Poll: are you self-dependent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are you self-dependent?

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default are you self-dependent?

i am.
    i can do my own wash, dishes, sewing, ironing, cooking, shopping, ect.
    i am so ready for college!
    how about you?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: are you self-dependent?

College is all about cheap alcohol and loose women. Everything about academics is a lie. I took no notes and dont study at all and still pulled a 3.2. Granted I'm a genius but still.

As for being self dependent Im not. My laundry gets done maybe once a month. My teeth often go without a good brushing. The rats have moved out. Every night before I go to bed I sob for my mum. My diet is atrocious. All I think about is weights, booze and how Im going to get laid. I spend allot of time on the ORG when I should be sleeping or studying.

Other than that I'm pretty well adjusted.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

semi independant. I have me job, I run my business, have joined several groups, can cook good pizza, do dishes, run errands, and actually study for college, and make a 4.0, and when I don't study, I make a 3.5(you hear me strike?)... I also clean myself obsessively, and people think I best fit in the prussian army, thats the discipline level.

that said, I let my family do the laundr for me, and drive me around: I can't drive because I can't get a license, as my left eye isn't good enough by law.

EDIT: the 3.8 was my cumulative. damned math.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 02-08-2009 at 05:47.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

whoa. ibrahim- long time, no see!
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    whoa. ibrahim- long time, no see!
    where were you in the EB2 forumz?

been helping Moros in the saba'yn stuff. been busy with real life too.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

heck, ive been here and the backroom. moved on from EB....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

In a situation where I'm forced to (university next year) I will be able to do most things. I don't now simply because my mother does things better, cooks healthier, and is overall just really nice enough to help in my last year at home.

Next year I'll be in Europe with an entire ocean between me and anyone that will help me. I will have to begin then...

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I can do everything except cook, but I don't clean my own clothes and all because my mum does it (I do know how to, however).
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I'm hoping to go to Colombia University in a few years. It is a good school, and is within an hour's subway ride from home! Bwahahahahaha!

So self-sufficiency won't be necessary.

Thumbs up Re: are you self-dependent?

I can cook simple food, such as fried baloney, chili, etc. supplemented by canned foods (enough to satisfy an Indian on a poor rez), can keep my clothes in good condition, and can clean quite well (when it's your turn to be sober so your cousin can get drunk at a party and miss the toilet at home in the early hours of the morning, you kind become an expert). I'm also awesome at shopping for clothes, and have the most stylish t-shirts, fancy casual-dress shirts and the like. I'm alright at shopping for food and other such essentials, but people notice I sometimes miss sales declared in very bold letters on a nearby sign.

I have a good job, too. Old people give me great tips.

I'm not good at dishes, though. Never tried doing it too often, no dishwashing machine. Other people do it for me.

Blog Entries

Not really very dependent, can cook basic things and sleep oh and i can bathe by myself.

Finding clothes is too complicated, Meth. If I can't find stuff on the internet, then I'll just always dress like this:

Well, I live alone, but I gotta say kinda as I cannot really live from the money I earn with my student job.
    Also my mom washes my clothes, would do it myself but I'd have to invest into a washing machine or somesuch and that would be too expensive, my mom really appreciates that I come every second weekend anyway and usually wants me to stay as long as possible.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I live on my own, but 10 minutes from the mom so I love comming over for a cup of coffee with a bag full of laundry.

I used to live by myself, work, go to school. I hate doing laundry, so I end up doing like once a week. :P I love cooking though, so I usually have my self a delicious meal each day. Other than breakfast I live off of canned fish and bottled tea. :P It is harder for guys than most people know. The first time I did my laundry I put in black socks, white socks, white T-shirts, and black night shirts. When I got it all out I had grey socks, grey socks, grey T-shirts, and grey night shirts. :P
    What I ended up doing was having my girlfriend move in next door, and I would start her car for her, fix her computer and car, fix her sink, etc, and she did all my laundry and cleaned my bathroom. :P Now that I am in Hungary though, I gotta start doing it all myself. I forgot how irritating it was to vaccum floors, clean bathrooms, and do laundry. :P Everything in Europe is so damned different, that I gotta learn it all over again. :P I am thinking I may just hurry up and tie the knot when I get home, then I would never have to do my own laundry again. :P
    So I guess I am, but not willingly. :P
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well financially I am completely dependent on my parents. But in the house I do nearly everything for myself, the only thing I can think of that I don't do is the laundry.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Financially I am completely dependent, but based on your definition I am completely independent.

Oh and by financially dependent I mean I have a job, don't make much money, have savings, and could never put myself through college without my parents' help, but I foot the bill for pretty much anything else, especially when I'm at school.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Very independant at uni, but don't really cook anything but microwave food (but I do my own laundry etc.)

financially i'm dependant on student loan + job, so not sure if that counts

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

College isn't as hard or complex as you are led to believe by High School. In fact I dare say, aside from finals, its the easiest period of schooling I've ever experienced. I'm self-dependent in the fact that I do my own laundry and make my own meals, that sorta thing.

I don't work regularly but I recently landed a job as a freelance tech for a company based in Arlington, Virginia/DC. I did a pretty good job on site, and i'm hoping it leads to more gigs.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-08-2009 at 20:09.

Exclamation Re: are you self-dependent?

I find uni is more difficult than high school. Larger essays, you practically have to do your homework so you won't fall behing, everything goes much quicker, so it's easier to fall behind. And the finals. Ooooh, they bad.

High school was a breeze. I got a couple awards at graduation without even trying, barely studied for finals. The only time I put in an effort was for the essays, all required to be only about a meagre 6-8 pages. Heh.

Hey, Monk! Don't forget to send me a gig of ram with a postcard, eh?

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

Somewhat.... transport is my major gripe. (and cleaning... I hate cleaning)

I'll need to be in 4 months...
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 02-08-2009 at 21:23.
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    Hey, Monk! Don't forget to send me a gig of ram with a postcard, eh?

Would if I could, Megas. Unfortunately one of the first things they teach you in IT is to regularly inventory what a specific case has. That way you can spot when someone is stealing stuff to use in their home machines.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eh. Mostly and mostly not. I'm highly independent in most things- I can cook a bit, I do laundry, when I need to grab something at the store, I can buy it myself(UNI books included ). However, I'm highly dependent on my dad in the sense that if I didn't have him doing paperwork stuff for financial aid, I'd be outta UNI faster than a camel army squishing a roasted cadre of knights in the desert.

EDIT: Per College- it aint that hard- I studied a bit and still pulled a 3.8 my first semester. This semester's definitely a bit harder though, probably the 18 credit hours I signed up for.
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 02-09-2009 at 00:47.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

I could be, but choose not to.

I pretty much pay people to do everything, ironing, washing so on so forth.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

How does college work, anyway?

Are there classes that you have to take every day, or do you just attend lectures?

Quote Originally Posted by desert View Post
    How does college work, anyway?

Are there classes that you have to take every day, or do you just attend lectures?
    Here in the states you schedule classes based on what you'd like to take. Those classes are only held during certain hours and on certain days. Therefore you may end up with a schedule where you go for only 2 days a week, but you go from 8am-2pm on those days. Or a schedule where you go everyday of the week, but for only 2 hours a day, and so on.

How many hours a week you schedule determines whether you're a part-time or full-time student. I think 12 credit hours a week is the minimum for full-times, below that and you're considered a part-time, which is a big thing concerning financial aid and health inssurance that requires you to maintain full-time enrollment.

As for the actual classes most i've taken have a lecture format, but also throw in lab days where you either spend most of the class period writing a paper or doing hands on work, ala my IT/networking class.
    Last edited by Monk; 02-09-2009 at 01:15.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I could be self dependent, if I got time, space and freedom. I got none of them atm

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I don't work regularly but I recently landed a job as a freelance tech for a company based in Arlington, Virginia/DC. I did a pretty good job on site, and i'm hoping it leads to more gigs.
    Welcome to the machine.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    i am.
    i can do my own wash, dishes, sewing, ironing, cooking, shopping, ect.
    i am so ready for college!
    how about you?
    Same here. The only thing I don't have is enough capital to move out. And I don't think I'll be able to for a while yet.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

ha, i'm gone thirty so i'd better be!
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast