Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe the Plumber Won't Go Away

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Post Joe the Plumber Won't Go Away

Sam Wurzelbacher seems to be outliving his 15 minutes of fame. We all remember his stint as a war reporter for Pajamas Media. As that site wrote:

[Journalists'] complaint seems to be that that being a war correspondent — among the most glamorous and dangerous of media assignments — requires a specialized journalism background. At the risk of bruising the fragile egos of some of these journalists — no, it doesn’t.

And "Joe" proved this point, by bringing his unique perspective to war: "I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell."

What, you thought that was the last we'd hear from this unlicensed plumber? Wrongo. He has resurfaced as a Republican Consultant. (I thought he would run for office, but apparently he says, "I don’t know if the American public deserve me." Fair enough, pardner.)

Anyway, Sam is making money by dispensing advice to Congressional Republicans. Is anybody not giving them advice at this point? Here's what they're paying Sam for:

His advice, essentially, was to take no prisoners in standing up for their beliefs.

“It’s not politically incorrect to say you’re Republican or conservative,” Joe said. “They need to dig their heels in and fight for what needs to be done.”

And no reason to be subtle, he said, as long as folks inform themselves. “I don’t believe there’s two sides to every story. It’s black and white,” Wurzelbacher explained. “There’s right and wrong.”

Um, Sam, "right and wrong" is two sides ... oh, nevermind.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-05-2009 at 14:35.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Default Re: Joe the Plumber Won't Go Away

I kinda understand why he´s hanging around for so long....the guy is probably trying to save up to buy a brain
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Funny this thread crops up today... Just this morning I was listening to the local liberal morning show on the way to work and they were slamming old Joe as a fraud, phony and just about anything else you can think of. The idea of him as a common man really seemed to make them bristle.

Bad reporter? Sure. Awkward public speaker? Yep. There's certainly a lot of criticism you can level at the guy, but I don't see where any of it makes him a phony. Being inarticulate when speaking extemporaneously I think would be a common trait among "normal" people. How does not being as slick and polished as a PR firm make him inauthentic? He sounded as inarticulate as can be when he says things like "I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell."- but who doesn't understand the point he was trying to make?

Certainly, blame the "news" outlet that sent a man, without any training and woefully unprepared, out as a war correspondent. But why the hate for Joe? I suspect many of us, given the opportunity to leave a (literally) crappy job in exchange for fame and fortune to try to "tell it like it is" (or at least as you see it) might do the same and I further expect most of us would similarly make a mess of it. It's a lot easier to be succinct when typing on a forum than it is when speaking off the cuff.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Funny this thread crops up today... Just this morning I was listening to the local liberal morning show on the way to work and they were slamming old Joe as a fraud, phony and just about anything else you can think of. The idea of him as a common man really seemed to make them bristle.
    How many "common" men end up as Republican Consu wait never mind.
    Last edited by CrossLOPER; 02-05-2009 at 17:34.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

I suspect many of us, given the opportunity to leave a (literally) crappy job in exchange for fame and fortune to try to "tell it like it is" [...] might do the same and I further expect most of us would similarly make a mess of it.
    Oh, I don't know, I think a lot of people have enough common sense to avoid media attention when they're not ready for it. Those who choose to thrust themselves forward time and time again no matter how much of a mess they make deserve some needling. Does the name "Cindy Sheenan" ring a bell?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Oh, I don't know, I think a lot of people have enough common sense to avoid media attention when they're not ready for it. Those who choose to thrust themselves forward time and time again no matter how much of a mess they make deserve some needling. Does the name "Cindy Sheenan" ring a bell?
    That may be true, but I don't think Joe has reached the level of shrillness or moonbattery that Sheehan did (remember, she even became a 9/11 truther)- yet. Of course, there's still time.

The main critiques against him seem to be about his oafishness, not for being a looney. If he were pushing wild-eyed conspiracy theories, that would be one thing. But, he's actually making points (or trying to) and being slammed for being unable to do so eloquently. I think the current tone of the mockery towards him has some risks of backlash. Hit him for what he says, not how he says it.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-05-2009 at 18:19.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Plumbing isn't that bad (at least pay wise). People always need to relieve themselves.

It'd have more dignity than what he's up to these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Plumbing isn't that bad (at least pay wise). People always need to relieve themselves.
    So that's why he's pissing them off.
    This space intentionally left blank

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Everyone deserves a chance at glory - and this is cistern.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Hit him for what he says, not how he says it.
    I think that you need to have a higher degree of communication skills than the average GameSpot user if you are going to express your views openly.
    Last edited by CrossLOPER; 02-05-2009 at 20:12.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He's probably being paid more than me for a pretty easy job.

Sure, people he'll never meet will make fun, but as a tradeoff it's one I'd happily make.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Yes but nowadays it seems most people don't have any kind of common sense, let alone enough to make that kind of decision. And sensible or not most people would love the chance to get those 15 minutes of fame and, more importantly, the temporary boost in income that often accompanies those minutes. For this reason alone I don't begrudge Joe the Plumber or Cindy Sheehan when they open their mouths or make fools of themselves. It's their life, let them do with it what they will.

My problem is with the 'respectable' media outlets that continue to give these people and their antics extensive coverage. I find it difficult to mutter the words 'press' and 'respect' in the same breath when they treat this kind of nonsense as if it's front page news.
    Last edited by Spino; 02-05-2009 at 20:59.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post

It'd have more dignity than what he's up to these days.
    Plumbing pays damn well, especially since so few people want to be plumbers nowadays. NYC plumbers make a killing.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    Plumbing pays damn well, especially since so few people want to be plumbers nowadays. NYC plumbers make a killing.
    Well... it's not bad.

EDIT: Apparently, you can work at McDonald's for about the same amount and not have to worry about crap.
    Last edited by CrossLOPER; 02-05-2009 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossLOPER View Post
    Well... it's not bad.
    You clearly have never lived in New York City, where tax avoidance is a major pastime. If that chart is based on any sort of real numbers, I expect it's a case of $40k in reported income, not counting all of the cash jobs they can do.

Seriously, most of the shops in Brooklyn wouldn't take credit cards or check. They just wanted cash. To which I would usually say, "Hey, I don't like paying taxes either, but I do it. So can you!" Strangely, this never got me beat up.

Another thought on Sam — my brother-in-law spent a decade becoming first a journeyman and then a master plumber. It was a big deal. What exactly is Sam W.'s status among plumbers? Is he an apprentice, a journeyman, a nothing, what?

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

If the guy can make a buck and toss a little variety into the entertainment we call news reporting then more power to him.

It's no worse than actors going into politics, politicians turning into lobbyists, journalists running for office and lawyers turning into journalists.

Really, there's nothing about a journalism degree that should qualify someone to be a journalist any more than completing some college level grammar and legal classes. Take it from someone with a journalism degree.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

If that chart is based on any sort of real numbers, I expect it's a case of $40k in reported income, not counting all of the cash jobs they can do.
    The executives tend to carry off more than individuals.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Banquo: That was painful. Please, stop what you are doing, head to the nearest public house and quaff 3 pints of Arthur's finest in rapid succession. Perhaps if you anesthetize the offending gray matter cells, they won't force you to pun that way again.

Somebody needs to set Joe up on a Quail shoot with our former VEEP.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 02-06-2009 at 05:01.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    It's hard, messy work. But, you can pick your own hours and work when you want, be your own boss and all that. Most of the plumbers here all get off work at 3pm and head of down to the beach for a surf.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic View Post
    It's hard, messy work. But, you can pick your own hours and work when you want, be your own boss and all that. Most of the plumbers here all get off work at 3pm and head of down to the beach for a surf.
    Same with political consultants, here.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Joe, Michelle Malkin and Glenn Reynolds all chatting about the stimulus bill. It is, apparently, comedy gold.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Sam Wurzelbacher seems to be outliving his 15 minutes of fame. We all remember his stint as a war reporter for Pajamas Media. As that site wrote:

[Journalists'] complaint seems to be that that being a war correspondent — among the most glamorous and dangerous of media assignments — requires a specialized journalism background. At the risk of bruising the fragile egos of some of these journalists — no, it doesn’t.

And "Joe" proved this point, by bringing his unique perspective to war: "I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell."

What, you thought that was the last we'd hear from this unlicensed plumber? Wrongo. He has resurfaced as a Republican Consultant. (I thought he would run for office, but apparently he says, "I don’t know if the American public deserve me." Fair enough, pardner.)

Anyway, Sam is making money by dispensing advice to Congressional Republicans. Is anybody not giving them advice at this point? Here's what they're paying Sam for:

His advice, essentially, was to take no prisoners in standing up for their beliefs.

“It’s not politically incorrect to say you’re Republican or conservative,” Joe said. “They need to dig their heels in and fight for what needs to be done.”

And no reason to be subtle, he said, as long as folks inform themselves. “I don’t believe there’s two sides to every story. It’s black and white,” Wurzelbacher explained. “There’s right and wrong.”

Um, Sam, "right and wrong" is two sides ... oh, nevermind.
    You're right, he should not be out there. We should leave journalism to professionals like Kieth Olberman, Chris Matthews, Dan Rather, and Jayson Blair.
    RIP Tosa

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I hope he never leaves

Palin/Plumber 2012!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Know the dark side Member Askthepizzaguy's Avatar

As always, I respect the idea of people I disagree with shooting their mouth off.

All I would like to say is, as a former republican and moderate conservative who's fed up with this nonsense, they could find a much better representative of common sense conservative interests than Joe the plumber and Sarah Palin.

Since neither party promised to balance the budget and pay down the national debt, I had to go with the one that would spend it on things that sick/poor people need, which will go directly into the failing economy. I'm disappointed with a lot of the spending, but if you are going to spend it, at least create jobs with it.

You guys are right to compare Joe the Plumber with the lefty wackos. How's about we don't listen to any of the ultra-partisan nutjobs, no matter what their political party? Joe is an embarrassment. He's about as eloquent and deep as a drunk man hitting on a hooker who doesn't realize that she takes cash, and she doesn't need to be wined and dined.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

What people don't realise if the various partisan nut jobs around serve as something to put moderates off and give the other side something to point and laugh at, i suppose the problem is that the people who do listen to these nutjobs are often not intelligent enough or to hung up on on thier own bias to realise what a fool the commentator is..
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    All I would like to say is, as a former republican and moderate conservative who's fed up with this nonsense, they could find a much better representative of common sense conservative interests than Joe the plumber and Sarah Palin.
    Since, barring an concantenation of events that I cannot forsee, there is no GOP candidate who has a prayer of beating Obama in 2012, I think Palin/Plumber would be an ideal ticket -- no loss to the party's future.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

They won't have a prayer of beating Obama if he succeeds in turning this country around.

But they will have even less of a prayer if they don't do something to help turn this country around.

Consequently, they have the choice to be selfless and help out, or selfish and sabotage his efforts. And so therefore, they are currently more concerned with themselves than the nation, and it sickens me.

If Obama's plans go through, consistently, with no Republican support, and it does some good, the Republicans will have nothing to say when they have to campaign for the senate and house seats. They proposed no good ideas and stood in the way of progress. And if that leads to them losing even more seats to the Democrats, we become a one-party nation.

I think that's unhealthy and dangerous.

Almost anyone would be a better ticket than Palin/Plumber. I'd take any moderate republican who has a history of opposing pork spending and being bipartisan, and has no serious ties to lobbyists or other ethical problems concerning them.

A one party state is dangerous. The Republican party needs to be less of a puppet of Rush Limbaugh and more a party that moderate people can use as an alternative to the Democrats, should they become more bloated and corrupt than the previous Congress and administration.

We need choices, and I hate that the Republicans are forcing me to vote against them. I want to be able to decide between two viable options, not simply vote to make sure Bush's policies are discontinued, and that Palin does not gain power. It's a horrendous situation they are putting myself and the country in, and it's too partisan, too selfish, too dangerous, and a darn sight too immature and stupid.
    Last edited by Askthepizzaguy; 02-09-2009 at 12:29.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Askthepizzaguy View Post
    If Obama's plans go through, consistently, with no Republican support, and it does some good, the Republicans will have nothing to say when they have to campaign for the senate and house seats.
    That's a big "if" though. In a political world which has become very partisan (and not just in the United States) there is a calculation to be made.

No-one knows if the stimulus package will work, and still less people know if the alternative (complete government withdrawal in favour of the market) has any merit. Republican strategy could be to ally closely with the stimulus, whereupon Obama still gets all the credit if it works (no-one remembers their part) and they get just as much flak as he if it doesn't.

By choosing to disengage, they're not much worse off if the stimulus works, but possibly reap the benefits of opposition if it all goes tits-up. It's a reasonable stance if the benchmark is self-interest.

My view is that parties (of all shades and most Western democracies) are almost identical in the practice of government and none are interested in principle, merely power. Since each side will do virtually the same in power, they can only differentiate themselves by opposition, regardless of the merit of what is proposed. Most also cling to the natural political cycle in a two party system, which is that no matter how awful their policies may have been, it will be their turn soon enough because the voter forgets - or cares less, since the incumbents are indistinguishable from the opposition. The GOP knows that in a few years, they will still be able to play the "small government, fiscal conservative" card because few voters will remember the Socialist Republic implemented by President Bush.

So it is unsurprising that the Republican party would take such a stance, just as the Democratic party did. The great thing about the US system is that there is a president - the right person can overcome this tendency of "party" and actually implement some principled government.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

It's true that the Republican party may have nothing to gain politically if they help Obama and the Democrats pass legislation that could help this nation out.

However, I feel as though if we elected them to serve the country, that should be the overriding concern, not "what we can do to waste time until 2012".

I am just as critical of a minority party of Democrats doing the same self-serving thing. It's the obstructionism and partisanship that galls me, every time it happens, no matter which party does it.

The Republicans have a chance, with every passing day, to draft their own legislation and use their free time for the next 4 years campaigning around this country with their proposed alternative.

They don't even need to show up for votes, because they cannot really stop the Democrats. So why waste time sitting in the Senate with a thumb up their ?

DO something. Tell me what would be better, and don't say "the policies of the last 8 years". Give me a third alternative, or don't bother being elected ever again. DO your jobs, Republicans. Something besides selfish partisanship would be nice.

I'm not thrilled about the bailout packages either, but if they won't give me something as an option besides general tax cuts, no matter what the situation calls for, I don't see why they should bother holding office. And shouldn't we be balancing the budget, eventually? How do tax cuts accomplish this.
    #Winstontoostrong
    #Montytoostronger

Yes, perhaps we'll see the GOP Senators Draft Stimulus Alternative.

...or maybe the Repubicans in the House could come up with something.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 02-09-2009 at 18:44.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast