Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games You're Looking Forward to

Default Games You're Looking Forward to

Any games of 2009 you're looking forward to? Post them here!

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Butcher Bay was one of the best FPS games on the Xbox, not only did it revolutionize how FPS games were made, it was still ahead of its time. I know there has been a lot of sci-fi games releasing lately, but this game so far stands out from the rest since it's one of those rare stealth-action games.

GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned (DLC)

GTA IV was too short, and the only thing that keeps it alive is its authentic multiplayer mode. I was hoping for Rockstar to make a DLC adding characters or cities from past GTA games, but I have a feeling this won't disappoint.

The "APB" is also an excellent idea, taking GTA IV and putting it online, like an MMORPG only with a 26 player limit. Microsoft are taking more advantage of this game than Sony is.

Mafia 2

Another game I had to check out, it's a sandbox game set around the 40s and the 50s. It looks like the game has a decent story and is worth the anticipation, despite the horrible original.

I don't think anything needs to be said about these:

-Godfather II
    - Street Fighter IV
    - Killzone 2

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Finally, a superhero game that doesn't look like it's going to screw up. A lot of Batman villains have been confirmed, and it sure doesn't look like all the other beat 'em ups'. It's an open-world game (sort of) set in the Arkham Asylum, a giant prison filled with villains. Also, it's more of an investigation and stealth game than an action-adventure, I don't think there has been any forensics game since CSI. Powered by Unreal 3.
    Last edited by Paradox; 01-25-2009 at 19:39.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Games You're Looking Forward to

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad I View Post
    Mafia 2

Another game I had to check out, it's a sandbox game set around the 40s and the 50s. It looks like the game has a decent story and is worth the anticipation, despite the horrible original.
    Horrible original?!

Regardless of your heresy, I too am looking forward to Mafia 2.

Also DoW II.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Horrible original?!

Regardless of your heresy, I too am looking forward to Mafia 2.

Also DoW II.

CR
    I'm assuming you've played the PC version, and not the crappy PS2 version.

Darkfall - MMORPG with freeform PvP, full looting, skill-based character system, low emphasis on gear, mounted combat, actual aiming of sword blows, arrows and spells, completely player-driven politics and economy. Looks friggin' awesome on paper; then again, anything does.

Demigod - DotA-inspired RTS from Gas Powered Games.

Starcraft 2 - Well, can't really avoid this one so it'll be checked out kinda by default...

Diablo 3 - Ditto.

King's Bounty: Armored Princess - expansion pack for King's Bounty: the Legend. More of the same hilariously psychopathic dialogue cannot go wrong, and of course there's the great HoMM-style combat. And zombie spouses. And pirates.

Dragon Age - it's kinda unsurprising for this to be on any most wanted list, right?

Star Trek Online - keeping an eye on this one just in case, games about starship combat are so scarce.

Evochron Legends - more space sim goodness... maybe. This game might find its place as a Freelancer-like space shooter multiplayer game. Another one of those potential dark horse, potential meh games.
    Last edited by Crandaeolon; 01-25-2009 at 22:04.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Empire:TW

:remembers that he has decided to buy a Mac:

Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

The main one I'm tracking is Elemental: War of Magic. The pre-purchase beta test starts in June, and I'm really looking forward to it. Since spring and summer is a period where I don't have much free time for gaming, it might be the only one I spend much time on.

I'm still not sure if I'll bother with Empire:Total War. Normally I'd be very interested, but I'm not sure about a commitment to Steam, and I want to read some user feedback on how far they've dumbed-down the sailing model. I'm not a big fan of this era or type of army, and the sail combat is the main draw for me.

Dragon Age is another one where I'd normally be all over it, being a former Balder's Gate/Icewind Dale/NWN1/NWN2 fan. But I saw a trailer with a cut scene that put me off a little. The dialog and plot seemed more juvenile and hackneyed than I was expecting from Bioware, but maybe the full game is better than it looks from that one exposure. Or maybe the new game engine will be good enough to be worth gritting my teeth through any worn-out cliche's. I think playing The Witcher has spoiled me, by showing a different take on sword and sorcery (although even THAT one couldn't avoid dwarves and elves). Anyway, I'm following the game's progress and will probably end up getting it.

Other than that, not much on my radar. Maybe the upcoming mini-expansions for Fallout 3.

Evochron Legends? I hadn't heard of that series before. I'm a sucker for cockpit-level space games, good or bad, so I'll probably give it a shot. Thanks for the heads-up!
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Games You're Looking Forward to

Starcraft 2 - I mean, it has Jim Raynor, the coolest sci-fi hero ever. And I'm pretty sure he'll mary Kerrigan in the end. And, even though I vastly prefered W3, SC was still a good game.

Dawn of War 2 - Because Warhammer 40K is probably one of the best settins available for a video game. Unhappilly, according to beta testers, it's currently not as great as DoW1 and looks like a half arsed CoH.

Diablo3 - I don't know how, but I'm sure clicking on my mouse like a crazy rabbit on LSD will never be as entertaining as Diablo3

Empire Total War - Even though I thought RTW and M2TW were only shades of STW and MTW, I'm still excited by this one, probably because I've been to New England and I'm a little more knowledgeable on american history now.

And thanks to that topic, I discovered Dragon Age. If it's only half as good as Baldur's Gate 2, it will still be better than 90% of the games released in the last 4 years... Let's hope.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Well in the near future I'm looking forward to (or at least hoping they don't disappoint):
    Tenchu 4
    Deadly Creatures
    Mad World
    House of the Dead: Overkill
    Street Fighter 4
    Resident Evil 5

Depending on reviews and word of mouth, I expect to cross some of these of my list. But for now, I'm hoping they're all winners.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woad&fangs View Post
    Empire:TW

I have good news for you. You do have a legitimate copy of Windows XP laying about, right?

I'm looking forward to Empire TW and Dragon Age. Haven't given much thought to anything else. There's a new Mafia game? Fantastic! Loved the original (on PC, naturally).

Mafia 2
    ETW
    WiC Soviet Assault (PS3, if the controls are as good as they are supposed to be)
    The Witcher: White Wolf
    Gran Tourismo 5
    Colin McRae DIRT 2
    maybe HAWX if it isn't too arcadish
    possibly Heavy Rain
    Uncharted 2
    Last edited by Husar; 01-26-2009 at 06:42.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

HistWar: Les Grognards

FEAR 2: Project Origin
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

For 2009, Empire Total War easily tops the list of games that I'm interested in. War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition is another notable mention (that is, if Matrix ever gets around to releasing it).

In 2010, there's really only one game that holds my interest: Elemental War of Magic. If it's even half as good as GalCiv 2 is, I may never see the sun again.
    Last edited by Martok; 01-26-2009 at 07:49. Reason: oops
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Empire: Total War
    Dawn of War: II
    Maybe the Sims 3, could be fun.
    SF4.
    Diablo 3 if it comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Halo Wars, it`s the last game from the studio behind the Age of Empires series. Also I`m a massive Halo fanboy
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

My most anticipated game right now is the Batman game. I also cannot for the new Fatal Frame and The Conduit for the Wii, not that many good titles lately it really needs something fresh.

Mac can run windows with bootcamp, works fine, even Vista isn't a total disaster on the mac.
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-26-2009 at 10:36.

Not looking forward to much this year really, I'l watch for various indie games but I've pretty much given up on commercial games, 90% of the time they have nothing but a cruddy linear storyline and if even if they don't the dev's probably spent 20 minutes copy and pasting code from other games and went out for drinks.

Not even looking forward to E:TW, mainly because of my computer getting old and not having enough oomph, but even so, Europa Barbarorum still works fine so I have no reason to move away from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    possibly Heavy Rain
    I can't believe I forgot about that one, could be Sony's greatest achievement. I hope the story doesn't turn out to be like Fahrenheit by the end though.
    Last edited by Paradox; 01-26-2009 at 11:38.

I can't believe I forgot about that one, could be Sony's greatest achievement. I hope the story doesn't turn out to be like Fahrenheit by the end though.
    Sony doesn't have achievements, Sony has trophies.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I can't believe I forgot about that one
    Likewise. I really liked Fahrenheit despite it turning a bit messy in the endgame but can't say they didn't try something new.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Dawn of War II, Diablo III, and Elemental:War of Magic. These are games that I really want. And coming from their respective studios, I have a really good feeling about their potential.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Too many games are about to come out. This year will most definitely be best gaming year.

Hmm... Let's see. I think that all of them will be able to deliver.

Call of Duty by Infinity Ward
    BioShock 2
    Hearts Of Iron 3
    Street Fighter IV
    Mafia II
    Diablo III (expected in 2009)
    StarCraft II (expected in 2009)
    Puzzle Guest: Galactrix
    GTA IV The Lost and Damned

I'm interested in these titles, but also cautious and critical.

Empire Total War
    FEAR 2
    Dawn of War 2
    Halo: Wars
    Resident Evil 5
    Battlestations: Pacific
    HAWX
    Wolfenstein
    Halo: ODST

Possible releases.

Assassin's Creed 2
    New Ghost Recon title
    Alan Wake
    New Duke Nukem

And of course some titles I forgot and some titles to be revealed. Now of course some of these will be pushed in to next year and Diablo III probably won't come out in this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxil
    Possible releases.

Assassin's Creed 2
    New Ghost Recon title
    Alan Wake
    New Duke Nukem
    According to IGN, Alan Wake has been confirmed. And I'm definitely waiting for an AC sequel.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Mine:

Starcraft 2

Because I am a Blizzard fanboy and because Starcraft, the original game, still remains one of my staples when there isn't any new games for me to play. Regardless of how many times I do it, it is still sweet to maelstrom + psi storm your friend's entire guardian/devourer fleet as they attempt to attack you.

Diablo 3 if it comes out this year that is

I absolutely loved Diablo 2: LOd. It is literally my favorite game ever and a conservative estimate at my hours played on that game would put it above 1500 hours. Thats right, I actually happen to have had 7 characters beat Hell mode on Singleplayer, three of whom are above level 90 and one at 95. (ATMA FTW!)

Demigod

I used to play DOTA lots back around 6.43b and have recently started playing once again. Dota is super fun and great at LAN parties so a real full game based on it would be awesome. Only dissapointment is the relative low number of heroes compared to Dota's 60+
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Its funny how few people are looking forward to the new TW title on a TW forum. Its all been downhill from Shogy...

Looking forward to nothing really.. but will buy the Empire. I'm a sucker for disappointment.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

The main game I'm looking forward too is Les Grognards.

Stargate Worlds and Star Trek Online has my potential interest too.

Oh and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

CBR

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Lemur & Fragony, thanks I totally forgot about bootcamp

:contemplates "accidentaly" blowing up old computer to get the new Mac by March:

Quote Originally Posted by Praxil View Post

Possible releases.

Assassin's Creed 2
    New Ghost Recon title
    Alan Wake
    New Duke Nukem
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Based on what I've heard thus far, I will almost assuredly get Empire Total War, though I'm going to play it safe and let other people buy it first and see the different reviews that come out of it from folks here.

Other than that, I haven't heard a whole lot that really piques my interest thus far.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR View Post
    Stargate Worlds and Star Trek Online has my potential interest too.
    I will be staying far, far away from STO. The potential for me to become completely addicted and have no life outside of it is far too great.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Thumbs up Re: Games You're Looking Forward to

I was stealing a peek at Stargate Worlds, too. I hope it turns out okay; the tv series is my fav.
    Last edited by Megas Methuselah; 01-28-2009 at 04:39. Reason: Whoopsie daisy!

This year, I'm mostly looking forward to:

E:TW
    Histwar: Les Grognards
    CMSF British Module
    CM2 Normandy
    COD Modern Warfare 2 (or whatever they end up calling it)

I was looking forward to DOW2, but the posts in here about the open beta have put me off a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast