Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

Blue Eyed Samurai Senior Member Wishazu's Avatar

Default UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

UESUGI ~ Way of the Sword and Bow

"I will die fighting, or see my enemies dead before me"

It is 16th century Japan, Uesugi Tomooki, Lord of Kozuke and Musashi, Daimyo of the Uesugi clan plans his next move in his quest to become Seii Tai Shogun, military ruler of Japan.

Ok, so this is going to be my second campaign in what I have decided to call my "Sengoku Jidai Journal`s" series :) The conditions are 1530/Expert/Eliminate All Rival Clans.

Opening Moves
    I`m going to abandon Kozuke province as it`s far too exposed, besides Musashi is worth more for income and easier to defend. I`ll expand in an opportunistic manner from there untill I`m safely established. So basically I jave no clear strategy as of yet....
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:04.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Blue eyes for our samurai
    Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    For your home is now the Org
    By Gregoshi

Default Re: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

UESUGI ~ Summer 1530 - Summer 1532

Summer, 1530 My wars against the smaller clans on my borders have finally taken a turn for the worse and they are closing in on my palace in Kozuke. I have ordered everyone ready to move by nightfall, we are leaving this place. We will make a new home in Musashi, a new castle for my family is already under construction there. Everything will be burned before we leave, our enemies will find nothing but ashes. I have sent Abe Ujitsugu to request an alliance with the Takeda clan, I need allies if I am to survive.

Autumn, 1530 Our new castle is completed and Musashi is secure, my enemies would be foolish indeed to follow me here, this place is almost impregnable. I have ordered construction of an Archery Dojo, my troops need somewhere to hone their skills. I had barely been living here a month when a delegation arrived from Lord Hojo Ujitsuna.

The delegation requested that we agree to an alliance with the Hojo clan and I have agreed. I hope I can count on them not to stab me in the back whilst I am dealing with the bandit scum on my other borders. I received a message from Abe Ujitsugu in Kai province informing me that Lord Takeda Nobutora was quite eager to ally himself with me. I replied, ordering Ujitsugu to seek out Lord Imagawa and negotiate an alliance there too.

Summer, 1531 The Archery Dojo is finished and my Samurai have been hard at work, training both themselves and new recruits to my army. I received another message from Abe Ujitsugu today, Lord Imagawa Yoshimoto has agreed to ally himself with me. I sent another reply, ordering Ujitsugu to head on to Owari province and seek out Lord Oda.

Summer, 1532 Training is going well in Musashi, I have recruited many Samurai skilled in the use of the Bow and continue to attract more to my service. My army is growing steadily, soon I will be ready to take back Kozuke and remove the squatter scum that desecrate my families homeland. I received an urgent message from Abe Ujitsugu, he reports that he has been unable to make contact with Lord Oda. He is unsure exactly how the current set of circumstances came to be but Lord Oda is trapped under siege in his castle in Owari and it would appear that there is no hope of relief. Abe Ujitsugu believes Lord Oda will be dead before the year is out. I have ordered him to return here at once.

Overview
    Not really much to report though it appears the Oda are making a sharp exit. I`m going to continue to build up for a while longer before grabbing any other provinces.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:08.
    "Wishazu does his usual hero thing and slices all the zombies to death, wiping out yet another horde." - Askthepizzaguy, Resident Evil: Dark Falls

"Move not unless you see an advantage; use not your troops unless there is something to be gained; fight not unless the position is critical"
    Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Nice...archers are really the way to go, especially with Uesugi. Your oda campaign was epic, I doubt you'll run in to trouble early with this one though, I remember the eastern rebels being a lot easier than the central rebels.

UESUGI ~ Summer 1533 - Summer 1536

Summer, 1533 I have heard reports that the siege in Owari is over and the Oda clan are finished. I freely admit to being amazed that Oda Nobuhide was able to survive under siege for a whole year! Such a man would have made a fantastic ally.

Autumn, 1534 My son, Norimasa has come of age and joined my army. I have placed a unit of Yari Samurai under his personal command and ordered him to report for duty with my brother, Tomosada. My allies, the Takeda and Imagawa clans are now at war with each other, as I cannot remain allied to both I have informed Lord Yoshitomo that I cannot remain allied to him whilst this conflict is going on, however I will not actively support the Takeda clan.

Winter, 1534
    I have turned away an Emmissary from Lord Imagawa, whilst this war is still going on it would not be honourable to be talking to my allie`s enemie`s.

Summer, 1534 We have been victorious in two great battles this summer in Shimosa and Musashi. I have decided it is now time that Norimasa earned some experience on campaign so he accompanied me on my invasion of Shimosa. Tomosada was left to defend Musashi.

I formed my army up with Norimasa leading the Yari Spearmen. His orders were to wait for me to draw off the enemy infantry with my charge over the bridge, once they were too far away to stop his crossing he was to lead all the infantry across the bridge into a frontal assault on any who remained to defend.

Once over the bridge Norimasa charged the only defenders remaining to stop him, a single formation of Samurai Archers. The defenders managed to loose a few volleys before my son made contact with them but casualties were fairly light. By this time I had completely drawn off the enemy spearmen and had worked my way around them into a position where I could hit the Samurai Archers in the rear.

Realising they could not assist their comrades at the bridge the enemy spearmen quickly withdrew. Alone and surrounded the enemy Archers fought bravely but were swiftly cut down.
    Meanwhile, back in Musashi, Tomosada had come under attack from our enemies in Kozuke, the Yuki clan.

Though outnumbered 2:1, Tomosada had the advantage of terrain and was able to inflict a spectacular defeat on our enemies. My brother personally took the head of the enemy Taisho.

Overview
    Fairly easy going so far, but then I suppose spamming archers to defend a bridge province is a no brainer. I`m still looking to expand into the nearby rebel provinces before attacking any other major clans. I shouldn`t have any difficulty repelling any attacks so I can just sit still for a little while and build up my forces without any hassle.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:14.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

UESUGI ~ Winter 1536 - Winter 1547

Winter, 1536 My peers, Lord Imagawa and Lord Takeda have made peace. Yoshitomo`s Emmissary again requested an audience and I agreed to see him.

He explained that his master felt no ill will toward me over my decision to break off relations with him at the outbreak of hostilities with the Takeda. He asked If I would now reconsider my position and enter a new alliance. I agreed.

Autumn, 1541 I have spent the last five years buried in work, organising new construction works, training my armies etc. that I had quite forgotten about this journal. Not much of interest has occured these past years, however I received a guest a few months ago who claimed to represent the interests of several towns and villages in Kazusa province. This gentleman was a skilled talker and convinced me to come to the rescue of these places. Apparently ever since their old lord died the people of Kazusa have been plagued by groups of Ronin and Bandits riding roughshod over the countryside, pillaging and looting as they went. I agreed to deal with these miscreants in return for the loyalty of the province. Needless to say the problem has been dealt with and I will be spending this winter here in Kazusa building a new castle. War has broken out again on the edge of my territory, the Lord`s Imagawa and Hojo both blamed each other for a series of raids along their mutual border and the dispute has developed into a full scale confrontation. I have decided to remain faithful to Yoshitomo for the time being, the arrogance of the Hojo Daimyo`s has always offended me.

Autumn, 1542 The war is not going well for Lord Hojo, he sent an emmissary to seek my favour but I would not see the man.

Autumn, 1543 Abe Ujitsugu, my faithful retainer has been murdered at the court of Lord Hojo, I do not know who would have anything to gain by such a move but it is disturbing none the less.

Imagawa Yoshitomo has now declared war on the Takeda, I have informed him that I cannot remain on friendly terms with him whilst he shows such blatant aggression and disregard to my own friends and allies.

Autumn, 1544 I have invaded Shimotsuki, the Ronin and Bandit forces that have previously made this place their home had come to stop me in the hills but thought better of it once they saw the full magnificence of my army. We have heard nothing of them since.

Winter, 1544 Now that Lord Hojo and Lord Imagawa are once again at peace I have resumed my previous alliance with the Hojo.

Spring, 1546 My second son, Kenshin has come of age this year and like his brother he immediately entered service with my army. Ever since he was a small boy he has shown great promise, and great skill with the bow. He now commands my garrison in Shimotsuke.

Winter, 1547 I have once again entered into an alliance with Lord Imagawa. We have agreed on a mutual offensive into the lands bordering ours in order to clear out any other raiders and bandits etc. He has agreed to assist me in an attack on Mutsu next year.

Overview
    Imagawa are on the warpath and for once hav`nt been swiftly destroyed. I don`t want to go to war with them if I can help it as I need them to keep Shimazu busy as I don`t want a predictable half and half face off later on. This just seems like such an easy job so far compared to my Oda campaign.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:19.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Well the rebels usually are easier in that side of the map. Takeda or Imagawa will backstab you sooner or later.

Blog Entries

looking strong defensively, though it has took its time, i would of abandoned kozuke at the start as well, try and take the rebel provinces around you before imagawa do!

With oda gone this could be a short campaign. Looks like the competition will be between you and imagawa. I don't think you can let him afford to take over mutsu dewa echigo etc, although I doubt the ai is capable. Those three alone are an easy 2500 koku or so. The money should allow you to overwhelm takeda and hojo. The only wild card is shimazu, I can see a port jump to kyushu being very effective.

UESUGI ~ Autumn 1548 - Autumn 1549

Autumn, 1548 Barbarians from across the great ocean landed and requested permission to trade their guns for my gold. They wished also to spread the word of their "one true God", whoever that is. I refused their petition, I have no use for their cowardly trinkets and do not wish my peasantry confused by new theology.

Winter, 1548 I have attacked and taken control of Mutsu and as promised my friend, Yoshitomo sent a few units of his elite Samurai Archers to assist.

These allies were from Totomi province and handled their bows very well indeed, their reputation is well deserved. After the battle there was a chance for an honourable contest between these men and Samurai from my own Archery school in Musashi. Unfortunately my men were beaten - but there is no dishonour in being beaten by the best. Perhaps the lessons they have learned can be incorporated into our training regime.

Summer, 1549 My friend Imagawa Yoshitomo is dead, he was defeated in distant Hizen by Lord Shimazu, only one of his Hatamoto escaped, carrying his lords head back to Totomi. He informed the new Imagawa lord, Ujizane that he had been honoured to perform the duty of Second to Yoshitomo, who had decided to commit Seppuku rather than risk capture by the Shimazu warriors.

Autumn, 1549
    I have been forced to set my taxes to what would usually be considered punitive levels, I do not wish my people to suffer and this is only a temporary measure but the coffers are empty and I must continue the infastructural programs that have been started across my domain. More of the foreigners came to see me but I gave them the same response as last time.

Overview
    Well the rebels are steadily falling before me and the Imagawa are honouring the alliance nicely, I don`t often play campaigns in which I get to fight alongside my allies. My next moves will be to take Echigo and Dewa, though I am going to have to build up a large army, the defenders are vast with huge numbers of archers defending the bridge. So i`ll probably just sit back and build up for a few years. I dare not weaken the defences in Musashi to support an attack on Echigo as both the Hojo and Takeda are hemmed in by myself and the Imagawa. I don`t want them to get any opportunity to "backstab" me as Adam99 believes.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:31.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

O I thinks its guaranteed that Takeda will have a go sooner or later, as you say he's hemmed in by you and Imagawa. He's bound to go for one of you, hopefully it'll be Imagawa but theres always a chance he'll go for you. Best case scenario is both Hojo and Takeda go for Imagawa, worst case they both go for you. As for Imagawa i'm sure he'll have a few ninja roaming around, and if Hojo and Takeda end up face down in the grass i'm sure Imagawa wont mind letting his ninga practise on your generals and family line....

Well now that Imagawa have been pushed out of Kyushu I may switch to favour the alliance with the Takeda. They still have lands on the other end on Honshu - Suo, Aki and Bingo to be precise, so he may be able to cause some problems for Shimazu. I hope so anyway.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

I tend to agree with adam99.....it's been my experience that neither the Hojo nor the Takeda can be trusted to honor an alliance. In fact, I never form alliances with either unless I absolutely have to.
    High Plains Drifter

UESUGI ~ The Battle of Echigo

Spring, 1555 Another long break in my journal as these last few years have been relatively peaceful. I have once again put ink to paper today to record the birth of my newest child, Kagekatsu.

Autumn, 1556 Another barbarian delegation has been turned away. They seem incapable of understanding my lack of interest in anything they have to offer. Likewise they baffle me, their entire lives seem devoted to the pursuit of material riches. I do not understand them, I hope they do not bother me again.

Winter, 1556 After many years of preparation we were finally able to launch our invasions of both Echigo and Dewa. I feel this will be my last offensive as I am feeling my age now, my saddle hurts me on long rides, my back aches constantly and I swear I am losing my hearing! Anyway, I personally led the march on Dewa but didn`t get to fight any battles as the Ronin here took ship and fled to join the pirates on Sado. My son, Kenshin, led the assault with our main army into Echigo. Once again my great ally, Lord Imagawa sent a large force of Archers to help in the attack. Kenshin informs me that the Imagawa soldiers requested the honour of leading the attack across the bridge and my son accepted with one proviso, after the battle was won the Imagawa soldiers would take part in another archery tournament, to which they happily agreed. Kenshin recounted to me that our allies crossed the bridge whilst our own archers covered them from the riverbank. They were able to draw the enemy in close where our archers could cause maximum damage and when the timing was right they feigned a retreat back across the bridge. Sensing victory, the inexperienced enemy Taisho launched himself and his army into pursuit. They were halted on our side by our own Yari Samurai, then when they were fixed in place, our allies counter-charged. Within minutes the enemy commander was dead and his army were fleeing into the hills. Our casualties were light, about 200 killed. On the other hand the enemy army was practically wiped out. In the subsequent tournament my men achieved victory over the Totomi Samurai. A most excellent day!

Spring, 1557 Lord Hojo has died of an illness. His son, Ujiyasu now rules the clan.

Overview
    First off, sorry for the lack of screenshots. I took about 12 during the battle but they all seemed to have been corrupted somehow, sort of like a camera film that`s been double exposed. Anyways I`m sitting pretty now, here are a couple of screenies showing the state of play, just wondering if anyone has any thoughts...

Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:33.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Imagawa in his current position is a threat to you. You should probably try to push him out of Kozuke, preferably through covert means and then maybe push for the Shinano/Suruga/Etchu border, once you're strong enough. This will leave you in a strong position. Takeda and Hojo are not to be trusted, so just trample them under foot. Imagawa may get in your way but leaving him there will leave you weakened. If he proves insufficiently strong to hold out against Hojo or Takeda then his lands need to be annexed to yours before the enemy takes advantage of this.

Last edited by caravel; 01-27-2009 at 00:43.

Default AW: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

High quality report as usual.

There is a green mass bobbling over Japan from the West as you can see. The Takeda forces in Western Honshû will be history within maximum 1 year I'd guess. As Takeda and Imagawa are blocking your way this might become a tough thing against the Shimazu once they have reached Kyôto. At least in case they eat each other first. I think it is the main question who attacks whom first.

Default Re: AW: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

I don't believe your in any danger from imagawa. It's hard to mount an attack from shinano. I would say take kozuke and then build an army an attack hojo. Musashi and echigo shouldn't require large forces in defense. Hojo often have lots of ashigaru as I recall, whereas the takeda horses could give you trouble. Have to watch out for shimazu!

Cheers for the help guys. As it happens I elected to smash Hojo`s army in Sagami(Huge Battle) before attacking Imagawa. I`ll update tomorrow.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Yes get rid of Hojo, keep an eye on Takeda (they've always been trouble never stick to an alliance, not so bad if its just the convenient thing to do to gain a breathing space, downright annoying when their your only ally!) And Imagawa looks to be in nice position to expand into your territory. Bit of covert ops might be in order there. And the Mean, Green Rolling Machine looks to be up and running!

UESUGI ~ Succession

Autumn, 1559 Lord Takeda is dead. I know he had been suffering from a lingering illness picked up last winter, perhaps he just gave up. His son, Shingen now guides the Takeda. The only thing I know about the new Daimyo is his reputation for aggression, I think the Takeda will be pursuing a more expansionist foreign policy from now on. Anyways, this will be my last entry in this journal, I am simply too old and writing causes me such pain as all the joints in my hands and arms are in constant agony. I will not be much longer for this world.

Summer, 1561
    My older brother, Tomooki died of an illness this past spring though I suspect it was suicide by poison. He had been miserable for months and I know he was in constant pain. It has fallen to me now to rule the clan and I will try to make good on our claim to the Shogunate. Tomooki was a wise ruler but lacked the proper motivation to take the Uesugi to Kyoto and make good on our heritage. I will attempt to maintain the web of alliances my brother established but only as long as they serve my purposes. I will not hesitate to destroy the weaker pretenders when their usefulness has passed.

Autumn, 1561 A spy was caught, tortured and executed this week. He revealed he was working for Lord Imagawa, our long term friend and ally. He was "persuaded" to reveal a few secrets. His mission in Musashi was to gain intelligence on troop numbers and movements within my territory but it appears that he was reporting to Lord Hojo aswel. These two clans have signed a secret mutual defence agreement to attempt to curb any further expansion of my own realm. I will of course behave as if I know nothing and continue my correspondence with my peers for now but I have already decided on my strategy. When the time is right I will strike Sagami with full force and cripple the Hojo, this will be followed up with an immediate attack upon the Imagawa, I will not give them time to unite against me.

Summer, 1562 I have ordered my spies to infiltrate Kozuke, there have been murmurs of discontent within the province that they may be able to capitalise on.

Overview
    Just a quick update at the moment. Still not alot going on but I have decided on a new strategy for my new Daimyo.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 10:37.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

UESUGI ~ Oda Reborn

Autumn, 1563 The attempt to start a revolt in Kozuke has failed. My agents there were unable to achieve any of the goals I set for them before being discovered, three of my agents were killed and the survivors fled to Musashi, they believe that Lord Imagawa was able to discover they were working for me but it would not take a genius to work it out. I will not underestimate the Imagawa`s penchant for this kind of warfare. I will have to destroy them face to face. I ordered Takemata Hirotsuna to take Sado island but he lacked the ships to pursue the fleeing pirates and ronin, he believes they are now in Noto and pose no threat to us.

Spring, 1566
    I have a son! I have named him Masamune, the priests told me the boy is destined for greatness.

Autumn, 1566 An announcement from the Emperor declaring his support for the Shimazu clan was received today. The only clan to openly support this is the Takeda, what is Shingen up to?

Spring, 1567
    With most of the western half of Japan under the control of the new Shimazu "Shogunate" I have sent my spies to Shikoku to stir up trouble and report anything of interest. Shikoku is traditionally a hotbed of unrest, especially Tosa. Hopefully I can create problems for Lord Shimazu. My own internal security network in Musashi has caught a spy in the employ of Lord Hojo. Needless to say the man is now dead.

Winter, 1567 Disconcerting news from Shikoku, apparently the team I sent back in spring are all dead or captured, all but one. It seems that Lord Shimazu had decided to decimate the population of the island after taking control and the people have no wish to bring any more pain upon themselves. They pretended to work towards revolt under the guidance of my spies but at the critical moment they turned my men over to Lord Shimazu`s security forces. I am discouraged from attempting this kind of strategy in future as it is costing lives of expensive men and not providing any results.

Winter, 1569 A huge rebellion has started in Omi province. A peasant named Toyotomi Hideyoshi is the ringleader and claims the Oda heritage for himself, many provinces have joined his revolt. I will send agents to investigate and if this man is not merely a poor pretender a new alliance may be on the cards.

Spring, 1571
    Kenshin has taken his army to Noto and destroyed the ronin and pirates there, he will not be staying though. His orders are to return as soon as possible to Sado and there take ship to Musashi for my long awaited attack on the Hojo will be taking place this summer.
    Hideyoshi`s revolt has gained pace and strength. He has defeated the Shimazu in a major battle for control of the Emperor`s palace and now claims the title of Shogun. My youngest nephew, Kagekatsu has entered service with my army and is eager to prove himself. With war with Hojo on the horizon he will get his chance.

Overview
    Well I`m just about to attack Hojo. As I said earlier, I want to destroy the large armys at my rear before starting a war with Imagawa, I have a feeling though that my invasion of Sagami(next update) will provoke an aggressive response from everyone in the region.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

UESUGI ~ Battle of Sagami

Summer, 1571 I went through with my plan to attack Sagami this summer and have been victorious in a major battle there. The hojo fought valiantly defending their homeland but we were too strong for them.

We were marching to destroy a small force we had been tracking for three days when we finally made contact with them at an ancient dried up riverbed. I formed my army up along the old watercourse with a mind to envelope the enemy and destroy them but the Hojo were one step ahead. A unit of Cavalry Archers attempted to leave the field but they were intercepted and destroyed by my Yari Cavalry, this would turn out to be part of the enemies ruse to draw me in.Just as my extreme right flank approached the top of the old riverbank hundreds of Hojo Samurai exploded out of the trees, it was an ambush!

My men held up briefly under this pressure, long enough for me to destroy the enemy force in the open and begin to roll up the Hojo`s right flank. At the same time the centre of my line gave way.

This was followed swiftly by my right flank. It was not going well It looked as if our venture was doomed.

Frantically I organised the troops I had remaining on the left and moved towards the enemy centre, I was going to kill the Hojo Taisho. Though most of my army was now fleeing the Hojo troops were now extremely disorganised and I was able to take advantage. The enemy Taisho realised this and called off the pursuit.

This was his first mistake he would not live long enough to make another. My right flank, now free from pursuit swiftly rallied, regrouped and hit the formerly victorious enemy warriors in the rear. It was a massacre.

This kicked off a chain reaction amongst the confused Hojo warriors and soon the entire army was in full retreat. I took what cavalry I had remaining and and rode as many of the enemy down as I could before returning to the army. One of my Hatamoto trampled the Hojo Taisho under the hooves of his mount.

Autumn, 1571 After sacking Sagami and burning everything to the ground I returned to Musahi to find Kenshin and his army waiting for me. Now we are ready for total war!

Overview
    My first major battle of the campaign and it`s been a long time coming. It was almost a complete disaster too but Tomosada managed to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat. In the middle of the map the new Oda regime has managed to expand very quickly. I am going to wait 1 turn before attacking Imagawa, I just want to see if Takeda will now attack Hojo.
    Last edited by Wishazu; 01-28-2009 at 12:06.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Tide turned impressively, waiting for more.

Default Re: AW: UESUGI - Way of the Sword and Bow

Those 120 man unit battles always look so epic...

Good going. Oda should occupy Shimazu and draw him off, keeps that part of the map interesting, and gives you time to finish off Hojo.

beware Imagawa ninja's. I'm guessing it was them that got your emissary earlier on?

More than likely it was Imagawa, I`m catching 1 or 2 spies/ninja`s of theirs in my territory every year now.

@ Sasaki Kojiro, more epicness to come this evening mate. I`m just typing up the next update now.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Yeah, I'm sure he'll get his soon enough. Look forward to the next update.

Great job at Sagami. You really turned that one around.

I've never seen Shimazu get to the emperor's province before. You might be facing a Shimazu horde when you're done with your other enemies.

That geisha is out there. She can't be bargained with. She can't be reasoned with. She doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And she absolutely will not stop, ever, until you and all your heirs are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by zyxophoj View Post
    Great job at Sagami. You really turned that one around.

I've never seen Shimazu get to the emperor's province before. You might be facing a Shimazu horde when you're done with your other enemies.
    I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Those 120 man unit battles always look so epic...
    Totally agree. That's why I prefer fighting like that.

UESUGI ~ Second Battle of Sagami

Winter, 1571 I have attacked Imagawa in Kozuke, he was not prepared and fled to Shinano, the Uesugi homeland is ours again. My ally, Takeda Shingen has promised his support for me and has declared war on the Hojo and Shimazu clans. We will launch a joint attack into Sagami in the summer and finish off Ujiyasu, destroying the Hojo clan.

Summer, 1572
    We have fought and won two great battles this summer in Sagami and in Musashi.

Both were glorious affairs and I shall record the events in Musashi first. After last winter`s success in Kozuke, I decided to remain there with my army and secure the province against any possible counter move by the Imagawa clan. However I should have been watching for a move against Musashi, it was now defended by Kagekatsu`s garrison whilst Kenshin attacked Sagami. Lord Imagawa personally led his army against us and encountered Kagekatsu`s defenders at an important rivercrossing. The enemy numbered 1,400 whilst Kagekatsu could only muster 900.

Imagawa ordered his Yari Cavalry across the bridge but they were not fast enough and were stopped by two units of Yari Samurai. Unable to move back as they were blocked by their own infantry crossing to support them, the cavalry were totally wiped out. The whole time the enemy was under a hail of arrow fire and suffered dreadfully. Kagekatsu held a third of his force in reserve to use at the critical moment.

Unable to break the blockade, Lord Imagawa now committed his entire force to the attack on the bridge. With casualties beggining to mount and his troops beginning to tire, Kagekatsu now committed his fresh reserves. More than 2,000 men now slaughtered each other over a few metres of ground.

The slaughter continued for an hour, there was no movement backwards or forwards. Men simply stood where they were killed as there was no room for them to fall. Lord Imagawa, in his eagerness to breakthrough found himself isolated with a few bodyguards amongst the mass of our army. With nowhere to run and no hope of help he was cut down. His head was removed and thrown into his own troops, on seeing this they promptly turned tail and fled. Kagekatsu did not follow, his men were exhausted and could barely move.

Meanwhile, in Sagami, Kenshin had united with the Takeda army sent to assist him in the final destruction of the Hojo clan.

Most of the Hojo forces took cover in the trees on the hillside with only Ujiyasu himself and what cavalry he could field remaining in the open to skirmish with Kenshin as he advanced up the left flank. The Takeda moved to attack the main force head on.

As our force was getting into position to push into the woods from the left, Lord Ujiyasu rode alongside taunting our warriors, daring them to come face him. Kenshin believes that Ujiyasu must have beeen resigned to his fate and was merely attempting to make a good death for himself. His challenge was met by Kenshin`s Heavy Cavalry who thundered out to meet the Hojo Daimyo and his bodyguards.

Ujiyasu`s wish was granted and he earned an honourable death, his 11 warriors killing 27 of our elite cavalry.

With all the Hojo cavalry now driven off or killed, Kenshin ordered the attack into the trees. Most of the remaining Hojo Samurai decided to meet death out in the open rather than skulk in the woods. As they emerged, they were met with a storm of arrows, the few that made contact with the infantry were swiftly cut down. They died bravely, they died like true Samurai.

The remaining Ashigaru attempted to flee but were anihilated by our cavalry with only a handful escaping. They are now besieged.

With the Hojo clan destroyed, my total victory has been brought closer. If I can count on the coninued support of the Takeda then I believe the Imagawa will not be able to stand against us either.

Overview
    I apologise if anyone has been waiting for the next update, I was distracted watching Dances with Wolves, an epic film. Anyways, back on the subject. Woohoo! Hojo are eliminated and Imagawa are next on my hitlist. I`m going to keep attacking them and keep an eye on Takeda, I don`t want to contain him, so i`ll probably leave him room to expand into 1 or 2 provinces on my border, I still want his armies keeping Shimazu busy at the other end of Honshu.

Sun Tzu the Art of War

Red blood for his sword
    Your ronin days are over
    By Gregoshi

Just epic. There is no other word.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast