Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Football=MANLIEST GAME ON EARTH.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default American Football=MANLIEST GAME ON EARTH.

This subject always ends uo back here any way.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/26...ins/index.html

Ok you Europeans whaddya got?
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 01-28-2009 at 01:20.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Default Re: American Football=MANLIEST GAME ON EARTH.

Wait, so, American Football is the manliest sport because more people get concussions?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post
    Wait, so, American Football is the manliest sport because more people get concussions?
    That, Having the best athletes and the hardest hits.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Clearly you have not experienced the great art of the Caber Toss. How can you possibly beat drunken men in skirts throwing telephone polls?

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Manly ? pah! more like oversized gorillas in body armour throwing themselves around like fools!

Man is defined by his skill... his art... and what can be more skillful or artistic than watching zidane dribbling past a few players or ronaldhino doing all kinds of tricks and skills or ronaldo speeding down the wing past several players and smashing the ball into the top corner... now that is true manliness!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Man is defined by his skill... his art
    But the men who play soccer are on the whole wimpy and skimpy in size. Soccer players are prima-donas who don't know the meaning of teamwork or group effort. Any schmuck can play soccer, it takes true skill and ability to play rugby. Rugby union is a man's sport.

Exhibit A:
    Sebastian Chabal

Exhibit B:
    Victor Matfield

Exhibit C:
    Relative Impact of Rugby Tackles

Exhibit D:
    Soccer vs. Rugby

Exhibit E:
    Rugby hits

Exhibit Haka:
    Haka
    Last edited by Marshal Murat; 01-28-2009 at 02:12.

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rugby's impressive, but American Football has bigger guys hitting with more mass.

I mean, read what SFTS posted. That's scary, man.

Plus, due to the nature of the game you can have a wide receiver running across the field to catch the ball, unable to see the opposing player running head on towards him.

Make no mistake, football players hit very hard.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

They should make football an olympic sport.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Marshall, several American college football teams do the Haka.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Rugby is a nice stepping stone to football. Its nice an choreographed so the European "men" can little how to "hit"

Besides. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7tG...eature=related

Rugby: 1496 lbs Football: 4806

Read and weap Sweethearts 3 times as much force

But the men who play soccer are on the whole wimpy and skimpy in size.

If size is the only importance just watch some grizzly bears run into each other. It is the technical skill that is important, the ability to read the game, to pick out that 40 yard pass, do pull off that exqusite back heel that opens up a defence, no battering your way through like some wrecking ball, but skill and intelligence are required. If you are saying most manliest = brute force i would have to disagree.... sure if were discussing most gorilla like american football wins hands down, but in a discussion of manliest football is the winner every time

Soccer players are prima-donas who don't know the meaning of teamwork or group effort.

Tell that to trinadad and tobago from the last world cup, a side which consisted of only 1 or 2 players who play at the top level and not one player who could be called a superstar, a team which had one of the oldest average (or the oldest) age in the competition, and they put in the performances of thier lives, outskilled by far by every team they faced but they made it up in teamwork and sheer determination!

Dwight Yorke who used to be a striker was employed as a defensive midfielder and i don't think i have ever seen such a good performance in that position, he was mid 30's at this point but everywhere the ball was he was, he put in the performance of a lifetime he was a honour to T&T that day, that my friend is the essence of manliness!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Post Re: American Football=MANLIEST GAME ON EARTH.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy American football alright, but really? Is it the manliest game?

They should make football an Olympic sport
    They would, if it were more popular. American Football is only popular really in America, Australia, and Europe. However, the leagues in Europe and Australia aren't very competitive with American Football leagues. Rugby, on the other hand, has widespread following. The Rugby World Cup is the 3rd most watched sporting event in the World. Rugby even used to be in the Olympics, and they're working hard to get it back in. Granted, it is 7-man rugby, but it gives an opportunity for other countries to win at least a medal or two (Fiji, Tonga, Kenya, etc.)
    Rugby is Reaching Out

Marshal, several American college football teams do the Haka.
    I know Hawaii does the Ha'a, a variation on the Haka. However, they were penalized for "Unsportsmanlike Conduct
    because the other teams view the war chant as threatening. Other schools perform the Haka, I understand. However, coming from the Maori's, it's a full on challenge to any team that they go against. The other teams, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, Australia, they accept it and play on. No fuss, no unsportsmanlike conduct or complaints. They're man enough to take the challenge and play a good game.

Plus, due to the nature of the game you can have a wide receiver running across the field to catch the ball, unable to see the opposing player running head on towards him.
    Blindside hit in rugby

Rugby: 1496 lbs Football: 4806

Read and weap Sweethearts 3 times as much force
    The test was pretty ridiculous, to say the least. The 2nd test was on a dummy, not on a real person. That aside, the football player throws his entire weight against the dummy, regardless of his own body. Now, it's perfectly acceptable for him to do that, because he can be replaced, substituted, and he can break as many bones as he wants. He gets a big hit, no doubt about that. However, the force that the football player exerts is dispersed and as the "study" pointed out, his total hitting power is almost like that of a rugby player.

If size is the only importance just watch some grizzly bears run into each other. It is the technical skill that is important, the ability to read the game, to pick out that 40 yard pass, do pull off that exqusite back heel that opens up a defence, no battering your way through like some wrecking ball, but skill and intelligence are required.
    Understandable, and that's why rugby is better than American Football. American football is about running plays by the book, leaving occasional room for change or maneuvers to impact the game. In soccer and rugby, as you so elegantly pointed out, requires skill and intelligence to pick the holes, play the gaps, ruck, scrum, kick, and play the game. You don't have a cookie-cut plan to take out, you have to play and play, constantly adjusting to the situation at hand. Rugby does have it's grizzly bear encounters, to be sure, but there's just as much of speed skill and play.

Now, while we have focused on making "big tackles" and "skill and art", you see a combination of both in rugby.
    1. In rugby, it's at most 22 possible players that rotate on the field. Most players are out there for the full match, start to finish (McCaw, Carter, Giteau, Mortlock, Matfield, Habana, etc.) In American football, you have an "offense", a "defense", a "special teams". The offense plays for at most for 25 minutes of a full game. The defense plays for another 25, and the special teams 10 minutes. Rugby isn't a start-stop-start game. You have players on the field, like I said, for the full 80 minutes. You have football players getting 30+ second breaks between a 10 second plays. Rugby players have both high-intensity work and low-intensity work in a game, and have to be able to stand that much exertion. American Football is high-intensity work for a couple minutes (8 minute drives) then they can sit down, catch some Gatorade, and watch the game.

2. American football has bigger hits, because the players can throw themselves around the field. They can be replaced in a snap. You get big hits to get other "key" players out of the game, and that's why pads were given out. People were getting killed by others in the games. Now, while it may be more romantic to "lay your life out for the game", it's also pretty stupid to die because some numb-skull gorilla was able to hit you with his entire (steroid-infused?) body. In rugby, you have to hit, run, and ruck effectively, so you don't have a massive dude throwing himself around because that's dangerous and if he gets hurt, he'll have to sub out. Even if he doesn't get hurt, he has to continue a game that involves constant physical activity (rucking, tackling, mauling, even scrummaging).

3. As I pointed out previously, rugby players need "skill and art" to accomplish line-breaks, play advantages, line-outs, and to play the game in general. Soccer also involves using your head, making intelligent decisions, and acting swiftly. While that's true in football, it's usually only the quarter-back who has to make such decisions. Everyone else has a job they do, which rarely varies. In rugby, you have a constantly shifting situation tactically and strategically which calls for smart decision making. These decisions need to be made quickly, and communicated clearly to the rest of the team. American football has strategy and tactics, to be sure. However, when it comes down to it, the game is slow paced and pedantic, players given only a marginal amount of lee-way in decision making on the field. That's why you have coaches, to tell you what to do. In rugby, you're entirely responsible for all tactical/strategical decisions.

Rugby requires skill and art, stamina, speed, strength, and talent. You need to be a complete package to be an effective rugby player. In soccer, you need speed and skill, but in terms of strength you don't need as much in your upper body. Besides, soccer players always fake injuries to get cards from refs.
    In American football, you need only certain talents for certain positions. Linemen need only be big and strong. Wide-receivers need speed and intelligence, but rarely do you find one that's also strong enough to shrug off a defender. Besides, they only need follow a pre-arranged plan that the quarterback uses to make his decision. So while more "strength" may be needed for American football, you don't need the same amount of stamina to remain in the game.

Overall, rugby combines all the necessary skills to be a man and you need to be very manly to play rugby. Therefore, rugby is the manliest sport out there.

I can garuntee you the 6'7 350 lb lineman who play on sundays are faster than everyone who has posted in this thread and the 5'11 180 lb cornerbacks are stronger.

American football is an utter war. From the time we are 11 we are tuaght to be utterly fearless. There is no room for timidness. If you have ever played competitive football you know what I'm talking about. There is so much to remember the entire team has to do its job. Its the only sport in the world like that. You may be Barry Sanders but if your line doesn't block you aint going know where.

Rugby players look like soccer players who did a couple of curls, football players look like giants. Football may be played in the fall but anyone who has played will tell you that offseason is worse. Powerlifting, tire flips, wind sprints, it sucks but I'll tell you what. I went from a pudgy 189 at 14 to a rock hard solid 244 going into my senior season. I was also in the best cardiovascular shape. I got two weeks off for four years and this is just high school. A guy in my history class plays for the school and it is utter hell what they go through.

Not to mention the culture of football. You want to bleed for your teammates. There is utter hate between schools. People name children after the game.

Unless you have done it, you can't understand it.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Marshal Murat makes a persuasive case for rugby.

I point out that the best u.s. football moments, whether to watch or play in, are when the prescribed "play" has failed, and the players have to wing it on their own - as in rugby.

A precisely-executed game plan is a thing of wonder to watch; but I admit, it becomes a deployment of logistics. It's when logisitcs and plans have failed, but players nevertheless stretch into finding a way to advance the ball, score a goal, that the game soars into the best part of human sports competition.

Brett Favre (or whoever) scrambling in the backfield, evading tackles and desperately seeking someone to pass to, after "Right-Blue-Twenty-Two!" failed, spotting a receiver 60 yards away, in the snow, who has shaken off his blocker, firing that pigskin side-arm, gunslinger-style - and connecting, is why we like the game, and put up with the lawyer-ref's on the field, and the inane commentary, and the tedious time-outs, and, and, and....
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I can garuntee you the 6'7 350 lb lineman who play on sundays are faster than everyone who has posted in this thread

I would take you up on that challenge!

Although i don't doubt there is probably some really huge guy who can run faster than me i would out pace the vast majority of people who weigh 350lbs, thats just too big to be seriously fast...

American football is an utter war.

If american football is war then real football is outright armageddon, from rivalries like Madrid vs Barcelona which is mixed in with politics and actual wars over the years, to local rivalries like cardiff vs swansea where the opposition fans are more hated than even the english!

From the time we are 11 we are tuaght to be utterly fearless. There is no room for timidness. If you have ever played competitive football you know what I'm talking about.

As a football player you are expected to put body and soul on the line!

Peter Cech a goalkeeper had his skull cracked when a boot was put into his head as he bravely dived at the ball, but once he was healed he was back in action brave as ever diving infront of studs, knees and whatever else came in his way, that cracked skull if bumped badly enough could kill him (i think?) but he is there life on the line, no consideration bar winning the game!

There is so much to remember the entire team has to do its job. Its the only sport in the world like that. You may be Barry Sanders but if your line doesn't block you aint going know where.

A (real) football team has to work together as a unit, you need your wing backs and wingers patrolling the wings together and overlapping each other to provide extra options, your midfield needs to support the attack quickly but also needs to help in defense, the defense has to push up to close the available space between themselves and thier midfield so the opposition can't take advantadge of the spaces left behind, and the strikers need to be giving the team options for attacking passes...

It is shown best by various underdog upsets that are a regular occurence in football, the team that works togther and works hard can overcome the more technically advanced team that doesn't function together or work as hard...

Rugby players look like soccer players who did a couple of curls, football players look like giants.

American footballers are like elephants... sure they're big and scary but outside of that fairly useless...

Whereas footballers are like horses, elegant beatiful fast and strong, not as big as those ugly useless elephants but a hell of alot more useful!

Not to mention the culture of football. You want to bleed for your teammates.

Before the days of no blood allowed on the football pitch you would regularly see players like Tony Adams and Gary McAllister with thier heads covered in bandages blood dripping down thier faces but still giving 110% still willing to smash thier head into the ball, i now from personal experience even just from a kick around, once the game is on nothing else matters, that stitch can wait until after the game the sweat pouring down my face not even noticed, i will sprint back and fore no matter what my physical condition...

As someone famous once said... 'Football isn't a matter of life and death... it is far more important than that'

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    I can garuntee you the 6'7 350 lb lineman who play on sundays are faster than everyone who has posted in this thread

I would take you up on that challenge!

Although i don't doubt there is probably some really huge guy who can run faster than me i would out pace the vast majority of people who weigh 350lbs, thats just too big to be seriously fast...
    The starters on NFL teams are not normal people. They are freakish athletes.

American football is an utter war.

If american football is war then real football is outright armageddon, from rivalries like Madrid vs Barcelona which is mixed in with politics and actual wars over the years, to local rivalries like cardiff vs swansea where the opposition fans are more hated than even the english!

etc.
    etc.
    No, I'm sorry, but in war, or even a friendly boxing match you do not see grown men falling like sissies when they brush another player, than holding their leg in pain for five minutes. I've seen too much diving in soccer to consider it a contact sport.

Rugby players look like soccer players who did a couple of curls, football players look like giants.

American footballers are like elephants... sure they're big and scary but outside of that fairly useless...

Whereas footballers are like horses, elegant beatiful fast and strong, not as big as those ugly useless elephants but a hell of alot more useful!
    They are extremely good at playing their sport.
    Not to mention the culture of football. You want to bleed for your teammates.

Before the days of no blood allowed on the football pitch you would regularly see players like Tony Adams and Gary McAllister with thier heads covered in bandages blood dripping down thier faces but still giving 110% still willing to smash thier head into the ball, i now from personal experience even just from a kick around, once the game is on nothing else matters, that stitch can wait until after the game the sweat pouring down my face not even noticed, i will sprint back and fore no matter what my physical condition...

As someone famous once said... 'Football isn't a matter of life and death... it is far more important than that'
    And now you see relentless diving.

I agree that Murat makes a good case for the overall sport of rugby. But we're talking only of the manliest sport here, and I think he overstates the case for Rugby player's 'advantage' in skill, speed, and tactics as well.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

American Football is only popular really in America, Australia, and Europe.
    I'm sorry, am I missing something? Grid Iron is not popular. We follow League, Union, Football or AFL. Or basketball if we are really bored.

Tough? American Football is like rugby, but with full body armour and stopping for rest every 15 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Herald Sun
    It is rugby league folklore that Sattler played 75 minutes of the 1970 grand final for South Sydney with a smashed jaw as the Rabbitohs defeated Manly 23-12 in a bloody encounter at the SCG.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC Sport
    Brisbane Broncos have named Shane Webcke in their team for the grand final of the NRL even though he has a broken arm.
    He played that game, I watched him. Played well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

It's certainly a contender for "silliest game on earth"... Manliest? With all that protection? Ridiculous.

Bah. Barbarians.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

As someone rised the stakes to the manliest game on earth (instead of the usual banter), then the obvious question is what is manly about chasing around a ball?
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post
    2. American football has bigger hits, because the players can throw themselves around the field. They can be replaced in a snap. You get big hits to get other "key" players out of the game, and that's why pads were given out. People were getting killed by others in the games. Now, while it may be more romantic to "lay your life out for the game", it's also pretty stupid to die because some numb-skull gorilla was able to hit you with his entire (steroid-infused?) body. In rugby, you have to hit, run, and ruck effectively, so you don't have a massive dude throwing himself around because that's dangerous and if he gets hurt, he'll have to sub out. Even if he doesn't get hurt, he has to continue a game that involves constant physical activity (rucking, tackling, mauling, even scrummaging).
    It says much that Chabal wasn't much favoured by France for quite a while despite his obvious talents. He can run fast, and he can hit hard, but apart from that, he couldn't do much. He lacked stamina, he wasn't particularly good at reading the game, his stamina was suspect so he couldn't last the game, etc. Even if you're a physically fearsome specimen, you're still useless to the team if you can't hack it across all areas.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

retty stupid to die because some numb-skull gorilla was able to hit you with his entire (steroid-infused?) body.
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UKekpx...eature=related
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Or is trying to hurt the others as good as you can really still a game? I thought games are some kind of recreational free time activity, in every case giving people millions to play and brainwashing them into thinking it's the only thing that matters kind of destroys the game aspect don't you think? It all becomes a profession, a lifestyle and a penis enlargement for the viewers.
    And then they also start this human trafficking business that is illegal in other branches.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

I'm amused.

Whilst I would look to the Rugby Union camp for many of the reasons Marshal Murat posted, even I wouldn't argue it's the manliest game.

Because I have seen Australian Rules Football.

Look it up. Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman View Post
    LOL. Bummer; I was just getting into Marvin Gaye when the clip ended abruptly.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    It's certainly a contender for "silliest game on earth"... Manliest? With all that protection? Ridiculous.

Bah. Barbarians.
    Out of curiosity, do your boxers where gloves when they fight?

I would pick boxing as the manliest sport and then football.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Out of curiosity, do your boxers where gloves when they fight?
    Boxers?

Oh, you mean "braindeads"?

Barbarians...

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Boxers?

Oh, you mean "braindeads"?

Barbarians...
    Stop changing the subject.

Your main knock against American sports seem to be that they're not "sophisticated" enough.

Since when in history has "sophisticated" EVER been associated with "manly"?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Stop changing the subject.

Your main knock against American sports seem to be that they're not "sophisticated" enough.

Since when in history has "sophisticated" EVER been associated with "manly"?
    In non-barbarian societies

And it's not about just american sports.... Just every sport that's not football

But hey, it's not my fault every other sport is rubbish...

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Rugby = gay men hugging each other.

Same goes for American 'Football', plus the game is more stop-start just to make it extra boring.

At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast