Thread: Casse aar: Legend of Arthus

Default Casse aar: Legend of Arthus

Birth of a Legend:

This is not my tale, it is the tale of my best friend and greatest king to ever rule our people the Casse, Arthus, it all started on the day I was only 4 at the time but I remember it as if it were only yesterday. He was born at the shrine of our goddess Andastre not long after he was born a mysterious druid appeared out of the mist of the forest and blessed the child, and told us that he was sent by the gods to unite the tribes of Britain.
    That he would stand before the gods and be worthy to bask in there glory and save his people from a coming beast.

Three summers later Arthus had already been able to pick up a sword as I sat there thinking to myself on the hill side I heard the bushes rustling through it came a pack of wolves they surrounded us in the blink of an eye. Next to happen would prove that Arthus was chosen by the gods, a lone wolf approached Arthus and stared him in the eyes face to face amazingly the boy did the same not backing down staring the wolf in the eyes. Both refused to back down both circling one another as if they were looking for an opening suddenly the wolf lunged itself at Arthus, it was this day that he earned his name Arthus the wolf.

This is my first AAR so if you have any tips for me please go ahead, i will up date this every 2 days or sooner as i am busy alot of the time.

Default Re: Casse aar: Legend of Arthus

Jerk, Casse AAR was my idea!

Haha JK. Nice premise, Kind of mirroring the Arthurian Legends, sweet. Looking forward to this.

Now for some suggestions. Really the only thing I have so say is that you should clean up your run on sentences, as those are a problem in the write up. Not only will it make for an easier read, but in addition, by using punctuation to create variety in sentence structure you can really spice up your story and make it more interesting.

Oh and sweet picture, did you draw it yourself or find it on the internet?
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 02-07-2009 at 16:23.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Good luck with this man. I hope it goes well. Why did you rip off owen's idea though?
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

I dont know who owen is so i didnt know he had the same idea as me I found the picture on the internet and thanks for advice but im not very good with literacy lol.
    Last edited by Mr.Man; 02-07-2009 at 17:01.

It's alright, I'm just joking. A good rule of thumb for punctuation is just think about how you speak (although if English isn't your first language it may be tricky), and notice when you pause in speech, that's usually a good place to stop.

However if that fails, another good idea is just to read a lot, and when your reading, pay attention to sentence structure, you can really pick up a lot from just reading a lot.

Or, failing that, try picking up a grammar book. I highly recommend Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Lynne Truss; it's a very good primer to the basics of punctuation (however beware, as it may turn you into a grammarian by the end of it).

But yeah, good luck!
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

The Wolves Lair:

It has been twelve summers since Arthus has earned his name he is now a young man who mastered the sword, axe and chariot, I was to watch over him until he was 20 summers of age like me. The day had only just begun and the village was in a panic, woman and children were all running to there house until a fellow kinsmen had handed me my sword and told me to fetch my armour because a nearby tribe is attacking our village. That was when Arthus appeared ready for battle demanding to fight the village chieftain was against it at first until Arthus rushed for the chariot and the chieftain let him come to battle as there was not much time to prepare for the battle. Our men burst throw the gate ready to meet the foes we had time to position ourselves to hold the attackers long enough for all the chariots to be ready for battle. The enemy troops came down on us like a furious tide of water they almost smashed our troops aside but we held our ground knowing that we can not loose this battle or our people would be enslaved by these dogs!!. A man came at me with a sword and shield, war paint covering his entire body I smashed him round the face with my shield and cut off his arms I left him there to die as more of them just kept coming. The troops started to loose ground against our foes, their warriors were endless but we refused to loose as everything we had would be gone if we loose our ground.

Blaring through the hot wind came the sound of a horn, the chariots came storming across the field slaying all in their path leading them was the chieftain the enemy warriors seemed to falter at the site of the chariots. I used this opportunity to charge forward soon my brothers followed me into battle in an attempt to split their forces as I turned to look at the men I seen the enemy cavalry charge the chariots. It was at this time I saw Arthus leap of his chariot and tackle one of the mounted warriors to the ground the fall broke the manís neck, Arthus quickly rose up and hurled a javelin at what appeared to be the enemy chieftain slaying his horse. The chieftain arose covered in war paint, covered in the best armour and a huge shield to match, he picked up his sword and charge Arthus both warriors were locked in combat for only a few moments but it was stunning Arthus with his axe smashed the enemy chieftain shield into splinters with a single blow then he took his head off in an instant. Arthus picked up the severed head and with a mighty battle cry his voice was heard throughout the battlefield, the enemy warriors had lost heart and fled back into the forest.

Im doing quite well so far with my Campaign so ill Release this one early

Downgradez :( Member Iskander 3.1's Avatar

"and when your reading, pay attention to sentence structure"

And make sure that you use the right our/you're :)
    Sorry, don't mean to be a jerk
    Strikeout!

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

While this story is invigorating, i can safely assume that english is not ur first language?
    Youre not making too many mistakes, dont worry, but the guy above me is right plz watch ur sentence structure.

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

No it's alright, you caught me rushing my typing. That was one of the few occasions in which I didn't bother to proof read what I wrote. No harm no foul, nobody's perfect.

btw, I like your typo as well
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Revenge:
    Later that summer we discovered who the tribe that attacked us were the Dumnones a large tribe west of us many of our brothers demanded blood Arthus convinced the chieftain that battle was the only option for us to take. Arthus was to lead this attack which many of us thought was stupid as he was too young to lead his people to battle but no one spoke out loud there true feelings as they knew he was a strong warrior. The journey was long we reached there home at winter and we surrounded there village waiting for them to come out the cowards tried to wait the siege out hoping that there allies would come but they never did we defeated them on the way. The following spring they came forth to fight us but it was already to late most of them were starved others were almost dead but mercy was for the weak Arthus commanded us to line upon the hill and let them come to us. The enemy army was slowly marching towards us most of them could barely stand the weight of their own armour and swords, Arthus rode to the front of the army in his chariot to encourage the troops, it was amazing I had never seen the army so lively and yelling at the top of their lungs.

There they wait in fear with swords in feeble hands with dreams to be a king first one should be a man many stand against us but they will never win, we said we would return to bring them all suffering and pain, we are the hammer of the gods we are thunder wind and rain.
    he entire army was in an uproar from a small speech like that is was amazing already some on the enemies were faltering in seeing our army in a frenzy but there cruel chieftain forced them forward he killed anyone who would flee. Their army charged us out of fear of their chieftain a terrible mistake that cost them the battle our troops unleashed the javelins on them many of the enemy troops fell before they even got near our troops. When the enemy smashed into our lines they were out of breath from charging up the hill and our troops enjoyed the slaughter as the enemy were almost helpless against us. I slew countless men that day they didn’t even put up a decent struggle one man charged me and I kicked him in the chest he rolled all the way to the bottom of the hill knocking many of his brothers down with him. I and a few of my brothers charged through the gap resulting in the rest of our brothers charging the enemy lines which soon crumbled. The fighting was soon scattered everywhere the formations were abandoned people could only tell who was on their side by the war paint it was complete chaos.

The battle didn’t last long as the enemy warriors soon lost heart and fled back to the village many were cut down by the chariots in a desperate attempt to rally his men the chieftain charged our lines but his men did not follow him we surrounded him and cut him down. The enemy warriors surrendered the village to us without much of a fight we celebrated long into the night that was when Arthus stood up and told us this was only the beginning he said he would unite the whole of Britain and those that helped him would bring honour to their families and untold riches waited them if they followed him. The army cheered Arthus had won the respect of a thousand men all in a day, soon many other tribes joined us in uniting Britain, once again Arthus was set on making a new army ready to face the dreaded midland champions of Britain.

next chapter midland demons

Well hope you guys injoyed this chapter sorry if there are any mistakes and if you could tell me what was good about it and what could use improving i will be greatful
    Last edited by Mr.Man; 02-09-2009 at 19:26.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Well, I have a suggestion/comment. If you are typing your aar online, try using wordpad instead. Cut your paragraphs into shorter snippets, and watch your run on sentences. The aar is good and I much enjoy the battle scenes but the run on sentences make it hard to read. But other than that, good stuff so far.

4x
    1x

Well u do need to use spell check and grammar check. Bit other than that good work.

My balloons:

The Midland Demons:

It has been 3 winters since we attacked the dumnones ever since we have improved their farms and gave them dirt paths, many of them wanted to help us, to join Arthus on is campaign to unite Britain. When the army was able to regain its losses more chariots were taken with us this time, the farther we went the more tribes we subdued and when we asked them about the midland champions they looked at us with fear. They told Arthus that he was not up against men, but demons with strength equal to none and that they were the cause of death for many great warriors.

I and 3 other high ranked warriors tried to convince Arthus he turned around to us and said. Out of all my brothers there are only warriors if you do not have the courage of a warrior then you do not deserve to be called a warrior and should not be among my brothers. When he looked at me I swear to the gods he did not have the eyes of a man, but the eyes of a wolf it was at this moment I remembered what the druid said to me so many years ago. So I agreed with Arthus and convinced the others to follow him but it was unsettling that when ever we mentioned the midland champions that they all coward in fear just from there name. Surely there was no way the rumours could be true about them being demons in the shape of man? I talked to Arthus to try and put myself at ease about the matter. When I spoke to him I asked him surely these are just rumours to scare us that these men are demons Arthus turned and looked at me for a moment, thatís when I noticed his grin.

Dear friend there is nothing we cannot overcome, even the rough seas of the south could not stop our ancestors to reach this land. If these beings are demons then we shall overcome them and prove that the steal is far mightier than a few demons so put your heart at ease.

The next morning we came across the home of the Coritanes who were the so called demons, we quickly laid siege strangely it seemed like we were back at Ictis the home of the Dumnones, but we were up against a far greater opponent. When winter came around we prepared for battle as we were about to witness the full wrath of the midland demons brought down upon us.

Next chapter The Midland Demons (part 2)

Well hope you guys enjoy this, i released this one early as i will be very busy for the next 3 days, i would like as much feedback as possible to try and make this AAR better, thanks.
    Last edited by Mr.Man; 02-10-2009 at 18:42.

UMM do u know how to take screenshots?
    And do u know how to post them up on teh interwebz?

My balloons:

Nice AAR so far. I see you know Manowar a bit - I must admit that pat really fitted into the Story.
    ďSave us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.Ē - A prayer from the 10th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf Blackeyes View Post
    UMM do u know how to take screenshots?
    And do u know how to post them up on teh interwebz?
    I do know how to take screenshots and post them on the internet i just didnt have any decent pictures as i won my battles to easly becuase the AI is so bloody stupid lol.

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Consider using a harder battle difficulty? Or try some mini-mods in the sub-forum. They do make the AI less "stupid".

4x
    1x

The Midland Demons (part 2)
    As our men lined up ready for battle in the freezing cold, the gates swung open and spewed forth the midland demons, I swear when those gates opened the air itself froze, the men were faltering at the sight of these monsters. Arthus rode to the front once again and I expected nothing less from such a man but he did not come forth to give a speech, he charged the enemy lines alone!! Arthus through a javelin at one of the champions and struck him in the chest he lay their bleeding, Arthus came back to the troops and his words destroyed all fear of the champions. Men there is no need to be afraid, these are not demons they are humans there blood is as red as any of yours If they are demons then they die as easily as any man. As if by some kind of sorcerer the whole army was in a frenzy once again but the thing that made me uneasy was these foes didn’t even flinch they just marched at us as if they knew no fear.

They charged our lines in a frenzy but we held our ground, many brave warriors were cut down in almost an instant, their armour was tougher than any of ours. One swung for my head I barely blocked it has his sword scratched my helmet and made a terrible screeching noise, as he drew his sword back for another strike I quickly lunged my sword into his chest only to find it had been deflected by his armour. The next strike from the champion had sent me flying backwards knocking a few brothers down with me I scrambled back to my feet only to be knocked down again by the champion. I was starting to see why they were called demons this strength is inhuman, our line was starting to falter, I scrambled back on my feet once again and struck the champion as hard as I could and hit his sword out of his hand. The champion weapon less used his shield to smash me round the face and once again I was on the floor, the champion dived on my beating round my head with his shield I thought it was over until a brother came behind him and severed his head. I held the line with my brothers we refused to be pushed back anymore this was when I noticed a battle that stood out in the battle field, Arthus charged the chariots at the enemy chieftain and his champion guards. The chariots smashed into the chieftain’s retinue crushing many champions, Arthus threw his javelin at the chieftains chest, amazingly a champion dived in the way to save the chieftain. Many warriors leaped off the chariots and slaughtered some of the champions with ease, it almost seemed as if the warriors made a hole where none of them would go as Arthus and there chieftain stepped into it.

Arthus threw his axe at the chieftain taking a chunk out of his shield, Arthus quickly picked up another axe from a dead brother and swung for the chieftain. His axe bounced off the chieftains large shield knocking both back before they both charged each other again, the chieftain swung for Arthus’s head taking one of the horns on his helmet clean off as he ducked. Arthus quickly arose and cut the chieftains shield in half. Arthus took his chance and lunged his sword into the chieftain’s leg and then struck him in the chest with his axe but the chieftain charged Arthus fatally wounded. It was amazing both warriors refused to die Arthus unarmed broke the last horn off his helmet and used it as a weapon charging the chieftain once again dodging the axe blow and ramming the horn into his throat. When the body of the chieftain fell, it seemed as if the battle almost stopped as everyone knew who had won between the two warriors. There whole army had dropped their weapons and bowed down to Arthus declaring him there new king, with this battle Arthus had on his side the most deadly fighting force in Britain. We had won at a high cost, many brothers had fallen to these champions the rumours were true they were unmatched in strength, with an army of these warriors one could be unstoppable.

It had been a long and tiring day from fighting the champions so we celebrated with food, women and drink it was a fun night the men were all having a wonderful time as we knew it would not be long until we set off once again. A few days later the chieftain turned up at the town we had conquered and offered Arthus his daughters hand in marriage with this Arthus would be next in line to rule the Casse and with this he would have all the power he needs to unite Britain.

Next Chapter: The wolf king
    Last edited by Mr.Man; 02-14-2009 at 15:33.

Yeah, you do need to work on your sentence structure, but other than that and a few gramatical errors, good job This is Arthus
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

The wolf king:

A few days later news had reached us that our chieftain was killed on the way back home by those still loyal to the chieftain Arthus had killed; well that was the excuse. Arthus didnít seem surprised by this almost as if he knew it would happen, some suspected him but many didnít voice their opinions as it could possibly lead to be exiled from the tribe or worse!

Arthus returned to our homelands to be crowned the high king of the Casse and all those he conquered, many rejoiced as he was crowned as they believe he would untie the Britons. Arthusís first act as high king was to redesign the armour and weapons for his troops, he told the armourers to carve the head of a wolf onto the helmets and shield. He soon redesigned the banner that represented the Casse, it was a wolf sitting on a hill looking up, none of us knew why he chose to redesign the banner in such a way but we didnít question him. Soon after he demanded specially made armour for him, it was of the highest quality it was similar to chainmail but it was lighter, the scales were much smaller and there were many layers which made it tougher than normal chainmail. His gauntlets were thick around the top of the wrist, hand and a small part of the arm not even reaching the elbow, he had fangs graved into the gauntlets almost as if to represent the fangs of a wolf and that these were his fangs. His helmet was a bronze gold similar to what the champions of the Casse wore, it had a wolf head carved into the sides of it and at the very front it had Champion of Andastre carved into the helmet.

3 winters later Arthus was marching us for war once again, we were to bring all of the midland champions under our control, to do that we would have to go farther than any of us had been before and march to the end of the our known world or meet our gods trying.

enjoy

Next Chapter: The Land of the Dragon

The Land of the Dragon:

On our journey to the top of the world we heard of a land west of us, Rumours say that it is ruled over by a serpent of such a size that it could shake the very earth itself and that its wings were the size of mountains! Arthus was intrigued by this and decided that he would slay this so called serpent god, we marched for many nights until we finally arrived in the serpent gods land. We set up camp for the night by an entrance to a valley, as the sun started to set I noticed Arthus on a nearby hill overlooking the valley, he seemed to be almost scanning the valley for any sign for the dragon or its followers.

At sun rise we set off through the valley it took us a long time to get through it, when we reached the other side we came across a farm Arthus, me and 10 others of Arthus’s retinue rode to the farm. When we arrived the residents attacked us after seeing our banner, they must have known we were here to conquer them Arthus ordered us to bury them nearby. As we looted the farm for supplies a small boy ran at Arthus with a knife, my brothers simply laughed as the child ran past them at Arthus. Arthus quickly grabbed the boy by the arm and pinned him to the floor, Arthus suddenly picked up the boy at threw him to me he said take care of the boy and find out about the dragon.

