Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mounted Slingers

Default Re: Mounted Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Van Langenhove View Post
    Well I've done a little reading about Sassanid cavalry when working on a paper and I have read (don't know exactely which book it was in) that some their heavy cavalry (usually referred to as Cataphracts or Clibinarii) used slingers to soften enemy ranks before charging in to them with melee weapons. So mounted slinger units probably existed but probably not as a seperate unit type as we would use it in EB. But it would be correct if we applied them to heavy (cataphract cavalry), maybe instead of bows.
    They used slings or slingers? Because IMHO there is a greater chance of them using slingers(units) rather than slings as a cataphract weapon.

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Did YOU try using a sling on horseback? I don't think its impossible, its surely not easy but without trying I wouldnt pretend its impossible. If I didnt knew better I'd also think wielding a spear singlehanded is nigh-impossible but there might have been a few guys in the past beeing able to do so.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

well, maybe they use Y shaped slings instead, they are quite handy, and you can use them quite well on bicycle (just remember to learn ride without hands first)

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    well, maybe they use Y shaped slings instead, they are quite handy, and you can use them quite well on bicycle (just remember to learn ride without hands first)
    These are only useful to get rid of neighbours windows . Not break armor and cause injuries.

No I did not, I have used one though, and in the past when I had a horsegirl GF I have also ridden. The simple fact of it is that the sling is too long to use without smacking the horse, which is generally a bad idea. Only way to do so would be to whirl i parralel to the horse's flank- which would only allow you to shoot in one direction, or over your head- which to my knowledge makes it impossible to aim, you find a horse and try it, and let me know the result. I am not going to, horses are skittish animals that do not like being smacked by leather strings (not even warhorses likes that- and in any case if you could afford to train a warhorse, you would not be a slinger).

As for spears wielded one-handed that depends on the spear. I personally use mine two-handed, but it is light enough that in a pinch I can use it in one hand (especially when I get over my injured elbows), and we have lighter versions for use in one hand.
    That can be seen here http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...8&id=696459871, here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&id=696459871 and here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?pa...5&id=696459871, or wielded by my friend Nikolai here http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...3&id=696459871 and http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?i...7&id=696459871.

Good luck with your sling experiment.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Blog Entries

Well, they will have to learn to aim their Y shaped slings as indirect fire, rising their sling higher than horse's head. Anyway:
    Originally posted by Silence Hunter:
    These are only useful to get rid of neighbours windows . Not break armor and cause injuries.
    I can tell you, those kids on my neighbourhood are capable to create bumps on the metal dustbins... and My personal bad experiment in my primary school: I was once punished because I break my friend's upper-arm bone by using a rock and a sling... break bones! that was my childhood experiment with the Y shaped sling... and now, what did you expect from a squad of trained men with Y shaped slings?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As long as you didn't say "A bunch of big bad naughty boys that had unhappy childhood syndrome"

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Lets forget about the spear...so it is possible, if though its hard. Aiming in battle is AFAIK only an issue when your far away from the enemy. otherwise you rather need some skil to NOT hit someone...

Maybe Hunter was talking about a slingSHOT https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...8weapon%29.jpg
    and Cute Wolf about a staff sling, http://slinging.org/articleimages/23/staffsling1.gif
    also existing in an Y form

anyways

this page is kind of interesting http://slinging.org/index.php?page=s...--david-taylor
    Last edited by ziegenpeter; 01-28-2009 at 15:59.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Cute, I think you will find a distinct lack of rubber band in ancient times.

Peter, aiming as in making it fly generally the way you want and not just sideways.

Again good luck, were you Danish I would offer to visit you in the hospital. Call me preconcieved, but...
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Mounted Slingers

Well I've done a little reading about Sassanid cavalry when working on a paper and I have read (don't know exactely which book it was in) that some their heavy cavalry (usually referred to as Cataphracts or Clibinarii) used slingers to soften enemy ranks before charging in to them with melee weapons. So mounted slinger units probably existed but probably not as a seperate unit type as we would use it in EB. But it would be correct if we applied them to heavy (cataphract cavalry), maybe instead of bows.
    Interesting, could you look up the reference? Still, Sassanid are out of EB's time frame, and it may have been a one-off thing. Certainly, it would not be correct to give cataphracts slings, as noblemen would have used a bow.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

is on the outside looking out Member PraetorFigus's Avatar

Smile Re: Mounted Slingers

This is interesting, however impractical it seems. The key is using stirrups.

Without stirrups or some other way to even stabilize your legs there is no easy way to use a simple rope sling on horseback, even with stirrups the force needed for a sling seems greater then a bola, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So, ancient mounted slingers seems unlikely, also the training involved with using a sling to bow and the training to ride without stirrups and use melee weapons would certainly not favor mounted slinger troops.

And as said before, swinging a sling in a tower mounted on an elephant is also impractical because of how the tower moves (wobbles) as the elephant moves about, let alone being able to not hit anyone else on the elephant, and then if the elephant panics, forget it.

A quick search online I found this thread on Mounted Slingers starting with message #1861 http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ancien...scount=-30&l=1

They bring up a lot of what has been said here already.

The only other reference not talking about truck-"mounted slinger" was something on another game where slingers lay waste to a city... (second paragraph after the picture) http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/empire-earth-2/555274p1.html
    "One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it." Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

"Mortui Tantum Terminem Belli Viderunt" (Only the dead have seen the end of war)
    a technical memory solution

Maybe the texts about Ligurians and Sassanids mean that they carrying slings but not using them on horseback.

I suppose (Baseless conjecture) slingers could ride a horse up to a strategic location (top of a slope for example), get off the horse, pelt the enemy until they get close, mount up and ride away. This idea has a lot against it though, for one:

A horse is expensive and slings are usually regarded as a poorer man's weapon.
    ...at least put some spikes in your club for goodness sake!

To reply to the first quote, yes they used slings as a weapon, and when you are wealthy enough to get a horse powerful enough to carry that amount of full armour required for a cataphract I'm sure they could muster a bow too, so they would actually have to carry it to symbolise their status. And I want to emphasis, they did not use slings as their main weapon and probably, but that's just my own guess, when the horses were stationary.

As for the reasearch I'll see to it as soon as my classes start again, but that's only in another two weeks so patience my friends. I'll try to see if I could get some information online too (though that's mostely not half as reliable)

Quick update, on wikipedia they mention sling and pellets as an addition to the normal panoply they carry. But it doesn't imply it is a common usage.

Blog Entries

distinct lack of rubber band in ancient times.
    Oh yeah... my fault....

Wait,

I think I've heard of this before, about the Sassanid sling. Except it was like that one native American weapon to chuck a javelin (Atiatal? (sp)
    Last edited by russia almighty; 01-29-2009 at 13:57.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Huh, what? Did I miss something?
    Apparantly you did. Qwerty already was even planning to get them in EB 1 if he didn't have so few unitslots. They were left out as the Sabaeans needed more southern arabian units, and camels weren't used in warfare in Arabia much. However in northern Arabia they were used and if unitslots aren't going to be a problem this time they'll go in. There are a few more examples of Sabaean/arabian units that didn't get into EB 1 because of unitslots and because of the dissapearance from the faction's lead historians.

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Either he's telling the truth or the EB Official Misinformation Department (EBOMD) is trying a new plan.

To be more on topic, wouldn't a slinger on horseback be just as likely to brain his horse as hit the enemy? I've never used a sling but I have ridden a horse and it doesn't really seem possible
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Quick update, on wikipedia they mention sling and pellets as an addition to the normal panoply they carry. But it doesn't imply it is a common usage.
    Tim, so you study in Leuven? I do, and you're name suggest you're Flemish, and you're classes start at the same time as me.

Edit: Nope I'm quite serious about north arabian camel archers.
    Last edited by Moros; 01-29-2009 at 18:25.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Os-Q View Post
    A horse is expensive and slings are usually regarded as a poorer man's weapon.
    Use a donkey :D
    Quote Originally Posted by russia almighty View Post
    Wait,

I think I've heard of this before, about the Sassanid sling. Except it was like that one native American weapon to chuck a javelin (Atiatal? (sp)
    Atlatl?

"To be more on topic, wouldn't a slinger on horseback be just as likely to brain his horse as hit the enemy? I've never used a sling but I have ridden a horse and it doesn't really seem possible"

If you scroll up you will see that is basically my argument against it, but they persist...

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

You could have them like dragoons where they dismount to sling. It's still a useless idea.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Qwerty already was even planning to get them in EB 1 if he didn't have so few unitslots. They were left out as the Sabaeans needed more southern arabian units, and camels weren't used in warfare in Arabia much. However in northern Arabia they were used and if unitslots aren't going to be a problem this time they'll go in. There are a few more examples of Sabaean/arabian units that didn't get into EB 1 because of unitslots and because of the dissapearance from the faction's lead historians.
    Then why are the only references in our Saba thread on the internal forum saying that they were not used in battle and horses were preferred?

Edit: Searched for camel.
    Last edited by bovi; 01-30-2009 at 15:42.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Then why are the only references in our Saba thread on the internal forum saying that they were not used in battle and horses were preferred?

Edit: Searched for camel.
    By the sabaeans yes indeed. The sabaeans themselves never used them in battle well at least not as far as we know during our timeframe. There are two reliefs from around the 2nd A.D with men mounted on camels carrying spears though from saba.* However northern arabian tribes did use them mainly as archers though. Though there's one mention of using them as 'bulldozers' against light jewish infantry. Palmyrans, Belymnae, Nabataeans,... used them. Sabaeans and other southern arbians, and most other arabs however didn't use them.

A post of Qwerty and VC backing me up:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...6&postcount=16
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...8&postcount=25

Edit: thrust me bovi I'm not making this up for spicing up the unit rooster. Plus let us refrain from discussing future EB units in public before we start giving things away, heh!?
    Last edited by Moros; 01-30-2009 at 16:49.

By the sabaeans yes indeed. The sabaeans themselves never used them in battle well at least not as far as we know during our timeframe. There are two reliefs from around the 2nd A.D with men mounted on camels carrying spears though from saba.* However northern arabian tribes did use them mainly as archers though. Though there's one mention of using them as 'bulldozers' against light jewish infantry. Palmyrans, Belymnae, Nabataeans,... used them. Sabaeans and other southern arbians, and most other arabs however didn't use them.

A post of Qwerty and VC backing me up:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...6&postcount=16
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...8&postcount=25

Edit: thrust me bovi I'm not making this up for spicing up the unit rooster. Plus let us refrain from discussing future EB units in public before we start giving things away, heh!?
    The man on that stele is riding a horse, but yes, there is some evidence of camels being ridden in warfare in Southern Arabia, but a century or two after the EB timeframe. Then again, almost all of the evidence for Sabaean armament and costume is taken from monuments postdating the EB timeframe, so chances are good that they were used during the EB period, too.

MP yeah stupid me posted the wrong picture Gah! I'll look for the correct one.

Anyway for southern arabia I only know of evidence after our time frame, and specialist seem indeed to think that they weren't used by them. However there's enough evidence that in our time frame northen Arabians used them. And one camel unit is more than enough so where perfectly safe at that. (The only difference would merely be clothing so I think everyone is happy) It's historical and the fan camels get their camels, and it makes for a nicer unit rooster.

Thanks for those two links. I don't know how I missed them in my search.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Plus let us refrain from discussing future EB units in public before we start giving things away, heh!?
    Atleast thsi way when you release EB2, you won't get a wall of 'OMGWTFCAMLESHAX!.'
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Thanks for those two links. I don't know how I missed them in my search.
    Well that's my job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12