Thread: Feudalism

Default Feudalism

Feudalism

- An interactive game for MTWII -

This game is a mixture between LotR and the Hotseat games. If you're looking for human interaction and a game filled with politics and intrigue, this is your game.

France (Tristan de Castelrang)
    - Duchy of Aquitaine
    - Duchy of Toulouse
    - County of Anjou
    - County of Champagne
    - Duchy of Burgundy (Zim)
    - County of Provence
    England
    - Earldom of Wessex (oz_wwjd)
    - Earldom of Mercia (_Bean_)
    - Earldom of Northumbria
    - Duchy of Normandy (Ramses II CP)
    HRE
    - Duchy of Saxony
    - Landgrave of Brandenburg (Mjolnir)
    - Duchy of Bavaria
    - Landgrave of Austria
    - Duchy of Franconia
    - Duchy of Swabia
    - Count of Rheinfelden
    - Duchy of Upper Lorraine
    - Duchy of Lower Lorriane
    - Kingdom of Bohemia

Rules:

Startup

1.1: Each player upon signup will get to choose a feudal title in one of three medieval kingdoms - France, England, and The Holy Roman Empire

1.2: The first three players will be able to choose one of the crowns of the three kingdoms.

1.3: The three sovereigns - the kings of France and England and the Holy Roman emperor - may choose a province and a province for their own personal demesne.

1.4: Along with that feudal title, each player will receive the relevant province that corresponds with his/her title. (I.e. Duchy of Saxony receives Hamburg)

How the game works

2.1 All players will hold a rank during the lifetime of each character. Here are the different ranks listed below.

2.2 – Gaining and Losing Provinces: Noblemen gain control of all provinces they personally conquer. In the event that multiple Noblemen are part of the conquering army, the Nobleman controlled by the player who actually fought the battle is considered the conqueror. If the battle is autoresolved, the commanding Nobleman is considered the conqueror. If no Nobleman is involved in the battle whatsoever, the Sovereign is considered the conqueror. Noblemen can only lose control of one of their provinces if they voluntarily give it to another Noblemen or the Sovereign, if it is conquered by an AI faction, if it is conquered by a human faction, or if it is occupied by the army of a Noblemen who has made a Declaration of War against them (See Section 5).

2.3 – Retinue: At any time, a Nobleman may give any retinue item/member they possess to another Nobleman or remove it from their avatar without giving it to anyone else. If a retinue item/member cannot be transferred or removed due to game coding or distance between avatars, console commands may be used to allow the transfer or removal. If, at any time, a Nobleman possess a retinue 'title' to a province they do not own, that Nobleman will be required to immediately transfer that retinue 'title' to the Nobleman who controls that province. If the Nobleman who controls the province already has a full retinue, he may either transfer or remove one of his own retinue to make room for the 'title' or have the 'title' deleted.

2.4 – Wills & Inheritance: On his death, all of a Nobleman's provinces and retinue are distributed according to the most recent valid Will. In order for a Will to be valid, it must have been posted in a public thread or PMed to Ignoramus prior to the Nobleman's death. Except as noted below, a Will provision is only valid to the extent that it names a living, avatar that is controlled by another player as the inheritor of the province or retinue stated. If a player has more than one biological child, he must split his inheritance(province wise) between the children. A player's next avatar may only inherit a single province and a single retinue. A Will may name multiple Noblemen as inheritors, so long as each province and/or retinue is only bequeathed to a single Nobleman. A Nobleman may leave his lands to the Sovereign if he has no children(biological or adopted). Any provisions of the Will that do not meet these requirements will be invalid. Valid provisions of a Will will not be negated due to the existence of invalid provisions in the same Will. If there is no valid Will provision for an owned province, the Nobleman's immediate Lord gains possession of the province. If the Nobleman also has no Lord, the Sovereign gains possession of the province.

2.5 – Oaths of Fealty: In order to become a vassal of another player, a Nobleman must take an Oath of Fealty by specifically swearing allegiance to that player in a public thread. The prospective Lord has the right to refuse to accept the Oath. An Oath of Fealty can be broken if either the Lord or the Vassal specifically revokes it in a public thread. A Nobleman can only have one Lord at a time, but he may have an unlimited number of Vassals. Oaths of Fealty cannot be sworn or broken while the Royal Court is in session.

2.6 – English Oaths of Fealty Rule:(Applies to the English faction only) All Noblemen automatically swear an oath of liege homage to the English king. This means that in a conflict between the king and their lord, they are honour-bound to follow the king's side.

2.7. All Oaths of Fealty may be broken by Noblemen.

Supporter:
    Requirements: Must have sworn to serve a nobleman and be accepted by that nobleman.
    Influence: None(unable to vote)
    Powers:
    (1) Can second proposals proposed by the nobleman they are serving.
    (2) Can be appointed to command the garrison of a town, castle, or fort owned by their nobleman.
    (3) Can be designated by the nobleman as their heir and thus inherit their lord's estate.

Penalties:
    (1) Cannot own a province.
    (2) Cannot lead an army in battle.
    (3) Does not have an avatar.
    (4) Cannot vote in the Royal Court

Nobleman:
    Requirements: Must have personal control of a province. Must be appointed by the king.
    Influence: 1 per province held + number of supporters - 1 for each lord above you
    Powers:
    (1) Can propose a maximum of two proposals per each meeting of the Royal Court.
    (2) Can set the build queue and tax rate for their settlements. Can destroy any building in their settlements. Can rename any settlement under their control at any time.
    (3) All provinces conquered by any of their vassals become their property.
    (4) Once every 10 turns, can order the destruction of one building in any settlement owned by any vassal of theirs. Buildings in the barracks, archery range, stable, siege engine, and gunsmith lines cannot be destroyed.
    (5) Once every 10 turns, can force a transfer of one retinue member/item from any nobleman swearing allegiance to themselves or any one of their vassals.

Sovereign:
    Requirements: Must be either the in-game faction leader, or elected king by the vote of the Royal Court.
    Influence: Amount of authority + number of direct vassals.(If elected king, then substitute command for authority)
    Powers:
    (1) Can propose an unlimited number of proposals at the Royal Court and their proposals do not need to be seconded.
    (2) Can set the build queue and tax rate for their settlements and all settlements under their control. Can destroy any building in their settlement and all unallocated settlements under their control. Can rename any settlement under their control at any time.
    (4) Inherits the estate of any nobleman who leaves no heir in their will.
    (5) If the heir of a nobleman's estate is a boy and underage, he can either administer the estates or grant the administration of the estates to another nobleman until the heir comes of age.
    (6) If the heir of a nobleman's estates is a girl and unmarried, he chooses to whom the young lady is to be married to.
    (7) Once every 10 turns, can destroy one building in any settlement owned by any Nobleman in allegiance to him. Buildings in the barracks, archery range, stable, siege engine, and gunsmith lines cannot be destroyed with this power.
    (8) Once every 10 turns, can force a transfer of one retinue member/item from any Nobleman in allegiance to him to themselves or anyone else in their chain of followers.
    (8) Can declare war on any faction at any time, for any reason.
    (9) Can veto one proposal per 4 ranks of Authority.
    (10) Decides which nobleman, if any, a Princess should marry.
    (11) Can ban nobleman from attending the Royal Court. Banned Senators cannot speak or propose proposals, but they are permitted to vote.
    (12) Can adjudicate on rule disputes. However, if a rule dispute directly involves the Sovereign or the Prince, the nobleman with the most influence will be the adjudicator. If there are multiple nobleman of that influence, the dispute will be decided between them by a simple, unweighted vote. In the event of a tie, the Sovereign will cast a tie-breaking vote.
    (13) Can rename the kingdom at any time.
    (14) Can move the Capital at any time, as long as the new Capital is controlled by the Sovereign.
    Banishment
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read:

(16) The two offices of Lord High Chancellor and Lord High Steward, as well as the Privy Seal, can be assigned by the Sovereign to any Noblemen. Only one of them may be assigned to each Nobleman, and each adds +1 to that Nobleman's Influence. If the Sovereign chooses to keep these retinue himself, he does not receive the Stat Influence bonus.
    Penalties:
    Inheritance: On the death of a Sovereign, the new Sovereign takes control of all provinces owned by the previous Sovereign, unless they were given away by a valid Will. The new Sovereign retains possession of any provinces he controlled prior to inheriting the throne..

Bishop:
    Requirements: Must be an in-game priest with the Bishop trait.
    Influence: 1
    Powers:
    (1) Can be appointed to an Archbishopric.

Penalties:
    (1) Must not vote against any proposals proposed by their Archbishop.

Archbishop:
    Requirements: Must be an in-game bishop.
    Influence: 2(if appointed to a diocese) + 1 for each bishop in diocese
    Powers:
    (1)Can propose a maximum of two proposals per each meeting of the Royal Court.
    (2) Can set the build queue and tax rate for their settlements. Can destroy any building in their settlements. Can rename any settlement under their control at any time.
    (4) Once every 10 turns, can order the destruction of one building in any settlement owned by any vassal of theirs. Buildings in the barracks, archery range, stable, siege engine, and gunsmith lines cannot be destroyed.
    (5) Once every 10 turns, can force a transfer of one retinue member/item from any nobleman swearing allegiance to themselves or any one of their vassals.

Penalties:
    (1) Cannot designate their heir(this falls to the Pope - Ignoramus)
    (2) Can only govern one province

German Archbishop:
    Requirements: Must have been appointed by the Holy Roman Emperor.
    Influence: 3 + 1 for each bishop in diocese + 1 if an elector.
    Powers:
    (1) Can propose a maximum of two proposals per each meeting of the Royal Court.
    (6) If Archbishop of Trier, Mainz, or Cologne, may vote for the Holy Roman Empire.

Penalties:
    (1) Cannot designate their heir(this falls to the Emperor).
    (2) Can only govern one province.

3.1 –Sessions: The Royal Court/Imperial Diet will meet in a Normal Session every 10 turns. Out of session, there can be open debate and deliberations. Each Normal and Emergency Session consists of 3 real time days of debate, followed by 2 real time days of voting. Ignoramus can change the length of the sessions at will.

3.2 – Proposing Legislation: During each meeting of the Royal Court/Imperial Diet, noblemen may propose proposals for the Sovereign's consideration, up to the limit allowed by their rank. Proposals must be seconded by two other Senators before they can be put to the vote.

3.3 – Proposals: Proposals require a simple majority of weighted votes to pass and remain in effect until the next meeting of the Royal Court. Tied Proposals fail. Edicts cannot contradict the Game Rules.

3.4 – Codex Amendments: Amendments require a two-thirds majority of weighted votes to pass and remain in effect permanently, or until repealed by another Codex Amendment. Codex Amendments can only be enforced by IC means. Codex Amendments cannot contradict the Game Rules. (Modified by CA 6.1)

3.5 – Rule Changes: Rule Changes require a two-thirds majority of unweighted votes (1 vote per player) to pass. Rule Changes can permanently change the Game Rules. Any player can propose Rule Changes, regardless of IC rank. TinCow can veto any proposed Rule Change, but does not vote. Game Rules are enforced by IC or OOC means, as TinCow sees fit. (Added by CA 6.1)

3.6 – Influence: Apart from normal influence, there are certain things that can increase one's influence.

I. Marriage to a royal princess. (+2 influence)
    II. Heir Apparent. (+3 influence)
    III. More than 7 command. (+1 influence)
    IV. More than 7 piety. (+1 influence)
    V. More than 5 chivalry. (+1 influence)
    VI. More than 5 dread. (+1 influence)
    VII. More than 45 years of age(+1 influence)
    VIII. Greatest General in the kingdom. (+2 influence)

3.7 – War: Any declaration of war must be authorized by the King.

3.8 – Deposing the King: The King can be deposed and forced to abdicate by a two-thirds majority vote of the Royal Court. Deposition takes effect immediately after the vote is passed. After the deposition, the heir is promoted to the position of king, although if the nobles want, they can nominate another candidate of noble rank. The new king replacing the previous king, immediately takes control of the kingdom.

3.9 – Election of the Holy Roman Emperor: The Holy Roman Emperor is elected by the seven electors of the HRE, namely: Duke of Saxony, Archbishop of Mainz, Archbishop of Trier, Archbishop of Cologne, King of Bohemia, Count Palatine, Landgrave of Brandenburg.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 02-27-2009 at 02:16.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Re: Feudalism

I may not be able to be active enough to be a sovereign. Could I join as the Duke of Burgundy?
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I would be interested in one of the HRE positions. What mods will we be using?

My AAR: Basileion Bosphorou: a Tale of the Pontos Euxeinos

Tribvnvs Caivs Aemilivs Mamercvs - BtSH

Strategos Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes - WotB

From Antinous:

@Zim: Certainly, I'll sign you up.

@Mjolnir: It depends on the majority. We could go SS6.1, in which case there'd be more provinces, but I'll go with what's easiest for the majority of people.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it was Stainless Steel 4.1

Must say that I'm impressed with this. As I understand the Sovereign acts as a Megas Logothetes in LotR. Ending turn and things like that? Will the others be able to take the save too??
    Also, you are missing point 15 in Sovereigns powers

Thanks, my mistake.

Yes, the sovereign ends the turn, manages recruitment and construction etc. All players with avatars can access the save and move their avatars and fight battles, but this has to be done within a 48 hour time period, as we have 3 faction turns to go through.

Also, as it's a Hotseat, players will have to autoresolve battles against other players. I'm undecided whether to allow them to fight against the other factions, mainly because of time constraints.

I think I might have just forgotten to renumber the points; I'll take a look.

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Would you have me as the French Sovereign or Count of Provence ?
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

I'm not too particular on the mod, I just don't want to play vanilla. I'll take the Landgrave of Brandenburg.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 01-22-2009 at 18:05.

My AAR: Basileion Bosphorou: a Tale of the Pontos Euxeinos

Tribvnvs Caivs Aemilivs Mamercvs - BtSH

Strategos Bithys Nisaias Parthiakes - WotB

From Antinous:

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng View Post
    Would you have me as the French Sovereign or Count of Provence ?
    Your choice, though I'm sure you'll enjoy being sovereign more than a Count.

@Ramses: I put you down as Normandy, I trust that's ok?

I'd be interested in playing as well,as something england,but it really depends on what mod we end up using as right now I'm using VanillaMod,and I think running 2 mods at once would mess up my game..

Ok, I'll put you down as Earl of Wessex. What's VanillaMod like?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oz_wwjd View Post
    I'd be interested in playing as well,as something england,but it really depends on what mod we end up using as right now I'm using VanillaMod,and I think running 2 mods at once would mess up my game..
    If you downloaded the game from Steam them probably it will mess up your game.

Also, I started a game similar to this in twcenter but due to inactivity of the players it .. well.. looks like that game died.

But if you want to have some ideas for your rules or for this game then check out rules for that game: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...78#post4065778

Are you interested in participating, Ibn-Khaldun? Even in a minor role?

Blog Entries

At the moment I'm not sure. It depends what will happen in the upcoming week in RL.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Perhaps the latest LTC mod is best. Simple yet refined.

I must admit, Toulouse is tempting. Or Provence. hmmm
    Last edited by Vladimir; 01-30-2009 at 16:20.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ok then, LTC it is.

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

has this thing ever started? seems to a bit dead..

I like the concept though. I can't play in weekends (posting on boards very ltd aswel too) yet if this thing ever starts, I'm game :)

dead :'(
    Last edited by mini; 02-24-2009 at 16:29.

anyone up for a revival? ;p

Guess not :D

A shame, there should be more PBM's ^^ but I guess we do not have the ppl for it.

It'll take some time to get more people.

I know, but I missed the PBM with the HRE unfortunately, but I really like the concepts :)
    You can't find these anywhere else.

Think the same system could be fun with france aswel, or a redo of HRE.
    If we only got a handful of players, countries like england could also turn out alright :)

The OT proposition combines, so that's even more awesome :D And if I got it straight it's only 10 peepz or so.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Since Mini is intent in joining every single PBM ever thought of, and I'm still bogged down in one, I'll be happy to sign up if you guys are still looking for players.

I'd like to have Mercia if thats alright.
    Last edited by /Bean\; 02-26-2009 at 15:44.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

doesn't have to be the same format as above for me.
    a kind of Lotr on a smaller scale perhaps, a smaller faction, Like england for instance, or france, or HRE (not really mall anymore but hey)

the universal person Member everyone's Avatar

since this still looks interesting and probably isn't dead yet, I'd like to have Saxony
    LTC is still the confirmed mod we'll be using right?
    Last edited by everyone; 02-28-2009 at 08:36.

as this thing was totally dead, we'll have to revive it, and all options are open considering gameformat and usedm od / rules :)