Thread: 199 BC & the lame saga of my PC

Default 199 BC & the lame saga of my PC

Well,
    It seems that the destiny of Rome is tied to my ability to make any pc work with EB for more than an hour.
    Rome has crushed Gauls, Cassus trebled at my arrival but rallied and replused Her from their shores. Rome decimated the Greeks etal and is on the probing the edges of the Seleucid empire. Pontos has fallen. Carthage was crushed beneath my heel with the utmost contempt. So much so that a hapless band of Princes from Iberian Pen, struck out in a vain attempt at AI magic to strike Rome... They got lost and ended up in modern day Hungary wondering WTF? They are now stateless rebels.
    After buying 3 copies of RTW, shorting out a old PC, wiping my gaming rig and re starting with EXACT directions from EB, I was finally able to play until the Winter of 199BC.
    CTD occured time and time again, before battles, part way thru turn cycles....ahhh Turn cycles. I'll go back a save and do less buying, different moves !!! Voila it works. For a time...
    The Egyptian Sphinxs see my might and are so Scared they make the game crash.
    Not be out done I took a DELL Laptop with 2 GB mem and 256mb vid card and Duo chip and INSTALLED AGAIN ( this time using Direct to Drive version) - Once again I managed to play until tragedy struck and Rome fell to CTD's.
    Is it a coincidence that the hard drive on this new laptop (still under warranty) failed upon boot teh next morning?
    I am so jaded about this exercise that at my stately age of 45 I am ready to give up strategy gaming and go back to the board game. Command and Colors is looking better all the time.

Not really a request for help, more an exercise in therapy for me to vent. I love what the EB chaps have done. I am curious to play thru a full game.

Default Re: 199 BC & the lame saga of my PC

Strange... I have an old, crappy, slow PC and I never have CTD's.

Do you have EB 1.2 or an earlier version (client rulers and cloned FM in 1.1 sometimes gave CTD's)? You do have the fixes installed do you? Take a look at the bug and tech help subforum (where this should have been posted by the way) and while you're there take a look at the frequent issues thread (which is linked in the important information thread I think).

There are a few tips:
    If you have Vista you should never install in Program Files.
    Turn of shadows on campaign map.
    Wait a few seconds after battles.
    Make sure no programs are running in the background while playing EB.
    Check for rebelling cities if the game CTD's and if you see one with low public order use the add_population City_Name -4000 cheat to lower the population.
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 01-19-2009 at 18:32.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

I have a newer comp and when I play as the romans I got ctds all the time. I made to 196 though after just having to run through the ctds.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    There are a few tips:
    If you have Vista you should never install in Program Files.
    Turn of shadows on campaign map.
    Wait a few seconds after battles.
    Make sure no programs are running in the background while playing EB.
    Check for rebelling cities if the game CTD's and if you see one with low public order use the add_population City_Name -4000 cheat to lower the population.
    Or play it in a windowed mode. Strangely I have never had a CTD when playing like that. And I usually have some internet pages or msn windows open in the same. Perhaps I have been just lucky??