Thread: Trouble with Pahlava Reform

Default Trouble with Pahlava Reform

So I'm playing Pahlava for the first time and having a blast. If I'd known earlier how much fun they were I'd have played them long ago, but was always intimated by the starting situation. I'm having a problem however. I can't build above a trader/trading post (lowest level market) in Apameia (I just don't have the option), so I can't progress to my reformed government. Anyone have this happen before? Also, settled aristocracy is not showing up in Hektamopylos (sp?). I followed the proscribed build pattern found here on the forums, and got as far as advanced settlement:

1.Military occupation.
    2.Migration
    3.Pastoralism
    4.Large Nomad Market
    5.Settled Community
    6.Elite Herds -> Warlords Horse Herds
    7.Reformed Pastoralism
    8.Advanced Settlement
    9.Settled Aristocracy
    10.Reformed Parthian Government.

Anyone run into this before? Thanks folks.

TM

EDIT: Both settlements are large towns.
    Last edited by TunaMaker; 02-02-2009 at 21:35.

Default Re: Trouble with Pahlava Reform

Are they large town or greater? As with all factions, if you haven't upgraded the town to large town+ then you can't make greater than the first level of most buildings.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Yes, both are large towns.

Then I don't know why you can't manage it with them. Perhaps you could post some screenies showing this along with the buildings that are currently in each, maybe that could help enlighten things.
    Balloons:

I'm playing a Pahlava campaign for the first time too and its great. Anyway, I think the problem you're having is because a settlement must be city sized to build a large nomad market.

The building guide here: https://www.europabarbarorum.com/web...hlava_v0.6.pdf says it must be a large town, and so this confused me too. But when I looked closer, the guide is screwed up. The smallest settlement size on the guide is village, and town is the next higher up. However, in the game, there are no villages; towns are the smallest settlement size. So you have to make everything in the guide on settlement size bigger (notice that there is no huge city on the guide, but I've built a few so far in my campaign). Thus, you need a city to get all the buildings for the Parthian reforms.

Nope large town does it (2000+ people). You never see villiages b/c you can't destroy the core building and the EB team (and I'm pretty sure vanilla as well) never included any, considering as you can't reduce the pop to sub-400 and all.
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 02-02-2009 at 23:11.
    Balloons:

Yeah, I stand corrected. I just loaded one of my games from early in the campaign (when I still had some large towns within the Parthian Reform area), and you should be able to build the reform government in large towns. In that case, I don't know what the problem can possibly be.

On the question of the large nomad market, you don't need one if the city already has the Greek equivlent (agora, I believe), in order to build the reofrm government. But I don't know why, however, you can't build the reform government in Hektamopylos. Perhaps you got the building order a little off?