Thread: When Empire Hits, Will You Stay Play M2?

Default When Empire Hits, Will You Stay Play M2?

Just as the topic says: When Empire releases (we're so close now!) will you still play M2TW?

I started playing again just yesterday in anticipation of Empire itself. I wanted to give myself a good month to get back into the TW swing of things. That said, I'm pretty sure I'll play M2 campaigns now and then alongside Empire campaigns. Still, Empire looks to steal the show.

What about you?

Default Re: When Empire Hits, Will You Stay Play M2?

Meh, title should read "Will you STILL play M2?"...

Can't edit it so if a moderator sees this, please go ahead and do so if you can.

Thanks.

Yes and No.

Yes: Because I have not purchased Kingdoms and refuse to purchase Empire--at the VERY least until it's been out long enough for the kinks to have been worked out, some more interesting mod to have been developed, etc. Also, I will not be upgrading my laptop to deal with the graphics requirements--the kind of graphics race at work in the TW series is very dismaying from my point of view. Rome's graphics were great and sufficient; M2TW's are phenomenal (if you can even run them), but excessive in the extreme. Without any way to scale Empire back to high-Rome or lowest-Medieval 2 settings, there just isn't any point in me playing it, even if I wanted to--which, given the last few years, I don't.

No: Because M2TW is pretty redundant, and fresh approaches seem to be lacking. What I mean is that unless an interesting mod comes along to offer a new map/exciting features, I don't think it will keep my interest. After having shelved the game for a year, I recently came back and had some fun with Stainless Steel. I've had my fill and am ready to set it aside again.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

I certainly will.

For one, Stainless Steel, kingdoms, and all the other mods I have, haven't even begun to be completely and utterly torn apart by me in single player mode. These provide me with countless hours of more game time left to explore.

For two, I won't be a fan of empire because my interest in games drops off when it becomes a matter of who has the most and best artillery, and guns have never been my thing.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I won't be able to play ETW with my current computer so I'll be playing MTW2 for some time yet.

Plus, there's always EB2 to look forward to.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I certainly will.

For one, Stainless Steel, kingdoms, and all the other mods I have, haven't even begun to be completely and utterly torn apart by me in single player mode. These provide me with countless hours of more game time left to explore.

For two, I won't be a fan of empire because my interest in games drops off when it becomes a matter of who has the most and best artillery, and guns have never been my thing.
    I'll admit, I'm excited about the time period that Empire covers. I think it's going to yield some phenomenal campaigns and battles for us. That said, there's definitely something to be said about the Medieval warfare era that no other era can compare too. So while I'm looking forward to Empires, I'll always play M2TW as well because it's easily my favorite time period.

The other exciting thing is all of the new tactics and strategies we'll have to learn and apply to Empire. Playing both games seems like the best solution for myself. I could just never leave Empire on the table...it looks too good.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I might play it again in 6 months to a year!

It could be sooner if it is a bomb…which I seriously doubt!

But MTW was the most repayable of the whole series and I always find my self going back to that one when I am feed up with what ever else is out there.

M2TW just is not the same! Sorry!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Probably won't play the grand campaign anymore... but Kingdoms and the mods are still worth playing.

To be honest, I think it all depends on how much space I have on my HDD :P I can't really afford a new one and I have far far too many games installed anyways.

If EB2 comes out soon though the likelihood is I shall keep M2TW and play that. I get cravings for R:TW but after playing the easy interface with M2 I find it very hard to go back and get stuck into a campaign. I do want Rome 2:TW a helluva lot though. Mostly so's I can play the Britons or Celts :D

Doesnt hurt to try it after all/most of the Bugs have been tweaked out. By then the game would have gone down a lil'bit in price. But I will still play my M2:TW.... Thus Far I'm loving playing all the catholic factions & Now I want to try the Muslim ones and try to see things from the other side. Once Im confident Enough I will give the Orthodox a try... They seem to be a lil'harder.

Terrible Tactician Member Shadowwalker's Avatar

I will not play Empire until I can do so without Steam ... which isn't very likely to happen.
    So the answer is yes - I will play M2TW as soon as I get bored with EB or EB2 is out.
    Finished EB Campaigns: Kart-Hadast 1.0/1.2 | Pontos 1.1 | Arche Seleukeia 1.2 | Hayasdan 1.2 | Sab'yn 1.2 | Makedonia 1.2 (Alex)
    Lost Campaigns (1.2, Alex. exe): Getai | Sab'Yn
    Ongoing campaigns (1.2): SPQR (110 BC) | Sab'yn (217 BC) | Pontos (215 BC)
    from Populus Romanus

"The state of human ethics can be summarized in two sentences: We ought to. But we don't." (Tucholsky)

I reside in the state of North Carolina and sometimes Johannesburg South Africa.

I'd still play Shogun if VISTA would let me. I love all of the games. I don't play MTW much because I have MTW2 but I still play RTW. Of course I still play Sid Meiers Colonization on DosBox. I like playing games. Graphics are cool but gamplay is what draws me.

SG
    A weapon is a tool for changing an enemy's mind.

Personally, I have enough left in Kingdoms, SS and LTC alone to keep me busy for another 5 years. I won't even think of getting Empires until it has been out a year or I hear reports sooner that the patch(es) have definitely fixed all the problems.

I may continue to play M2TW for awhile. I really, really want Empires, but it bothers me that they announced a delay of the release in December in order to "add" multiplayer. If they waited that long to add on such a major feature as multiplayer then it is unlikely that the game is finished, and more likely will have more bugs than an African termite mound when it is released next month.

Memento mori... Member Nikos_Rouvelas's Avatar

Yes I will still play Medieval. Whenever I'm in the mood for some Medieval actio. plus Third Age Total War and IB2 are coming out soon!
    "Once out of nature I shall never take
    My bodily form from any natural thing,
    But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
    Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
    To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
    Or set upon a golden bough to sing"
    "Sailing to Byzantium" William Butler Yeats

I'll go back to it when I'm tired of Empire and when I get bit by the Medieval bug.

still making Bowser jokes Member Roach Kill Champion, Donkey Rocket Champion Double A's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah, but not until I play through once or twice. I still play RTW some, so might as well play M2.

I'm still playing Vanilla too, so def. yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlefield Fire View Post
    I'll go back to it when I'm tired of Empire and when I get bit by the Medieval bug.
    Yeah, I think this is how I'm going to turn out in the end the more I think about it here. As Empire gets close, I just can't think I'll be playing anything else for a very long time.

Just everything about the game screams epic to me. I think I'll have my best Total War days with Empire since I first sat down to MTW ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    I certainly will.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtillerySmoke View Post
    I'll admit, I'm excited about the time period that Empire covers. I think it's going to yield some phenomenal campaigns and battles for us. That said, there's definitely something to be said about the Medieval warfare era that no other era can compare too. So while I'm looking forward to Empires, I'll always play M2TW as well because it's easily my favorite time period.

The other exciting thing is all of the new tactics and strategies we'll have to learn and apply to Empire. Playing both games seems like the best solution for myself. I could just never leave Empire on the table...it looks too good.

Got to agree with you two.
    Last of the Romans - Efthymios ek Sparteos

I will still be playing M2TW. In fact I am playing it now. I went back to Rome several times too.

Mostly I am waiting for the reception of the Empires. I tried the demo and liked it, but I am waiting for any bug reports in the full version, how often will CA release patches, for any FREE DLC that might come out. And most importantly L4D style weekend sales :) Basically if CA can manage this game just as well as Valve manages their Steam games (I can dream right?) I'll get it very quickly. Otherwise well ...

I will play less than I did already and ETW interests me. I no longer play the long campaign, but I enjoy the short campaigns with the Retrofit Mod and sometimes set up my own 20 region goals for a 50 -70 turn campaign. I will probably always play a bit now and then. It is a kick to play and with the variety f mods to dabble in ....

Good stuff!!!

Would you expect less from a Viking?

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

I will play MTW2 after ETW comes out.

Still have lots of fun and things to explre in BC/ Stainless Steel. 2 excellent mods, plus the best yet to come EB2!

I think I will wait what all the trusted Orgahs say about ETW.

And to be honest: EB is still so much fun to me, no need for muskets yet....I say yet b/c in real live i become increasingley interested in the post-30 years war timeframe so that might well spark my interest in ETW.
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

I will be still playing MTW2 as ETW will be released. I don't like too that empire total war era, however I hope it gets addctive me. As MTW2 was released i played several times in rome too. So here should be similar as then. And if full version of Empire Total War won't be having annoying trouble as the demo.

Where's your head at? Member Galain_Ironhide's Avatar

Funny, I posted a poll on this topic last year some time.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109866

My position hasn't changed, however I must say I all but stopped playing since christmas (though have chalked up a couple of late nights, slaughtering infidel and other unwilling christian neighbours).
    It might be time to pick up where I left off soon though. Starting to get that hunger back.
    - 'Let's finish the game.' - Josiah Gordon "Doc" Scurlock

Read my AAR - BC Kingdom of Jerusalem - For Faith or Greed