Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musket Volleys

Default Musket Volleys

I've been noticing in gameplay videos like these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klqnxGujnD0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLr...eature=related

that musket armed infantry units seem to be firing at all seperate times, and not in unision like they typically would in 18th century warfare. They just reload and fire at will. I am wondering if in the full game there will be a "volley fire" button that will make your units all fire at the same time. Sorry if this has been covered, but it's just something that's been nagging me.

Default Re: Musket Volleys

Most likely thats from an earlier build, they probably have it fixed by now.

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

could also be required to be researched
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

without watching the vids i could take a few guesses. (im at work)

1. there low lv musketmen, ie like militia musketmen or peasant muskets. ie untrained and not very coordinated. i would assume there would be some form of militia musket men

2. it possibly has to be researched (as stated above)

3. there is an option to turn it on off, while volley fire is effective once the battle breaks down, ur losing men from your line etc the discipline might break down or u might even choose to stop it and just shoot at will.

4. without having watched the vids i cant say for certain but was it staggered fire? with the time it takes to reload quite often units would stagger their fire in lines. first line shoots then second then third then by the time the 3rd or 4th shoots the first has reloaded keeping up a constant barrage.

my money is on 1 or 3. i would say there is either an option ie one option is volley fire the other is fire at will. or its just a discipline/skill thing.

Cheers knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

I made a topic a while ago suggesting that fire discipline should be based on experience, with low level infantry firing rather ragged and uncoordinated volleys, getting more disciplined until fire-by-rank could be utilized by gold-chevron'd infantry.
    It would definitely give incentive for players to maintain infantry for long periods, rather than scrapping/recycling them at the end of every war.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

I don't think its 1 because the British troops who are doing it seem to be Grenadiers, not exactly what I'd call low level militia men. From what I can see, the American sdoing it seem to be regulars.

I think you having to research it could be the answer, but I always thought that learning to fire in a volley was a basic thing that every 18th century musketeer learned how to do.

I'm gona guess that the option to turn it on/off is the most likely.

I guess I'll never know till the demo arrives, though.

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

Quote Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
    without watching the vids i could take a few guesses. (im at work)

1. there low lv musketmen, ie like militia musketmen or peasant muskets. ie untrained and not very coordinated. i would assume there would be some form of militia musket men

2. it possibly has to be researched (as stated above)

3. there is an option to turn it on off, while volley fire is effective once the battle breaks down, ur losing men from your line etc the discipline might break down or u might even choose to stop it and just shoot at will.

4. without having watched the vids i cant say for certain but was it staggered fire? with the time it takes to reload quite often units would stagger their fire in lines. first line shoots then second then third then by the time the 3rd or 4th shoots the first has reloaded keeping up a constant barrage.

my money is on 1 or 3. i would say there is either an option ie one option is volley fire the other is fire at will. or its just a discipline/skill thing.

Cheers knoddy

I agree with knoddy. But it could be that they have already shot their first corrodinatd volley and are firing-at-will.

I believe (and most likely I am wrong) most armies at the time did only fire one or two volleys and by then would be within bayonette charge range. Unless the particular docrine for an army was to stand and fire it out, much like the French and British. Or one of the forces had either, cover, or was dug-in.

However my understanding of land tactics, battles and military doctrine in the game timeframe is severely lacking.
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

I think I remember seeing a button on medieval 2 and probably the games before it for archers that you could disable the fire-at-will while in battle. So I am sure it shouldn't be a big deal.

mmm different fire at will tho. i agree it will probs be something u turn on and off. But the fire at will in all other total war games was just to make ur archers shoot as soon as the enemy was in range. Where as fire at will in Empire would more likely be fire when u can rather than firing in a volley :)
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

They are said there's going to be options to simply let them fire at will, to tell them to hold their fire until you say to shoot.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

you know what would be nice? If archers(or, in this case, gunmen) would load their guns BEFORE the enemy came into range. That way, you easily get off an extra volley or two.

Fargo (Yeah, yeah, but IRL we dont talk like that here)

I imagine that we will finally have preloaded weapons in Empire. Muskets and rifles anyway. Cannon and mortars were not loaded ahead of time IIRC.
    Genius by birth, slacker by choice.
    <=== Member since 2000

I have all the morality of a drunk eight-year-old and the self-awareness of a cold bag of ham, but in my occasional windows of clarity, even I'm cognizant of the fact that I am the last person on the planet who should have access to unstoppable mental powers. -Dan O' Brian @ Cracked.com

Ja Mata, Tosa Inu

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Nice thread therifleman, welcome aboard!

Just a tiny bit off topic here but didn’t anyone else notice that the Americans had a pronounced English Accent?

The fact that neither one of them used that accent at the time might also be mentioned.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I think its probably based of experience of the actual unit itself. Since they all have their own experience levels now. Even though a Grenadier it could be a newly recruited one. Even though Historically most Grenadiers were Regulars first and were just good at what they did. Also were just strong enough to toss a large chunk of cast Iron with explosives too. just my 2 cents
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Nice thread therifleman, welcome aboard!

Just a tiny bit off topic here but didn’t anyone else notice that the Americans had a pronounced English Accent?

The fact that neither one of them used that accent at the time might also be mentioned.

Well, since we have no idea what either nation sounded like at the time, it is probabaly best to go with well known one, still I would be interested to know if you had any suggestions?

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post

Well, since we have no idea what either nation sounded like at the time, it is probabaly best to go with well known one, still I would be interested to know if you had any suggestions?
    We do have an idea what they sounded like. An upper class accent from Charleston, SC or Savanna, GA are good examples of the educated, working class Dublin for others, (non French) Canadian may be more toward a universal English sound nearer to then, but not the best idea for the game.

But different from one another might be desirable…at least for the game.

Of course this may be an early on press demo so it could have changed…I hope!

To those born west of the pond, it is a bit like having General Wellington have the same speech patterns as Crocodile Dundee would be to you.

Mark Twain

Volleyfire was being used much earlier then the 18th century. However both before and during the
    18th century this required training, discipline, good commanding officers, high morale and some battlefieldexperience.

Waiting to shoot until the correct moment when facing an enemy that is eager to kill you and especially one that is charging against you (you might only get one chance to shoot) at full speed requires all of the above.

Again I use the Swedes to make an example. In the early 18th century thay had the training and discipline and were well led. Battlefield experience also accumulated.

While Swedens enemies usually rained more or less effective fire upon the Swedes as soon as they saw them the Swedes held their fire until they saw "the white of the enemies eyes" (probably an overstatement but that was the instruction). One massed volley was fired and then full charge. The carnage caused by the volley and the wall of men seemingly not bothered by the loss of comrades during the initial advance coming at you at full speed was enough to make most enemeis turn tail and run.

Even at the battle of Poltava this tactic almost prevailed but only almost...

Kalle
    Playing computer strategy games of course, history, got a masters degree, outdoor living and nature, reading, movies wining and dining and much much more.

Back on topic:

The units we see firing in the links provided are mostly American Colonists. They would not have been well trained and again it my be “fire at will”.

I don’t know that we can draw any deep conclusions until we are allowed to command a battle our selves.

In a demo perhaps…

Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

In a demo perhaps…
    Et tu Fisherking? Don't let Polemists take you down that dark path, it can only lead to ruin and destruction.
    Last edited by Sir Beane; 02-04-2009 at 12:17.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    Et tu Fisherking? Don't let Polemists take you down that dark path, it can only lead to ruin and destruction.
    I was a bit worried my self! Have we been trained from constant repetition?

The trouble was it made sense in this context…

I am a bit more concerned at the moment of having General Washington sound like Prince Charles, or Thomas Jefferson sound like Lord Wiffelsnout.

I wasn’t kidding about it being upsetting!

How would you like it if George II sounded Pakistani or Wellington did sound like Crocodile Dundee!

Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I was a bit worried my self! Have we been trained from constant repetition?

The trouble was it made sense in this context…

I am a bit more concerned at the moment of having General Washington sound like Prince Charles, or Thomas Jefferson sound like Lord Wiffelsnout.

I wasn’t kidding about it being upsetting!

How would you like it if George II sounded Pakistani or Wellington did sound like Crocodile Dundee!
    If accents are a little off it can be off putting and annoying. If accents are off enough to have a pakistani George II then we are suddenly sailing through the seas of hilarity.

An Aussie Wellington complete with Australian slang and one of those cork hats would make for an incredibly funny moment in gaming history. Only if it was done intentionally and played for laughs however.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't make me speak in slang again. Struth.

I've read that you have to research volley fire, as well as the fire at will toggle being off (presumably)
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Don't make me speak in slang again. Struth.

I've read that you have to research volley fire, as well as the fire at will toggle being off (presumably)
    uh'hum is it so? I know Platoon Fire is...

Platoon Fire is a bit different than volleys. In Platoon Fire you should theoretically be able to keep up an all most constant firing into the enemy until your ammunition is gone. Volley fire would be one or two ranks firing all at the same time and then the unit reloads.

One (volleys) is good for destroying morale and killing lots of the enemy at once, if they are close. The other (Platoon Fire) drives the morale down and increases the stress on the unit targeted. Its also go to cover movements of a second unit.

Driving up stress may be very important in the current morale system…

Mark Twain

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, I thought they were much the same, line fires, then reloads, constant firing if you have enough lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Did armies not let off a few volleys and then it broke down to firing at will when the distances between forces got shorter?

Plus at the time of the mod the colonists probably did sound much more like the english than americans.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

Quote Originally Posted by KozaK13 View Post
    Did armies not let off a few volleys and then it broke down to firing at will when the distances between forces got shorter?

Plus at the time of the mod the colonists probably did sound much more like the english than americans.
    Firing would get more ragged as troops took to fire at will…but it isn’t necessarily so.

And no, it would have been the other way round, The English sounded more like Americans than they do today…

Mark Twain

And no, it would have been the other way round, The English sounded more like Americans than they do today…
    How so?

- Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."

No place like home.

How so?
    To make it a story; some time ( I think in the 1820s but it may have been later) the English upper class began to speak in what they thought was a more elegant fashion. They modified the vowel sounds and lengthened them and began to clip some words. This in turn trickled down into the lower levels of society. (the first time in history that it went form the top down) The shift in pronunciation resulted in what we today think of as the British Accent.

Americans and to a lesser extent Canadians did not go through this shift, retaining the older form of the language. Spelling was also not firmly fixed resulting in different ways of spelling the same words.
    So as much as the British love to make fun of their cousins across the sea, they speak a much more recent variety of the language.

If you want further information one book is , I believe, “The Story of English”. There are many others, and like this one written primarily by British Authors.

I hope I have answered the question.

Mark Twain

Wow i didn't know that, thanks for the info, you have opened my eyes to something i never considered, but what about the current american accent (generic one that is) is it close to what would be the old english one?

- Voltaire

No place like home.

Wow i didn't know that, thanks for the info, you have opened my eyes to something i never considered, but what about the current american accent (generic one that is) is it close to what would be the old english one?
    The most Archaic accents are those from the rural southern US. (other than the real Dublin Accent that is, ) Many of the word pronunciations , word use, and phraseology my be Elizabethan. So the back woods frontier accents are the oldest. The Dublin Accent is thought to be the oldest form still spoken, but it may have more word meanings and phrases at its root than the pronunciation.
    The Generic American Accent goes back to the brake with England and you can see the similarities with Canadian English. Also Americans had fixed their spelling of words prior to the Revelation.

Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast