Thread: Whats with the Arverni?

Default Whats with the Arverni?

In my 1.2 campaign as Rome I am at war with Carthage and the Arverni barbarians...but for some reason the Arverni outperform any other faction I have had a battle with....When I have a battle with Carthage....I can literally defend a point, and lose only about 100 I even only lost 48 men while I kill like 2,000 of them...but not with the Arverni....I have a battle with them and I take a punch...I always big battles like this, but I just want to know why they keep fighting and why they intimidate my men....could this intimidation affect the battle outcome that bad?

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

Default Re: Whats with the Arverni?

The way their soldiers dress and paint themselves threatens your soldiers who aren't used to men like naked fanatics.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Check if they're fighting with lots of Gaesatae (Naked dudes). They're pretty tough to beat, even with your best troops. The other Celtic units should be easy to rout (Either encircle, or charge the back), but the Naked guys will destroy even principes. Use your Triarii to pin them down (High defense), and rain javelins into their back. Then charge, and they should rout.

I could be horribly wrong though, can you give a description of what you exactly do?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

The "barbarians have got three things going for them
    1.The naked unit plethora.
    2.Large a mounts of lands with good mines on them.
    3.The NAKED DUDES!!!!!!!!!

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

Your men are getting hacked to pieces by longswords.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

The Arverni just RUULLLEEEEE , read my AAR - Chapter 7, then you know why they are so fearsome, hahahaaaarrrrrrrr
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Next time, try to crush these barbarians before they bring premature dark age...
    Or at least, you can try to bribe their army, one by one...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Calvary charge, retreat, charge, retreat. Will sort the Nuddy men out. Just have to keep at it and micromanage your charges.

I find they don't fair so well against a wall of pointy sticks. Tehe.

the "barbarians" have a different fighting style. most units only have poor armor but are very skilled melee fighters, which makes them rather vunerable to cavalary charges and missile weappons.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Legatus Member Tiberius Claudius Marcellus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    the "barbarians" have a different fighting style. most units only have poor armor but are very skilled melee fighters, which makes them rather vunerable to cavalary charges and missile weappons.
    Very true. Whenver I play Romani - or even other barbaroi factions fighting against other barbaroi, I stock up on missile troops. The complete lack of armor can halve their numbers before they even hit your front line, if done correctly.

As the Romani, line your infantry up in one long line, make sure your units with pila are set to "autofire", and put the entire line on "defend". Put your velites (if you use them) in another long line behind the front line infantry with a small gap so they're not throwing their javelins into the backs of your soldiers' heads. Put them on auto fire as well. Behind the velites (or the grunts if you're not using them) put your accensi, toxotai, whatever have you that can shoot far for sustained periods of time in a long stretched out line with that same gap between them and the line in front. Make sure to put them all on autofire, and if you have archers use fire arrows.

This tactic will allow you to completely decimate the enemy before they even meet your front line troops. If they have skirmishers, your grunts' high armor and shields will absorb their projectiles with minimum damage. Once the lines meet, the enemy will rout almost immediately, even the "naked guys" half the time. To speed this up, have your end units flank and envelop if your line extends beyond the enemy's, and don't hesitate to rack up the kills once they start routing with missile units attacking from their now exposed rear. Your general and any other cavalry units can do mop up duty.

If you are a barbarian tribe fighting another barbarian tribe, the same tactic works; but you'll probably take almost as many casualties as the enemy, depending on unit composition and chevrons, etc. I like to bring a ton of archers to the fight.

Happy "Hunning"
    Semper Fidelis

Campaigns Completed:
    Casse, Epirote, Getai, Romani
    "it is in his character traits and that's how Tiberius chooses to rp him. In all honesty i think this would be boring without such ridiculous characters..."

Well you know elephants may wonder how the naked dudes pick up anything, but apparently they are equally scary. I usually have no trouble with them as Romans though. Using historical Triplex setup.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Check if they're fighting with lots of Gaesatae (Naked dudes). They're pretty tough to beat, even with your best troops. The other Celtic units should be easy to rout (Either encircle, or charge the back), but the Naked guys will destroy even principes. Use your Triarii to pin them down (High defense), and rain javelins into their back. Then charge, and they should rout.

I could be horribly wrong though, can you give a description of what you exactly do?
    When they attack me...as usual this is my army layout

1. Hesatati (misspelled)
    2. Principes
    3. General
    4. Triarii
    5. Missile

/-------\
    -----
    -
    ------------
    --

Thats what my army sorta looks like

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

No, I meant what usually happens that causes you to lose? Which units melt away, which get caught up, etc.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

It is all about using the right battlecry

I just got a Heroic Victory against a Bunch of nudists with a less then good Roman army, there were lots of FM though, so while the rest were crap I used these to circle and kill their commander. Then while pinning naked dudes + spearmen with my crappy and outnumbered Roarii, Leves and Hastati I charged them from behind shouting the infamous battlecry, which I shall not repeat, but which is scary if you are naked with a horse galloping up behind you. Most of them routed on contact despite outnumbering me 2 x 1.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

No, I meant what usually happens that causes you to lose? Which units melt away, which get caught up, etc.
    I dont lose it just takes WAY too many of my men to destroy their army

Legatus Member Tiberius Claudius Marcellus's Avatar

'Lo.....ose' ? What does this word mean?

I believe as Olaf Blackeyes has in his Signature, "It's the AI....how do you NOT win?"
    Semper Fidelis

Campaigns Completed:
    Casse, Epirote, Getai, Romani
    "it is in his character traits and that's how Tiberius chooses to rp him. In all honesty i think this would be boring without such ridiculous characters..."