Thread: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad announced!

Default Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad announced!

Link here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripwire Interactive President
    Ok, here is the official statement on the game for now. Yes there is an article about our new UE3 game Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad in the UK and US PC Gamer magazines. Frankly, we're more than a bit surprised at the timing of the release of the article. To put it quite bluntly we thought this would hit after the release of Killing Floor. As such we'll be doing a bit of a scramble to get our PR efforts in order while we are in the middle of getting another game ready to ship.

I know many of you have been waiting a very long time for this news, and I am very happy that we can finally confirm what we've been working on these past three years. RO:HOS (as we call it) is real, its using UE3, and its awesome Just bear with us while we recover from this unexpected announcement and in the immortal words of Battlestar Galactica - all will be revealed.

For now, we're not going to say anything else about the game. We'll let the article speak for itself. As Alan mentioned please don't post scans of the article on this forum. Additionally, please don't post quotes of text from the article on these forums. Our proper PR effort will begin in earnest soon, so you'll get more from us on that in the coming days.
    Awww man... I've always been waiting for RO2!!! Veterans of RO, (including myself) can easily say, this is one of the best tactical shooters ever made.

Here are some former threads here in the arena about Red Orchestra:

Quote Originally Posted by Red Orchestra Steam Store Page
    Fight in the theatre of war that changed the world forever. Battle alongside your compatriots on some of the most inhospitable environments of the Eastern Front in Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. Red Orchestra places you in the most realistic WWII first-person multi-player combat to date on the PC, allowing the player to fight through some of the most intense combat of the war. You can play as infantry, using a wide range of infantry weapons, or crew one of the many armored combat vehicles available in the game, from half-tracks to the most famous German and Soviet heavy tanks. Engage the enemy with everything in your arsenal, from your bayonet at close quarters up to the massive 122mm cannon on the Soviet IS-2. And if that isn't enough, find an officer and a radio to call in thunderous artillery strikes to shake the enemy loose.

Try it yourself if you haven't already. It's only $14.99
    Red Orchestra Steam Store Page

Default Re: Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad announced!

Im gitty.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

YES

This is great! RO is by far my favorite game!

I'm very happy that they're keeping the same theme, and didn't try a Western Front copycat. All the current game could use is a graphical overhaul and some new maps and content. The core dynamics are still the most realistic out there...

Glad to hear some of you are excited!

Here's another update: Link
    Quote Originally Posted by VP, Tripwire Int.
    Roswell, GA. 4th May 2009: Tripwire Interactive is pleased to announce Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad, the sequel to the hit PC title Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, winner of multiple awards: Voodoo Extreme’s FPS and MP Game of the Year 2006, Wargamer’s Best Action Game 2006, IGN Editor’s Choice and many more.

Heroes of Stalingrad will take the Red Orchestra franchise into the next generation of gaming. Cutting edge graphics and audio built on Unreal Engine 3, inventive features and streamlined realism will deliver an unrivalled WWII experience. Focusing on the Battle of Stalingrad and the surrounding operations, both German and Russian, from July 1942 to February 1943 the game allows the player to experience one of the most brutal battles in all of human history. For the first time ever in a first person shooter gamers will be able to experience WWII from the Axis side in a German single player campaign. As always with the Red Orchestra franchise, we will aim to deliver unrivalled accuracy and attention to detail, along with gritty, vicious combat in multi-player, co-op and solo modes. Again, we have listened to the fans and have designed a whole set of new features to make the game more accessible and easy to get into – all while delivering the tactical shooter realism fans of the original game loved.

There is more information available in the June 2009 issue of PC Gamer both in the UK and US, which will be on the news stands in May. The Heroes of Stalingrad forums are also now open – head to www.HeroesofStalingrad.com for the teaser website and access to the forums. We will be releasing more information about the game over the next weeks and months, so keep checking back! Tripwire Interactive are taking the time to get the game right, so the release date will remain “when it is ready” for the time being.
    I'm actually dissapointed to hear that it is mostly foccused on Stalingrad and it's operations from 1942-43. (hence Heroes of Stalingrad =P)
    Does this mean we won't be seeing weapons like the STG44, PPSH43, or tanks like the, Tigers, or IS-2? I hope not; but hopefully with updates it will be more than just that.
    Don't get me wrong this game is gonna be awesome =D

Official Heroes of Stalingrad Website coming soon...
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 05-06-2009 at 04:29.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I agree, kind of disapointed that it seems it will focus on Stalingrad only, but considering how vibrant the modding community is, I'm more than certain the big mods like Darkest Hour or that desert rats mod will eventually port over.

German SP campaign....interesting. I hope they represent their allies as well, Italians and I think Romanians were also involved in the theater.

Does this mean we won't be seeing weapons like the STG44, PPSH43, or tanks like the, Tigers, or IS-2? I hope not; but hopefully with updates it will be more than just that.
    I think that was directed towards the SP campaigns. I can't imagine them taking away content.. but who knows.

I'm more worried about all these new features to make the game more accessible and easy to get into. That's what we heard before COD turned into the arcade game it is now... and an even more profitable enterprise. That model must be tempting for all FPS developers these days.

However, I have faith that Tripwire understands their niche.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    I'm more worried about all these new features to make the game more accessible and easy to get into. That's what we heard before COD turned into the arcade game it is now... and an even more profitable enterprise. That model must be tempting for all FPS developers these days.

However, I have faith that Tripwire understands their niche.
    People who buy RO thinking it's another COD clone drop like fly's in MP It's that niche that makes the game awesome, it's been around so long every one on there already knows how to play and what to expect. Rarely have I seen people complain during a match "oh in COD I could do this...." "in DoD we can drive that...".

Either you like the game, or you don't.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I'm actually dissapointed of the Stalingrad theme. I love RO and everything that comes with it, it's an AMAZING FPS if you know how to play it. Since the price dropped so much it encourages more people, and that means more fresh meat for us veterans.

But anyways, I hope they understand this is what their veteran fanbase wants - keep everything, improve graphics, add a couple of things and voila. A perfect FPS.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I'm actually dissapointed of the Stalingrad theme. I love RO and everything that comes with it, it's an AMAZING FPS if you know how to play it. Since the price dropped so much it encourages more people, and that means more fresh meat for us veterans.

But anyways, I hope they understand this is what their veteran fanbase wants - keep everything, improve graphics, add a couple of things and voila. A perfect Historical accurate FPS.
    Fixed
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

No Leningrad, Kiev, Moscow.. etc? Damn, although this still looks pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    People who buy RO thinking it's another COD clone drop like fly's in MP It's that niche that makes the game awesome, it's been around so long every one on there already knows how to play and what to expect. Rarely have I seen people complain during a match "oh in COD I could do this...." "in DoD we can drive that...".
    Free weekends are always fun for that very reason.

Although as I almost always play German, its quite disheartening to hear some new guy shoot out an MG42 after about 10 seconds of continuous fire. "Whys my mg sound diff guyz?? I cant hit nothin!"

Either you like the game, or you don't.
    I agree and I like it that way. It limits sales though. Small gaming houses that find success always struggle with the potential money to be made by simplifying things. Look how intricate the STW battle engine was compare to M2TW, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Free weekends are always fun for that very reason.

Although as I almost always play German, its quite disheartening to hear some new guy shoot out an MG42 after about 10 seconds of continuous fire. "Whys my mg sound diff guyz?? I cant hit nothin!"
    "Why is my mg smoking and sound weird?!"

I've only played it for a few hours, but I noticed some inaccuracies. For instance, you can't mantle over anything. So if you run into a picket fence, you have to just walk around. I'm also pretty sure that tanks get stopped by fences too (and not only the ones that are actually supposed to stop tanks). Still, it seemed like a really cool game; even though I was really bad at it I found it much more enjoyable than Call of Duty. I just think that having a new engine with destructible terrain, etc, would give it much more potential for realism.