Thread: Speed Limits

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Default Speed Limits

So I recived a research task at school asking me to write about the speed limits of other European countries in comparison to the UK; Problem is I don't even know the speed limits for cars in the UK, never mind anywhere else. I've tried to look it up in search engines without much favourable result, probably because I've not looked hard enough. But then I thought I could always ask for help from the cooperative, dependable and couthie orgahs within the guild. So I ask for you help now.

Quoted from the 'Research Study Report'

'Compare the speed limits today for cars in Great Britain with those of two other European countries. Display your finding in the most appropriate way.'

It would be nice if you could give me a few tips on this question as well

Give reasons why there have been changes to speed limits for cars in Great Britain during the last hundred years.

I'll probably start taking driving lessons in the next few years, but before all that, I'm baffled by all that its asking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edit: Also I would also like to know who designed the first speed camera. I got the answer Maus Gatsonides but would like some confirmation on that.
    Last edited by Quintus.JC; 01-26-2009 at 22:41.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Default Re: Speed Limits

well they vary ;)

in built up areas it tends to be 30 mph

on motorways it is 70 mph

the national speed limit is 70 mph or 60 mph on a single lane road (1 each way) which covers country lanes and bypasses and the like...

In between 30-70 im sure there some kind of guidelines they set the speed limits based on like sharpness of corners and amount of houses nearby, but i can't think how to describe other speed limits...
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 01-27-2009 at 03:42.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Tribune of the Plebeians Member Guildenstern's Avatar

This is a link for what concerns the situation in Italy:

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-italy.htm

The web site also gives some information about driving rules in other European countries. Just have a look at the "Driving in Europe" section on the page I linked.

Hope this helps.
    Omnia enim plerumque quae absunt vehementius hominum mentes perturbant.
    For generally all evils which are distant most powerfully alarm men's minds.
    Gaius Julius Caesar

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    John Lennon

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

In Greece:

Motorway: 130
    Fast Road: 110
    Normal Roads: 90
    Town: 50

Basically they will usually not fine you on a 130km piece of highway unless you go above 145-150...

...I was doing 154 :(
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Post Re: Speed Limits

UK usually:
    EDIT: Optional 20 mph near some schools.
    20 mph in some really built up often really small streets
    30 mph in built up areas
    40 mph in less built up areas (e.g. where houses are only on one side of the road or the houses are well spaced apart). Also occasionally on other roads close to dangerous junctions.
    50 mph on dangerous pieces of single carriage roads. This also occasionally applies to motorways/dual carriageway roads as they enter a city.
    60 mph on standard single carriage way roads and most areas of dual carriageway.
    70 mph on most areas of motorway (although the average speed of most cars on most motorways is at a guess about 80 mph. In the inside lane it is probably well over that)

Motorway roads are Ax (M) and Mx roads where x refers to a number. Dual carriage roads are usually Ax and single carriage are usually Ax or Bx.

Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 01-27-2009 at 16:53.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

In some towns the limit is reduced to 20mph near schools, also the nominal national speed limit on dual carriageways is 70mph (although it is typically lower than this).

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello,

In The Netherlands:

30 km/h in some urban areas (schools, clusters of houses)
    50 km/h in urban areas
    60 km/h or 70 km/h or 80 km/h or 100 km/h on some roads (single, double, triple or more lanes, nor houses etc matters)
    80, 100 or 120 km/h on highways

Maximum speed also depends on the vehicle. You can do 120 km/h on the highway, but not with a trailer (limited to 80 km/h).

We also have a minimum speed of 70km/h for highways, that may seem slow, but you'll wish you could achieve that when standing in traffic jam #13 for an hour.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Belgium:

* 50 km/h in urban areas, but brought down to 30 km/h near schools. Sometimes also in certain urban areas for reasons beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.
    * 90 km/h on other roads, but often brought back to 70 km/h for reasons beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.
    * 120 km/h on the highway, unless pollution in the air is high ("smog"), then it's 90 km/h, politicians say it helps, scientists say it doesn't. Mere mortals stick to the speed limit or get fined.

Trucks are not allowed to go faster than 90 km/h on highways.

Your vehicle must be able to do 70 km/h when you go on the highway.
    Last edited by Andres; 01-27-2009 at 17:13.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

we have two different speed limits in Norway:

In urban areas: 50 km/h
    In non-urban areas: 80 km/h

Those are the basic ones. If there are other limits, then it's because of road standards, dense population, lots of accidents in the past, etc. You've got every decimal from 30 to 100(which is the maximum). Usually it's because of the following:

25/30: very dense urban areas, typically with narrow streets, no side-walk for pedestrians, lots of children, etc
    40: usually in urban areas without a side-walk. Also usual in city centres.
    60: much used on main roads going through cities.
    70: usually on accident-prone non-urban roads. Ie. ones with lots of sharp turns, etc.
    90: Used on Highways. The two directions have to be separated with barriers.
    100. Used on Highways. The two directions have to be separated with major barriers, typically a 5-10 metre ditch, anything that makes it impossible for a car to end up in the wrong side of the road.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Fellow orgahs, you all have been extremely helpful. Your help have made this report into a potential piece of cake, though not the sort you would think of eating.

The question was really vague. It asked for the speed limit for a European country, but did not specify which area and lane its asking, but I suppose I'll just pick up easy marks for mentioning this fact.

Thanks again for all your helps.

Blog Entries

I had one for science in the news for congestion charging, that was easy though

Any fluent german speakers here? i need help with my german coursework
    Last edited by Thermal; 01-27-2009 at 20:00.

I didn't know Brits used "mph". I assumed that was reserved for metric system rejecting nation, which in my opinion is idiotic.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Texas

Regular roads 30-50 mph
    Access roads 50-60mph
    Highway 70mph
    West Texas 80 mph (But everyone goes 100mph)
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Washington State:
    25mph in residential neighborhoods
    25mph on the streets of most smaller towns and on small streets in bigger cities
    30-35 mph on larger streets and in bigger cities
    35mph outside of cities, as a minimum for country roads
    35-55mph for various country roads depending on size and habitation nearby
    55-65mph on highways - that is, a two lane road with cars traveling in either direction, but with no stop signs or traffic lights
    60-75mph on freeways - generally two lanes of traffic in each direction, often separated by a concrete barrier or more

For finding more information, I'd recommended asking the equivalent of a public works department or looking for laws guiding the setting of speed limits made by the government.

As a side note, speed limits are generally set too low for these modern times.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

As a side note, speed limits are generally set too low for these modern times.

Practically everyone breaks them, i think my mother and a large percentage of O.A.P's are the only ones who do stick to the limit.... or slower for our 'sunday drivers' the problem is if they increased the speed limit people would just go even faster again...

Give reasons why there have been changes to speed limits for cars in Great Britain during the last hundred years.

Firstly they got rid of a guy that used to have to walk out infront of the car... with a flag i think... god knows why.... they got rid of him and it went up to 15 mph i think.... after that its all down to improving cars and improving roads, motorways and single and dual carriageways probably pushed up the speed limit when they were introduced....
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 01-28-2009 at 03:31.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!