Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 1,141 to 1,149 of 1149

Thread: Surprisingly Good and Bad Units 1.2 Edition

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default Re: Surprisingly Good and Bad Units 1.2 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by seleucid empire View Post
    Jewish infantry
    Possibly the most beloved and praised unit in EB.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

In the Saka steppe, leading his Yeuzhi Nobles into your ancestral homeland....and eating

Oh yes. Those mofo's can kill a clean 20 noble cataphracts in a prolonged melee, have a nearly infinite number of javelins & ridiculously high morale. Heck, thay can take a Cat charge from both side at once!

Unlike these guys who think they're each individually Michael Jordan:

C'mon, don't these guys realize the Jordan thing only works if they all do it at once!
    I am a Nomad steppe Kha-khan and have been since my first Parthia campaign in vanilla some years ago.
    from Brennus being the first entrant into the Nomad Screenshot contest.

Check out my Playtest of giving hoplite units the phalanx attribute!
    Saka Late Cataphract "Bodyguard Cavalry" Fix (Thanks to Brave Brave Sir Robin)

oh yeah also ligurian infantry

They are pretty solid considering their stats dont look too high. I created an army of these in my AS campaign to protect the western border of italy. They held against fullstacks of professional and elite troops of the Brown death and Aedui

I will throw in some here. These units represent what I've come to rely on in tight spots and continually surprise me by their durability and cost efficiency. Some I recruit for their forest and ambushing abilities. I avoid levies if I can because I want versatile units that can throw javelins or pull out an AP sidearm. Being half the upkeep of some elites, they make up what they lack in discipline or morale with numbers and well rounded stats. It costs too much to maintain an army of units with more than 400 upkeep each. Spearmen are the natural, unrewarded underdogs of ancient warfare. Anyone can make a spear, swords take much more resources, time and skill to make. Bad thing about sword units is that they can't counter heavy cavalry charges. Spearmen can. Cavalry... well you need horses, and dudes who can ride them. Archers... uh, you need dudes who can shoot bows well and they can't do much else. Also spearmen, both pike and non-pike can fill many roles. But spearmen will always be the backbone, if fighting Greeks I always bring along some pikemen but for most uses the short sticks will do.

Good cheap units <300 upkeep
    Thracian Light Spearmen
    Iberian Light Spearmen
    Dacian Light Phalanx
    Alpine Phalanx

Good cheap units >300 but <400 upkeep
    Celto-Hellenic Infantry
    Noricum Spearmen
    Belgae Spearmen
    Hellenic Native Phalanx
    Machimoi Native Phalanx
    Babylonian Heavy Spearmen - I love their maces and old school-ness
    Swords don't kill people, people with swords kill people.

just remembered some more:

Good:
    Armenian spearmen
    Belgian spearmen
    Boii swordsmen
    Indian spearmen (held off a Saka cat charge, didn't suffer half as bad as i thought it would)
    Parthian Hellenic infantry (im surprised no one has mentioned these. They kill twice as fast as Princeps but have much lower morale. They are fast, flexible and deadly despite their lower stats. I only wish they would have higher morale, then i would start a parthian campaign just to make an army of these and sail them to Italy to see how they do against the legions)

Bad:
    Thessalian cavalry, Greek noble cavalry and their roman equivalent (not completely bad but let downs)

Parthian Hellenic infantry (im surprised no one has mentioned these. They kill twice as fast as Princeps but have much lower morale. They are fast, flexible and deadly despite their lower stats. I only wish they would have higher morale, then i would start a parthian campaign just to make an army of these and sail them to Italy to see how they do against the legions)

Bad:
    Thessalian cavalry, Greek noble cavalry and their roman equivalent (not completely bad but let downs)
    Orly? for me it always was the other way around. Maybe it's also because of differing expections, Parthohellens afterall are what Parthia gets as factional "heavy" infantry so I was hugely unhappy with them and got back to babylonian Spearmen(hellyeah) + Eastern axemen as my infantry. Western Heavy lancers never let me down, I prefer their cheapest version(KH) but If i get my hands on Tessalians(premium edition) or the Equites Extraordinari(the overpriced ones) I'm really happy. They probably are so popular as they are THE heavy Lancer for two factions with real cavalry deficits: Romans and Koinon hellenon.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

someone should make a summary from all propositions :P
    Sorry for my bad English.

that would be 80% of all non elit units

my favourite is the haploi

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

The Parthohellenikoi Thureophoroi perform poorly in my experience. They have a shortsword but don't have gladius lethality and their morale and discipline leave much to be desired. That being said, they are really the only infantry the Parthians get that has armor and javelins so they do have some use, especially as garrison units.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839