Thread: Musket Volleys

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Musket Volleys

I've been noticing in gameplay videos like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klqnxGujnD0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLr...eature=related

that musket armed infantry units seem to be firing at all seperate times, and not in unision like they typically would in 18th century warfare. They just reload and fire at will. I am wondering if in the full game there will be a "volley fire" button that will make your units all fire at the same time. Sorry if this has been covered, but it's just something that's been nagging me.

Default Re: Musket Volleys

Most likely thats from an earlier build, they probably have it fixed by now.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

could also be required to be researched
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

without watching the vids i could take a few guesses. (im at work)

1. there low lv musketmen, ie like militia musketmen or peasant muskets. ie untrained and not very coordinated. i would assume there would be some form of militia musket men

2. it possibly has to be researched (as stated above)

3. there is an option to turn it on off, while volley fire is effective once the battle breaks down, ur losing men from your line etc the discipline might break down or u might even choose to stop it and just shoot at will.

4. without having watched the vids i cant say for certain but was it staggered fire? with the time it takes to reload quite often units would stagger their fire in lines. first line shoots then second then third then by the time the 3rd or 4th shoots the first has reloaded keeping up a constant barrage.

my money is on 1 or 3. i would say there is either an option ie one option is volley fire the other is fire at will. or its just a discipline/skill thing.

Cheers knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I made a topic a while ago suggesting that fire discipline should be based on experience, with low level infantry firing rather ragged and uncoordinated volleys, getting more disciplined until fire-by-rank could be utilized by gold-chevron'd infantry.
    It would definitely give incentive for players to maintain infantry for long periods, rather than scrapping/recycling them at the end of every war.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I don't think its 1 because the British troops who are doing it seem to be Grenadiers, not exactly what I'd call low level militia men. From what I can see, the American sdoing it seem to be regulars.

I think you having to research it could be the answer, but I always thought that learning to fire in a volley was a basic thing that every 18th century musketeer learned how to do.

I'm gona guess that the option to turn it on/off is the most likely.

I guess I'll never know till the demo arrives, though.

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Quote Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
    without watching the vids i could take a few guesses. (im at work)

1. there low lv musketmen, ie like militia musketmen or peasant muskets. ie untrained and not very coordinated. i would assume there would be some form of militia musket men

2. it possibly has to be researched (as stated above)

3. there is an option to turn it on off, while volley fire is effective once the battle breaks down, ur losing men from your line etc the discipline might break down or u might even choose to stop it and just shoot at will.

4. without having watched the vids i cant say for certain but was it staggered fire? with the time it takes to reload quite often units would stagger their fire in lines. first line shoots then second then third then by the time the 3rd or 4th shoots the first has reloaded keeping up a constant barrage.

my money is on 1 or 3. i would say there is either an option ie one option is volley fire the other is fire at will. or its just a discipline/skill thing.

Cheers knoddy

I agree with knoddy. But it could be that they have already shot their first corrodinatd volley and are firing-at-will.

I believe (and most likely I am wrong) most armies at the time did only fire one or two volleys and by then would be within bayonette charge range. Unless the particular docrine for an army was to stand and fire it out, much like the French and British. Or one of the forces had either, cover, or was dug-in.

However my understanding of land tactics, battles and military doctrine in the game timeframe is severely lacking.
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

I think I remember seeing a button on medieval 2 and probably the games before it for archers that you could disable the fire-at-will while in battle. So I am sure it shouldn't be a big deal.