Later that night we set up camp near a mountain side over looking flat plains that went on for as far as the eye could see, all of the chieftains were gathered in Arthus’s tent. We brought the boy in and questioned him about the called serpent god, the boy told us it was countless winters ago long before any of us were born that a serpent ruled this land. The god fell in love with a mortal woman and not long after a child was born, he looked human apart from his inhuman strength and cunning. Eventually the son wanted more power, so he fought his father so he could take his power and become even stronger.
    The two thought for many nights until the serpent was slain. With his dying breath the serpent cursed his son so that with every generation his family they would loose more and more power and that they would for ever have a short life. Arthus let the boy go and gave him a message to deliver to his king, only one may rule who, will it be, the serpent or the wolf.

Many days later we arrived at the Serpents home where their so called god king resided, Arthus had us siege the city on the second day hoping that the king would ride out and meet him. One winter had passed, it was coming up to the second winter as the leaves started to fall, there seemed to be a lot of noise coming from behind the city walls, Arthus had us ready to meet the enemy on the battlefield.

Next Chapter: Wrath of the Serpent
    Last edited by Mr.Man; 02-17-2009 at 17:07.

Good job. I have a recomendation, which is that you make your updates longer.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

Wrath of the Serpent:

Our army was positioned in the open waiting for the bloodshed, the enemy army was marching at us but their king wasnít in sight! The enemy charged our lines hoping to break our brothers but we were veterans of many battles and we would not be pushed back by such a flimsy charge. The battle was fierce, no one was giving ground I cannot remember how long that lasted it seemed like days, When ever we killed one of the enemy there was always another to take his place. I charged forward and severed a manís head; almost instantly another man took his place I could tell this wasnít going to be an easy fight. Two enemy champions charged me, both swung their swords at me franticly trying to slice through my limbs; I deflected one and avoided the other I lunged at once cutting his through his shield and slicing him across his chest his guts spewed out all other the floor, the battle cryís drowned out his screams of agony. As I looked up I realised why there were so many there whole army was focusing on breaking through the middle, it was possible the most stupidest thing any warrior could do, we could easily surround his army and cut them to pieces, yet why did he choose such a stupid tactic?

Arthus took this chance and charged the army around their sides, this would not be a battle it would be a massacre unlike any other. As the left flank of the army come around to attack suddenly some troops split off from the main battle and charged the left flank in an attempt to delay them. Our line began to falter under the sheer number of the enemy warriors there was just no end, one warrior charged me, he threw his axe at me which I blocked with my shield and then quickly brought my sword straight down on his head. Another man took his place and came straight at me, I stabbed him in the gut but he just walked through the sword as it came out the other side of him he fell on me. The man was no longer breathing so I shoved him out of the way, I shoved the next man back into his brothers knocking many down, and my brothers picked them off easily.

The men they had sent to try and stop most of our army was smashed to pieces as the chariots rode through, our brothers slammed into the side of their army with veracious strength smashing many to the floor from the charge.

Arthus commanded me to pull the brothers back around me as our line was shattered, as I turned to get away from the fight I felt a soaring pain across my back and fell to the ground, as I turned to look up I seen a man about to bring his axe upon my face when suddenly a javelin smashed him in the face and blood went everywhere. As I looked behind me my brothers came to get me back on my feet, me and my brothers waited momentarily so we could catch our breath back and cover our wounds.

The enemy general came to the aid of his men in his chariots; Arthus noticed this and had sent his chariots and the slingers at them to eliminate the biggest threat to his men on the battlefield, the so called serpent demi-god. It was an amazing sight to behold the chariots smashing into each other, the skirmishers dragging the charioteers off if they slowed down and hacking them to pieces. Arthusís chariot smashed the wheel of the enemy kingís chariot; the enemy king flew from his chariot crashing into the ground, Arthus leaped from his chariot and drew his sword awaiting the enemy king to do the same, I was about to witness the clash of two great warrior kings.

Next Chapter: Warrior of new vs Warrior of old

Pictures will be up tomorrow

Your grammar is improving that's a good sign you know.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2

damn it!

just when i am finally ready to start writing my AAR i notice a competitor

oh well, good luck with your AAR, i have only read the first two installments thus far but i will read the rest later

Quote Originally Posted by Roka View Post
    damn it!

just when i am finally ready to start writing my AAR i notice a competitor

oh well, good luck with your AAR, i have only read the first two installments thus far but i will read the rest later
    2 competitors actually. The Audic war 1 too.
    My balloons:

-gamegeek2