Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Questions & Ideas

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions & Ideas

This is how much it is.

France, for example, I just requested peace, bearing in mind a shot hasn't been fired, etc.

I first did 10,000 state gift.

Then I offered 100,000 gold , A ton of technology (I am almost full tech, everyone else is at max, 50%) just for a simple peace. (Even though I can easily if needed, build an army and just conquer them)

They said no. Why? It isn't realistic for them to decline. They are basically bankrupt, everyone ganking them, and they refuse a very good offer like that.

Everything else is just the same, they only accept when it's either too good not to pass up and even then, they can still pass.

In the end of RTI when you play as USA, the game tells you "It might be an idea to buy provinces from some of the factions in the area", Florida alone costed 80,000 till they accepted.

There are also bugs to do with diplomacy. The nations don't accept government type changes in the calculations. So for example, the Netherlands, say "different government type -25" even though my Russia is a republic and the Netherlands is a Republic.
    Screenie: https://img8.imageshack.us/my.php?im...publicwhat.jpg

I can send you my game files, if that is possible.
    Last edited by Beskar; 03-07-2009 at 06:13.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a 70mb save file isnt really something i should be downloading for another few days.

But yes, I should be able to change the diplomacy stuff. Not until mod tools.

I could start hex editing ships etc. If there was interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I have collected some information about 16th, 17th and 18th century infantry tactics and organization of battle lines in these periods. - If there is an interest I could contribute these here with references so modders can have easily access to. While VEM is not laid out as a "historical" mod project, the informations may still be of some use in relation to the modification of some of the stats.

Blog Entries

Yup, stat rebalances and possibly uniform modifications are definately planned.

Feel free to start a new thread.

When do you intend to start work? When modding tools are released?
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Blog Entries

ASAP after modding tools are released.

Blog Entries

Ever thought about modding the way government can be changed? For example, you can change the government at a mouse button which causes a certain about of dislike, but which has a chance of causing a revolution. So let's say you wanted to go Republic from Monarchy, it might upset the Upper Class so you have to quell a revolution.

or, you could make revolutions far more stronger. As one game, it was impossible for them to win unless I had no units in my city at all as their conscripts were mowed down within seconds by line's men.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

I havent had a revolution yet, so balancing it may be something I do (I'm about to have two rebellions at once)

I don't think I will change the method of revolutions, but I need to play more to find out.

Blog Entries

In my games at least, the revolution gets a cannon, general's bodyguard, horse, 2 militia and 2 conscripts. You can just hold the city with 4 line's men in the city, plus you get given +2 militia. It's not much of a challenge, just a "mild annoyance" of having to defeat them.

Hi everybody,

my 2 cents concerning map expansion (Australia and the like):
    There should be the possibility in the game to do at least what really happened in history (until 1799 or later if the timeframe is expanded). This includes Portugal in Brazil and on the African coast, Spain in Peru, the Dutch in South Africa, etc. (more resarch needed on my part here... )

Modelling an "empty" Australia shouldn't be a problem considering ETW apparently allows for "wilderness" territory which belongs to no specific province but can be crossed on foot if need be (see North America). So some small seperated costal provinces where settlements were belonging to a "native Australians" faction with limited population growth possibilities seem reasonable. Same for every other unsettled area, i.e. Africa, far South America, ect.. Asia obviously is a different matter...

Anyone thinking about modding the Byzantine empire into ETW sort of "what if they survived" mod? That would be pretty cool.

I have a few ideas. One, try and find a way to make the game files as close to MTW2 so people can mod their own games as well (I have never done anything big but I made some countries berfore). Secondly, some cavalry, (the Carabineers for example) should able to act like skirmishers. Also, a combinatation of the long range units and the light dragoons. My example would be mounted Jaegars who ride to a location, dismount, and act like normal Jaegars from then on until they remount.
    This one is kind of like Civilization, you can build a fort in the regionless areas of the map, and it develops into a province eventually, the main fort becomes the town and any smaller forts nearby become the villages. This last one is a little complicated but sounds awesome...Land-Naval battles! On the coast, land armis fight and if they have a navy near by the ships can fire on the enemy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gareth3 View Post
    This one is kind of like Civilization, you can build a fort in the regionless areas of the map, and it develops into a province eventually, the main fort becomes the town and any smaller forts nearby become the villages. This last one is a little complicated but sounds awesome...Land-Naval battles! On the coast, land armis fight and if they have a navy near by the ships can fire on the enemy.
    That would be a major mod, this mod will not change the game that much.

Another thing I thought of reading through this sub forum:
    You can't really expand the map (which is what I'll be looking forward to the most) without adding new factions. Otherwise the current model, where once a colonial power is destroyed in Europe its holdings become independent (imho the proper way to deal with this situation), simply won't work. Imagine Prussia being defeated in Germany but living on as a proper faction in Groß Friedrichsburg on the Gold Coast. Can't imagine anyone wanting that...

I also have some ideas on theaters and the areas the map should cover imho. I could write them up and draw some sketches if anyone (pevergreen?) is interested.

Greetings
    Last edited by Darth Venom; 03-13-2009 at 12:43.

Blog Entries

Yeah go for it!

Stuff thats in here may not be current, as much was before the game was released.

Should be quite a bit easier to mod than I thought, so gradual stages of bigger maps are definately in. Expand what we have first, then go own some noobs (noobs = areas not in game)

Keep on posting mate, you've only got ten from the last 5 years. I seem to be beating you

Quality not quantity! I prefer to tech up before I strike ;-) have mostly lurked around quite frequently though. Done quite some modding on MTW (1) when all you had to do to create a new unit & faction was edit some text files (not that it would ever have worked ). Ah, the good old times...

As I said above it would be nice to enable the player to do whatever really happened from 1700 - 1850 (?). Also I don't like the trade-spot system for Africa & the Indies because it seems way too simplyfied and makes it too easy to gobble up massive amounts of resources.

Generally theatres function as a seperatly taxable area, have a seperate Governor and are a area of recruitement for special units.
    With "landbridge" I'm below talking about a route between theatres like Persia is now which might consist partly of water though.
    Size/Population and wealth of colonies should be determind by their development until 1850, maybe a bit more.

Based on these assumtions my ideas for theatres would be:

Europe/North Africa/Middle East
    As it is plus Switzerland (Why on earth is that not in?!?!). Should have landbridges to India and maybe Africa (via the Nile). Also leave France & Spain as a single province. Capital taken = faction destroyed, that's how it should be imho. Governments in exile weren't quite invented then. I don't see any advantages as well, money can be generated through towns, strategic depth through forts and Paris has enough recruitement slots.

Africa
    Including everything south of the Sahara. Mostly unpassable wilderness though. Colonies (i.e. native factions or existing colonies at 1700) should be:
    - some very small ones from modern Senegal to Gabun, connected by land. Maybe some natives upriver to add to the challenge.
    - Angola costal regions
    - South Africa, the only one with significant inland access, the Brits and Boer settlers controlled much of modern SA by the 1830ies.
    - Mozambique & Madagascar costal regions
    - St Helena, Mauritius, Réunion and the Seychelles poor but strategically useful islands
    Land access to this theatre might be possible along the Nile, but shoud take ages. Literally.

India
    As is, still excluding east India. Landbridge to Europe and East India/Indies

East India/Indies/Australia/New Zealand
    Not sure about the inclusion of East India, needs some more thought and research. In the Indies provinces where historically accurate (Timor, Sumatra, big chunks of Borneo and New Guniea, Philippines and some more islands if adequate).
    Australia as mostly unpassable desert with small provinces where applicable. I'm sure there are Aussies around who know more about their history than I do. Same goes for New Zealand, but the provinces should encompass the whole islands.
    Also some small pacific islands if historically justifiable.
    There might be a size issue here if the distances are modelled correctly, (Auckland-Kuala Lumpur ~8800km while Reykjavík-Baghdad ~5600km) no idea about playability or engine issues.

North America
    As is minus everything roughly south of Martinique. Mainland South America gets its own theatre. In the east expanded to encompass Alaska an California, which should be reachable by the New Spain and Russia with the same difficultiy.
    Landbridge to South America (who would have thought...).

South America
    Entire continent with the appropiate Portuguese and Spanish colonies. To limit Spains power the two Viceroyalities New Spain and Peru should be seperated and not as easily included into Spain proper. Also the Falklands, South Georgia and maybe Galapagos should be there. If players want to explore hardcore an inclusion of a zero-population, almost zero-income antarctic province .

Far East
    consisting of China, Japan, Korea and Eastern Russia. This is probably the region I know the least about, so I can't give to much detail yet. Probably the most work as well, considering the amount of provinces and well-established factions. Landbridges to East India and Europe, the latter only via modern central Russia/Kazakhstan to allow Russia to get to its potential Pacific holdings. As we know they eventually got to Alaska and south to northern California

That should about cover it. More detail (maybe as a "suggested provinces list" in a seperate thread) late next week, when I'm back at work...
    Last edited by Darth Venom; 03-14-2009 at 12:13.

That's some good ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

Thanks,

completely forgot about east Asia though, just added it to the list.

has this started development yet?
    Last of the Romans - Efthymios ek Sparteos

Ok, as promised the above as a picture
    Theatre boundaries are red
    Blue are the "send unit of, get it back elsewhere one or more turns later" things. No idea if this works with land units, but that would be handy in Russia.
    Green are the kind of landbridges we now have through Persia and in the Persian Gulf.
    Last edited by Darth Venom; 03-15-2009 at 20:31.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

How about removing the standard bearer for the Native Americans? It seems a bit odd to me they would be carrying a big flag to battle, European style.

Texture Artist Extrodinare Member richyg13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Venom View Post
    Ok, as promised the above as a picture
    Theatre boundaries are red
    Blue are the "send unit of, get it back elsewhere one or more turns later" things. No idea if this works with land units, but that would be handy in Russia.
    Green are the kind of landbridges we now have through Persia and in the Persian Gulf.
    I would personaly suggest that the Europe - East Asia link be void from this outline, it seems a little unrealistic that any army would venture into this region. However, the rest of the map links are spot on my books.
    2D & 3D Games Artist
    - http://richyg13.deviantart.com

Blog Entries

Thats good!

Just need the bloody SDK now.

Quote Originally Posted by richyg13 View Post
    I would personaly suggest that the Europe - East Asia link be void from this outline, it seems a little unrealistic that any army would venture into this region. However, the rest of the map links are spot on my books.
    I added that primarily to enable the Russians to get to their holdings on the Pacific which existed since the mid 17th century.

But as pevergreen said, sadly everything we can do now is hope that all these ideas can be realised with the SDK.
    Last edited by Darth Venom; 03-16-2009 at 00:26.

what's SDK?

Lightbulb Re: Questions & Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by miniwally View Post
    what's SDK?
    Software development kit, AKA mod tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    Software development kit, AKA mod tools.
    thanks what are the mod tools CA say they're going to release going to be able to do? and can someone make a topic on all technologies you can get cause then i can help research it better

Blog Entries

How about adding a Town Watch unit?

Basically, its a unit all factions have (with variations) which are basically police. In actual combat, they are bad, but, when in settlements, they have the garrison bonus that dragoons have.

I noticed that many factions don't have dragoons for example, which makes some factions harder to repress some cities, especially the big ones. This would fix that but giving no edge in combat.

Don't know if this has been brought up, but the British Line infantry units are lacking in, flavour, certain ranger units carried tomahawks and could go toe to toe with thenatives in most conditions. They also seem to have a fairly odd formation, perhaps a new formation could be made for them? Kinda like the horde formation in Rome?

Line infantry, I just don't know here, they feel too unwieldy some times, and far too maleable at others. They clearly need to be slowed down, alot, as does cavalry, and to allow for some use of tactical skill, the accuracy of muskest needs to be reduced, range increased and morale increased. I have seen infantry march towards a cannon emplacement with the intent of dislodging the guns, only to see them run after the first few shots.

Also, is there some kind of bonus for marching in column? Could there be one? If this was allowed for then lines could be slowed down in speed utterly, as per real life, and allow for more tactical possibilities upon the field.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar View Post
    Don't know if this has been brought up, but the British Line infantry units are lacking in, flavour, certain ranger units carried tomahawks and could go toe to toe with the natives in most conditions. They also seem to have a fairly odd formation, perhaps a new formation could be made for them? Kinda like the horde formation in Rome?
    I think late light infantry get the skirmish formation which is essentially everyone spread out in a not so neat formation so it may be possible. Personally I think seeing natives in line formation is rather odd. If they are a musket or archer unit, fine, but an all mele unit....I don't think so.

As for the tomahawks, this may be possible. I've been reading that the game has two or three slots for weapons, a primary and secondary. So if I'm right, it could be possible to mod the secondary weapon slot to to a tomahawk, so when they are in close quarters combat, they switch from muskets (primary) to tomahawk (secondary).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast