Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to role-play a civil war?

  1. #1
    EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Directing the defence of Boiotergion
    Posts
    3,361

    Question How to role-play a civil war?

    Hello friends, I would like to spice up my campaign by role-playing a civil war within my faction, but I am unsure how to do it properly so that it would actually brought forward some benefit in terms of more challenge and fun. Therefore I am asking for advise and best-practices.

    • Probably the easiest way woud be just to give certain provinces to some other faction. But is it possible to cause your family members with their armies and cities to "defect" as well? How would this be done?
    • What are the experiences with how the AI copes with such unexpected fortune in form of a bunch of new (and possibly far away) provinces and armies you gave to it?
    • Does the AI have to be able to use my barracks for recruiting or is it able to eventually build it own?
    • Does the EB government system brings any difficulties for the AI if it obtains new province via diplomacy (as a gift, for instance)?
    • What relevant console commands could be used in simulating a civil war?
    • I like the civil war between Antigonid and Pyrrhic dynasty in MAAs AAR, but I just cannot understand how he made it, please enlighten me.
    • My intent is to conquer the three Indian provinces as Bactria and then let them "rebel" and create an independent Indo-hellenic Kingdom. Which faction would be the most suitable "counter-faction" for this purpose?
    • Generally who of you actually does role-play a civil war in your campaigns? how do you do that technically and do you think it worth the effort invested?


    Thank you very much in advance!!!
    Last edited by V.T. Marvin; 01-20-2009 at 14:04.

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to role-play a civil war?

    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    But is it possible to cause your family members with their armies and cities to "defect" as well? How would this be done?
    Somewhere there is a guide how to use a change faction script. Use it to control the faction which you want to use to simulate a civil war, take a diplomat, bribe family members. In case they are too expensive, give them some traits, that reduce their bribe resistance, via console.
    Then, switch back to your own faction.
    I used this once and I didn't experience any serious problems (had to move some armies back where they belong, change construction/training).

    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Does the AI have to be able to use my barracks for recruiting or is it able to eventually build it own?
    The AI will build its own MICs, but it is of course preferable, if they can use the same as you, because in the simulation they are the same faction as you are and shouldn't need to build up their own military infrastructure.

    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    Does the EB government system brings any difficulties for the AI if it obtains new province via diplomacy (as a gift, for instance)?
    I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the script spawns a government building in a region which at the end of the turn belongs to the AI and doesn't have one yet (please confirm anyone!). If so, there shouldn't be a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    I like the civil war between Antigonid and Pyrrhic dynasty in MAAs AAR, but I just cannot understand how he made it, please enlighten me.
    I think he used FD to gift the provinces to Baktria, who share the MICs with Makedonia, changed the faction name and the color (guides on how to do these should be available per forum search). I think that was all that's to it
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

    from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

  3. #3
    Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Γερμανια Ελευθερα
    Posts
    2,321

    Default AW: How to role-play a civil war?

    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • Probably the easiest way woud be just to give certain provinces to some other faction. But is it possible to cause your family members with their armies and cities to "defect" as well? How would this be done?
    I'm not sure. MAA killed the relevant FM iirc and let the game spawn substitutes for them.


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • What are the experiences with how the AI copes with such unexpected fortune in form of a bunch of new (and possibly far away) provinces and armies you gave to it?
    They spawn FMs.


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • Does the AI have to be able to use my barracks for recruiting or is it able to eventually build it own?
    It's preferable when the counter-faction is of the same culture like you and shares the MIC.


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • Does the EB government system brings any difficulties for the AI if it obtains new province via diplomacy (as a gift, for instance)?
    Besides that it's going to war with you, I can't think of any specific difficulty.


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • What relevant console commands could be used in simulating a civil war?
    create_unit "settlement" "unit"
    process_cq "settlement"
    give_money "faction" 40000


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • I like the civil war between Antigonid and Pyrrhic dynasty in MAAs AAR, but I just cannot understand how he made it, please enlighten me.
    I'll leave that to him.


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • My intent is to conquer the three Indian provinces as Bactria and then let them "rebel" and create an independent Indo-hellenic Kingdom. Which faction would be the most suitable "counter-faction" for this purpose?
    Makedonia. They are of the same culture and share the factional MICs. Also, the "real" Makedonia is far away so it won't cause any interference with them. When the civil war is done, FD peace with them.


    Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    • Generally who of you actually does role-play a civil war in your campaigns? how do you do that technically and do you think it worth the effort invested?
    I am planning to use Baktria as my counterfaction in my epic Makedonian campaign. The only thing that bothers me is that I border Baktria in the east and don't have any problems with them atm. But I think it's necessary, my empire has become so vast and my Basileus is going to die soon, so...

  4. #4
    EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The State of Jefferson, USA
    Posts
    5,722

    Default Re: How to role-play a civil war?

    -IMO, it is not worth the effort of getting your family members to go over to the other faction. When an AI faction has more territories than family members, they will "magically" spawn new ones which you can roleplay.

    -When the AI has two separate areas of territory, they'll generally concentrate on only one of them (usually the bigger part).

    -If the AI doesn not share the same MICs as you, the gifts of the territories will spawn hundreds of "freed slaves" and you'll have to wait a decade or more before they build up their MICs and start making proper armies.

    -If the AI uses the same government system as you (normal vs. nomad vs. Pahlava), then they will use your governments normally as though they built them.

    -Forced diplomacy can do just about all you need to do, unless you plan to script things...

    -From your questions, you pretty much understand what I did and how to do it. There was a whole lot of roleplaying in my AAR, where I couldn't do things gameplay wise.

    -To make an Indian faction, your choices really are only Baktria, Pahlava, Saka Rauka, and maybe the Seleukids (since nobody else has any good units in India). Although Baktria and Pahlava & Saka share neither governments nor MICs. If either Parthia or Saka are nearly dead, you could try transplanting them to India and giving them a decade to build up governments and MICs (or script those).

    -Don't steamroll a civil war, the AI will be weak and confused by the transplanting for quite some time.


  5. #5

    Default Re: How to role-play a civil war?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    -IMO, it is not worth the effort of getting your family members to go over to the other faction. When an AI faction has more territories than family members, they will "magically" spawn new ones which you can roleplay.
    That's correct in most cases. However, in the case I changed the faction to bribe my family members I was pretty determined to get them over, so there was nothing to stop me
    It has the advantage, beside certain FMs really opposing you, of getting rid of them and an entry in the family tree as "deserted in xx BC", which I think is quite nice when you browse the tree some decades after the incident.
    Trying it once won't hurt, but overall, I guess, it's really not worth it
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

    from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

  6. #6
    EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Directing the defence of Boiotergion
    Posts
    3,361

    Default Re: How to role-play a civil war?

    Thank you very much for your advise. I think that I will just give the Indian territories to AS and give them some repite afterwards. They are pretty much doomed right now elsewhere
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    (they have three territories in Asia Minor, three more in Mezopotamia, Persis+Karmania, and Sogdia+that one around Alexandria Eschate - all others taken by Pahlava and PONTOS - amazing AI expansion so far, I will post the picture in the AI expansion thread soon).
    so before I manage to conquer India and find a plausible reason for the spilt of my Kigdom, this might well become their last stronghold.

    Anyway, thank you - Centurio Nixalsverdrus, MarcusAureliusAntoninus and Lysimachos - once more and if anybody has any new ideas, I will welcome these as well.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO