Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Suitable Husband

Smile A Suitable Husband

Hello!
    Quite often I get redicoulous "Suitable" husband offers. I thought I would share one of them. It would be nice, if you, guys, could post some of yours. And actually if you could post some really suitable husband offers - that is those without quotes, for contrats, would be great too :)
    Here's mine:
    - Not only is he a poor farmer and trader, but guess what - he's also very "young", and certainly must be terribly attractive!

Default Re: A Suitable Husband

Phffft! That screenshot is obviously photoshopped! No general of mine gets to be that old!
    Last edited by Gaias; 02-07-2009 at 00:35.
    Help make developers understand the importance of game AI and earn credits as a Game Designer. The Restaurant Game Project

Quote Originally Posted by Gaias View Post
    Phffft! That screenshot is obviously photoshopped! No general of mine gets to be that old!
    Not at all!!!! It is 100% authentic, and I was obviously asking for authentic screenshots and stories too. I frequently get such suitable husbands who are between 55 and 70 yo. 75, I must admit is quite rare.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

One must ask why your faction leader's daughter would want to marry someone who scares children...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

Who said she wanted kids.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Poor girl

That has got to be the oldest suitor I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaias View Post
    No general of mine gets to be that old!
    Once in BI I had a general that reached the age of 91 with no reloading of save games.

I've had a 78 year old marrying a 50 year old daughter (I also had another daughter becoming an eldery spinster).

The guy died the next turn.

I also once had a general go over 90 (starting general for the Ptolemaion on Kypros).
    My FM's often reach well into the 70.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Oh, that's not ridiculous at all. He's old and an idiot, but he's nobile (gens Fabia, wow), may be rich and will die soon. He's even to old to touch your daughter ;-) Let her marry him and get his money and his slaves *G*
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get these 'suitable husbands' too almost every turn!

It's because I don't marry those daughters when they are 12 and when they finally are some 30 they start gettingthese 50-.. year old guys whit terrible traits as their suitors!!
    That's why I only accept MotH offers. At least that way I can get a nice capable general!

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    My FM's almost never go beyond 65. Those who do die at about 68. Usually they die at 60-62.

The suitors in EB are still a lot better than the ones in vanilla RTW. At least they have some traits now. In vanilla I would often get FM's with no traits at all.
    Last edited by julius_caesar_the_first; 02-07-2009 at 11:20.

The problem is, once you have a huge empire it is hard to get all the ladies married, because you can't get several offers a turn, so sometimes you have to reduce your requirements. Then it can be not that bad if the suitor is so old, because you get one girl married, have a slight chance of a child being made and soon you'll be rid of the old, babbling loser again
    Read about glory and decline of the Seleucid Empire... (EB 1.1 AAR)

from Satalexton from I of the Storm from Vasiliyi

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lysimachos View Post
    The problem is, once you have a huge empire it is hard to get all the ladies married, because you can't get several offers a turn, so sometimes you have to reduce your requirements. Then it can be not that bad if the suitor is so old, because you get one girl married, have a slight chance of a child being made and soon you'll be rid of the old, babbling loser again
    Indeed. Once I get about twenty or thirty years into a campaign, I'll accept any offer I get. I'll still sometimes get the message of women passed child bearing age, or whatever it is.

^ditto, I've also got a crisis, my family tree is full of unmarried women over 40. And yes, I get absolutely idiotic proposals, too. Had a 75 year-old Dull/Uncharismatic/Langurous propose to my daughter once

Hmm, i always except a candidate even if he's is a idiot/ dirty old man/ whatever. Love in EB is blind just like in real life :P
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Meh, kid grows up without a father figure and becomes a opium dealing gangster. He would be the original OG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

I find generals who never do anything live to be the oldest. If you have a general who is constantly on campaign from the ages of 30-55 (when i retire them from campaigning) they usually die before they hit 60, even though they have huge amounts of command, influence and management and reside in cities with good health buildings and whatnot.

Whereas if you leave one as governor as soon as he comes of age up until he dies, no matter what city you put him in, he'll last well into his late 70's.

That would be very realistic. Campaigning for 25 years can have adverse effects on anybody's health. Living a life of relative idleness wouldn't.

I too had over-70 husbands, however I don't remember if the oldest was 75 or 78.
    You're an island of tranquillity in a sea of chaos.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem!

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Yeah Dayve, I've seen that happen with Chermonides. However, my best general that I keep on constant campaign usually can live til his 70s only to drop dead in retirement. I've always felt really bad to keep them campaigning until they died so I usually retire them when they hit their golden years.

I did have my last Spartan general with a Spartan bodyguard in a KH campaign live until he was 68. I think I kept him the field too long since he never got a 'age' trait beyond 'middle-aged.' The other Spartans died fighting the Macedonians so he had to take revenge on them. He took the last settlement and killed Perseus of Macedon and promptly died of old age in between turns.
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 02-09-2009 at 15:49.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by julius_caesar_the_first View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    My FM's almost never go beyond 65. Those who do die at about 68. Usually they die at 60-62.

The suitors in EB are still a lot better than the ones in vanilla RTW. At least they have some traits now. In vanilla I would often get FM's with no traits at all.

Just to illustrate my luck.. My current Romani Faction Leader just reached 70 (which is not exceptionally old...).

Cnaevs Cornelivs Scipio Asina Africanvs

Has been elected Consul for 9 years in a row now!

Last edited by Mediolanicus; 02-09-2009 at 21:27.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Wow, but he's quite an impressive fella

sorry,

I cant resist mentioning that in the ancient world noble marriages had nothing to do with personal attraction or even personal choice. These men are being offered because they would strengthen the political or financial positionor their family/tribe.... and the young ladies in question would know all their lives that they would be matched off at a suitable age with anyone their parents chose for these reasons... they would then be expected to provide children for dynastic reasons with whoever they were married to, so I dont see why the age or character of the proposed husband would matter at all.

In some parts of the world arranged marriage is still widely accepted so I am a little surprised at the comments earlier about age and suitability.

cheers,

Pobs

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

The age thing is a human touch. A 13 girl should not be forced to marry a 30+ year old guy. Plus in my campaigns I want my generals to be as young as possible anyway, so it has a practical side too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    The age thing is a human touch. A 13 girl should not be forced to marry a 30+ year old guy. Plus in my campaigns I want my generals to be as young as possible anyway, so it has a practical side too.
    You are right, they should not at all. But I agree with Pobs, that ancient people had another understandig of ethics, so a man from those ages would tell you, that a noble girl at this age should not be unmarried. Of course to a rich, old and mighty man...
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 02-10-2009 at 13:38.

True roman there Mediolanicus! What I liked in his traits is : Office of Pontifex Maximus and Hates the Gods . The guy should hate his office.

What was the age that Romans/Greeks accepted as suitable for a girl to get married? I know they were quite young, but never actually noticed what age it was. Also maybe there is any details on what age girls in celtic/germanic/getic tribes married and what was the age in the East?

i think it depends on their status. Maybe girls from lower levels of society were tendetially married younger than nobile ones.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Maybe girls from lower levels of society were tendetially married younger than nubile ones.
    Yes, it is a pun. Sorry, I couldn't resist...

@Mediolanicus: The funny thing is even with that trait list, he's still needs that Arrogans(sp) trait to qualify for Augustian Reforms.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

What... did most of your campaigning generals died before they hit 65?

I usually get my campaigning general high command stats, and they got scarred traits too.... and most of them hit 90++...... (is there really a savegame bug?... i heard that sometimes...)

The best suitors that comes to my daughters is 39 years old guy, he had natural genius trait, and some good command traits...... (total 5 command, 7 management, 3 influence).... too bad he had scarred traits first...... but he marry my 12 years old daughter.....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Just out of curiosity: has anybody had an FM that reached the age of 100 or beyond?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast