Thread: My Epeiros Campaign 1.0

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Default My Epeiros Campaign 1.0

As I recently discovered a good picture hosting site I decided to share my Epeirote campaign with you.

I finished a long time ago but kept the images. I really loved this campaign and made a sort of slideshow of ruling periods. It EB 1.0 and keep looking at the minimap to see what the other parts of the world are up to.

It all starts as Pyrrhos Aiakades only rules his homeland, at war with his Macedonian neighbours.

After his reign, Greece is unified and so are the surrounding lands. He is succeeded by his eldest son Ptolemaios.

Ptolemaios sets out to campaign against the Ptolemaics with his royal army, while other general fight elsewhere. Also notice how Baktria conquered the Central Asian Nomads and how the Hayasdan destroyed their hated Sarmatian rivals.

Before his death, the Ptolemaic Empire is gone and he is entitled Ptolemaios "the Last", he expanded the Epeirote lands further east north and took the Nile. His only heir Pyrrichos takes over.

Pyrrichos quickly has new heirs, he has three sons, Klearchos, Hagesias and Pasion. Klearchos being the eldest of the three and the greatest. The promising young boy is sent to the Agoge and excells, he then is granted the command of a new army. This army will be sent against the Carthaginian Empire. Hagesias is also a strong man and campaigns eastwards together with his father, he learns from his father and takes over the command when he retires. Pasion is a smart man, but is given ill-health. He governs eastern cities. But the Seleucids attacks his town and he protects his cities with his life, together with persian archers. Early on he loses one of his eyes. Pasion is then called Monopthalmus (one-eyed). Pasion then also advances eastwards and gets even more scarred. When fighting near the Indus he even gets a wooden leg. There was hardly something untouched about this man. After the eastern wars end he can finally go back to the calmer governing.

When the conquering Pyrrichos finally dies the living legend who conquered half spain and Africa succeeds the throne. He fights some last campaigns and particularly hard campaigns against savages near Eburonum. He finally unifies the known world by conquering Seliun Pilis and thereby bringing peace tot he unopposed gigantic Empire. If he will die, his heir Menandros takes over.

Hope you liked it!

Post your thougths
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-01-2009 at 22:33.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Default Re: My Epeiros Campaign 1.0

very nice map at the end ^^ shortest AAR ever ;-)
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Also there were some curious thing I came accros during my campaign.

The Carthaginians came up with a ingenious idea! This happened during the campaign when Klearchos marched against them. He had spies to open the gate.

But the Carthaginians decide to... RAM BACK! Remember this is 1.0, but this was the weirdest EB thing I ever saw.

These Lusotannan soldiers also appeared to be lost.

And finally I found out that the Seleucids where supported by Satan himself! My general in that shot is Pasion, still with two eyes!

Well now these are my mysteries
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Mulceber!

Impressive!
    Last edited by Dutchhoplite; 02-01-2009 at 22:44.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post

very nice map at the end ^^ shortest AAR ever ;-)
    Your quite right Most storyline part is the sons of Pyrrichos. Was not really intended as an AAR though, I just wanted to show my slideshow like campaign

1x From Mulceber!

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Does the game automatically kill Pyrrhus when he assaults a city? Why else does it tell you to stay away from Argos?

Hmm... is Saudi Arabia inaccesible?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Does the game automatically kill Pyrrhus when he assaults a city? Why else does it tell you to stay away from Argos?

Hmm... is Saudi Arabia inaccesible?
    Saudi Arabia is part of the Sahara province, better known as the unconquerable provinces. These are not be conquered because they were not much things of importance. Pre 1.0 Dumatha was still there but it already had a structure called Sand, limiting trade. 1.0 and after it was not to be conquered anymore.

Historically they say Pyrrhos died by a rooftile thrown at his head. It was at a hellenic polis, so I suppose that would be Argos.
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-01-2009 at 23:02.

1x From Mulceber!

ram back?? how does this work?

Ok, quick question, Fluvius Camillus - how hard is it keeping those provinces at the outer reaches of your empire in check? -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    Ok, quick question, Fluvius Camillus - how hard is it keeping those provinces at the outer reaches of your empire in check? -M
    Not really hard, in the east put in all your bordering cities 10x Persian archers (or an equilavent), If the enemy besieges, just sally forth and shoot all your arrows at them, repeat this until theyre all dead every turn or finally kill them in the assault.

The only leak was the Hayasdan, I was a fool to trust them as they randomly attacked my cities, after an expensive war where I bougth all local mercenaries they died. With my recent Romani campaign I did not make the same mistake, I gathered 3 armies to wipe them off the face of the earth completely, that resistance was even more sad than the Britons when I invaded them!

Rebel provincies dont attack, so thats easy

Also the rebel fullstack cities in central Europa provide a nice barrier.

All other provinces have a natural border or a fullstack royal army.

I only lost Gava-Yugra to the Baktrians, when I conquered that city the Baktrians declared war right away and my depleted Hayasdan army could not win.

In that battle I killed 3 family members with a general and two groups of horse archers. I was surprised I could inflict that much damage. But sadly there was no winning as the main body still stood firm, my beloved general was trapped and killed (well he was my least favourite conquering family member so it wasnt that worse) Anyway I hope this answers your question!
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-01-2009 at 23:20.

1x From Mulceber!

what difficulty lever do you play on?

what difficulty lever do you play on?
    This one was VH/VH if remember well. Routing units dont really kill much, fear is my weapon! (The naked men and elephant combo + cavalry charges from rear and flanks and phalanx in the back really works!)
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-01-2009 at 23:26.

1x From Mulceber!

Well, I was more worried about the prospect of them rebelling - being 3000 miles away from your capital must make it pretty difficult to keep the public order up, but I guess the 10x persian archers thing explains that. BTW, congrats on completing such a huge (and difficult) campaign. How are your other campaigns coming? Got any maps to show of them? -M
    My Balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by Mulceber View Post
    Well, I was more worried about the prospect of them rebelling - being 3000 miles away from your capital must make it pretty difficult to keep the public order up, but I guess the 10x persian archers thing explains that. BTW, congrats on completing such a huge (and difficult) campaign. How are your other campaigns coming? Got any maps to show of them? -M
    The order was maintained by building a lot of health buildings, recruiting troops for the cities fast or place a good governer there. If you enslave (then still exterminate) them they also are quiet for a while If they really are getting annoying I give them autonomy. Building things like games is costly but can also help. I was stuck on Saba for a while because they were unnaturally discontent. I get that in every campaign, a particular region that is very hard to control. After erecting some nice buildings I could finally move on at Saba.

My very annoying regions were:
    With the Macedonians - Germania and the areas east of the Euphrates.
    With the Epeirotes - Only Saba
    With the Romans - The lusotannan cities were very annoying, luckily it was very close to my power base, I could send good governers till they grew into my culture and became more content.

My other campaigns:
    Saba failed

Makedonia was slower than Epirus but also a nice campaign, sadly I paused for a while when I controlled 60% of the world. Just before I wanted to start again I discovered that my computer was full of virusses (only had windows standard protection). All was thrown away, no back ups were made.... Now the computer runs good again and I have AVG antivirus which is really good, also my savegames are backed up on an USB stick.

Romani - I am currently working hard on the Romani, approaching 200BC. I have some pictures if you would like to see them.

The ONLY punic war, Scipio (soon Africanus) lands to defeat his enemy. The minimap is another purpose of this map

The bloody battle of Mediolanium

Victory to the Roman People!

This was my picture of a perfect spy (check the traits and retinue!). But it is more to show my current position, look at the minimap and imagine that I have the last Seleucid province and I capture a Parthian province (Nisa). That is where I am now.

Sorry for the pic-heavy page
    And I messed something up in paint, giving my pictures a white border and worse quality.
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-02-2009 at 00:00.

1x From Mulceber!

ram back?? how does this work?
    That is a mystery harder than the Eleusinian Mysteries

1x From Mulceber!

I always love seeing pictures, yeah it'd be nice if you have the time to post some up. -M
    My Balloons:

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

One word dude: Awesome. Here, have 2 balloons:

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 02-06-2009 at 17:21.
    ~Maion

Not wanting to degrade the accomplishments in anyway I'd just like to point out that you finished the roman campaign before even reaching your 300th turn. That basicly means that considering you play on vh/vh, you must've blitzed the ai out so badly that most of them didn't even get a chance to get past the first 20 turns,which are vital for them to build up and make sure they can atleast provide some challenge...

Personally, I'd rather play a slow campaign,do some roleplaying and even get my ass kicked on vh/m [on alex.exe tho] because I've let the ai take some time to build up and form some kind of opposition, but I guess this is the way some people like to play, grats on the achievement!

Funny by the way, the first screen of a full conquered map reminded me of a sceenshot a friend of mine sent me about 3 years ago a month after Rome total war released,when he just had conquered the world on easy/easy basicly killing entire armies with 1 general and stuff like that. In a way I feel the same about that as I feel about this: grats on the dedication but dude..isn't the best way to play this game, nerfing yourself and boosting the ai in such a way that it feels like you're actually facing a human,instead of using textbook repeating exploits just over and over again?

My 2 cents, excuse the grumpy tone: just got my ass kicked on multiple fronts and when I finally got A heroic victory on one of them, a ctd erased that little achievement .

Quote Originally Posted by rootje View Post
    Not wanting to degrade the accomplishments in anyway I'd just like to point out that you finished the roman campaign before even reaching your 300th turn. That basicly means that considering you play on vh/vh, you must've blitzed the ai out so badly that most of them didn't even get a chance to get past the first 20 turns,which are vital for them to build up and make sure they can atleast provide some challenge...

Personally, I'd rather play a slow campaign,do some roleplaying and even get my ass kicked on vh/m [on alex.exe tho] because I've let the ai take some time to build up and form some kind of opposition, but I guess this is the way some people like to play, grats on the achievement!

Funny by the way, the first screen of a full conquered map reminded me of a sceenshot a friend of mine sent me about 3 years ago a month after Rome total war released,when he just had conquered the world on easy/easy basicly killing entire armies with 1 general and stuff like that. In a way I feel the same about that as I feel about this: grats on the dedication but dude..isn't the best way to play this game, nerfing yourself and boosting the ai in such a way that it feels like you're actually facing a human,instead of using textbook repeating exploits just over and over again?
    Agreed with everything but 1 thing!

"..isn't the best way to play this game"
    The best way to play a game is the way you like to play it. It is a game after all.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

The same here. I like some opposition :)

<--- Dutchhoplite goes to war.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    The best way to play a game is the way you like to play it. It is a game after all.
    I second that, sir

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 02-02-2009 at 13:10.
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by rootje View Post

My 2 cents, excuse the grumpy tone: just got my ass kicked on multiple fronts and when I finally got A heroic victory on one of them, a ctd erased that little achievement .
    I respect your opinion and understand why you feel this way. But my first Total War campaign I completed involved beating 50 (NO excaggaration) house of Brutii armies. I was so tired of fighting after that campaign I decided to act fast from then on. Making real progress, not wanting to relive the trauma

After this campaign I will probably start a roleplay campaign with AS after I upgrade to 1.2. it may sound strange but Im so experienced now I crave to lose for once.

Also quick question, what are the differences between rome.exe, BI.exe and Alex.exe, I have them all so please inform me

1x From Mulceber!

BI.exe has naval invasions, Alex.exe has improved performance and better AI. I'd suggest Alex.exe. However since EB is designed for RTW.exe you might encounter instability (which however you might also encounter with RTW.exe). You can find the appropiate Minimods in the Minimod-subforum.
    I would use Alex.exe myself if my Alex.exe wasn't so unstable for unknown reasons.

Awesome campaign, btw.
    Last edited by machinor; 02-03-2009 at 18:49.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreek View Post
    "Dahae always ride single file to hid their numbers, these tracks are side by side. And these arrow wounds, too accurate for Dahae, only Pahlavi Zradha Shivatir are so precise..."
    <-- My "From Basileion to Arche - A Makedonian AAR" Memorial Balloon.

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

How do you take over the world so fast? Also you can take that huge peice of land in Africa, there is a tiny village in the south west corner of that territory.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Quote Originally Posted by Antinous View Post
    How do you take over the world so fast? Also you can take that huge peice of land in Africa, there is a tiny village in the south west corner of that territory.
    By blitzing like hell.

You can only get to Terhazza with cheats though.

Why do you need cheats to get that town?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=223299

Welcome to the parallel universe...
    Last edited by Mediolanicus; 02-04-2009 at 23:24.

Thanks.

Please stay on topic although the Terhazza case is concluded now.
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 02-05-2009 at 20:10.

1x From Mulceber!