Thread: Morale the keys to victory

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Morale the keys to victory

Okay! This is not the Newest Posdcast but I had not seen it before.

Besides, Jack Lusted takes a part in it and the information will allow us a bit more in-depth information into the morale system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oE1...eature=related

I learned a bit, hope you do too!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Morale the keys to victory

Yeah I hope they have finally seen the light and removed the huge boosts to morale one could get some experience and generals.

CBR

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR View Post
    Yeah I hope they have finally seen the light and removed the huge boosts to morale one could get some experience and generals.

CBR

I'm not sure I agree. Improvements to morale from the presence of certain commanders has played a huge role in many victories saved from the jaws of defeat. For example, I'm currently reading a biography of Cromwell and it is apparent that Cromwells aura of invincibility played a huge role in his later victories in Ireland and the second civil war. I guess it depends on what you mean by "huge boosts" though.
    Last edited by SpencerH; 02-05-2009 at 16:02. Reason: added stuff
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Cellular Microbiologist Member SpencerH's Avatar

After watching the podcasts, I have to say that if ETW lives up to the hype (and I hope it does) it will be spectacular. I'm even giving thoughts to pre-ordering it, which I swore I wouldnt do after M2TW.
    E Tenebris Lux
    Just one old soldiers opinion.
    We need MP games without the oversimplifications required for 'good' AI.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerH View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. Improvements to morale from the presence of certain commanders has played a huge role in many victories saved from the jaws of defeat. For example, I'm currently reading a biography of Cromwell and it is apparent that Cromwells aura of invincibility played a huge role in his later victories in Ireland and the second civil war. I guess it depends on what you mean by "huge boosts" though.
    If morale is to play a role then units have to be within a rather narrow morale range. It has never taken that much of a boost before units started fighting to their death. RTW/M2TW did have smaller effect than STW/MTW from unit experience and command stars but it still meant way too much.

My experience comes mostly from modding for MTW engine but there one had to have morale within around 5-10 and that was for MP where there are no generals to boost the morale and was meant to have no upgrades.

I only did get to work a bit with RTW, morale penalties have never been made public by CA nor did I spend much time testing, but from playing various campaigns I still saw lots of high morale units being nearly impossible to rout.

CBR
    Last edited by CBR; 02-05-2009 at 17:35.

And this was made even larger from various mods that tried to get melees more prolonged. But for people who dont have the mp experience its hard to comprehend this view - that is - that there is a narrow effective range for morale that determines overall gameplay.

Even MTW players like more morale which is why many MTW mods add command stars in titles and morale bonuses from the campaign.

Noir