Thread: Small trucks

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Small trucks

Just wondering if anybody has any insights to offer on the small to mid-range pickup truck class. Here's my needs:

-Has to have rear seating large enough to accomodate 2 car seats.
    -Rear doors, at least half doors, a must.
    -Has to be robust enough to push a plow.
    -Good fuel efficiency.
    -Good maintenance record.
    -If possible, I'd prefer a manual transmission, but I think they all have those.

Other than that, I'm open to any and all suggestions, and I know very little about the class. From what I've read, I'm torn between a Nissan Frontier (appears to be the best overall on paper) and a Ford Ranger (best fuel economy and Detroit needs the help).

Thanks.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-29-2009 at 13:01.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Small trucks

Pushing a plow!

You might want to look at the larger trucks.

From personal experience I’ll tell you the Fords are more comfortable. But unless it is a tiny plow you may want a mid size.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Is it snowing in New Hampshire ?

Japanese cars is always good on maintenance and has the best warranties.
    In your case they are also stronger (both the 4 cyl and V6).
    As for pushing a plow... you don't really need a big pickup. I have seen a Mitsubishi L300 (2,5 liter diesel) over here clear a parking lot without problems. All you need is traction, traction, traction. (4 wheel drive is almost a must).

However, I do notice that most semi - professional snow clearers over here go for the American V8 diesels.

Also another pickup of note: Honda Ridgeline 3.5 litre natural gas powered. It was awarded the Best Pickup 2007/2008 in Norway.
    Natural gas is half the price of petrol here and environmental friendly.
    Oh, and it comes in a crew cab version too (plenty room for extra car seats for the children).
    Last edited by Sigurd; 01-29-2009 at 14:56.
    Status Emeritus

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    But unless it is a tiny plow you may want a mid size.
    He did say "small to mid-size," so I'm not sure why you're behaving as though he didn't.

I have no experience with pickup trucks, except riding in them every now and then, so I won't be adding to the discussion. Sorry.

Thanks for the comments so far. I probably should have been a little more clear about the plowing bit. I'm not looking to start a 2nd business, just keep my own driveway (about 100 yards, 90 meters) clear. I hadn't thought of the Ridgeline, Sigurd, but that's definitely worthy of note. Thanks for the suggestion.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Just wondering if anybody has any insights to offer on the small to mid-range pickup truck class. Here's my needs:

-Has to have rear seating large enough to accomodate 2 car seats.
    -Has to be robust enough to push a plow.

-Good fuel efficiency.
    -Good maintenance record.
    -If possible, I'd prefer a manual transmission, but I think they all have those.

Other than that, I'm open to any and all suggestions, and I know very little about the class. From what I've read, I'm torn between a Nissan Frontier (appears to be the best overall on paper) and a Ford Ranger (best fuel economy and Detroit needs the help).

Thanks.
    Are you really looking for a small pickup with those three things?

My advice, El Camino .

Coming back to the US... as something else.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 01-29-2009 at 15:16.

My kingdom for a .

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I saw the mid size after I posted and didn’t think it worth an edit…and you don’t seem to need an F-150 or equivalent.

If the plowing is the heaviest work you have then a Ranger should do. I think the price may be best also…but it has been a while.

Butane/Natural Gas conversion kits should be available at not a high cost, that would allow you to use both gasoline and the others, though it will produce a bit less power so it is better to select gasoline when the power is needed. I would just recommend a V-6 because you really won’t like the 4s that much. You will also want to weight the back end for extra traction. A few sand bags or wood will do it.

The worst thing about plowing drive ways is when the big plow plows you in.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Yea a Ranger would me everything you need. Do you need 4x4?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    -Good fuel efficiency.
    Taking a glance at the Ford website, I don't see any images of the Ranger that include real half-doors of any sort. As for fuel economy, For claims it's in the 20s, which will be good if true.

Oh, nevermind, I see you can order the Ranger as a "Supercab 4-door." But hey, why not do like every militia in Africa and trust yourself to a small Toyota pickup? Just mount a .50 cal in the bed and you'll be full of Hutu power.

If Toyota is good enough for Somali warlords and the Taliban, it's good enough for New Hampshire winters.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-29-2009 at 20:51.

Ok - the small segment is dead. The Ranger's tooth is so long it stretches into the 90's without any significant upgrades.. just cosmetic stuff. The Frontier isn't much better. Rolling penalty boxes...

I would suggest you move up, especially now. You can get incredible deals on pickup trucks now. Dodge is giving up to 50% discounts trying to get rid of their Rams, but the Ford F-150 is the better truck IMO(although you probably wouldn't notice the differences in the applications you're using it for.) This segment (F-150, Ram, Silverado) has benefitted greatly from intense competition and improvement.

In any event, the one segment the domestics actually do outperform the transplants in is trucks - and all three are offering tones of incentives to move them. Its a great time to buy!
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 01-29-2009 at 21:37.

Well, the full-size trucks are nice, but a couple of problems:

1) I don't need a truck that big.
    2) Not sure it will fit in the garage.
    3) I have a 32 mile commute (each way).
    4) Full-size trucks don't come in manual and I love manual transmissions.

Strike for the South

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

If you already own a vehicle for your commute, maybe look into an ATV to do your plow job, instead of a pickup. I don't know about NH, but out here tons of repo'd ATV's get auctioned every week for about 30 cents on the dollar. Folks are 'walking away' from their toys, trying to cut costs.

Googling thru "small snow plow" showed Jeep Wranglers about the smallest vehicle used, to support the combined blade and snow load. So, if you insist on a truck, looks like you'll need a very powerful small one, or a regular sized one.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

To be honest I don't see any trucks smaller than 1/2 ton pickups with plows on them around here. I would imagine that one would need at least a six cylinder engine to generate enough horsepower & torque to plow snow. 4 wheel drive is a must and weight in the box to increase traction and the kinetic energy needed to push a 300lb. plow + snow.

If you already own a vehicle for your commute, maybe look into an ATV to do your plow job, instead of a pickup
    That might be the more frugal alternative, and will fit in your storage space.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

Plows are bad on trucks. You'll have to take it off when the snow clears and remount it every time you need to plow. Notice when the snows gone you don't see to many trucks if any with plows attached. Since you're only looking for your own personal driveway I'd reccomend getting a snowblower, minitractor or an ATV as an above poster mentioned
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war