

I certainly, do not believe he called the South-East winds. >_>

That was just a lucky Zhou Yu, knowing a fisherman who was his friend and the fisherman told him the South-East winds would arrive in a number of days.
    I don't even know how he got the winds, wasn't he supposed to be really good at astrology and deduced that the wind was going to come, like a human weather machine or something like that? Or was it really the fisherman.

It was really a fisherman. He told Zhou Yu that there would be the South-Eastern winds at a certain day. Zhuge Liang, had nothing to do with the event. Same goes for the recieving arrows incident. That was Sun Quan's orders to attack during the fog.
    BLARGH!

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Socrates.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin View Post
    Or Teddy, I mean the man gave a speech after getting shot without any medical attention!

Course Jackson did wait for a man to shoot at a duel, get shot, and then shoot the man dead though his gun malfunctioned on his first pull of the trigger and he had to squeeze it again...
    I only thought that perhaps Lone Stare or Perl had confused him into thinking Andy was Tom…

Strike may not find Teddy as appealing but instead of Andy Jackson I could offer up another Tennessean, ol’ Sam Huston might not be as bad a choice, though the both of them likely owe more to Tennessee Whisky than Tennessee Breeding.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

It was really a fisherman. He told Zhou Yu that there would be the South-Eastern winds at a certain day. Zhuge Liang, had nothing to do with the event. Same goes for the recieving arrows incident. That was Sun Quan's orders to attack during the fog.
    Zhuge Liang just became less god-like then he had been.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chinggis Kha(a)n.

EDIT: close second is Siddharta Gautama
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 01-19-2009 at 21:07.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus.JC View Post
    Zhuge Liang just became less god-like then he had been.
    To be fair, unless he was an metereologist, he would hardly know how fogs and winds appeared and vanished. The fisherman must of had a life long experience for him to know the wind patterns of the river, still that doesn't deny the fact that he was the best strategist ever.
    Likewise, Liu Bei is depicted in the Romance as the most virtuous and kind of all people, though in reality he was much more 'grey'. For instance, it was Liu Bei himself who ordered the beating of Cao Xing which led to the attack of Lu Bu. The Romance also has Liu Bei look like a weak or mediocre general, while in reality he was far more able in commanding armies than in the Romance.
    Last edited by Jolt; 01-19-2009 at 22:42.
    BLARGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post

I mean Andrew Jackson. The man ushered in universal suffrage he was the first "president of the people" He was an arrogant person but such was the nature of early presidents. Adams Jefferson and Adams Jr. were all more wrapped up in themselves more so than Jackson.

He fought his whole life for the ideal of an America were everyone had a voice. I also like a man who walked the walk as it were he wasn't afirad to back down from a fight and all good leaders need to be able to stand there ground. He also was very principled, stuck to his guns I can respect that.

He also was a loving caring gentleman who adopted an Indian boy. The man came from nothing into everything due to his sheer will.

My heros in American history are not guys like Washington or Hamilton or even FDR. I like guys like Jackson or Patton. Men who instead of finding ways around the wall in front of them went right through it.

Stonewall was a very good general (maybe better than Lee) but not much more.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

All I think of that man when I hear the name is the Indian Removal act (Not that I dont know his other history, not in-depth though). Forcing native americans to go from their ancestral homelands to Oklahoma. All the while doing it in nazi fashion, being overly cruel on the long march there.

Oklahoma, you ever been there? I grew up there. Not a fun place to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    All I think of that man when I hear the name is the Indian Removal act (Not that I dont know his other history, not in-depth though). Forcing native americans to go from their ancestral homelands to Oklahoma. All the while doing it in nazi fashion, being overly cruel on the long march there.

Oklahoma, you ever been there? I grew up there. Not a fun place to be.
    I never said the man was perfect but what he did for voters and the democratic process outweighs what he did to the Indians.

I have never been to Oklahoma but with good reason, I'm from Texas.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Is that the same guy that used to be a general and commanded American army at New Orleans in the war with UK?

I never said the man was perfect but what he did for voters and the democratic process outweighs what he did to the Indians.

I have never been to Oklahoma but with good reason, I'm from Texas.
    You mean like ignoring the supreme court, his handling of the nulification crisis and the spoils system?
    Last edited by Lord Winter; 01-20-2009 at 01:21.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    You mean like ignoring the supreme court, his handling of the nulification crisis and the spoils system?
    The spoils system is a pretty weak argument. Every president does that.

What did he do about nullification. I know he didn't agree with SC what did he do wrong?

True, but he was the start of it on a larger and offical scale.

As for nullification, he threatened to use force, and alienated the South, starting (among other factors) the build up to the civil war.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Winter View Post
    True, but he was the start of it on a larger and offical scale.

As for nullification, he threatened to use force, and alienated the South, starting (among other factors) the build up to the civil war.
    Debatable considering perviously the same guys were running the show.

If we had a weak willed president the country could have very well split in two right then. While I am a proponent of states rights. A divided union would've probably stayed that way.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

My namesake, of course, Ramses II of Egypt. One of the longest reigning king/emperors in history. Personally led troops to victory in battle. Signed the first peace treaty in recorded history. Fathered about one hundred legitimate heirs. Survived to age 90 in an era when 35 was the typical lifespan. Effectively declared himself a god while still living, and was believed in so firmly that by some accounts his subjects were convinced the world would end when he died.

His success was so great that those who followed him tore down his monuments and tried to erase his memory because they could not match his accomplishments. Failing that, they took his name and claimed his deeds for their own. That despite this his name and some small part of his great works still echo down through more than three thousand years of human civilization bears witness to his might.

Look on his works, ye mighty, and despair. (With apologies to Shelley )

The spoils system is a pretty weak argument. Every president does that.
    I agree with Strike that Andrew Jackson was awesome, but I have to note that the spoils system was removed after Garfield's assassination.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    I agree with Strike that Andrew Jackson was awesome, but I have to note that the spoils system was removed after Garfield's assassination.
    There are ways around those pesky laws. We see it today. It's just not as pronounced.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast