Thread: The Godfather, Part 3 - Summary thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Godfather, Part 3 - Summary thread

Please do not post in this thread.

This thread will hold all night and day writeups of The Godfather, Part 3 for your convenience, as well as the rules.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Godfather, Part 3 - Summary thread

Post 1 of main thread.

Prologue

A lonely, rusty old van clanked and rattled its way through the town. While not being noticed at all by the villagers, the people inside the van were taking a good look at their changing surroundings. One of them in particular seemed to be lost in his own thoughts, deep in his memories. It had indeed been a long time since he had been through these parts.

The town was thriving, having fully recovered from its near-decimation of many years ago. It had almost been a perfect, thorough job, but the villagers had survived and removed the threat against them just in time. The sudden lack of reports coming from the town of Gameroom prompted the man to take a drive through town and figure out what had happened.

He didn't particularly care that people would identify him as part of la Cosa Nostra. Even if they did, they couldn't have done anything about it. His hired crew, as it turned out, had killed all but three of the villagers. This fact had steamed the man even further. They were so close! but they couldn't pull it off. In the end, the Gameroom lived. And now, it had repopulated.

The man, after driving through town, decided then and there that he would wait before he delivered his revenge. Sure, he could have hired a couple of bagmen off any street to come in and pump the last few people full of lead, but that would have been a hollow victory. Instead, he would wait. The Gameroom would repopulate. It would once again thrive. And as time passed, people would forget about the events that had transpired here as they became part of the distant past.

No longer.

And so, the van with the words Vincenzo's Guttering painted on its side pulled up to a select house, still not being noticed by anyone in the town. After all, this sort of company was a common sight around these parts, what with the local obsession with property. Nevertheless, the three men still took precautions, being modestly-dressed in guttering uniforms, walking up to the house, and ringing about the doorbell.

In a short time, somebody inside opened the door. Upon seeing who was visiting him, the man said in a loud, overly-theatrical voice, "It's about time! My house could really use some guttering work!" He motioned the three men inside, glad to be able to speak freely.

"You're using the same van as last time?" the owner said. "Won't anyone notice?"

"No," said Vincenzo, the man who had been deep in thought the whole ride over. "And if they do, they won't make the connection. That is why we have waited so long. The town won't know what hit them."

One of the others, Gregorio, piped in. "You know what you have to do?"

"Yes," said the owner, showing only a slight sign of nerves. "As per your orders, I have identified two townspeople to be my henchmen. I am certain they will accept my offer once I make it to them."

"They'd better," said the final "gutterer", Jacopo.

"They will" said the owner, getting more nervous.

"Good," said Vincenzo. "The time has come. As soon as we leave you will contact your two designated henchmen. Once you have done this, your task is to kill every single one of these miserable wretches living in this cursed town. They have wronged me once in the past, deprived me of several of my best man. You will see that they all pay. I will get my revenge, and you will be the one to deliver it."

Upon saying this, Vincenzo and the other two departed the house, leaving the owner in his own thoughts. Vincenzo had recruited him a long time ago just for this task. Now that it was finally upon him, he would see it through. He would personally wipe this pathetic town off the map. He would become the Godfather.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rules:

This game is a resurrection of the classic Godfather series, hosted by the legendary Silver Rusher, who is sadly no longer with us. This series has always held sentimental value for me, as I took part in both games and have fond memories. In my opinion, the intricacies that Silver designed provide for high psychological drama and endless replay value.

If you're interested in a little history, the first installment in the series is here. The Godfather, Part 1 took place in September 2006 and resulted in the first ever Total Mafia Victory. Part 2, played in October-November of 2006, became the first Mafia game to break 1,000 posts and I consider it to be the greatest game of all time, even eclipsing Capo II. I'll leave you to see how it ends.

At the start of the game, instead of selecting the mafia, I will select one Godfather, whose job is to PM me with two other villagers who will become the Godfather's grunts. The Godfather will not be able to kill anyone in the game unless he is the only mafioso left.

Once the two grunts have been selected, the town will elect a Chief of Police, who cannot vote but is immune to night kills. This will be considered Day 1 of voting.

Immediately after the Chief is selected, I will select, out of the left over townies, someone to be the Detective, who gets the usual powers. The Godfather shows up as innocent to the Detective.

When sending me their kills, the mafia need to PM me them in the exact form they will appear. Unlike in my Mafia series, I will do very little editing, so you will need to disguise/uniformize your writing style.

Each Grunt can kill one person per night. This means that when one Grunt is executed the mafia's firepower is essentially chopped in half. As previously stated, the Godfather cannot kill unless he is the only mafioso left, in which case he can kill one person per night.

Standard dead/PM rules apply. You can't post any sort of conversations you had once you are dead or reveal your role, or hint at your role. The Detective cannot reveal privately, and cannot try to get around this by posting something in his location or signature or anything like that for five minutes. Say that you're the Detective in the thread. Also, no screenshots. Anything else is fair game.

Voting procedure is also standard.

On the first day, you will be voting for a Chief of Police only, in which case the voting will be as follows:

Elect: GeneralHankerchief

If you wish to change your selection, please do so as follows:

Unelect: GeneralHankerchief
    Elect: Silver Rusher

Starting on Day 2, the usual Vote: GH system is in place. You are allowed to vote "abstain" and also, for the first time in one of my games, "no lynch".

The Chief of Police can only be removed through a lynching. If the situation arises where we need to elect a Chief of Police mid-game, I'll deal with that as it comes.

Inactive players will be dealt with via the Wrath of God. I hold no specific criteria for Wogging. Basically, if I think you're inactive, you're gone.

Tie votes will be dealt with by a re-vote with only the players with the most votes eligible for the lynch.

Finally... I'll let Silver explain the final rule:

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rusher
    Each game in the The Godfather series will have its own special twist, which will differ between games.
    Roles:

Godfather: Randomly selected first. Picks two grunts. Shows up "innocent" on Detective investigations. Cannot kill until he is the only mafioso left. The Godfather's lynching results in an immediate victory for the town, even if there are still mafiosi alive!!!
    Grunts (2): Selected by the Godfather. Can kill one person each night. If only one grunt is left alive he cannot kill two people per night to make up for his partner's absence. Shows up "guilty" on Detective investigations.
    Detective: Randomly selected once the Chief of Police has been elected. Can investigate one person each night, however, cannot determine the Godfather. CANNOT REVEAL PRIVATELY.
    Chief of Police: Elected by town on Day 1. Cannot vote, but cannot be night-killed. The Chief cannot be sacked; if you wish to remove him from his position, you must lynch him. An optional feature to the CoP's role is that he may provide me with the daily lynch methods if he so wishes.

Let's have a great game, everybody!!!

Signed up (28/30):
    Ichigo (welcome back, BTW!)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    seireikhaan
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Lord Winter
    Rythmic
    White_eyes:D
    CountArach
    Tratorix
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    boudica
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro (also welcome back!)
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Blog Entries

Post 54 of main thread.

Day 1

The town, so far, suspected nothing. The van had made an amazing amount of noise the past day and spewed an ungodly amount of black smoke into the pristine sky, but nobody equated it with the return of the Mafia. The Godfather, busy with recruiting duties, would not kill anyone that night and so the town was spared, for at least a day.

As such, events continued on as normal in the peaceful Gameroom. Somebody in the park brought a large boombox and took requests from passers-by. People waved pleasantly at each other in the streets as they walked by on their business. As usual, a nude unicyclist pedaled down the main street, juggling three rubber balls, collecting tips and making merriment. The Elephant and Cannon Pub was doing a roaring trade in the aftermath of Super Bowl XLIII.

Most of the people walking by, greeting each other, listening to the man with the jukebox and watching the nude unicyclist were dressed casually, for the village had an overall relaxed atmosphere to it and nobody wanted to really rock the boat. However, this would soon change. In a rusty old van with the words Vincenzo's Guttering painted on the side, three men dressed in fine Italian suits were preparing to begin their operation.

The van pulled into the parking lot of the Gameroom Bank and the men got out, openly toting their tommy guns and firing them into the air at random. They walked into the bank, still firing their guns, not really afraid of anything.

"Okay
    paisans, listen up!" one of them said. "This is a robbery! Give us all the money and valuables you have! We need to buy more fine Italian suits!"

"Don't forget cigars, sunglasses, and choice alcoholic beverages," one of them said.

"Not to mention more guns, ammo, explosives, and assorted melee weapons," said another.

"Right!" said the first. "We are about to go on a killing spree in this town, and you guys are going to finance it for us! Now give us all your money!"

Somewhere, somebody pushed the alarm and a deafening siren began to fill the bank and the outside air. The robbers, while taken aback by the blast, did not seem scared in the least bit. Instead, they continued their motions of threatening tellers, customers, and the bank managers and shooting out random windows and ceiling parts until they were finally satisfied with their loot intake.

Before they left, the manager screamed to them. "Aren't you going to worry about us at all? The alarm's been going off for a full fifteen minutes now! The police should be here any second, and even if you miss them we know all about you!"

The lead mafioso just laughed. "You dolts! You don't even have a police force!" And with that, the three villains, carrying numerous bags with dollar signs on them, left the premises and sped away, leaving the bank manager, looking a bit stupid, to turn off the useless alarm.

"Well," he said, "This could complicate things a bit."

Word of the robbery spread, and pretty soon an impromptu meeting convened in the town square. Once everybody was accounted for, the first thing that people did was look for anybody dressed in a fine Italian suit, but evidently the criminals had changed their clothes, for there were no suits to be found.

"All right," said one man, "The bank manager said that the bad guys told him that we don't even have a police force here. Frankly, I think this is a disgrace! I mean, what's to stop these people from just killing the lot of us?"

"Yeah!" said another. "We need to get one established, now! And I think we should start building from the top! I move that we elect a Chief of Police right now, one who's responsible for stamping out this sudden wave of villainy that has washed over our fair town!"

Everybody roared in agreement, and the voting process begun.

Villagers, you will now elect the Chief of Police for the Gameroom. The Chief of Police cannot be night-killed and holds his position until he is lynched. Voting will be done like so:

Elect: GH

If you wish to change your selection, do so also in the usual manner:

Unelect: GH
    Elect: Silver Rusher

You have around 24 hours. At that time, I will close voting and then the real game will begin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (28)
    Ichigo
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    seireikhaan
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Lord Winter
    Rythmic
    CountArach
    Tratorix
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    boudica
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro

Blog Entries

Post 154 of main thread.

Day 1

Out of nowhere, immediately after the voting started for the position of Chief of Police, two candidates immediately pulled out fancy signs, music players, and started distributing flyers promoting their candidacy. Upon seeing the other do the exact same thing, both campaigns sadly turned negative and they spent the rest of the day mudslinging each other, forming the basest of attacks. This entire process would have made for a decent story, were it not for the fact that nobody else was paying them the slightest of attention.

Instead, there was a lot of self-voting going on for a while, until two more campaigns formed: a grassroots "draft" movement and an effective self-campaign targeting the common people of the Gameroom. What added to both campaigns' popularity was the fact that, aside from some threatening going on, they both remained positive.

Eventually, near the close of voting, shlin28's main competitor dropped out of the race, awarding shlin with the title of Gameroom Chief of Police. This announcement was met with cheers and even a "huzzah!" or two.

Eventually, shlin, outfitted with a police hat that was far too big for him and a beer in one hand, blew his new police whistle shrilly and got the crowd's attention.

"All right people," he said, pausing to take a big swig of the victory drink, "As your new Chief of Police, I shall do my very best to preserve order in this little town of ours." Taking another drink and picking up his shiny new police revolver in his other hand, he paused and fired five shots in the air.

"There," he said, "I think I have done a sufficient enough job to scare the mafia," he said to the shocked crowd. "Tomorrow we shall see if it worked."

Day 1 vote tally:

shlin28: 9 (shlin28, TevashSzat, 777Ares777, Andres, CountArach, Quintus.JC, LittleGrizzly, Tratorix, Reenk Roink)
    Reenk Roink: 7 (Ichigo, Sasaki Kojiro, Seamus Fermanagh, Askthepizzaguy, White_eyes:D, Rythmic, 187Beefyz)
    TinCow: 2 (TinCow, glyphz)
    CountArach: 2 (Chaotix27, Gaius Scribonius Curio)
    Askthepizzaguy: 1 (boudica)
    glyphz: 1 (Jolt)
    Seamus Fermanagh: 1 (seireikhaan)
    boudica: 1 (YLC)
    187Beefyz: 1 (Lord Winter)

Abstained (?): 1 (Sigurd)
    Didn't vote: 2 (taka, Ignoramus)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (28)
    Ichigo
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    seireikhaan
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Lord Winter
    Rythmic
    CountArach
    Tratorix
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    boudica
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Detective will now randomly assigned. PMs please. This includes shlin - I need a lynching method.

Night will last for around 24 hours.

Blog Entries

Post 208 of main thread.

Night 1

After shlin28 started settling into his new job as the chief of police, everyone in the Gameroom prepared to go home. Most of the people were excited at the upcoming changes under shlin28’s protection and had bright hopes for the future. Only Tincow refused to leave and was determined to get his rightful position as the protector of the social order.

Tratorix was driving home after the election results when he noticed a poster featuring a particularly attractive girl calling for change we can believe him.

“Huh,” he said, “That was exactly what I was just thinking about earlier during the elections.”

After a while, though, Tratorix started getting bored and was going to get back into his car when he noticed another poster across the street also calling for change we can believe him, but featuring another attractive girl.

As Tratorix approached the poster, something else caught his attention: a dusty poster plastered on a wall in the nearby alley.

When he first reached the dusty poster, he couldn’t see anything. Only after brushing off all of the dust did he realize that it was actually a picture of some unknown masked man eating a baby, just like Tincown had accused shlin28 of.

Horrified by such an image, Tratorix immediately backed away, but then tripped on a pothole. He fell backwards right onto a conveniently placed knife that was held upright with epoxy. The knife went straight through his lungs.

As Tratorix lied on the ground, gasping for air and slowly bleeding to death, he heard a rustling noise. He wasn’t able to turn his head very fast on account of his knife wound, but he managed to see a dark figure running out of the alley.

CountArach was very happy with the election of shlin28 to the post of Chief of Police. So happy in fact, that he even left the front door of his home unlocked without being afraid of a burglary.

"With Shlin28 as Chief of Police, we have nothing to worry about!" He said contently to himself and went to bed.

However, that night proved him dead wrong. Just as he was about to fall asleep, he noticed a shadow move past his window. "Must be the neighbors," he thought to himself and went back to sleep. Then, however, he slowly heard his door open. Alerted by someone’s presence, he shouted "who's there?" but there was no answer, as if the wind blew open the door.

"It must have been the wind," CountArach nervously laughed.

As he was walking towards the door he felt something stuffed into his mouth and quickly realized it was a wad of cloth soaked in methanol. His eyes went blurry and he fell on a carefully placed knife that was held upright with epoxy.

Being under the effects of the methanol, he hardly felt the knife slicing through his Kidneys. Right before he closed his eyes for the last time, he saw a Shadow run out of his doorway into the night.

After some time, both of these murders were reported to the Gameroom's new Chief of Police shlin28, who, sitting in his shiny new office, pondered what to do. And he pondered. And pondered. Then his new "Chief's assistant", clad only in a stunning black bikini, brought in champagne and the finest of caviar. As he licked the champagne off her bare stomach, he pondered some more. And then, in a flash of inspiration, he figured out what to do.

"Aha!" he said. "In a flash of inspiration, I have figured out what to do!"

He soon visited each and every individual house, on the way passing by the guy in the park with the jukebox blasting out "Karn Evil 9, First Impression, Part 2" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, and, of course, the nude juggler on the unicycle.

"All right, people," he said when everybody had gathered, firing a couple more shots in the air for posterity, "Looks like we've got some bad guys on our hands. Now, despite the similarity in kill methods, I'm reasonably certain that they were two separate murders. And since my force is not yet large enough to solve this the usual way, you're going to vote to see who did it. After all, you made such an excellent choice yesterday by hiring me, I fully trust in your ability to go two-for-two. The person with the most votes will be lynched."

"How exactly will they be lynched?" someone shouted out in the crowd.

"Yeah! We want a cool death!" People in the crowd started excitedly talking about how their chosen target would die.

"Patience, people," said shlin. "For my first lynching, I've brought out a classic." He pulled on a rope, and out of nowhere appeared a giant tank filled with water and certain living organisms.

"Sharks with frickin' lasers!" he exclaimed to the delighted crowd. "Aren't they lovely? Anyway, get voting!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (26)
    Ichigo
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    seireikhaan
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Lord Winter
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    boudica
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-04-2009 at 19:58.

Blog Entries

We have a tie vote between Ichigo and Seamus.

All other votes are thrown out; this time there will be a re-vote.

The re-vote will last slightly less than 24 hours, closing at 14:00 EST (GMT -5).

Tally:

Ichigo: 3 (taka, Sigurd, Sasaki Kojiro)
    Seamus Fermanagh: 3 (Lord Winter, boudica, YLC)
    Andres: 2 (TevashSzat, Chaotix27)
    Sasaki Kojiro: 2 (Andres, 777Ares777)

The following people have one vote each:
    shlin28 (seireikhaan)
    187Beefyz (TinCow)
    Chaotix27 (glyphz)
    Askthepizzaguy (187Beefyz)
    Ignoramus (Rythmic)
    Quintus.JC (Gaius Scribonius Curio)
    Gaius Scribonius Curio (Quintus.JC)
    YLC (Seamus Fermanagh)

Abstained: 5 (shlin28, LittleGrizzly, Reenk Roink, White_eyes:D, Jolt)
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-05-2009 at 23:37.

Blog Entries

Post 330 of main thread.

Day 2

It had been a long day in the Gameroom town square, with lots of voting, changed voting, re-voting, and, of course, tallying. Lots and lots of tallying. Chief of Police shlin28, engrossed in a captivating novel, paid little attention to the proceedings, and instead drafted a couple of trustworthy villagers to do the tallying for them.

Upon the first count, the villagers came back to shlin and said that there was a tie vote between two villagers: Ichigo and Seamus Fermanagh. Cursing to himself, for he wanted to go back home and watch some TV, shlin looked up from his book, fired his gun in the air a couple of times, and said "runoff!" before going back and reading some more.

Some time later, the villagers came back with the new tally, whispering the name of who was to get executed in shlin's ear.

"Ichigo!" he yelled. "Get up here, it's time to get on with the show!"

Reluctantly, Ichigo made his way up to the execution platform. He hadn't said much, and it seemed that his silence was the primary reason for getting so many votes. He finally snapped to attention late in the voting when he realized that he would have to say something in order to save himself, but it wasn't enough. And now, he was going to pay for it.

Still, though, he reasoned, at least in his final act he would be providing a cool death for the villagers.

"All right, Ichigo," shlin said, "the villagers say you're guilty and want you to die. Get in the tank."

Before Ichigo did as he was told, an errant laser beam fired off from the shark tank, passing through the glass and hitting Ichigo directly in the stomach. Moaning, he staggered forward a few steps, finally stumbling and tripping into the tank itself, where he was quickly ripped apart by a combination of teeth and lasers.

The villagers properly "ooh"'d and "ahh"'d over the display of marine eating habits and a light show, and all of them went home satisfied after the day's spectacle.

Day 2a tally:
    Ichigo: 9 (seireikhaan, TinCow, LittleGrizzly, Chaotix27, White_eyes:D, Ignoramus, Rythmic, Sigurd, Jolt)
    Seamus Fermanagh: 5 (Quintus.JC, 187Beefyz, YLC, glyphz, Andres)

Abstained: 6 (shlin28, Reenk Roink, TevashSzat, Sasaki Kojiro, boudica, Ichigo)
    Didn't vote: 6 (777Ares777, Lord Winter, taka, Seamus Fermanagh, Gaius Scribonius Curio, Askthepizzaguy)

~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (25)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    seireikhaan
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Lord Winter
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    boudica
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach

Executed:
    Ichigo

PMs please.

Blog Entries

Post 351 of main thread.

Night 2

Seireikhaan was driving down the street when he noticed a damsel in distress frantically waving her arms. He pulled up to her and offered his help. She explained that she needed to change a flat tire. As Seireikhaan checked the busted tire, a dark figure came into view and smashed his head with the tire iron, knocking him out cold.

Seireikhaan woke up many hours later in a dark cavern.

"What? Where am I?"

A deep voice replied "You are in a cave many miles from town. No one but me knows you are here. You are finished."

Seireikhaan looked around and discovered that he was strapped down to a metal chair. As he struggled to free himself, a large screen rolls down in front of him. Suddenly the screen goes bright and a video of a masked figure eating babies started rolling.

"I have your chair placed right above a giant tank of water. That button in your right hand will cause you to have a watery death," boomed the voice with laughter.

Seireikhaan did not last through the hour. His drowned remains were shipped to the front office of the Gameroom in the morning.

After the recent murders of Tratorix and CountArach, boudica had good reason not to go out at night for anything, other than for the lynching of Ichigo.

It didn't bother boudica enough to keep her from her evening jogging routine, however. After all, what was a potential mafia attack with the potential of destroying her entire peaceful little town when compared to the maintenance of her fitness regimen?

To be fair, it helped that she jogged on the other side of town from Tratorix's usual route. boudica went the scenic way, spending quite a bit of time in the Frontroom Park, far away from the alleyway, which, by this point, had been sealed off due to Tratorix's murder.

She jogged past the lake with its many mice and trace amounts of osmium, around the Frontroom cliffs with its extremely pointy rocks at the bottom, back to the lake where, sitting on a bench that looked like it had never been there before, was a man dressed in a business suit and hat waving at boudica.

boudica, out of breath, stopped automatically to wave back and chat with the man.

"Excellent evening for running, I do say," he said amiably.

"They all are," boudica replied.

"Indeed," said the man. "Allow me to recommend a beautiful route up in the hills if you're up for a change of scenery."

"The hills, eh?" boudica panted. "Maybe it is time to adjust my route. I'll have to try that sometime."

"I'm afraid you won't be able to," the man said, pushing boudica in the lake and holding her head under till she drowned, all with an apologetic smile on his face.

Eventually, Chief of Police shlin28 got wind of all these murders and grinned. The mafia hadn't been eliminated yet. That meant he got to supply another cool execution. After making a few phone calls to local farms, he gathered everybody in the town square, passing the nude unicyclist juggler and the guy with the boombox in the park. Stopping at this second guy, he asked a question.

"You," he said, "you're always at the park. Did you see anything strange?"

"No, man," the guy replied. "I was too busy chilling out to Perry Mason by Ozzy Osbourne."

"Well, all right," shlin said. "But I'm keeping my eye on you."

After some time, everyone had arrived, including the results of the few phone calls he had made. As a result, shlin was ready to begin the day's proceedings.

"All right, people," he said, getting everybody's attention. "Clearly, the mafia are still around, which means you losers didn't get it right last time. As such, we're going to try it again. And this time, the person with the most parts will literally be torn apart. I have acquired four majestic horses. They will each be attached to one of the unlucky person's limbs, and when I give the order they will race apart in different directions. Good luck!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (23)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Lord Winter
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica

Executed:
    Ichigo

Blog Entries

Post 486 of main thread.

Day 3

For some reason, this day seemed twice as long as usual, but most villagers chalked it up to the inverse of the "time flies when you're having fun" rule, as only the Chief of Police seemed to be enjoying the proceedings. Speaking of which, shlin28 denied any and all involvement in using his alleged godlike powers to extend the day, to which everyone groaned.

While everyone was voting, he was lording it around the Gameroom square on his beautiful white stallion, which everyone assumed that he would personally ride during the actual execution. Eventually, though, he dismounted and called "time" on the voting. After a couple of minutes of counting, he motioned over to his "Chief's Aide", still clad in her stunning black bikini.

"You," he said, "Fire my gun in the air a few times to get everybody's attention." She complied, handing the gun back to shlin afterwards. All eyes were on the Chief of Police.

"All right, people, it's time to kill somebody else! Lord Winter, come on dowwwwwwn!" He droned the last word out, making an enunciation similar to that of the announcer on the classic American game show "The Price is Right". The irony was not lost on a few Gameroom villagers, but Lord Winter was in no mood to appreciate it. He trudged up to four horses, grumbling.

"Well, we can't have any of that," shlin said, noting Lord Winter's grumbling. He took out a police baton and whacked Lord Winter over the head with it, sending him unconscious.

After a couple of minutes, all four of Lord Winter's limbs were attached to a separate horse. The Chief of Police and three volunteers from the crowd each mounted a horse (shlin, to nobody's surprise, took the beautiful white stallion). Looking at shlin for word of when to start, they took the reins.

"Three... two... one... GIDDYAP!!!"

There was a terrible popping sound. The crowd cheered. After listening to another boring speech from shlin about how he hoped everyone had did their duty and that there would be no more murders, everyone went home for the night.

Day 3 tally:

Lord Winter: 4 (Sasaki Kojiro, White_eyes:D, YLC, Askthepizzaguy)
    Sigurd: 3 (Andres, TinCow, 777Ares777)
    Sasaki Kojiro: 2 (Reenk Roink, TevashSzat)
    187Beefyz: 1 (Seamus Fermanagh)
    Jolt: 1 (LittleGrizzly)
    White_eyes:D: 1 (Gaius Scribonius Curio)
    LittleGrizzly: 1 (Jolt)

Abstained: 7 (shlin28, Lord Winter, 187Beefyz, Chaotix27, taka, Rythmic, Quintus.JC)
    Didn't vote: 3 (Sigurd, glyphz, Ignoramus)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (22)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    TinCow
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's chalk up this round's massive "abstain" count to the weekend. However, if it happens again, I will have no choice but to remove it as an option, meaning, if you abstain, you don't vote. If you don't vote, you get Wogged. Just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-09-2009 at 20:21.

Blog Entries

Post 557 of main thread.

Night 3

TinCow was walking his dog down the street, enjoying all the new golden Christmas lights that had been put up in the Gameroom by shlin28. He was too engulfed with the golden Christmas lights to notice the red dot on his chest. Luckily there was someone there to point it out too him.
    He heard someone screaming "TinCow, Watch Out! There is a red dot on your chest! It's a Sniper!!!"

The man threw TinCow what appeared to be a bulletproof vest, and he put it on without much thought. Not noticing that it was a vest covered with C-4 explosives!

It was too late to take off the vest though, the button was pushed, and TinCow went KABLOOEE!
    A laser pointer and a business hat was found at the scene of the crime, along with the words "BEEFED" branded into his severed head.

Chief of Police shlin28 knew nothing of this until much later in the day, as he was busy preparing for the daily execution. "Always be prepared" was one of his many mottos, and besides, even if the mafia were really and truly gone... well... this sort of thing had always been a hobby for him anyway.

This time, unlike the past two days, the lynch would take place in the Gameroom Park, where the nude man on the unicycle was riding back and forth, juggling, keeping an eye on things, and the man with the boombox was blasting out "Woke Up This Morning" by Alabama Three.

After a while, shlin finished his job and whipped out a flare gun, firing it into the air. He then sat and waited as the entire village, minus TinCow, filed its way into the Park.

"All right," he mused when everyone had arrived. "Looks like we're down TinCow. Too bad, this execution is gonna be pretty cool. He would have liked it, I'm sure.

"Anyway!" he shouted to the crowd, catching them by surprise. "You're gonna vote again. The person with the most votes will enter this little salt hut I have made, complete with windows."

Everyone raised their eyebrows. A salt hut? While the amount of salt in itself was impressive, nobody saw the connection between the person entering the hut and then dying.

"The person and the hut will then be forklifted into the Gameroom pond we have here," shlin continued. "Then, judging by that person's choice, either physics or biology will take over. Get voting!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (21)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Sigurd
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter

Blog Entries

Post 657 of main thread.

Day 4

Everyone was distracted while voting in the Gameroom Park, their attention focused on the large salt hut looming over them and the massive glare it created by reflecting the sun's bright light. Nevertheless, the monolith-like presence of the hut did not distract them from voting, which made the guy with the boombox, observing it all, very glad.

Voting from the start focused on two people: YLC, who seemed to be daring people to vote for him, and Sigurd, who apparently had this shifty look about him. Perhaps it was just the villagers of the Gameroom not being used to his scary black robes as opposed to his usual viking attire. Whatever the reason, Sigurd garnered a lot of votes.

At the end of the day, Chief of Police shlin28, who had been bathing in the pond for most of the day and being accompanied by three beautiful "aides" while doing so, exited the pond, had his "aides" dry him off, and then made his way over to the tally booth, where he read the votes and pointed over at Sigurd.

"You", he said, "get in the hut."

As Sigurd trudged over to the hut, muttering to himself that it was "too early to yell at people for being quiet", shlin skipped over to the forklift, climbing in and starting the engine.

"All right Sigurd," he yelled over the engine, "As previously described, I will now forklift this hut you're in and drop you in the pond. Now, eventually physics will take over and you will slowly be crushed by water and the dissolving salt. However, I am not a cruel overlor-er... Chief of Police," he said, catching himself. "If you manage to get out I will let you live another day... good luck with that, though."

shlin drove the forklift over to the hut, lifted it up, and dropped the whole thing in the pond. While all this was happening, Sigurd was thinking to himself.

"Wow," he said to himself, "I can't believe I have an out! If I can just get free of this hut, I'll live another day! Now, I can't simply swim downward and out, because I don't want to risk blacking out because of the increased pressure... I know! I'll lick my way through!"

And so, as shlin dropped the hut into the pond, Sigurd started licking like he never did before. For a while, it wasn't so bad. But eventually, his tongue got tired. And the salt mixing with water was not a very good combination. He fought through the pain, however, believing that anything was better than death.

As the salt hut around him gradually dissolved both to the natural solvent of the pond water as well as his licking, Sigurd felt a new kind of pain, one that wasn't physical so much as all throughout his body. Grimacing, gasping for air, Sigurd continued to fight. Despite everything, he was making significant progress. The town was all gathered around the pond, watching eagerly to see if he could pull it off.

Time passed. Sigurd, fighting through immense pain, continued licking. The salt hut was all but gone now.

"How much salt do you think he's consumed?" one person asked.

"Dunno, but it can't be healthy," another replied.

The conversation was quickly cut off as somebody gasped. The salt hut was gone. Sigurd was alive, surviving the pressure, and was beginning to swim to the edge of the pond! Sure, his strokes were slow and not really "flowy" at all... but still, he was about to survive a lynch! Despite this, shlin seemed unperturbed that his plan was being thwarted.

As Sigurd's hand reached the grass and gripped dry land, everybody cheered, forgetting that they had condemned him to die only a few hours earlier. The cheering only got louder as the second hand gripped dry land and as Sigurd pulled himself entirely out of the pond.

However, it was not to be. Sigurd stood up, staggered... and then collapsed, sliding back into the pond. This time there was no attempt to get out, and Sigurd floated, motionless, on the water's surface.

"High blood pressure from too much salt intake," shlin explained to the crowd, smirking. "I told him he would either die by physics or biology. He took the biology route. Good night, all."

Day 4 tally:

Sigurd: 6 (Andres, Sasaki Kojiro, Gaius Scribonius Curio, glyphz, taka, Reenk Roink)
    YLC: 5 (Quintus.JC, Chaotix27, TevashSzat, YLC, Ignoramus)
    Jolt: 1 (LittleGrizzly)
    taka: 1 (Psychonaut)
    Reenk Roink: 1 (Sigurd)
    Psychonaut: 1 (Seamus Fermanagh)
    LittleGrizzly: 1 (Jolt)
    Ignoramus: 1 (Askthepizzaguy)

Abstained: 3 (shlin28, 187Beefyz, White_eyes:D)
    Didn't vote: 1 (777Ares777)

~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (20)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Jolt
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd

Blog Entries

Post 700 of main thread.

Night 4

Jolt was returning home from work when he saw a large white envelope placed right in front of his front door. On guard given the recent killings, he cautiously opened it for fear of some nefarious killing device. To his relief, there was only an unmarked DVD disc and piece of paper in it which said:

“Meet me at the abandoned office building just southeast of the Gameroom and north of the Frontroom in one hour. Bring the DVD. -Your Friendly Neighborhood Savior”

Jolt was not an idiot so he called up the Chief of Police, shlin28 to tell him of this meeting. Unfortunately, shlin28 was held up by a pizza delivery car the whole drive home and never received the message in time.

Confident that shlin28 would be home soon and call for backup, Jolt anxiously drove to the abandoned office building. The whole area was quiet except for the rustling of a poorly attached poster exclaiming the importance of saving the grizzly bear population nearby.

Jolt entered the building lobby where he saw a small television with a DVD player attached to it placed on the floor. He slowly inserted the DVD he received from the envelope into the player and waited for the video to play.

A dark figure appeared and started talking, “Hello, Jolt. I see that you managed to get my message. Good, this means that there's still some trust left in this place. You have no idea how glad I am to know this. This building is currently under watch. Stay put, I'll be here in five minutes. We'll talk face-to-face then. This is a dire situation. I want to warn you of the impending chaos to come…..”

Outside, the wind finally blew that grizzly bear poster down to reveal a sign that said: “WARNING, DEMOLITION TO OCCUR AT DUSK.”

Jolt never managed to hear the rest of the message because the whole building was instantly blown up.

When shlin28 and his backup finally arrived, the building was reduced to a huge pile of rubble. Dental records had to be used to identify Jolt’s remains.

Cursing, Chief of Police shlin28 drove back to the town square. His day had been interrupted, his lynch method for the day was behind schedule, and to top it off the interruption was for actual police work, and not something more pleasurable like a massage session with some of his "aides". Police work wasn't supposed to be part of the job!

"They'd better lynch whoever was responsible for interrupting my day," he muttered to himself. "This is a crime more serious than murder."

Grunting, he stuck a particularly heavy uncomfortable chair to the execution platform. Looking around, he saw the man with the boombox lounging about, listening to "Escalator of Life" by Robert Hazard, not a care in the world. For some reason, he seemed to be playing the song's climax over and over again. As always, the nude unicyclist pedaled and juggled about, observing everything.

Ignoring the two, shlin made his way into the back of a large van, taking out a firework. Grinning for the first time in hours, he set it up and launched it. Soon enough, everyone gathered to where he was.

"All right," he said, "Here we go again. This time, the execution is simple. All that will have to happen to the person with the most votes is that they'll sit in the chair. Sound easy enough? Good, amuse me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (19)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Askthepizzaguy
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd

~~~~~~~

Voting will close at precisely 14:00 EST tomorrow.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-12-2009 at 19:39.

Blog Entries

Tie vote between Askthepizzaguy and Tevash. We're having a re-vote.

I'm probably not going to be around for the voting deadline tomorrow. As such, the re-vote could either be around 22 hours or it could be around 26. I won't be sure until tomorrow, so get those votes in sooner rather than later!

Day 5 tally:

Askthepizzaguy: 5 (TevashSzat, Sasaki Kojiro, Andres, Reenk Roink, Seamus Fermanagh)
    TevashSzat: 5 (Quintus.JC, YLC, Beefy187, Askthepizzaguy, Psychonaut)
    YLC: 1 (777Ares777)
    Quintus.JC: 1 (Gaius Scribonius Curio)
    Reenk Roink: 1 (Chaotix27)
    Sasaki Kojiro: 1 (LittleGrizzly)

Abstained: 3 (shlin28, White_eyes:D, glyphz)
    Didn't vote: 2 (taka, Ignoramus)

Blog Entries

Post 940 of main thread.

Day 5

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah "tie vote" blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah much finger-pointing, yelling, and screaming blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah TevashSzat stepped forward and declared he was the Detective blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Chief of Police shlin28 called an end blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah "Askthepizzaguy, you're guilty. Get up here." blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Askthepizzaguy came up and gave his final execution speech, which was as follows:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

*inhale*

*exhale*

*inhale*

"Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

By this point everyone had fallen asleep, and sadly not even ATPG's screams of terror as he was beaten to death by rubber chickens could rouse the crowd. shlin, disgusted, kicked everybody in the crowd and told everybody to go home.

Day 5a tally:

Askthepizzaguy: 8 (Sasaki Kojiro, Reenk Roink, White_eyes:D, TevashSzat, Beefy187, Seamus Fermanagh, Andres, Askthepizzaguy)
    TevashSzat: 6 (Ignoramus, taka, Psychonaut, YLC, Chaotix27, glyphz)

Abstained: 4 (shlin28, Gaius Scribonius Curio, 777Ares777, Quintus.JC)
    Didn't vote: 1 (LittleGrizzly)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (18)
    shlin28
    YLC
    777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Rythmic
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    187Beefyz
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy

~~~~~~~~~~~

A very long, entertaining, tense, and exhausting round folks. Let's all keep in mind that it's just a game and enjoy ourselves for the remainder of it.

Blog Entries

Post 1016 of main thread.

Night 5

Ignoramus was looking more into Jolt's death and found himself at the now, abandoned demolished office building. He was curious on how they found Jolt's corpse under tons of rubble, when he had heard that they found the body just outside of it. He started looking over clues, that the CoP might have missed and found a sign that looked interesting. It was dusty so he had to brush it off but it had the words on it, "look out for falling hazards". disappointed it was not the break he was looking for, he threw it aside but then he heard a strange metallic rumble coming from above. "Can't you read?" he heard, just before a 90 ton wrecking ball fell down and crushed him flat like a pancake. "Guess not" said the voice as he stepped out of the wrecking crane and fixed his tie. The next day; they found a DVD next to Ignoramus remains with this video on it.

Sasaki Kojiro taking a stroll through the Gameroom, minding his own business, confidently putting one foot in front of the other. He was quickly becoming a power figure in this entire situation. For the most part, people had been listening to him more than even the Chief of Police, and the two people he had gone after hardest were now six feet under. He figured if he could just keep up his intuition then his enemies would fall.

He wasn’t worried about dying, either. Sasaki, see, had everything planned out. He was a high-profile figure in every day’s voting, making sure never to look *too* noble while crusading loudly. No, Sasaki would always have that air of shiftiness about him, ensuring that both he would never die at night while at the same never looking too shifty to be lynched in any of the voting phases. Yes, Sasaki was sitting pretty, confident in both his day and night positions.

This would prove to be a fatal assumption.

Sasaki continued walking through the Gameroom, his thoughts slowly shifting from random snippets of life to the town’s current state and its strategy for the next couple of days. He barely noticed the nude unicyclist, juggling as always, pedaling by and then actually stopping, staring at him. Since this was the first time that Sasaki could recall the unicyclist doing anything other than pedaling and juggling, he turned to make conversation.

“Hello,” Sasaki said, for the first time slightly unsure of what to say or do next, “Uh, nice day, isn’t it? So how are you holding up through all this?”

The nude unicyclist seemed to ignore this, instead staring straight at Sasaki. “You,” he said, “You are the leader of the town.”

Slightly perturbed, Sasaki continued to stumble over his words. “Well, uh, not technically… I mean shlin is our Chief of Police and all… I suppose you could say the town’s been following me for the most part, but I don’t see how that really constitutes being ‘leader’…”

“You are the leader of the town,” the nude unicyclist repeated.

“Uh… well… okay fine, I’m the leader of the town,” Sasaki replied.

The nude unicyclist’s eyes widened. “YOU LEAD US ALL INTO THE GRAVE!” he boomed in an unearthly monotone. His facial expression turned back to normal, as did his voice. “Engage primary arsenal!” he commanded, to an unknown entity.

Instantly, there was a whirring sound. After a second, Sasaki saw two submachine guns spring out of the unicycle’s handlebars. After another second, he heard the unmistakable sound of ammunition, probably automatically, being loaded into both guns.

Crying in surprise, Sasaki dove to the ground. Luckily, his reflexes, honed from years of playing Shogun: Total War multiplayer, did not abandon him at the critical moment and he was fast enough to dodge the initial salvo of bullets directed his way.

“YOU SHALL NOT ESCAPE JUSTICE SO EASILY!” the unicyclist boomed, and adjusted his handlebars to Sasaki’s new position. This time, he pulled the trigger and held it down. Sasaki crawled around in a circle, just managing to stay an inch ahead of the unending spray of bullets that would end his life. It went like that for a while, with Sasaki occasionally changing his motion path to throw off the unicyclist. All the while, he was gradually increasing his distance away from the stationary unicycle, searching for an escape.

“I need to buy some time,” he said to himself, and looking around, grabbed three small rocks. Gripping them in his good hand, he winged them right at his attacker as hard as he could.

“Target practice,” the unicyclist chuckled to himself, and calmly took his aim off Sasaki to fire at the rocks and made them explode into dust. But after that was done, he refocused on Sasaki and cursed. His prey was already on his feet and about to enter a car which (extremely conveniently) had its keys in the ignition.

The unicyclist shot out the driver’s side window, and the passenger’s side too as there was nothing to block the bullets’ path, but Sasaki stayed down and managed to start the car without taking any damage. A second later the unicyclist saw the car’s steering wheel club flying out the window, coming right at him, and had to readjust his aim to shoot that out of the air as well. In the time he had lost, Sasaki had adjusted himself into a drivable position and was already jamming on the gas, speeding away from the unicyclist.

“Phew, that was a close call!” he said to himself, driving away. “He’ll never be able to pedal as fast as this bad boy.”

“Engage thusters,” the unicyclist said. “Mark One.”

Thirty seconds later, Sasaki gasped as he saw a unicycle coming up fast in his rearview mirror. A couple of seconds after that, the unicycle was close enough where Sasaki could see its driver, gritting his teeth, pulling the triggers on both handlebars.

Sasaki ducked, again just in time. A storm of glass descended on the car’s interior, this time from the front and rear windshields being shot out, and a second later the rearview mirror itself. Sasaki lied face down on the chair, head tilted up, legs leaning against the chair’s back but careful not to have any part exposed. Both of his hands had a death grip on the steering wheel, although for a second one of them left it in order to jam the “cruise control” button. He could still see where he was going, but barely. Bullets whizzed by all around him. He heard a loud “ding” as one of them connected with his chair back’s support beam.

“Stalemate,” Sasaki exhaled as he tried to see where he was going.

The unicyclist took out his juggling balls and pressed a secret button on one of them, a second later chucking it at the car ahead.

There was a loud explosion, and Sasaki felt his car being lifted into the air from the blast. Luckily, it managed to stay upright and a second later it came crashing to the ground. Sasaki, not wearing a seat belt, hit his back on the car’s ceiling and then fell back to the chair, only his death grip on the steering wheel keeping him from totally losing control.

“If I die, my last wish is to know who the *#%! makes this crazy unicycle!” he yelled to the air, in frustration.

The unicyclist threw his next juggling ball/bomb on an angle, and it worked. This time, the car was lifted in the air and did several sideways flips before finally crashing, upside-down, on the side of the road. Sasaki slowly crawled out, moaning. He was sure he had broken a couple of bones and he was bleeding from several wounds.

He quickly changed from moaning to screaming as he felt a hand grip his wrist. Barely aware of what was happening, he felt himself being dragged along the road as the unicyclist rocketed on. He heard the unicyclist say “Engage thrusters, Mark Two.” Suddenly the terrible feeling of being dragged along at a high speed was gone, replaced by one of being rocketed in the air. Somehow the unicyclist’s rockets were so powerful that they had all left the ground!

Sasaki looked down, gulping. Despite his injured state he was still able to clearly conceptualize the road, the other cars, the trees getting smaller and smaller as the unicycle got higher in the air. Over the sound of the air resistance, he was able to hear the unicyclist speak.

“You lead us all to the grave!” the unicyclist shouted again, staring straight ahead into the sky, his hand maintaining an iron grip on Sasaki’s wrist despite everything. “But no longer! I take matters in my own hands to lead us back into the light!”

“Don’t know… what… you’re talking about…” Sasaki wheezed. “Please… let me down…”

The unicyclist paid no attention to Sasaki’s pleas. “WITH THIS, I TAKE US FROM THE DARKNESS OF ETERNAL OBLIVION INTO THE GLORIOUS LIGHT!!!” Finally, he let go.

Sasaki fell, screaming all the way down until his body finally exploded on impact with the ground. Meanwhile, the unicyclist made a smooth landing, put some clothes on, and put his unicycle away.

Later that day, Chief of Police shlin28 shook his head as he examined the remains of the two victims. "Jeez," he said, "what a way to go," referring to Sasaki's final journey. "I hope you don't have anything similar up your sleeve?" he remarked to the man with the boombox, who simply smiled and continued listening to "One Love" by Bob Marley and the Wailers.

After his work was done, he returned to the Gameroom Square, and summoned the villagers once again to the area. There was no preparations that needed to be done, as his execution method from yesterday was not used.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (16)
    shlin28

777Ares777
    Andres
    TevashSzat
    Quintus.JC
    Psychonaut
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    Beefy187
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy

~~~~~~~~

Note: YLC's player slot is currently in limbo. YLC has removed himself from the game, but I intend to replace him with one of three people who have expressed interest in the game. Once/if I pick somebody, I'll make an announcement and they'll fully replace YLC.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-15-2009 at 20:04.

Blog Entries

pevergreen has replaced YLC.

Blog Entries

Post 1153 of main thread.

Night 6

Psychonaut was walking along in the Gameroom parking one foot in front of the other, without a care in the world. After all, the one person and likely mafiaso, Sasaki was dead, leaving him safe and sound.

He could never quite be pinned down to be a lynch target and was sure no one noticed that joking exchange between him and Sasaki, when he was pressured and going to be voted for no reason. He assumed that he was safe from night kills, as who would want to target him? after all, they didn't know his true identity.

This would prove to be a fatal assumption.

Psychonaut continued walking along but then noticed a man in a business suit, watching him from a cliff with binoculars. "That's weird," he thought, then he tried to walk faster towards the end of the park, not noticing the rather large hole that had been dug recently into the ground. He fell in and tried to get up but then realized he twisted his ankle, "NO, " he shouted. If only he hadn't walked here this way, this never would have happen. If only he had kept his mouth shut, he never would have gave himself away.

The man in the distance only said "for Sasaki" as he pulled out a remote controller and pressed the button, which triggered the C4 he had placed around the hole he had dug, with Psychonaut still trapped inside.

The resulting explosion was heard across the Gameroom. When the CoP arrived, all he found was a now huge hole in the gameroom park and a DVD near by entitled 'To the loving memory of Sasaki'

Chief of Police shlin28 was very annoyed to have had his suntanning session interrupted. The attendants in the booth he had recruited to "watch over him" were very beautiful - and scantily-dressed - indeed. But now they were gone, and he found himself examining another murder scene. All of the music the mafia had selected was annoying, too; although the man with the boombox's choices wasn't any better. Today he was playing "Still Alive" by Jonathan Coulton, smiling as shlin shook his head as he walked by.

The execution plan for the day wasn't too elaborate, as shlin wanted to get back to tanning. He set up the cannon, called all the villagers to the usual spot, and announced that whoever had the most votes would be shot out to parts unknown.

"I'll be back when voting is finished," shlin concluded to the crowd. "Don't kill each other. Only I'm allowed to do that."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (14)
    shlin28
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Andres
    Quintus.JC
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    Beefy187
    taka
    Seamus Fermanagh
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat

Blog Entries

Post 1216 of main thread.

Day 7

Today was Seamus Fermanagh's birthday. Upon informing the citizens of the Gameroom of this fact early on in the voting, everybody stopped what they were doing and threw an impromptu party for one of the town's finest residents. It was a nice little break from the frightening monotony of "witness death, face execution, repeat." Everyone had a merry time, forgetting about their fears, if only for a little while.

As the voting phase dragged on (without the Chief of Police present), so did the party. Presents were exchanged, most of them promises that would be honored should they "ever get through this". Somehow, one of the villagers even managed to get their hands on a cake that even had "Happy Birthday Seamus" written in fancy script with icing.

Seamus, honored, cut up the cake and divvied it up between the remaining villagers, saving the biggest slice for himself. What the hey, the chances were good that he was going to die the next couple of days, why not live a little? Later, someone brought back a large case of beer, probably nicked from the Elephant and Cannon Pub.

Merrily, the villagers indulged themselves, and eventually they all started to slur their voices and indulge some deep secrets. It was not uncommon to hear phrases like "You're my besht friend" and "For He's a Jolly Good Fellow" choruses aimed at Seamus that day. The merrymaking continued for a few more hours, and many of the villagers had the best time they had in months, yet alone since the Mafia had began killing everybody.

Eventually, Chief of Police shlin28, looking tanner and satisfied, returned, perplexed at the scene.

"Wait, you people were having a party and no one invited me??!?!" Everybody was silent for a few seconds, and then they all burst out laughing, including shlin. After the laughter died down, the Chief of Police asked everybody if they had come to a decision.

"GUILTY!" a plurality of villagers shouted in unison, pointing their fingers at the birthday boy.

"Oh, *#%!", Seamus muttered, and trudged up to the execution platform. The party was over. Along the way, he continued muttering to himself, and then eventually lashed out at the villagers, calling them all fools, protesting his innocence. Eventually shlin had to intervene as he took hold of Seamus and dragged him forcefully the rest of the way.

"Well, at least there'll be fireworks for the party," shlin said to a thoroughly-depressed Seamus as he shoved him into the cannon. "Too bad it'll be you. Happy Birthday, Seamus," he said, grinning, as he stepped back and lit the match.

"All right, everybody," shlin said, addressing the crowd. "Three... two... one..."

BOOM!

Everybody cheered as Seamus Fermanagh, the day's final festivity, was spectacularly launched into the night, shooting far and wide, and eventually out of everybody's sight. The next town over, in his office, Vincenzo stood up with a start as a charred figure crashed through his window. Recognizing the body as Seamus's, he raised one eyebrow.

Day 7 tally:

Seamus Fermanagh: 4 (Reenk Roink, LittleGrizzly, taka, White_eyes:D)
    shlin28: 3 (Andres, Quintus.JC, Seamus Fermanagh)
    Reenk Roink: 2 (Chaotix27, Gaius Scribonius Curio)
    taka: 1 (pevergreen)

Abstained: 3 (shlin28, glyphz, Beefy187)
    Didn't vote: 1 (777Ares777)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (13)
    shlin28
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Andres
    Quintus.JC
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    Beefy187
    taka
    LittleGrizzly
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat
    Seamus Fermanagh
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-18-2009 at 20:57.

Blog Entries

Post 1251 of main thread.

Night 7

LittleGrizzly was sitting at his home watching T.V. When he heard a knock on the door. He was no fool though, after all the murders that had taken place he had a deadbolt chain-locked door to prevent intruders and stayed away from windows, so he wouldn't be shot by a sniper. He didn't want to be a easy kill, so he answered the door carefully.

When he opened the door with the chain on, there was a man in a business suit, who looked real down. Letting his guard down, he let the man in as he said he had something he wanted to discuss and it was "life threatening". LittleGrizzly was no fool though, he had the man sit on his couch and wait while he went to get some "snacks" which in this case, was a twelve gauge shotgun. Then he came back, only to find him gone. "Damn, I might have let the killer slip though our fingers", growled LittleGrizzly, he then found a box where the man had sat down. Curiosity got the better of him and he decided to open it up and KABLOOEE!! his house, along with several others were wiped off the Gameroom map. Once again, all the Chief of Police found when he arrived was a DVD entitled 'For Seamus', along with massive destruction.

Chief of Police shlin28, after watching and then discarding the DVD, was very annoyed. He had been hard at work all through the night and even the day, creating his greatest lynch method yet in the Gameroom Park. He had been "in the zone", so to speak, and having to drive to the murder scene to deal with yet another explosion had taken him out of his element. Whoever was to get executed tonight had better deserve every second of the awesomeness shlin was about to unleash, strictly for interrupting his work, yet alone killing off most of the town.

After a couple more labor-intensive hours, shlin finally took a step back, looked over at the man with a boombox playing "All My Life" by the Foo Fighters, and looked back at his work.

"There," he said, "It's done. Time to call everybody over."

Some minutes later, the villagers arrived and stared at was was before them. Despite shlin's pronouncements that this would be the greatest method of execution known to mankind, all they saw was leftover stuff from the previous few executions.

"Oh, you'll see," said shlin with a wicked grin on his face. "You will see."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (12)
    shlin28
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Andres
    Quintus.JC
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    Beefy187
    taka
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut
    LittleGrizzly

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat
    Seamus Fermanagh

~~~~~~~~~~~

ANNOUNCEMENT: Since it looks like shlin28 is in hot water this round, if he does get lynched the new Chief of Police will be selected by me, via random.org.

Blog Entries

Post 1359 of main thread.

Day 8

As the day dragged on, Chief of Police shlin28 gradually dropped his facial expression from that of a wicked grin (in anticipation of using his awesome lynch method on somebody) in favor of lots of nervous glances. Sweat started to run down his face as it became clear that he was in the lead in votes.

There was a lot of opposition to the shlin execution movement, however, they were utterly disorganized, every single individual throwing his vote in a different direction. Eventually, after somewhat extending the process in a last-ditch effort to survive, shlin closed the voting.

"All right," he said to the small crowd gathered in the Gameroom Park, "by a count of 5-1-1-1-1-1, I'm dead. I shall perform my final duty in the same way I have performed my other duties as Gameroom Chief of Police: to the full extent of my abilities."

The Chief's "aides" all broke out into tears, running over to their boss and "consoling" him for a couple of minutes before shlin finally motioned them away. With lipstick all over his face, shlin, now wearing a slight grin, made the announcement to the crowd what the execution would be.

"Okay folks," he said, "I have here four small hot air balloons. Each balloon will be tied, via rope, to one of my limbs. Naturally, these balloons will float, taking me along with them. Now, I'm sure you people that voted for me will be happy to join in the next part. You'll notice the ten cannons nearby? It will be your job to load them with fireworks as well as sharks with frickin' lasers. These cannons have been set at a precise angle, so don't mess with 'em. Most likely I will die due to shark bites, the lasers, or the explosions from the fireworks. However, in case I don't, there is still a backup plan." He pointed to an open-ceiling salt hut slowly dissolving in the Gameroom Pond.

"Boombox guy, 'Taps', if you please", shlin said, and the man with the boombox obliged, even saluting the soon-to-be-former Chief of Police.

Slowly, shlin's aides tied the four balloons' ropes to his limbs, and eventually, he rose up into the air, waving goodbye to everybody. After about a minute, he shouted down. "FIRE THE CANNONS!" All ten cannons were fired, and everybody watched as the sharks with frickin' lasers and fireworks launched right for shlin.

The lasers flashed everywhere, the fireworks exploded in a multitulde of colors, and one shark even bit a grasp of shlin's shoulder. However, aside from a few burns and bruises, shlin was pretty much unharmed. He couldn't say the same for the balloons, however, as they were all ruined due to the stuff fired at them.

shlin screamed as he dropped right into the open-ceilinged salt hut...

...followed by the sharks with frickin' lasers and a couple of fireworks with longer fuses than the rest. After it was all over, nobody found any trace of the former Chief of Police's body.

Everybody was about to go home, however, the clouds opened up and a beam of sunlight descended upon Reenk Roink. Reenk, just as confused as everyone else, looked around in shock.

"I feel oddly compelled to go to shlin's office and assume his former position," he said, unsure of the words coming out of his mouth. Nobody else had a problem with that, and they all went their separate ways.

Day 8 tally:

shlin28: 5 (pevergreen, taka, Beefy187, Gaius Scribonius Curio, glyphz)
    Andres: 1 (Reenk Roink) (Reenk forgot to unvote, thus leaving his vote on Andres valid.)
    glyphz: 1 (White_eyes:D)
    Reenk Roink: 1 (Chaotix27)
    Gaius Scribonius Curio: 1 (Andres)
    taka: 1 (777Ares777)

Abstained: 2 (shlin28, Quintus.JC)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (11)
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Andres
    Quintus.JC
    Chaotix27
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    Beefy187
    taka
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut
    LittleGrizzly

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat
    Seamus Fermanagh
    shlin28

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reenk Roink has been selected at random to be the new Chief of Police. Your execution orders are due, sir.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 02-20-2009 at 20:52.

Blog Entries

Post 1375 of main thread.

Night 8

Chaotix27 was living in the newly built, Gameroom bomb shelter prepared by the previous Chief of Police for his own protection. After the recent bombing of LittleGrizzly and over half of his neighborhood with it, Chaotix27 was more then a little nervous about having visitors. He waited by the corner of the bomb shelter telling himself, "The Godfather is dead, yes, we lynched him today there's nothing to fear" holding his knees and rocking back and forth while saying this.

Then he heard a knock on the bomb shelters vault door almost giving him a heart attack. "Who is it? what do you want? are you with the Mafia?" Chaotix27 blurted out. The person behind the vault door responded with "No, I was just dropping by to tell you that the Godfather has been confirmed lynched, and we are all stopping by the new Chief of Polices house, to have some drinks". "Rea-really?" Chaotix27 stuttered, "yeah" said the voice behind the door. After this, the voice behind the door said "are you gonna come or what?" Chaotix27 responded with "OK, just give me a minute to open the vault door".

When he opened the vault door, he saw the voice that spoke from behind the door was a man in a business suit and hat. "Ready to go and die?" the man asked. Chaotix27 tried to shut the vault door but was too late as the man readied a switch blade and quickly ran towards him, Chaotix27 saw this and then tried to protect himself by grabbing the mans hands. The man saw this and moved the blade swiftly towards Chaotix27 throat, cutting it cleanly as if he had done it a hundred times before. As Chaotix27 started choking to death on his own blood, the man merely whistled quietly to himself, while preparing something in the center of the bomb shelter. Twenty minutes later there was a HUGE explosion coming from the bomb shelter, that was felt across the gameroom. All that was found at the scene was a DVD entitled "For Reenk", just outside the bomb shelter.

Chief of Police Reenk Roink knew nothing of this, however, as he was deep within the catacombs of shlin28's old office, making preparations. Of course he knew that there would be a murder; the confirmation of such would only waste time. Reenk would be efficient, if nothing else.

Nobody knew where Reenk was though, until an incedibly-magnified voice boomed throughout the Gameroom, easily drowning out the sound of the "Atom Heart Mother Suite" by Pink Floyd, coming from the boombox.

"COME TO THE GAMEROOM SQUARE," the announcement boomed. "YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO." Everybody obliged, and the voting began.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (10)
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Andres
    Quintus.JC
    Reenk Roink
    glyphz
    Beefy187
    taka
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut
    LittleGrizzly
    Chaotix27

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat
    Seamus Fermanagh
    shlin28

Blog Entries

Post 1750 of main thread.

Night 11

Day breaks in the Gameroom. All is quiet.

Quintus.JC walked home from the latest execution, thoroughly disturbed at everything that had went on. With his mind elsewhere, he prepared for another night of sleep that wouldn't come. Of course, it didn't, as he stared at his ceiling, contemplating long after the sun rose.

He didn't notice the sound of a window breaking, nor the sound of footsteps throughout his house, nor did he notice the door to his room being kicked in and a shadowy figure standing in the doorway, pointing a revolver right at him.

*BANG!!!*

QJC died.

Laughing softly, the Godfather departed the scene. He needed to survive only one more lynch and then he was home free.

The shot rang out through the silent village, which meant everybody knew that they would have to be present at the Gameroom square one more time. And so, with the London Symphony Orchestra's rendition of "The Final Countdown" appropriately coming from the man with the boombox's speakers, they began the process of voting one last time.

For the four people remaining, including Chief of Police Reenk Roink, this was it. For better or for worse, this would be the last time.

~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (4)
    Andres
    Reenk Roink
    Beefy187
    taka

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut
    LittleGrizzly
    Chaotix27
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Quintus.JC

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat
    Seamus Fermanagh
    shlin28
    glyphz
    Gaius Scribonius Curio

~~~~~~~~~~~

ANNOUNCEMENT: This is the final round. Congrats to everybody for making it this far, but you're not done yet. The round will last for 48 hours, as is custom in the final round in my games.

Reenk, thank you again for all your work these past couple of days. There will be no need for a writeup this time.

Good luck, everybody!

Blog Entries

Post 1979 of main thread.

The day dragged on and on. Despite the desperateness of the situation facing the town, the remaining villagers of the Gameroom appeared to have accepted their fate one way or the other. Very few of their votes seemed to be based on who they actually thought was the mafia. As a matter of fact, it would seem that the reasons why they case their votes were actually quite petty, or more likely deeper, beyond face-value comprehension.

No matter the reason, they voted. And when Chief of Police Reenk Roink called time, the villages presented him with a tie. Of course.

"SO," The Wanax proclaimed. "AFTER ALL OF THE EXTRA TIME I HAVE GIVEN YOU PEONS TO MAKE A FINAL, DECIDING VOTE, YOU PRESENT ME WITH THIS." Even in the black, expressionless void where his face should have been, The Wanax still brought forth the impression of anger and rage. The force emanating from his person was so that the villagers, even by now dulled to every event, all soiled themselves in fear.

Popping a grape off his hat and examining it, The Wanax continued to speak, calming down slightly. "I suppose this was to be expected," he said, taking out the
    phasgana and examining it thoughtfully as well before putting it away. "Here we have four separate villagers, each with their own individual motivations and beliefs, values and fears. Naturally, as the number of voters and choices whittle down, the probability that the outcome will result in a tie increases."

Plopping the grape into the area of the void where his mouth should have been, he suddenly pointed a quivering finger out in the crowd. "AUDIENCE!!!" he boomed, causing the other villagers to shiver with fear. "WE HAVE BEEN PRESENTED WITH A TIE VOTE. HOW MANY OF YOU BELIEVE THAT I WILL JUST KEEP YOU HERE FOREVER UNTIL ONE OF YOU EVIDENTLY CRACKS AND SWITCHES YOUR DECISION?"

Slowly, everybody raised their hands.

"Of course you would," The Wanax mused. "After all, that has always been the outcome of this particular scenario in the past, has it not?" Again, slowly, all the villagers nodded after casting their minds back to the few times the vote had ended in a tie in the past.

The Wanax continued. "YOU," he said, pointing at Beefy187. "IS IT LOGICAL TO BELIEVE THAT THE LAWS OF PHYSICS WILL HOLD FOR AN INDEFINITE AMOUNT OF TIME INTO THE FUTURE?"

Beefy paused, clearly not expecting this line of questioning from The Wanax. "Uh, well," he stumbled, "I suppose, yes. I mean, after all, were the laws of physics to not hold, then surely the universe as we know it would cease to exist."

"A perfectly reasonable and expected answer coming from such an unenlightened person as yourself," The Wanax replied, and Beefy wasn't sure if he was being complimented or not. "Clearly, your basic level of education has served you well, for you knew that if physics stopped making sense then the universe itself would no longer be. HOWEVER!" he yelled, and everybody jumped, soiling themselves again. "HOW CAN YOU BE CERTAIN?"

There was silence.

Plucking another grape from his hat and popping it into the area of the void where his mouth should have been, The Wanax continued. "What we are presented with here is the basic problem of induction, as outlined in Hume's An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding. Just because we are aware of a particular phenomenon always happening in one particular instance does not mean that that phenomenon happening in that instance is always the case. For example, if you were a woman, raised solely by a woman, and in your entire life had only ever come into contact with other women, then it would be reasonable to hypothesize that the species
    Homo Sapiens only had one gender. However, this is of course incorrect, as we all know that humans have more than one gender. Likewise with the physics problem I presented to you earlier. Just because they have held throughout our comparably short existence does not mean that they will cease to do so at a later point in time."

"But how does this relate to the vote" somebody asked.

"I WAS GETTING TO THAT!!!" The Wanax thundered, and his voice was so full of quick anger that everybody soiled themselves for a third time. "The problem of induction relates to this instance quite well. Just because you have all been used to ties being broken in one particular way does not mean that this is the only way. For instance... I could do this instead."

Everybody watched as, one by one, The Wanax plucked the remainder of the grapes from his hat. However, instead of consuming them, he this time threw them all on the ground. A great purple mist engulfed everything, until a second later when the Gameroom Square was finally repopulated. Along with the living villagers, there stood their 24 dead comrades, re-animated and sentient once again. However, they were transparent, their insides being a smoky purple mist.

"I HAVE DECIDED TO LET THE DEAD TEMPORARILY ASSIST YOU IN THIS FINAL TASK. THEY SHALL DISAPPEAR ONCE THIS IS COMPLETE. YOU ALL MUST VOTE FOR EITHER BEEFY187 OR MY HOST, REENK ROINK. THEN WE SHALL END THIS, ONCE AND FOR ALL. I WILL BE WAITING."

Day 12 tally:

Beefy187: 2 (Reenk Roink, Andres)
    Reenk Roink: 2 (taka, Beefy187)

~~~~~~~~~~~

So it all comes down to this. All players, dead and living, must vote for either Beefy or Reenk. Voting will close in precisely 24 hours. Best of luck to everyone once again.

Blog Entries

”All right, mortals,” The Wanax said after several more hours of voting. His dark void somehow stared over the crowd. Amongst the smoky purple figures were three normal, alive, unspoiled human beings. Huddled together, scared, exhausted in every possible way over the events of the past week, they were ready for this to end, one way or another.

And end it would.

BEEFY187!” The Wanax boomed, and even the ghostly purple beings jumped back in fear. “YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE MOST VOTES! STEP UP TO THE PLATFORM AND FACE YOUR FINAL JUDGMENT! “ Even with the infinitely dark, endless void where The Wanax’s face should have been, all of the villagers somehow got the impression that he was staring at Beefy with an impatient look, as if ready to get this over with.

For Beefy, the world went silent. The mutterings of the villagers, living and dead, ceased to exist. The relatively few ambient sounds of the Gameroom were also muted. Instead of there being a discernable sound, everything around him blended together, swirling around him in a great cacophony of nothing. It was over, for him, for everyone else. After twelve days, twelve agonizingly long days and nights that somehow felt more than over a month, it was finished. With no outside influence to distract him, with him suddenly, seemingly becoming immune to the very passage of time itself, Beefy had forever to reflect upon what happened, to ponder, to regret. He felt himself walking up the steps to the execution platform, but at the same time, his mind was elsewhere. Perhaps it had already departed for the place where his soul would soon join it.

“Time to die, Beefy,” The Wanax said, pulling out the
    phasgana, finally snapping Beefy back to reality.

“TIME FOR ALL OF YOU TO DIE!!!” The Wanax boomed suddenly, and for a second, the villagers saw a flash of Godfather Reenk Roink in that horrible void. In an instant The Wanax’s arms were spread wide, the
    phasgana in his hand glowing a pure white. Beefy, terrified beyond all reason, somehow noted that The Wanax’s feet were a few inches off the ground.

“You little puppets,” The Wanax roared, and nobody was unable to notice now the expression of pure triumph that somehow was made clear on the void. “You pathetic little puppets never could take the next step in human evolutionary thought throughout this entire little mess.”

Rising even higher off the ground, The Wanax somehow slipped into the tone of voice on someone giving a discourse, despite the glowing
    phasgana in his hand and the dark clouds quickly forming over the village. “All of you, sticking to your horribly outdated means of thought. Surely you did not seriously believe that your collective, conservative decisions could match the awesome wisdom of The Wanax?” The Wanax paused, allowing appropriate time for the villagers to contemplate what he just said, before continuing.

“You pathetic life forms are as predictable as the ants marching out to gather food and then marching back into the anthill,” The Wanax said. “It’s the problem of induction all over again! Did you learn nothing from the lesson I taught you merely hours ago? DID YOU REFUSE KNOWLEDGE FROM THE WANAX?!??!”

The villagers, realizing that they were all doomed, could still do nothing but listen in pure fear.

“JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING HAS ALWAYS HAPPENED A CERTAIN WAY IN THE PAST DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN THAT WAY IN THE FUTURE!” The Wanax thundered, and then, upon reflection, calmed down a bit. “Of course, with a superior intellect, I knew that you would be lynching based off past behavior. Because it’s served you well before and you’re all comfortable in your familiar little shells and routines, all of you afraid to take the leap that would propel town thought forward. Of course I knew that none of you would accuse me as a mafioso, saying that my actions were too ‘ballsy’ for someone who had so much at stake. It was simple logic, and thus I stayed one step ahead of you the entire time by doing the thing I knew you would least expect from a villain. I wouldn’t even call what I did a calculated risk so much as someone simply understanding what direction the town would take and making the necessary adjustments.”

The Wanax lowered to the ground, but only slightly. “However. I did admire your bravery and your willingness to press on, no matter the consequences. I was seriously considering sparing you for a while, even though you killed both of my grunts. BUT THEN YOU STRAIGHT UP IGNORED BY BIGGEST HINT!!! I MEAN, I GAVE IT TO YOU AND YOU BLATANTLY IGNORED IT!!! THE WANAX WILL NOT STAND FOR SUCH AN EGREGIOUS WASTE OF KNOWLEDGE! YOU MUST ALL DIE!!!” The
    phasgana, now being lifted into the air, continued to glow. At its point, the glow intensified and expanded, all at once engulfing everything into a blinding white light…

Blog Entries

”All right, mortals,” The Wanax said after several more hours of voting. His dark void somehow stared over the crowd. Amongst the smoky purple figures were three normal, alive, unspoiled human beings. Huddled together, scared, exhausted in every possible way over the events of the past week, they were ready for this to end, one way or another.

And end it would.

BEEFY187!” The Wanax boomed, and even the ghostly purple beings jumped back in fear. “YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE MOST VOTES! STEP UP TO THE PLATFORM AND FACE YOUR FINAL JUDGMENT! “ Even with the infinitely dark, endless void where The Wanax’s face should have been, all of the villagers somehow got the impression that he was staring at Beefy with an impatient look, as if ready to get this over with.

For Beefy, the world went silent. The mutterings of the villagers, living and dead, ceased to exist. The relatively few ambient sounds of the Gameroom were also muted. Instead of there being a discernable sound, everything around him blended together, swirling around him in a great cacophony of nothing. It was over, for him, for everyone else. After twelve days, twelve agonizingly long days and nights that somehow felt more than over a month, it was finished. With no outside influence to distract him, with him suddenly, seemingly becoming immune to the very passage of time itself, Beefy had forever to reflect upon what happened, to ponder, to regret. He felt himself walking up the steps to the execution platform, but at the same time, his mind was elsewhere. Perhaps it had already departed for the place where his soul would soon join it.

It was quick. Soon, Beefy’s corpse lay on the ground. In an instant, the smoky purple figures of the dead villagers vanished, leaving only Reenk Roink, Andres, and taka. There was silence for a few minutes, as everyone just stood around, not even milling. The silence continued, everyone looking at each other stupidly from time to time.

“Well,” said Andres, “what now?”

“Dunno,” said Reenk. It wasn’t me.

“It wasn’t me either,” said Andres.

“taka?” they both said at the same time, turning to third living villager. But Godfather taka already had two Tommy guns out, pointing directly at both Reenk’s and Andres’s faces. Their eyes widened in surprise for just a second, but then their entire expression turned downcast in shame. They had failed, then.

“Please make it quick,” Andres said.

taka just laughed. “Why would I have any incentive to do that?” he said. “This entire process has been drawn out a bit too slowly anyway. I might as well make it consistent. Hands behind your head and on your knees. Face away from me.” Moaning in despair, Reenk and Andres complied. Not like it mattered, since taka was most definitely going to kill them anyway. The sole reason that these two were playing by the Godfather’s rules was to die with a little more knowledge than they had now.

“Pants and shirts off,” taka continued. “I want to humiliate you first. A pity that there isn’t anyone else around to see you like this but I want this image of ultimate triumph ingrained in my mind forever.” Grinning, he watched as Andres and Reenk miserably did what they were told, again.

“You know, it’s pretty interesting, given The Wanax’s speech before he temporarily resurrected all of the dead. He was going off about the problem of induction, saying how humanity has a tendency to stay in its shell and believe that events will always happen the same way just because it’s been that way in the past. It’s interesting because you guys stayed beyond that for all this time, pathetically trying to advance your thinking in desperate hopes of catching the Godfather. And yet, here he was the entire time, using a time-honored tactic of not saying much, flying below the radar… just slipping by and watching while the rest of you killed yourselves.”

“So this entire final voting round… it was just a sham?” Reenk said.

“That’s right,” taka said, laughing giddily. “Once The Wanax called time last voting round, I knew it was over. And that’s why that whole induction speech was so deliciously entertaining. Because I had already proved The Wanax wrong. I used the most time-honored mafia tactic ever. AND I WON WITH IT, TOO!” taka threw his head back and made a truly evil laugh.

“I admit, I thought for a while that I was in serious trouble, especially after you guys got Lord Winter early on and then White_eyes:D at the very end, but I prevailed. I admit, it was a lucky break when TevashSzat fell asleep right after revealing, but we would have offed him anyway.”

Andres and Reenk, in their tighty-whities, said nothing, still hanging their heads in shame.

“Do you have everything you need?” taka asked. Both villagers nodded in reply.

“Good. I guess the last thing that will ever be on your minds is the shame coming from overlooking the obvious. Again.” taka, then, finally, opened up on the villagers far more than necessary. He then looked to the skies in triumph.

The Godfather was victorious.

REAL RESULT: CLOSE MAFIA VICTORY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Still alive: (1)
    taka – Mafia Godfather

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut
    LittleGrizzly
    Chaotix27
    pevergreen
    777Ares777
    Quintus.JC
    Reenk Roink
    Andres

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter – Mafia Grunt
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat – Detective
    Seamus Fermanagh
    shlin28
    glyphz
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    White_eyes:D – Mafia Grunt
    Beefy187
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 03-04-2009 at 01:27.

Blog Entries

Post 2094 of main thread.

Day 12

And end it would.

*SCREECH!!!*

The terrible screeching sound was followed by the roar of a very powerful engine. Out of nowhere, a van barreled into the Gameroom Square. A van with the words Vincenzo’s Guttering painted on the side.

All the living villagers dove out of the way, including Beefy and The Wanax, scrambling to get as far away from the van as they possibly could. It was a wise move, as Vincenzo, Gregorio, and Jacopo all jumped out of the van and fired their machine guns at anything and everything that moved. Even the dead villagers, unharmed by the bullets, were forced back by the sheer momentum that the three capi produced.

Once Vincenzo deemed everybody was at a safe range, he fired his gun in the air to call for quiet. He quickly received it.

“Okay, everybody, listen up! The last time I did this, the three of us nearly burned to death. This time, we’re doing it right. Greg! Bring out the vacuum!” Gregorio did as he was told, exchanging his SMG for, oddly enough, a vacuum cleaner.

“In a moment, Greg is going to turn the vacuum on, and all of you guys are getting a new home, ‘Ghostbusters’ style! Now then, I see that my mafioso has failed me again. Guess it’s time to put this place under new management. My first act as new Mayor of the Gameroom is to rename it. I think ‘Vincenzoland’ has a nice touch, don’t you, boys?”

Greg and Jake instantly nodded. Better not to disagree with the boss in one of his moods.

“I suppose I’ll let Beefy187 live,” Vincenzo mused. “After all, he and his boys TevashSzat and White_eyes:D *did* kill most of the village, including the Detective seireikhaan and that crazy nude unicyclist 777Ares777. It looked like he was going to be lynched in the end, but I guess a timely save by Vincenzo worked out! Beefy owes me big. Now, Greg, about that vac-OUCH!”

Vincenzo buckled to the ground, screaming. Out of nowhere was GeneralHankerchief, standing over the Godfather’s boss, holding his trusty boombox in one hand and a baseball bat in the other. Before anyone could react, GeneralHankerchief swung it at Jacopo who also went down in pain. That only left Gregorio. GH, moving quickly, went into the van and a second later came out, holding a plug that was obviously connected to the now-useless vacuum. Greg, realizing that GH had superiority of arms for the moment, knelt to the ground alongside his comrades and put his hands over his head.

GH looked over the townies, living and dead. “What?” he asked after a moment. “You honestly thought I *wouldn’t* be present in another Mafia assault on the Gameroom?”

Some of the older villagers, such as Sasaki Kojiro, Ichigo, and Sigurd, laughed. Of course this would be true.

“I mean, sure, I was responsible for the first two… but still. Anyway, the police are coming. The *real* police. These three paisans are going to jail for a long time.”

Everybody cheered. Living and dead, they partied long into the night, dancing and drinking, and, of course, getting GeneralHankerchief to play one final song on his boombox: “I Fought the Law” by the Crickets, the Clash, Green Day, and every other artist that covered the very relevant song. After many more drinks, however, the celebration abruptly ended as they realized that two people were missing: Beefy and The Wanax.

Beefy was running down a street as fast as he could, desperate to escape both the wrath of the villagers as well as Vincenzo. He was too worried about getting as far away as he could to notice the red dot on his chest. Luckily there was someone there to point it out too him.

He heard someone screaming "Beefy Watch Out! There is a red dot on your chest! It's the Sniper!!!"

The man threw Beefy what appeared to be a bulletproof vest, and Beefy put it on without much thought. Not noticing that it was a vest covered with C-4 explosives!

It was too late to take off the vest though, the button was pushed, and Beefy went KABLOOEE!

A laser pointer was found at the scene along with a business card with the words "The Wanax" and a grape watermark.

REAL *REAL* RESULT: CLOSE TOWNSPEOPLE VICTORY!!!

~~~~~~~~~

Survived: (3)
    Andres
    Reenk Roink
    taka

Killed:
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    seireikhaan - Detective
    boudica
    TinCow
    Jolt
    Ignoramus
    Sasaki Kojiro
    Psychonaut
    LittleGrizzly
    Chaotix27
    pevergreen
    777Ares777 - The Nude Unicyclist (one-time vigilante)
    Quintus.JC

Executed:
    Ichigo
    Lord Winter
    Sigurd
    Askthepizzaguy
    TevashSzat - Mafia Grunt
    Seamus Fermanagh
    shlin28
    glyphz
    Gaius Scribonius Curio
    White_eyes:D - Mafia Grunt
    Beefy187 - Mafia Godfather

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that about wraps up The Godfather, Part 3, gentlemen. I'll say more in my commentary, but right now I want to thank and congratulate you all, town and Mafia, for making this an incredible game. It has truly been a pleasure to host for you this past month and you don't know how glad I am that we were able to do this wonderful series justice.

A BIG ROUND OF APPLAUSE TO ALL THE PLAYERS!!!
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 03-04-2009 at 02:44.

Blog Entries

Essay on mafia win discrepancy and town playstyles:

My games are always about the Mafia, more specifically how they’re able to strategize with there being few distractions to confuse the town. Naturally, this isn’t the case with everybody. Seamus’s Capo di Tutti Capi series, for example, is about the individual choices people make. A lot of other hosts take complicated mechanics and run the games to see if it works out. A lot of others use it as more of a roleplaying opportunity than anything else. However, I’ve believed for a long time that high drama comes from elsewhere. Like the typical mad scientist, I like to take a mafia team, put them under ever-increasing pressure, and see what comes out after a certain period of time.

I suppose I had always thought this on some level, but I didn’t start truly thinking about it until a bit before the game started. There had been a string of mafia victories on the .Org. Dating back, Chicago Soirée, the Scourge of Ephesus, The Prometheus, The Full Monty, and Midgard II have all ended in town losses with only Fillet Royale breaking the streak in Large games.

My curiosity on this matter only increased when White_eyes brought up the supposed “Curse of GH” in the sign-up thread, where the town usually always wins. I knew this was true, having, you know, hosted the games, but I never really thought about why this was the case. Then, I started looking at the differences my games have from the others. Obviously, I’m well known for hosting vanilla games. But is that the only reason for the town’s disproportionate success in the Mafia series and now the Godfather series as well?

As it turns out, pretty much. The way the games on the .Org have evolved, we’ve always placed more emphasis on the mafia than the town, and the result is numerous complex, sublime, and most importantly effective strategies used by the mafia against a town that is always a couple of steps behind. It had gotten to the point where TinCow and I were having a discussion about possibly putting in substitute objectives for the town as opposed to killing the mafia, and whether those goals could even consider the game a mafia game anymore. Anyway, at the risk of going off on a tangent, the point is that, other things equal, the mafia beats the town on the .Org a significant majority of times.

I have tried to compensate for this, both consciously and unconsciously, by making my Mafia series experience for the mafiosi something akin to the garbage pit sequence in the original Star Wars – things look good at the start, but eventually the walls close in on you from all sides. You and your partner have to first put all the barricades up to buy time, and second think of a proper escape strategy (i.e. endgame plan) since those barricades won’t hold forever. This is doubly true in the Godfather series, speaking from experience. I remember Silver’s Godfather 2 keeping me up at nights, just constantly thinking about strategy and tactics. When do we switch to one kill per night? Do we at all? If we ever go back to two kills, how many holes will that blow in our alibis? Is the twist potentially helpful or harmful? Will nightkilling this person come back to bite us in the future? Will pushing for this person’s lynch? What happens if the Godfather comes under suspicion while I’m still alive? I think it’s this kind of evening of the playing field that always made so attracted to the series in the first place, and why it wasn’t too much of a jump for me to host it.

An alternative explanation for the amount of mafia victories on the .Org as opposed to town victories is game setup itself as opposed to superior strategy. Many of these games have lots of roles, which I believe skews things in the mafia’s favor for the following reasons:

- More ambiguity, and thus room for deceit. It’s easy to infiltrate the town and fake a role PM in a game with a ton of roles, especially secret ones.

- Town exhaustion, especially when there’s multiple mafia factions to be dealt with. The fact that it’s so hard to lynch a mafioso anyway makes a game with multiple “families” that much harder. The best example that comes to mind is the recently completed game, “The Scourge of Ephesus.” Even in Ephesus, when the town was on its game and lynched four villains (Sigurd, CA, Chaotix, and boudica, in that order), an anti-town faction still won.

- Extra firepower. A sudden spike in kills per night can be devastating to the town, especially in the mid- or even endgame. Since the potential for crossfire is low (for the same reason as why it’s so hard to lynch a mafioso) it all adds up to the town in trouble.

Now, this isn’t to say that these games aren’t enjoyable, because they most definitely are. This isn’t to say that they’re unbalanced in favor of the mafia, either, because I know how much time these hosts put into making their games work. As stated in my first paragraph, perhaps the overall theme of their games is simply different than mine.

Personally? I believe that it’s a combination of factors. .Org culture combined with multi-role games combined with hosts looking for something else rather than what I usually strive for. However, the fact remains that the win ratio is not 50-50.

A lot of the veterans in the Gameroom have made names for themselves by being mafiosi: Sigurd, khaan, TinCow, Kagemusha, myself to an extent. The number of people who have achieved reputations as excellent townies is much lower. As a matter of fact, I can only think of two truly great townies: Kommodus, who doesn’t play anymore, and Sasaki Kojiro, who plays intermittently. Likewise, a lot of the excellent mafiosi listed above do not have the same skills as a townie. khaan freely admits that he’s an abysmal townie. TinCow doesn’t go that far but I recall him acknowledging that he’s a better mafioso than he is townie. Personally, I know townie play is and always has been the weakest part of my game.

Ever since the start of the year, I’ve been trying to change that to become a more complete player. I think it’s gotten off to a somewhat decent start, but judging by losses in Ephesus and Chicago Soirée, there’s still a lot of work to be done. I remember reading Sigurd’s commentary for Ephesus, pointing out my “predictability”. That little revelation left me pretty shaken, and I knew that my generally by-the-book, conservative playstyle had to have a makeover, whether it was to be simply more thorough in my examinations of the thread or something more radical.

At some point during the game, The Godfather, Part 3 ceased to be just a standard game for me, but more of an arena in which all of the various townies’ philosophies did battle. To the victor (even if the mafia won, there would still be a victor, for it would be whoever was most on-target) would go my respect, and even possibly my adaptation of that particular style in future games.

At one end of the spectrum, we had those who believed in pure analysis; the true left-brainers of the Gameroom. This town style’s champions were most notably Seamus Fermanagh, who focused, Holmes-like, on discrepancies in behavior as compared to other games, and TinCow, who always looked to write-ups for clues. At the other end was Reenk Roink, who preferred voting by retaliation, and of course, intuition (or, as he preferred to call it, “direct esoteric knowledge that surpasses systems of logic and reasoning, language, and sense perception” ). Other styles and their champions that were present in the game were seireikhaan’s usage of vague PMs to try to flush out mafiosi, Sasaki Kojiro’s doing multiple rereads of both the thread and individual posts to try and make sense of them based off of present knowledge as opposed to the past’s obscurity, and, of course, Askthepizzaguy’s raw, promising, but ultimately flawed analysis program Skynet. I’m going to examine each strategy a little bit in-depth and then rule on their ultimate effectiveness, at least in this game:

seireikhaan’s “flush out” strategy: A simple, time-honored strategy: Probe for a reaction. Heck, it’s what everybody does in the thread a lot; the only difference is that khaan did it in private. It can and possibly has worked in the past – it could freeze an inexperienced player and cause him or her to stumble. However, as I mentioned above, I think a lot of players are beyond that by now, especially as mafiosi. In addition, khaan based his initial PM targets off of incomplete reasoning (he failed to determine the true reason for his kill) and thus his efforts were doomed from the start. All in all, I would not use this as a primary strategy in games, although it does have some effectiveness as an augmentation.

TinCow’s “go to the source” strategy: TC has always looked at subtleties in write-ups and analyzed them (and to a lesser extent, behavior) to determine the current state of affairs for the town. In my past two games, Mafia VIII and Godfather 3, he was always at the forefront of trying to decipher my recurring clues: the letters and songs, respectively. He also did much of the same work for Ephesus and probably other games as well that I can’t recall at the moment. This strategy does have its uses; in games where hosts do that sort of thing it can do an amazing job of painting the overall picture and helping the town get on the right long-term course. However, that’s the catch: in games where hosts do that sort of thing. Sometimes the host could be extremely sadistic and throw in a bunch of red herrings. Sometimes the host could give control of a lot of write-ups to a mafioso. Sometimes what the host puts in there is just so complicated and difficult to make anything out of that ultimately it saps the town’s energy. I do have to give TC credit for being the first to try to make sense out of the songs (and, I think, determine that I was the boombox guy), which ultimately (and somewhat unintentionally) helped the town in the end. However, ultimately, this is another good augmentation strategy, but I think overall there’s too much at risk to solely rely on the write-ups.

Seamus Fermanagh’s deviation analysis: Holmes without Holmes, basically. Seamus looks at behavioral patterns and post count, compares them to other games, and bases conclusions off that. It has traditionally been effective and Seamus gets credit for ID’ing Beefy early on for his high post count (beyond one standard deviation). However, there are a couple problems with this, one of them more about the person than the strategy. Seamus, for whatever reason, just simply isn’t as listened to as are some of the other big players like Sasaki and ATPG. I’m not sure why this is; we all know that he’ll usually hit one mafioso before the end of the game. Maybe he lacks the killer instinct the other players have, the switch that some of the other players turn on and doggedly pursue a certain target until he either answers them to satisfaction or is lynched. Maybe, in an effort to stay purely unbiased and scientific he refuses to make conclusions unless he’s absolutely certain, which in turn holds the rest of the people back from following from his lead. I’m not quite sure. The second problem is that this strategy may not hold water in the future. Again, as .Org mafia players get consistently better and better, the patterns and deviations that Seamus looks for will be less and less.

Askthepizzaguy and Skynet: ATPG’s much-maligned program was intended to be a more-than-suitable replacement for Holmes, analyzing players on a variety of factors. However, it had a ton of kinks and questionable parameters. Reading ATPG’s Skynet post-by-post analyses for certain suspicious players, I raised my eyebrows at some of the “suspicious” criteria, such as overall agreement with his ideas or not, and whether a person’s being defensive or not. ATPG does get credit for his effort and putting pressure on Tevash to reveal (in which a lack of follow-up led to his downfall), but Skynet’s greatest flaws were that it was, I think, subjective, and more importantly without context. Yes, Reenk disagrees with you, but if he always does that, wouldn’t that make him less suspicious? Yes, a player might have a certain, mafia-level amount of posts, but does that person normally have that amount? A person may say something suspicious here, but knowing what we know now, does it make sense given that person’s situation at that time? Add ATPG’s effort into application of context and Skynet could have been a major weapon.

Reenk Roink’s operating on a higher level: Frankly, I’m not sure how to describe this one, so I’ll just go with the time-honored maxim: “Reenk is Reenk.” I remember during the pivotal penultimate round, Reenk changed his vote to White_eyes on the grounds that he “woke up and determined White_eyes was guilty”. I think for purposes of discussion we’ll call this gut instinct. Reenk will laugh at me for trying to scientifically prove that going with your gut is more or less accurate than any of the other methods, and I know I can’t. All I’ll say in this case is that two noted gut advocates, Reenk and AggonyDuck, have been more right than wrong, and that at least one more (Silver Rusher, the creator of this series), for all his wonderful qualities, couldn’t name a mafioso to save his life. So either you have it or you don’t. I suppose that your gut instinct could, over a long period of time, improve with experience, but you wonder if it’s your gut or just something small in a person’s post that alerts you. Anyway, with his instrumental role in getting first White_eyes and then Beefy lynched, Reenk and his style is definitely one of the victors of the overall struggle, so much so that I decided to adapt his strategy in Andres’s “King Wahaha” mini-game and just say “screw it” to all of my previously-held principles. In the second round, I said that I had pretty conclusive evidence that taka was guilty, even though I had no such thing. I refused to explain myself, and while the town lost that game, it turns out that taka *was* guilty. This was simply my application of Reenk’s usual style. I think I’ll continue doing so in future games, although to a moderate extent, since doing so too much would probably fry my brain.

Yes, Reenk’s style is good, especially for the people that “have it”, but in this game one other style trumped his:

Sasaki Kojiro and the search for context: There’s something in the Godfather series that brings out the best in Sasaki. First in GF1 he, as the Mafia Mastermind manipulated everyone, including me as the Godfather, to a Total Mafia Victory. Then in GF2, despite pretty much everyone believing in his mafiosery, he almost singlehandedly turned the tables on the bad guys and directed the town to victory. Now in GF3, despite being rusty, he still correctly identified the entire trio of villains and significantly aided in the town’s comeback. How did he do this? Simple – by following the standard Sasaki method of operation. Make early and mid-game accusations, get said people lynched, analyze the direction the game goes in, and then around the endgame reread the thread and revise your conclusions based on how much sense the living people made back then knowing what we know now. Sasaki’s long post that probably doomed White_eyes and Beefy linked then and Tevash together by looking at their overall patterns and the implications of their actions. In other words, he did what Skynet did not by putting things into context. Sasaki’s town philosophy takes a lot of work, particularly in longer games with a lot of information (like mine), but on the other hand it is precisely these types of games where he is most accurate. Results is definitely proportional to the amount of effort you put in. This is true as host, mafioso, and townie, and Sasaki displays it here with another great game as townie.

So yes, Sasaki’s philosophy was the most effective, at least in this game. Am I going to use it? Possibly, although I’m not going to totally copy his style. Every strategy I’ve listed above, as well as the less obvious ones that I didn’t, has its merits, including my own personal, unrefined style that I’ve tried to work on over the years. An amalgamation may be best, copying Seamus’s numerical devotion with Reenk’s hunches, combined with Sasaki’s application of context.

In the end though, town style is your own personal decision and an extremely important one at that. Perhaps, if people spend enough time improving and perfecting theirs, the .Org Mafia players could resolve the discrepancy in Mafia:Town victories in the best way possible for all sides: the town closing the gap by improving their play. After all, improved play on both sides can only lead to better and more exciting games for all involved.

Game commentary:

Game Start

Godfather: Beefy187
    Selected grunts: TevashSzat and White_eyes:D
    Detective: seireikhaan
    The Secret Weapon (one-time vigilante): 777Ares777

As previously mentioned I think a few times, Silver Rusher’s Godfather series was always my favorite. I particularly enjoyed both games, especially the second one, which was at one point the standard which all other games were measured against until it got lost with time. On a spur-of-the-moment decision about a month before the game started, I decided to try my hand at bringing the series back. I’ll spare you the details of what attracted me to the series in the first place as they have already been discussed at length.

Whenever I had control over the write-ups (the beginning scenes, the end of the mafia kills, the early lynches, etc.) I tried to be as faithful to the original as possible. This was doubly so in the prologue with more than a few references to the Godfather 2 prologue. Of course, nods to my predecessor weren’t enough. Although I pretty much have my own refined set of rules for my Mafia series, Silver played a different game with his set. For the most part I tried to mesh the two, although in some places I deferred to him (especially regarding strict deadlines, whereas I’m usually more relaxed and stagger round start/end times to be fairer to everybody.

Then, of course, there was the matter of the twist. Ares, playing the role of the nude unicyclist (I was originally debating just outright giving this role to Reenk Roink before deciding against it), was not just a standard vigilante, not even a one-time one. In both previous games, the Chief of Police was nearly impossible to remove, being unkillable at night and able to survive the lynches handily enough. I remember in Godfather 2, as mafia, I was always fretting about what to do about Divine Wind, the Chief of Police in that game (who ended up surviving). To make up for this supposed lack of balance, I decided to give Ares’s role the additional power of being able to kill the Chief of Police. Aside from balance issues, I also thought that it was just be really cool to throw the town for a loop when they see the CoP dead at night.

We had 28 players who signed up, the exact amount that the Godfather 2 had, which I considered a good omen. Also encouraging was the fact that I had three replacement players lined up (pevergreen, Ituralde, and Myrddraal, in the order that they expressed interest), the original cast didn’t seem to have very much WoG-bait at all (and, as a matter of fact, I did not have to remove one player for inactivity in this game, which I consider a huge accomplishment), and that Ichigo and Sasaki Kojiro, two longtime Mafia vets and good friends, returned to play.

Once that was all taken care of, I looked to random.org to give me my Godfather. The trusty site spat out Beefy187’s number, a very interesting choice. Beefy had been a longtime player but was (almost?) never a mafioso, and quite often he was lynchbait. Now that the pressure was on, we would all see how Beefy would be on the other side.

Beefy sent me his grunt choices: TevashSzat and White_eyes:D, to my surprise. Again, as a trademark of my conservative tactics in Mafia, I would have picked at least one veteran, if for no other reason than to get an influential voice on my side from the start. However, Beefy proved that he was smarter than me by making two excellent choices, one of whom was at his side for 11 rounds. Once I had his grunt choices, I waited the rest of the 24 hour period and the game began.

Day 1

Filled roles:
    Godfather (Beefy)
    Grunts (Tevash and White_eyes)

Because of the Chief of Police mechanics, not every role was filled from the start. It would be a gamebreaker if the Detective revealed on Day 1and got immunity at night (although one could argue that the town would eventually lynch him whether by a mafioso counter-revealing and sacrificing himself, or by the town simply cracking, but at that point I didn’t have enough faith in the town to take that chance). After I picked the Detective (seireikhaan), a couple of people, khaan included, PM’d me with the idea of planning to get the Detective in the CoP spot, which is when I made the decision to make all future CoP selections random.

Additionally, considering a big part of the nude unicyclist’s power was the ability to kill the Chief of Police, he wasn’t determined until after the election as well in the interests of fun.

Andres and TinCow both immediately lobbied for the role by making two very funny posts (loved the resume! ) promoting their “qualities” but then they immediately jokingly became two politicians going negative on each other, but were pretty much ignored by everybody else. The two real candidates were shlin28, who appealed to the players that didn’t post walls of text and weren’t generally considered veterans, and Reenk Roink, who was drafted largely by an effort of Sasaki and Ichigo because they knew his write-ups would be funny.

Also notable in this round was Sasaki’s traditional screwing with the town by claiming he had found a gamebreaking clue in my writeup and then quickly editing a series of his posts. After a little chat, he said he was glad to be back and wanted to see if anybody would bite. However, nobody really mentioned them, and Sasaki let his little effort be until a brief period in the midgame.

The CoP race was close, but eventually Reenk withdrew from the race by voting for shlin. Once I ended the round, random.org named khaan as my Detective (on the third try; the first two times I did it, the site spat back Tevash and White_eyes! ) and Ares as my nude unicyclist. The Godfather, Part 3 was officially on.

Chief of Police: shlin28

Day 2

Tevash kills Tratorix
    White_eyes kills CountArach
    khaan investigates TinCow
    Song: “Karn Evil 9, First Impression, Part 2” by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
    Song explanation: Mainly chosen because of the opening lyrics: “Welcome back my friends/To the show that never ends/We’re so glad you could attend/Come inside, come inside” which refers to the Godfather series restarting and the entire Mafia cycle to a larger extent. Plus, I read the Wiki article for entire Karn Evil 9 song (which is something like 30 minutes long) and it said that it “tells the story of a world from which all manner of evil […] had been banished”, which I think ties in pretty well with the Gameroom of the series, considering Godfather 2 ended in a town victory. Finally, the song’s title had a few numbers in it, which was a small hint as to Beefy’s (or Beefy187’s) identity.

Much to my dismay, the mafia were considering offing both khaan and Ares in the first round but eventually switched over to CA and Tratorix, who has been having a string of bad luck in my recent games (two first-round deaths in a row now).

Andres stole Ichigo’s thunder by voting Sasaki first, which started a bandwagon against him. Ahh, just like old times. More interestingly though, our resident write-up analyzer TinCow read it and pointed to Beefy as the most likely candidate, despite the fact that his two grunts actually did it. TC’s pursuit of Beefy in the early rounds attracted some followers and this game was almost over before it started.

Another action with long-term implications was Sasaki’s questioning of Lord Winter, most specifically LW’s going after Seamus for being third on the Reenk election bandwagon last round. Sasaki called him out for calling it “incredibly suspicious”, even though LW has been paranoid about election bandwagons ever since I, as Godfather, was the benefactor of one way back in Godfather 1. Obviously Sasaki either wasn’t aware of or forgot about this and continued dogging LW.

In this round, though, it didn’t stick, and Ichigo was the victim of the random First Day of Voting Carousel of Doom.

Executed: Ichigo

Day 3

Tevash kills seireikhaan
    White_eyes kills boudica
    khaan investigates nobody (dead)
    Song: “Perry Mason” by Ozzy Osbourne
    Song explanation: This was the closest thing to a song about a Detective I could find, commemorating khaan’s early exit from the game.

This round was the start of the mafia copying old kill write-ups. Everybody caught, thanks to Gaius Scribonius Curio, the theft of one of his kills from Mafia VIII (boudica’s death), but Tevash killed khaan using the exact kill from Godfather 1, which nobody noticed. BTW, kudos to White_eyes for guessing that khaan was the Detective, even though it was Tevash by way of a random number generator that did him in.

The Perry Mason reference was what started the initial “let’s look at the songs” chorus, but everybody was way off and the subject was dropped until a couple of rounds later. After it died down, Sasaki went after Lord Winter hard, his first real lynch effort of the game. However, it took a while to catch on as the votes still went to Sasaki for no particular reason, as well as the fact that this was the round with rampant abstentions, so much so that I doubled the round length in an effort to get some more actual votes in there.

As it turns out, this was a major blessing for the mafia, as Beefy was in trouble for a lot of this round based off TinCow’s suspicions combined with the dreaded “well, it’s the early game and we don’t have a better target” sentiment. It was here when the backlash against Beefy began, as Reenk and Askthepizzaguy both took up the mantle as his defenders (Reenk’s user title, “defender of Beefy” made me giggle), wanting to let him live for a change. Terrible timing for the town as, of course, Beefy was the über-villain for this game. Beefy now had two allies that wielded a lot of influence over the greater town.

Due to the extended session, voting shifted over to Sasaki and Lord Winter. Secondarily of note is that Curio voted for White_eyes because of gut instinct (well, there’s another point for that kind of playstyle), Askthepizzaguy made his first big case of the game, against Curio, and that the groundwork for Sigurd’s eventual lynch was laid by numerous people pointing out his inactivity. However, Sigurd survived by the skin of his teeth and Lord Winter got the lynch in a move that would have major implications all the way up to the endgame.

Executed: Lord Winter

Day 4

Tevash kills nobody
    White_eyes kills TinCow
    Song: “Woke Up this Morning” by Alabama Three
    Song explanation: Anybody who watched The Sopranos would instantly recognize this song as the title theme if they took the time to listen to it. I had a bit of a mental block this round, so I sprung for the easy gangster connection. Plus, the name of the group that did this song had a number in it.

During the night ATPG and Sasaki had their first ever clash. Before the game started, I sent khaan the following PM as part of a wrap-up of discussing Chicago Soirée:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Although I personally am greatly looking forward to the first ATPG/Sasaki showdown in my game. If that ever materializes... I could be looking at a 2,000-poster.
    Ahh, vindication.

The conversation also came up about who people would pick if they were the Godfather. Nobody came close save Sigurd who named Tevash.

Much like the original winning strategy in Godfather 1, the mafia’s decision to move to one kill early on in the game was born of a mistake: someone not getting their kill in time. In this case, it was Tevash that sent in his kill PM a couple of hours late. If this was my Mafia series, I probably would have waited a couple of hours, contacted White_eyes about the possibility of getting a second one in, and let Tevash’s kill in late. However, this being the Godfather series, I went in on time with one kill. And thus, an entire body of detective work based off a false assumption was born.

A lot of general advice for the mafia/town has been given already in the thread, but I’d like to bring up my own tidbit that I don’t think has been mentioned yet. It was around this point in the game where the mafiosi were endlessly discussing how to do the write-ups and what kind of light people would see Beefy in depending upon what they did. I’ve noticed this phenomenon a lot over the years. Basically, because of their roles and victory conditions, the mafia is quite often overly paranoid when it comes to making decisions. Quite often, they can get caught in the trap of believing that the town is solely focusing on their actions and determining only their guilt or innocence. It’s easy to believe that, as the mafia, the town is unified against you, but you have to remember that the town doesn’t know who the other townies are. They have dozens of other people to analyze as well as you. I think a lot of times mafiosi get caught up in determining how people will take one minor decision when they should be looking at overall strategy. Our trio in this game was guilty of this to an extent, but luckily it didn’t harm them. For this time, White_eyes used “The Kill” against TinCow and thus his reaction fit right in.

Early voting put both Sigurd and YLC in danger. Sigurd for his inactivity (combined with paranoia over his lurker victory in Chicago Soirée), and YLC for his role in the Sasaki/Lord Winter debate. Naturally, YLC refused to cooperate with his accusers in typical YLC fashion, which probably made him appear more innocent overall. Tevash placed a vote on him afterwards and Sasaki, probably confused, went after him some more but I attribute these to Tevash’s being a mafioso and Sasaki’s unfamiliarity with YLC’s style.

During the lynch, I put the following in the writeup:

Nevertheless, the monolith-like presence of the hut did not distract them from voting, which made the guy with the boombox, observing it all, very glad.
    …which was a clue that I was the boombox guy. After all, hosts are always happy when there’s activity.

Sigurd was lynched. 657 posts in, the game was about to take off.

Executed: Sigurd

Day 5

Tevash kills Jolt
    White_eyes kills nobody
    Song: “Escalator of Life” by Robert Hazard
    Song explanation: This one said a few things. First of all, it was another indicator that I was the boombox guy. Robert Hazard, the artist, was a popular Philadelphia musician in the 1980s but wasn’t widely known outside of the area at all. I’ve mentioned several times on this forum that I grew up right outside of Philadelphia, so put two and two together and you have GH providing the songs. Secondly, I specifically directed you to the “climax” of the song, which is Hazard yelling “Nothing ever changes!” referring to the now thrice-used (out of three games in this series) mafia practice of dropping their kills down to one per night early on to hide their numbers. BTW, if you didn’t get any of these clues, don’t worry about it. I wasn’t expecting anyone to make anything out of the songs like I was with the word puzzle in Mafia VIII. It was more to add another dimension to the game.

Before we get to the insane events of the round, it’s worth noting that the mafia decided to stick with one kill, with Tevash going for Jolt while White_eyes stayed idle (the only round in which he didn’t kill, aside from the final one). A lot has been made about whether the decision to switch to one kill so early was the right one or not. Personally, I believe that it was. The town was operating under the assumption that Lord Winter was mafia for such a long time that I think it offset the extra firepower that the bad guys would’ve received. Plus, as mentioned before, so much of the detective work and posts in that thread were made off a false assumption that even people that went back and analyzed would be deterred (well, most people anyway). It was almost like another “Golden Rule”-type game.

Anyway, this round had so much packed into it that it all comes back to me in snapshots:

Snapshot: ATPG and Skynet going after Reenk and Tevash. Instantly the round becomes a debate between the ATPG supporters and detractors. It looks like the detractors have the early advantage due to the weight of TinCow’s, Reenk’s, Andres’s, and Sasaki’s opinions against it.

Snapshot: Tevash giving a long defense of himself. It got pressure off him temporarily, but, I think, the defense itself was Tevash’s scummiest characteristic as I don’t recall Tevash doing that sort of thing in previous games. I know if somebody had used that argument against me I would have howled in frustration, but it’s true.

Snapshot: khaan asking for permission to send Reenk and Seamus vague PMs in order to try to flush them out, and me agreeing because of him being off-target in the first place, and because of the sheer ambiguity of the PMs. khaan starting to provide vague hints as to his identity in the thread, getting everybody frustrated with his posting behavior.

Snapshot: TinCow beginning serious analysis of the songs, which made me jump for joy inside. Analysis devolving into Sasaki making a joke post: “ ‘Fruitless? Focus on the meat? Lynch Beefy!!!!’ ” Me laughing at the irony.

Snapshot: Beefy, in an effort to distance himself from his grunts, voting Tevash. As the votes on Tevash increase, White_eyes is ready to mutiny behind the scenes.

Snapshot: The game spiraling out of control as ATPG gets more desperate to get the town to follow him. Open hostility starting to make itself known.

Snapshot: Tevash, thinking (potentially incorrectly – I can’t confirm as I have no desire to read this round thoroughly) that he was the lynch, revealing as “Detective” without any PMs, real or not, to back up his claim.

Snapshot: Tevash’s fake reveal and ATPG’s suicidal vote change providing Tevash just enough cover to slip by for a round as ATPG goes down in flames.

Executed: Askthepizzaguy

Day 6

Tevash kills nobody
    White_eyes kills Ignoramus
    777Ares777 kills Sasaki Kojiro
    Song: “One Love” by Bob Marley and the Wailers
    Song explanation: Primarily a “whoa now, let’s all take a step back and cool down” after the events of the previous round. However, as usual, there were numbers present. There seemed to be two camps in the game regarding the meaning of the songs: those who thought it was just general commentary, and those who believed there were clues hidden throughout. You were both right.

Ares’s kill came at the right time, game-wise. I think the humor present in the writeup combined with the song served to douse everybody’s tensions at that point. Although I was a bit disappointed that Ares didn’t nail a mafioso and that he opted not to go for shlin, I must admit I relished writing Sasaki’s death. I also enjoyed watching everyone’s reaction in the thread immediately after it happened. Over in their Quicktopic, the mafia were panicking as well, which, combined with their suspicions of Reenk being a Mastermind (similar to the twist in Godfather 1), made for high entertainment. Maybe there is something to creating total chaos, after all.

Tevash went MIA at the night phase, and his absence definitely hurt the mafia. Having played a stellar game so far, he was not present to defend his Detective-ness, which probably would have set the town back a couple of rounds, even had they lynched him, in agonizing over whether they had made the right choice or not.

I think, during the night phase, the mafia committed their first serious error by misreading the town’s feelings. They were banking on the one kill per night implicating ATPG as a grunt, but at that point the town was pretty much used to it and associating it with the assumption that Lord Winter was a mafioso. Tevash’s absence made defending him impractical, but Beefy and White_eyes could possibly have steered the lynch somewhere else with a good alternate explanation.

With most people waiting for Tevash to get on before making a decision, votes for the early part of the round went a few separate ways. Chaotix27, doing what he had been doing all game, gunned for Reenk, while some people, like Andres, followed khaan’s suggestions and voted for Seamus. Curio continued voting for Quintus.JC for a reason that I’m still not sure of. taka, who hadn’t posted much at this point, cast his mind back to YLC’s earlier suspicious behavior and voted for pevergreen, who replaced YLC after he suicided.

White_eyes, in an effort to save his comrade, went after the most popular target (Seamus), but as the day dragged on and Tevash never showed up, it became clear that the mafia were going to be one member down. Eventually Beefy voted for his grunt, and that was the closest thing to pulling the plug as we’ll get in a mafia game.

Executed: TevashSzat

Day 7

White_eyes kills Psychonaut
    Song: “Still Alive” by Jonathan Coulton
    Song explanation: Better known as the credits music for Portal. I meant this one to be as ambiguous as possible to screw with your heads. However, the opening lyrics were pretty clear as to the town’s lynching of Tevash: “This was a triumph/I’m making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.”

Reenk flexed his muscle here by getting Seamus under for no other reason than the fact that he wanted him lynched. He even said exactly why he wanted Seamus gone in the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    I have thought Seamus guilty ever since early in the game when he tried to pass off the write ups as my doing. I don't know what the seireikhaan clues or whatever were and haven't been paying attention.

[new post]

Yes, my suspicions of you are all based on intuition whereas I know many of you prefer an analytical approach, but as you know, Reenk Roink puts little value in rationality and analysis.
    Afterwards, both publically and to me privately, Seamus talked in amazement about how Reenk was able to do what he does and get away with it.

Additionally under fire this round was Chief of Police shlin28, who came under suspicion primarily because… he wasn’t under suspicion. Such is the way of Mafia. I admit that my constant ambiguous references to him in the write-ups weren’t helping his cause (such as the infamous “only I’m allowed to [kill you]”) but I always made sure to carefully word it so that close examination would show that he was innocent. For example, the above sentence: “only he’s allowed” to kill people. Well, of course, the mafia aren’t allowed to kill people; that’s the reason why there’s a daily lynching. If mafia were allowed to kill people then it wouldn’t be much of a game. In addition, shlin was always doing something else at the time of the killings.

The efforts against the lurkers also heated up this round as glyphz and taka got in some trouble. In addition, Seamus pointed out (again) his suspicions of Beefy due to an unusually high post count. For all the hits that this kind of reasoning took over the course of the game (and all the points that Sasaki and especially Reenk scored with their playstyles), Seamus was dead on in this one. However, the two main targets were Seamus and shlin, who wasn’t helped by TinCow’s radar focused on him.

However, in the end, shlin held onto his position by the skin of his teeth and it was Seamus that ended up going down on his birthday. BTW, the Vincenzo reference that happened in the lynch was a result of a conversation between myself and shlin:

Quote Originally Posted by shlin28
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Quote Originally Posted by shlin28
    For the next simple lynch you shall need:

1. A Declaration of War against Sicily/wherever these mafia people come from.
    2. A large canon.
    3. A lynchee.

Step-by-step

1. Declare war on Sicily/wherever those mafia people come from.
    2. Make a speech to the townspeople concerning how glorious the war will be, and mention that we must launch the first strike first.
    3. Strap the suspect into the said canon.
    4. Light the firing cord on the canon + aim it at whever we are firing at.
    5. ???
    6. PROFIT! (If the lynchee is mafia - we just insulted all mafia people, if the lynchee is not mafia - we scared the hell out of those mafioso in Sicily/wherever anyway)

Is this doable?
    I could modify it to make the guy being launched straight into Vincenzo's (see the very first post) office, would that be acceptable?
    I DEMAND A TOTAL WAR AGAINST MAFIA!!!

That will be fine actually
    Executed: Seamus Fermanagh

Day 8

White_eyes kills LittleGrizzly
    Song: “All My Life” by the Foo Fighters
    Song explanation: Dual purpose. First, plenty of number references, even in the “repeat 3x” notations in the lyrics. Secondly, I was attempting to inform the town that they seemed to be adhering to a “let’s lynch the next one in line!” philosophy, which I have spoke out against plenty of times in the past.

For all the talk about the WIFOM present in the kill write-ups, especially WE’s Youtube videos, there was a major clue in them that nobody noticed: the videos themselves. Reading over his out-of-thread posts, I noticed that White_eyes quite often linked to Youtube videos when making a point. If people had made that connection, WE would have been toast and Beefy would have had to survive for four rounds on his own. People studying the trees and missing the forest again.

It was around here where things started to slow down a bit. The tumult of Day 5 had long passed and the town was pretty much just swinging blindly at this point, continuing to collect data and whittle down their targets for when the endgame came around. Because of town exhaustion, shlin was in trouble for the entire day, and ATPG’s building a case against him during the night didn’t help him any.

However, it wasn’t a sure thing. Reenk, continuing his vendetta against those who disagreed with him, disregarded his longtime target Chaotix for a new threat, Andres, in a move that would have endgame implications. In addition, Curio also probably clinched himself being a lynch target by remaining neutral in spite of a very factional round (for or against shlin?).

shlin went down in an execution sequence that was a combination of all of his others that he used, minus ATPG’s requested one. Overall, shlin did a very good job in his duties as Chief of Police, maintaining a presence throughout and giving me very good material to work with in the parts of the write-ups that I controlled. I personally thought that it was a very cool one and that shlin’s creativity wouldn’t be topped… until random.org gave me his replacement.

Executed: shlin28
    New Chief of Police: Reenk Roink

Day 9

White_eyes kills Chaotix27
    Song: “Atom Heart Mother (suite)” by Pink Floyd
    Song explanation: If properly analyzed, this one would have given the town the game. The song had no lyrics, which was supposed to confuse you and get you looking in other areas. One of these places would eventually be the cover of the album “Atom Heart Mother”, which upon inspection was a clear reference to Beefy. This was the closest clue I dared give. I think, if TinCow had not mistakenly provided the lyrics for “Astronomy Domine”, discussion might have eventually turned that way and Beefy would have been in trouble.

The Atom Heart Mother album cover. Got lead?

Continuing with the pre-endgame lull that a lot of my games seem to experience, the activity was a bit down this round. Once again, the town, lacking anything better to do, went with the “next in line” strategy which I’ve been pushing against for a while now. The abstain count was also starting to creep up again.

Beefy and White_eyes, despite a couple of hiccups, were playing an amazing game, and I was fairly confident that they’d be able to pull a victory off despite the odds. If anything, I was sure that White_eyes was going to survive, and if the mafia did manage to lose Beefy would go down before WE. Despite a healthy post count, White_eyes was so much his normal self that nobody really paid much attention to him.

With the pressure on the lurkers, glyphz and Curio, and to a lesser extent taka, tried to contribute in order to save themselves. taka was slowly getting more comfortable as the number of players dwindled to small game-level, the type of game that he prefers the most. ATPG chipped in with Ares, the now-powerless nude unicyclist, as his newest suspect but by that point he had exhausted his favor with the town and was pretty much ignored.

In the end, glyphz’s head popped out of the Whack-a-Lurker machine that the town was in this round and was summarily executed, by Reenk Roink, in true Wanax fashion.

Executed: glyphz

Day 10

White_eyes kills pevergreen
    Song: “We Have All the Time in the World” by Louis Armstrong
    Song explanation: I chose this one for irony value. Despite the title and lyrics, this song is actually closely associated with fast-approaching death. First of all, it was the last song Satchmo recorded before passing away. Secondly, as 007 fans are aware, this was the theme for Bond and his eventual wife, Tracy. Immediately after their wedding, Tracy is shot and killed. This was a warning for the town to get into gear before the mafia overwhelmed them.

The endgame officially began this round as the number alive dropped into the single digits. The sadist in me quite enjoyed writing the part about Reenk being able to vote after so many people expressed relief in the fact that he was previously not allowed to.

The pressure on Ares continued, although with the start of the endgame it finally – finally! – branched off into a few directions. In addition, activity on the song analysis front started up again. ATPG in this post made a very legitimate attempt at guessing who the Godfather was based on the clues in the songs, particularly the number references that were present in the earlier ones. However, he came to the conclusion that they pointed to Ares… so close, yet so far. That post almost made me cringe.

Also around this time, to add to the strange coincidences, Beefy unveiled his new sig, the one with the evil-looking cow and the description: “Mafia – it’s who you least expect to be guilty.” I found this doubly ironic for both the caption but also the cow, especially considering the clue I had just inserted in the round before.

With so few people left, pretty much everyone fell under suspicion, including those who had previously gotten a free ride such as Andres and Curio. As a matter of fact, the only people that really skated by were Beefy and White_eyes. Beefy because by that point people seemed ready to let him have the victory if he was Godfather, but White_eyes because he was just doing that good of a job. It was at this point where the game seemed to turn into the playstyle battle royale that I mentioned in my essay, especially with Reenk’s defense of his intuition style against Andres’s assault.

After the dust cleared, there was a three-way tie between Andres, Curio, and the mafia’s preferred target: taka. Andres, in a move that would probably secure the town’s belief of his innocence, was online at the time I initiated the sudden death but did nothing, instead leaving it up to his fellow townies to work things out. White_eyes, in a good position no matter who was lynched, switched his vote from taka to Curio to end things. Had he been a little forward-thinking, he might have seen Andres’s refusal to move as a long-term threat and worked to remove it, but that of course is unfair on him as I am most definitely using hindsight. Besides, if he did so more suspicion might have come upon him, so it might not have made a difference. But in the endgame, every move has implications. That’s what makes it so hard for the mafia.

Anyway, the point is that Curio got lynched and the mafia were one round away from victory. It would be now or never for the so-called “curse of GH”.

Executed: Gaius Scribonius Curio

Day 11

White_eyes kills 777Ares777
    Song: “Tonight, Tonight” by the Smashing Pumpkins
    Song explanation: Properly conveyed the sense of desperation I was looking for. “Believe in the resolute urgency of now” and all that. I didn’t even realize that there was an implication of the game being over “tonight” if the town got the lynch wrong until it was brought up in the thread.

First of all, just to confirm, the juggle ball reference in the kill writeup was placed in there by me, indicating that Ares was the dearly departed nude unicyclist.

The desperation began early on as Seamus posted the percentages that were clearly in the mafia’s favor. However, so did the work that would turn the tide in the town’s favor. Following Beefy’s signature’s advice, Quintus.JC in a very intelligent move decided that he’d be going for Beefy or White_eyes because everyone else looked like lynchbait. Reenk too called White_eyes out for not killing Andres or his allies, although it would be a while before he actually voted WE. I don’t know. (Note to self: keep repeating “Reenk is Reenk” when trying to make sense of the previous bit.) Andres too joined in by moving away from his longtime nemesis Reenk by prodding White_eyes to talk a bit more.

White_eyes, faced with a sudden burst of pressure after pretty much cruising for ten rounds, stuck to his guns and continued to vote for taka, playing the paranoia card.

However, it was Sasaki’s long post, examining the connections between Beefy, White_eyes, and Tevash that ultimately ruined the round for the mafia. His post #1635 in the thread has already been discussed at length and I don’t need to rehash it here as this commentary is already way too long. In short, we’ll say it was the stuff of greatness and leave it at that.

It was around this round that it came to light that Beefy had been contacting people in private over the course of the game hoping to work with them, most notably taka. This was an excellent move that had been used by people in the past to great effect, and probably was what saved Beefy from The Wanax this round because enough people refused to vote for him out of principle.

Instead, the victim was White_eyes, lynched largely because of Sasaki’s case and Reenk’s frenetic vote changes, eventually landing on the remaining grunt because of – what else? – intuition.

Executed: White_eyes:D

Day 12

Beefy kills Quintus.JC
    Song: “The Final Countdown” by Europe (London Symphony Orchestra rendition)
    Song explanation: Duh.

Beefy already posted his original kill in the thread, which was quite accurate. It was so bare that I had to break my own rule and do work on it to make it presentable in the thread. This isn’t a knock against Beefy, of course, as he was expecting an absent White_eyes to write it for him.

Considering the kill choice, Beefy went the direct route and removed his opposition outright, hoping that his bonds with taka and Reenk would hold for 48 more hours. I can’t really fault him for this as this was pretty much his only choice. Andres had consistently been facing suspicion for the past several days, and the main endgame lesson learned from Mafia VIII, as I’m sure Curio can attest to, is to surround yourself with suspects and not semi-lurkers and one major alternative suspect (in this case, Reenk).

This was the strangest endgame I ever witnessed. The usual last-minute detective work was done in the previous do-or-die round. In its placed was a higher discussion of playstyle and personal priorities. Everybody but taka knew Beefy’s identity at this point, but the question was whether they would all decide to play by the rules and lynch the Godfather, or complete their own objectives and either stay true to their philosophies or give the game to Beefy as a gesture of congratulations.

A dead vote was looming in the case of the tie, something which I believe had been done only twice before: Mafia I and Godfather 2. In this case, the sentiment among the dead was definitely that Beefy was the Godfather, which meant that the 24-hour extension was only a formality and that a tie vote meant a loss for the mafia.

Beefy, naturally, acted in self-preservation, trying to secure a win after an outstanding effort. Since Andres, his preferred lynch target at the start of the round, looked like he was going to make it through, he voted for the next likeliest person: Reenk.

taka, who seemed to be the odd man out of the equation, ignored peer pressure and stuck to his guns. Considering Reenk’s behavior to be scummy and unacceptable, he placed his vote on Reenk early and refused to budge.

Andres, the one remaining logistician, believed in the Beefy/White_eyes team for a while now and voted accordingly. After some deliberation, he switched his vote to no lynch, ready to give Beefy the game. However, he changed his mind and eventually ended up voting Beefy.

Reenk had determined that Beefy was the Godfather only recently, but upheld his principles and voted for taka out of retaliation. He changed his mind several times, debating on whether to give Beefy the game or not. Eventually, though, he ruled in favor of the rest of the town, deciding not to be a spoiler and voted Beefy.

24 hours later, the dead had decided, and despite a final effort by White_eyes, Beefy was the lynch for Day 12.

Executed: Beefy187

Game end

Wow. That’s all I have to say. At the start of this, I didn’t think Godfather 2 could be topped, as that game is first and foremost in my mind among the great ones. I think we managed to pull off the impossible, though.

Praise goes all around on this one. First, naturally, to the mafiosi: TevashSzat, White_eyes, and Beefy187 for an incredible effort. Twelve rounds of pure art, gentlemen. To realize the scope of what they had to do to win this one, Capo II had 15 rounds, but with nearly three times the players. The fact that you weren’t able to take it at the end in no way diminishes the amazing performance that we witnessed here.

Second, to the power roles: seireikhaan for maintaining a presence after death, 777Ares777 for staying alive long enough to give the game another turn, and our two Chiefs of Police shlin28 and Reenk Roink for their wonderful lynch methods.

Third, to the moderators, Andres and Sigurd, for having to deal with all the extra workload that my game created. As this was the first time I hosted after receiving my promotion as AM, I have a new respect for what you do.

Fourth, to the townies for their tireless effort and dedication to the game, making it the great experience that it was. Any game in which the town’s efforts were so notable that they prompt the host to write a 3,000 word essay on town styles is definitely a successful one. Hopefully this is the start of a greater trend.

Fifth, just one more time to all of the players and those who expressed interest in doing so. You guys have no idea how much making this a successful game meant to me, and at the risk of sounding sentimental, you succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. This is just a personal thank you to all of you for doing so.

And that officially wraps up The Godfather, Part 3, folks. I’m not sure if I’m going to continue it or not, because, frankly, I don’t know how this one can be topped. If I do, it will be very far down the road. But for now, I will always look at this game with fond memories. I look forward to sharing similar experiences with you well into the future.

~ General Hankerchief