Thread: historical fiction novels based on celts

Default historical fiction novels based on celts

well i was wondering does anybody know of any good historical fiction based on mainland celts (non britain or ireland) Seems to me thats all the celtic novels I could find. Particularly around EB time frame.

Legatus Member Tiberius Claudius Marcellus's Avatar

Default Re: historical fiction novels based on celts

It's not a novel, but Astérix le Gaulois was always a good read for me! The original is in French; but I'm sure you can get a good english version.
    Last edited by Tiberius Claudius Marcellus; 02-08-2009 at 17:07.
    Semper Fidelis

Campaigns Completed:
    Casse, Epirote, Getai, Romani
    "it is in his character traits and that's how Tiberius chooses to rp him. In all honesty i think this would be boring without such ridiculous characters..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tribunus Tiberius Claudius Marcellus View Post
    It's not a novel, but Astérix le Gaulois was always a good read for me! The original is in French; but I'm sure you can get a good english version.
    And in Latin!

All the books I can think off are indeed about Britain. I'm interested to see if anyone does know a good novel about continental Celts...

But it could be the aforementioned literary pearl is the best you can get.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Im actually beginning to write a historical-fiction novel focusing on a group of Galatian mercenaries of the Tectosagii tribe - Strabo wrote that they came originally from around modern day Toulouse, France and were a branching off of the Volcae. They migrated through Macedonia at around 270 B.C. and settled in Asia Minor, forming Galatia - but, the translation of the tribe is likely to change and much of my current research will be developed further. So some day years from now, there will likely be some Celtic historical fiction out there! :)

I'm at the research and character concept stage right now. I've written a bit already and gathered some basic research. I've been enthralled by Celtic histroy ever since I was 5, and over the past several years have been learning everything I can about them. I sincerely wish to release a book that captures the spirit of the culture and describes their sophistication as well as their brutality. My characters will be ranging from fanatical "wild-men" to stoic chieftains. It's going to center around the mercenaries, so little time will be spent writing of peace. Wish me luck!

Wish there was more fiction about realistic Celts out there, instead of all the high fantasy stuff. That's what I'll be striving for as well, with the help of playing EB of course :)
    Last edited by Eberhard; 02-08-2009 at 21:56.

Well done my good man!!!! That was exactly what I was looking for, My favorite group of celts the 3 tribes. Hmmmm Maybe include the sack of delphi unless of course the setting for your story is when they were already settled in asia minor. Well anyway I was hoping that somebody had written a novel on the very unique galatians.

Thanks :) I was most likely going to fit in the story within the EB time frame, but who knows what I'll change it to in the future. Delphi was a huge moment in history, so using that as a headline could a attract a greater number of readers. So I'll consider it for sure! Maybe I'll even do this: Have a flashback of the event as if my main character in the story were reliving it through his ancestor's eyes, his bloodline having survived and continued. Might be on to something there...

Eberhard, if you need any info or have any questions on the Galatians, let me know. I'm quite enthused about your goal of the book. They are probably my favorite group of Celts, and the only group of 'barbarians' to have their book in the Bible alongside the Romans and Greeks

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

I would recommend Claude Cueni's "The Caesar's Druid", a historical novel about a Celt that joins Caesar's expedition through Gaul, and in the way transforms in a Druid. It's quite original, and entertaining too.

Member Member Codyos Vladimiros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Khazar_Dahvos View Post
    well i was wondering does anybody know of any good historical fiction based on mainland celts (non britain or ireland) Seems to me thats all the celtic novels I could find. Particularly around EB time frame.
    The closest I can think of is "Druids" by Morgan LLywllyn, or some last name with a similar spelling. It basically tells the story of the Gallic Wars from the point of view of the Gauls themselves.

I know there is some historical fiction about Vercingetorix but i forgot the author

I recommend Alfred Duggan's "Winter Quarters" about two Gallic noblemen serving with Crassus during his Carrhae campaign.
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Quote Originally Posted by Power2the1 View Post
    Eberhard, if you need any info or have any questions on the Galatians, let me know. I'm quite enthused about your goal of the book. They are probably my favorite group of Celts, and the only group of 'barbarians' to have their book in the Bible alongside the Romans and Greeks
    Thank you, I could definately use any info that you have, any help at all could help :)

I'm in search of a reliable timeline of events surrounding the Galatians, more in depth research is required for me to make the historical period completely valid. Perhaps any historical Galatian figures of the period too. I'm looking on and off when I have time of course. It's a slow process right now, quite distracted with other things Actually, would you know of a book that concentrates on the Galatians rather than the Gauls and Britons? That would be the best help I could get right now. :)