Thread: Guild Wars

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Guild Wars

Hey,

How many of you guys play Guild Wars?

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Default Re: Guild Wars

I used to, yet I've pretty much lost interest in the game.

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I just started playing it last week. Bought it for $50 from the local store.

Pretty good game. I really like it because it is diffrent from those other games; where you just keeping killing and killing (End result= very boring games). In GW thousands of quests.

My username is Iron Chancellor on GW.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I used to play lots when the game came out in 2005 (????)

I had basically a fully decked out Prophecy account, but then lost interest before the first expansion came out and never got into the game again
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Used to play since Prophecies, played competitively for about two years (late 2005 onwards), quit around late 2007 - early 2008. I still log on occasionally to cash in on the tournament betting house.

You know, this thread made me think. Lately I've been looking for an action RPG that doesn't suck, something that puts emphasis on skillful playing or tactics instead of gear or horribly boring passive skills that enhance basic attacks and/or just activate by themselves based on a random chance. (I'm looking at you, Titan Quest! )

(Mount & Blade is one of the better games to fit the bill of skillful play and tactics, but unfortunately it's still somewhat limited in terms of content. Hopefully Taleworlds will keep adding to the game.)

In retrospect, GW did bring some fresh new air to the action RPG genre with its gameplay focus on tight small-team confrontations instead of soloing or huge disorganised brawls.
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 01-22-2009 at 07:37.

I used to play it also, haven't been able to get back into it mainly because It feels incomplete if I don't have the EOTN expansion and I can't afford it.

I have the complete set, though I haven't played in a while. You can enter Yusan Kanso into your friends list if you want an Orgah contact.
    Innovative Soy Solutions (TM) for a dynamically changing business environment.

I play... still log occassionally finishing off the last of my titles...

I used to be into the high-end of PVP, but cant be bothered anymore. Arena Net has made some truly terrible design decisions in terms of both PVP and PVE. At Prophecies release Guild Wars was a great game for PVP. Now it's just mediocre. The build up PVE play is good and the first time through it's fun, but there's a dire lack of interesting design space once you finish the game (ie. the developer's view of a challenge is to just make everything have bigger numbers than you).

These GW threads have a strange vibe of déjà vu...

Quote Originally Posted by Productivity
    The build up PVE play is good and the first time through it's fun, but there's a dire lack of interesting design space once you finish the game.
    Type /age, post a screenshot, and I'll tell you why you're bored with the game.

(ie. the developer's view of a challenge is to just make everything have bigger numbers than you)
    And that's different from other action RPGS exactly how?

If anything, the skill system provides GW with far more monster variance and viable character builds than most other action RPGs.

As for PvP, sure Anet has made mistakes. It's not news. But what's important, there's still no better game in GW's specific market - if there is, I'd surely like to hear of it.

Regarding balancing, trying out different stuff, nerfing and buffing, and changing mechanics over the lifetime of a game is quite normal and arguably the best way to go about the process. It's how games evolve. And the information age has made this process a lot faster than it used to be; chess took literally centuries to reach the form it has now, so did go, so did football.

Also, the high-end PvP community pretty much universally agrees that the golden age of GW PvP (with the highest amount of competition and the most variety in teams and builds) began just before Factions release, certainly not at Prophecies start. A lesser golden age at top PvP happened some time after Nightfall release, after the worst NF skill imbalances had been fixed.

No matter how you slice it, the game has been hugely improved since Prophecies - it's vastly more accessible, grind is minimal, PvE and PvP characters are actually equal now, the automated tournament systems facilitate competition, balancing is done in a structured manner. The game's just getting old, so people are playing less.
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 01-25-2009 at 12:14.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

I've put many, many hours into it, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Lately, however, I've gotten somewhat bored with it, and since the final release version of Mount & Blade came out I haven't had much time for anything else.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I got GW and Factions, that all me got. Anyone here looking for a Guild by the way?

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ||GoTW||Warman8||Sldr||-III-|| View Post
    I got GW and Factions, that all me got. Anyone here looking for a Guild by the way?
    All you need now is Nightfall, and GWEN, and you are all set.