Thread: Africa and Spain battle CTDs.

Default Africa and Spain battle CTDs.

Okay, I've done everything I could without posting this problem. Hopefully someone can help...

I'm using EB 1.2. I have the normal Rome: Total War game. I use a no-cd thing because my R:TW cd is scratched to hell. I let someone borrow the game, who turned out not to like it, and I got it back basically destroyed, so if there is another way to play it without the CD, great. But I do not think that is causing it, it has to be some bug in EB. I didn't have this problem playing the game normally.

I'm playing as Romanii. I've taken all of spain/Portugal, so I've not dealing with these there anymore, just because if I do have to fight it's a short, small battle with a rebel army. I'm now working my away into Africa and I'm getting these again, same problem with in Spain.

What happens is I always save the game before a battle, but it's not that I'm fighting it after my turn. I save it on my turn, and then try to fight the battle on my turn, on my choice, so I don't think the solution is to not save it like the sticky suggests. The selection to fight pops up, I select to fight the battle on the map, and then the load screen pops up, loads for a few seconds and then I get a crash.

It happens pretty regularly, but only in Spain and Africa so far. I fight battles in Germany and Greece and I don't get this problem, so far. I am going to keep saving it for this reason. I did the validation thing which I posted below, but nothing in there looks like it would have an effect on this, being it is a very specific area of the map. If I'm wrong, then great, you guys can help.

Also, I'm getting those spam reform markers in carthage's cities. I didn't get them in Spain so I don't think that is causing it. Those arn't too big of a deal for me anyway. I just don't want this game crashing all the time.

validation:

You don't have an original installation; There are changes to files, or some are missing.
    However, these may be conscious changes you have made, to remod EB. See below for details.
    ==========
    Changed file: .\data\descr_arrow_trail_effects_final.txt (expected checksum 4e50ed8c1a6625c101cea0c71062c94f, got de783fafcadbd4caa710d79edb38a59a)
    Changed file: .\data\descr_surface_fire.txt (expected checksum 6e82d50b514e70b8a2c6accbd39680f6, got c2ecf65971bfb7c135e62a23d0421f83)
    Changed file: .\data\text\caesar_in_gaul_wip_5_regions_and_settlement_names.txt (expected checksum c08c87669b79ae4c5c1c7dda8f8683c5, got 893c29ac0fee8ca8f029bc1d086da1da)
    Changed file: .\eb\data\descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt (expected checksum cb93a428e536cfa294ff85bf1d9ceca1, got 23942befd1eebbd7b829f750745c3081)
    Changed file: .\rometw.exe (expected checksum de01375b675cbd95b7efcb745e72ead6, got 632f884ca993a430038a03d76bfa2f50)
    Added file: .\eb configuration.lnk
    Added file: .\eb multi player.lnk
    Added file: .\eb preferences.lnk
    Added file: .\eb single player.lnk
    Added file: .\ebvalidationresults.txt

Here is my saved game:
    http://www.axifile.com/?1896890

I hope that is enough information.
    Last edited by thecellarlife; 01-23-2009 at 11:19.

Default Re: Africa and Spain battle CTDs.

Have you got the fixes? I think that will eliminate the battle loading crashes.

As for the reform marker spam, that should be a concern for you, for they will make your game unavoidably crash sometime later. I'll load your game and see if I can see why they would be spamming. Please nudge me if I haven't done so by next weekend.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thanks for taking a look, I'll keep a saved game from this point to make sure I have a game that can be fixed as far as the spam markers go.

I'll download all the fixes now. Thanks.
    Last edited by thecellarlife; 01-23-2009 at 12:50.

Can you please download the optional fix I just made from the 1.2 fixes and see if that makes the reform markers stop spamming? The ones which are already there will remain, but I hope that there will become no more of them.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

thanks for working on it. I'm glad I could bring something to your attention for anyone else having this problem. I feel like I've contributed to improving this game. ha, first time for everything. thanks again, i'll see if it fixes it. I'll keep you updated on any other issues.

the battle CTDs are still happening unfortunately but still only in Africa and Spain. I'm not sure if they will continue if I begin a new game, but I get do them less often at least. Maybe after adding this patch they will stop being that africa is the area with the markers.

good looking out man.

Okay, I just played for about an hour and after taking over a new carthage city, no reform marker. So good job, it seemed to fix it like you said. No removing of the old ones, like you said, but thats fine if it fixes the crash problem that might occur later.

Still getting the CTDs on battles when I try to fight them in Africa, like I said it's decreased in frequency but still happens. Kind of annoying, so if you get a chance to look at the problems in that area of the map, that'd be great.

Also, if there is information on how to fix these problems myself via the script files, I'd gladly try and help. I don't know if the knowledge required to edit those is pretty high, but I can learn if you can recommend some guides and information.

I posted my new save game file so you can see how the fix worked (the 3rd city in africa from the west, i forget the name) and if there is anything that can be done about the battle CTDs. Like I said, it's just in Spain and Africa. Thanks again, been a big help.

http://www.axifile.com/?4037346

let me know if you want the validate info.

Thanks, then I'll bump the fix up to permanent status.

Are you sure you installed the fix for the missing sprites correctly? Those are pretty much the only reason for crashes when loading a battle...

================
    ================

if there is a specific folder within the eb "data" folder that they're supposed to go, then no i didn't. i'll look at it. thanks again for the fix.

No, it's supposed to go to the data folder, like the rest of them. I may take the time at some point to see why it would crash, but make no promises.

================
    ================

well, i figured out why i was still getting the battle CTDs. I put the fix in the Rtw Data folder by mistake. So those have stopped, but now I am getting the crashes whenever a diplomat moves after I end my turn. I can avoid these, but I figured I'd bring them to your attention, in case it was something in the fix that is causing them.

So far so good on everything else though. No more reform markers are spamming, and I haven't had a battle crash since I put the fix in the right folder. So thanks again, let me know if there is another fix besides the ones on the page that can fix the diplomat problem.

This is another problem entirely. See the frequent issues for AI-turn crashes.

================
    ================