Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK you American folks...

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Default OK you American folks...

...you can start calling these:

FRENCH FRIES again!!!

Now that Dubya is gone I thought I should sort of revive one of the endless pieces of his nonsense that we will all surely miss

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLIT...prj.irq.fries/
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: OK you American folks...

um, what? ive always been calling them "french fries."

funny, though. maybe i will start calling them "freedom fries" now.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

We call 'em chips.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    We call 'em chips.
    Yes I ve noticed while spending 3 years in Hull (or shall I shay 'Ull)

The lady at the Student Union restaurant would politely correct me every time
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post
    ...you can start calling these:

FRENCH FRIES again!!!
    Dude, what cave have you been hiding under? That whole thing ceased to matter years ago.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Far be it for me to defend the ex-President, but if I'm not mistaken the whole "Freedom Fry" thing was a product of Congress, not the Presidency.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

aye. they even put it to a vote iirc, and renamed them that for the congressional cafeteria. we wonder how we got where we are today...

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

what do you think guys?....should we let the Americans in on the "secret" that those are from Belgium and not France?

I think they´ve deserved it by now
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Phlegms, Walleyes, Snail-eaters -- none of that matters.

The POTATO itself is a product of the New World. Long live the Spud!
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : OK you American folks...

Yeah, us french were kind of puzzled when we saw that Americans called their fries "french fries".

A clear insult to one of Belgium's greatest achievements.

@ OP, you wish you were here when this crazyness begun. 80% of backroom topics were centered on the fact that:
    - France sucked
    - French were a bunch of surrendering cheese eating monkeys
    - French deserved to be part of the axis of Evil

We had topics on the french revolution ("Robespierre = Hitler"), french food ("should be prohibited in the US") and what not.

I'm not bitter or anything, because that's actually what got me stuck in the Backroom, and significantly helped me to improve my english. And to be honest, the same thing was going on in most french politics-related forums: "Americans are fascists" blablabla. It was both saddening and fun.

And honestly, the only thing important to me nowadays is that american girls and women still think being french is the apoge of coolness and sexyness

- "Where are you from ?
    - France
    - Like Quebec?
    - No, more like France. I actually have an appartment not far away from the Eiffel Tower. I'm half poet, half painter and half writer
    - OMGWTFBBQ"
    Last edited by Meneldil; 01-20-2009 at 22:48.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    what do you think guys?....should we let the Americans in on the "secret" that those are from Belgium and not France?
    Like Congress even would know the difference. Brussels is in Belgium, and therefore the "Freedom Fries" moniker could be taken as a rejection of Old Europe in general.

The Bush administration gets a lot of the blame for the abuses of the past 8 years, but an equal share of it must be handed to Congress, under both parties, that both enabled him and refused to stand up to him.

@Meneldil-
    Last edited by drone; 01-20-2009 at 22:53.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: Re : OK you American folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    - "Where are you from ?
    - France
    - Like Quebec?
    - No, more like France. I actually have an appartment not far away from the Eiffel Tower. I'm half poet, half painter and half writer
    - OMGWTFBBQ"
    Heh, sorry guys, but "I live in Amsterdam" will always be shorter and more effective.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Freedom tastes better.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Re : OK you American folks...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II View Post
    Heh, sorry guys, but "I live in Amsterdam" will always be shorter and more effective.
    Might be, I have never heard about that though (but then I've only been in the US for 2 weeks :-( ). Next time I'll go there I'll make sure to try that line.
    What about "I'm a french living in Amsterdam. I used to live in Paris, but that city definately hampered my creativity" ?

Do you dutch guys also have the craptacular (yet somehow ultra sexy) accent when you speak english? Because I'm pretty sure none can possibly have a crappier accent than a drunk frenchman talking about something nobody cares about.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

@ OP, you wish you were here when this crazyness begun. 80% of backroom topics were centered on the fact that:
    - France sucked
    - French were a bunch of surrendering cheese eating monkeys
    - French deserved to be part of the axis of Evil

ahhh those where fun times.

my absolute favorite was a bunch of morons on a tv report, they went into a wine shop...bought a bunch of expensive French wine and came outside and dumped them down the drain.

yes...they threw away the expensive wine they had just paid for......a very efficient protest for sure

I expect at that moment there was a French wine farmer sitting at home counting their money and laughing his ass off
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

They threw Mouton Baron de Rothschild down a drain!

In that case they deserve their freedom. Not just philistines, a bloody waste.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We call them fried potato.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

And honestly, the only thing important to me nowadays is that american girls and women still think being french is the apoge of coolness and sexyness
    Yeah, but you have to be in America. It doesn't work with French girls . On the matter, what works with French girls? Italians?

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    We call 'em chips.
    So do all of the Commonwealth, except New Zealand who call them chups.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    So do all of the Commonwealth, except New Zealand who call them chups.
    Canada does not call them chips.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    On the matter, what works with French girls? Italians?
    "Hello. I'm German, and I would care to partake in an invasion of your Alsace."

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Far be it for me to defend the ex-President, but if I'm not mistaken the whole "Freedom Fry" thing was a product of Congress, not the Presidency.
    It was, but Bush Derangement Syndrome or BDS is hard for some to recover from.
    Last edited by Devastatin Dave; 01-21-2009 at 02:42.
    RIP Tosa

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    Canada is pretty much the 51st State of America, so they don't really count.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Canada is pretty much the 51st State of America, so they don't really count.
    Count, you loves ya some Oboma, could you tell me the other 6 States besides Canada the Messiah was talking about on the campain trail?
    RIP Tosa

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars View Post
    And they eat them smothered in melted cheese and gravy. Them Canucks know good eats.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Count, you loves ya some Oboma, could you tell me the other 6 States besides Canada the Messiah was talking about on the campain trail?
    Mexico, The UK, Australia, Taiwan, Israel and Haiti.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

So are these freedom fries some kind of organically grown free range potatos ?

and are these french ones somehow less free ? are there french farmers dressed up as nazi's taking away thier right to trail by jury and imprisoning them unjustly ?
    Last edited by LittleGrizzly; 01-21-2009 at 07:54.
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Freedom Fries? French Fries? Chips?

Bah. Ignorant barbarians. The correct name is "Pommes Frites".
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Freedom Fries? French Fries? Chips?

Bah. Ignorant barbarians. The correct name is "Pommes Frites".
    Exactly!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

The Portuguese call them batata frites. I like batatas.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast