Thread: Changing bodyguards

Default Changing bodyguards

Now that I have conquered almost the whole Mediterranean area with the Seleucids, I'd like to "upgrade" my generals' bodyguards, thus simulating military new techniques and metallurgic progression.
    Well frankly I'd like to have Baktrian super heavy mammoth tanks *er* hetairoi kataphraktoi as bodyguards of my huge empire, now.

However, I am not sure of what I should edit and I fear that I may do crappy things.

Is there also an option to give particular bodyguards only to the faction leader and his heir (so that I won't spawn too many ultra heavy cavalrymen)?
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Default Re: Changing bodyguards

Bodyguard unit is for all FM's, so your last question is a no.

And I'm not sure if changes to general units are save game compatible... I hope for you I'm wrong on that one!

--> - Never near Argos - <--

really? so how comes, that when you play KH some of your FM have Spartiatai Hoplitai and some Epilektoi Hoplitai sould not be posslible...
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 01-19-2009 at 12:19.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

When you play KH every FM has the Epilektoi Hoplitai as bodyguard.

Only a few Spartans get Spartiatai at the beginning of the game. That's because they were given those bodyguards in the campaign script (I think that's the file, and that's not EBBS). Anyway, this can only be done with FM's that are already older than 16 at the start of the game.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 01-19-2009 at 16:55.

So isn't possible that I might edit the EB script inserting a line which says something like "if underage FM is tagged as faction ruler's son, then he gets this or that particular bodyguard when he becomes active"? What a pity, I have a 12 years old child waiting to become the new faction heir, he would completely suit the situation.
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Have the Vanilla Marian reforms hit? If they have, you can add the Seleucids to the Hetairoi Kataphractoi's list of owners. There may be some modeling issues which might be rectified by giving the HK the mercenary_unit trait. This pathway is your best bet.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Pretty sure that the file that gives the KH Spartiate starting generals their aberrant BG units is descr_strat, actually. IIRC you can define the bodyguards the FMs start with more or less the exact same way as you can alter the rest of the starting armies.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

descr_strat it is then, all I knew was that it was a file in the Data\maps folder. And that it only affects starting units.

Well, aren't you at least going to try using the upgrade option in the EDU? It should work on new FMs.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot