Thread: Ireland

Default Ireland

When should we see Ireland because i think they would offer an interesting faction to play as ya know maybe a mod focusing on the Irish war for Independence Thoughts
    There Can Only Be WAR!!!!!
    I bid You Stand Men of the west

this is my army

Default Re: Ireland

Ireland would only be emerging and they wouldn't appear at any set time.
    Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Have the strength of Arnold Schwarzenegger, the voice of Billy Mays and the ability to produce bull**** at a moments notice and you can be the leader of anything.

I'm pretty sure that Ireland and Scotland will both be emergent factions if the conditions are right. Supposedly there are no more standard grey rebels anymore. So I assume if you cause unrest in ireland they appear.

I'm sure someone will mod them in as playable but I don't think they will be in the vanilla version.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Or, go to war with England and invade Ireland and "liberate" them if thats possible. I think in the Steam FAQ it states that if you play with France and you invade Ireland you get a special unit, but I may be mistakend.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 02-15-2009 at 08:02.

Bulkeley’s Regiment: this unit is available when playing as France and/or controlling Ireland.
    So I assume it is a irish regiment fighting for france.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Oh man, my first action when I get around to playing the Brits is to piss off either Ireland or Scotland as much as possible, just so I can have the pleasure of taking over the world as either of them.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

Ireland NOT playable!
    Hmmm looks like I'll be modding that!
    Scotland too!
    I'll have too learn how to mod really good, obviously with my trusty cup of tea

Newtownards, Co.Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

This could be said for any of the emerging factions, i would love to rebuild the eastern roman empire with greece.

"Where some states have an army, the Prussian Army has a state!"
    - Voltaire

"There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."
    - 1st Duke of Wellington, Arthur Wellesley

No place like home.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Rhyfelwyr‘s proposed mod The Glorious Revolution deals with this subject.

Maybe you would like to take a look?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=111472

I want to see it very much.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 02-15-2009 at 13:54.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I think the mods for ETW are going to be awesome, I never downloaded any for MTW2 but i'm ready to with ETW

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Yeah my mod will be fantastic!

Ireland and Scotland (as CA plans to represent them) will probably be joined into a single Jacobite faction. Plus there will be the possibility of other factions arising (eg a Scottish Covenanter faction, maybe an English Parliamentarian faction etc).
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

this will be sick when i play them in a mod
    There Can Only Be WAR!!!!!
    I bid You Stand Men of the west

this is my army

Is there a way to play the 13-star-ed US or France and invade England, and take Ireland, and give it to the Irish, but then it's their own country? Like even though you took it, it won't be American territory or French territory, it will be Irish. Not a second-tier or third-tier territory like Puerto Rico to the US, but entire independent and Irish. Not a protectorate, which is more like a colony, but just their country. Your faction would get a 100-year fixed alliance and trade relations, that's it.

Otherwise, ETW will be like a better-graphics rehash of RTW and M2TW.

Also, it would be great to be able to increase the literacy rate and preach religion in a part of the world, to increase their civic virtue, and then bring about representative government but then the US, unlike the British, just let them be their own country (like how I described Ireland). Like, if I could play the US and actually do the American rhetoric (they are seemingly doing so in Iraq), that would be great.

Also, if I could emancipate the slaves as the US (before Gettysburg 1862), that would be great. But better if it's not just some thing clicked on the interface and that's it, there would be social implications. If it's not in the first ETW, could it be in the expansion?

Also, it would be great to be able to give troops and fleets to allied factions. Also the ability to send a diplomat and ask to build roads, buildings and ports for allied factions. And that would improve diplomacy with faction. With high enough diplomacy, it would be great to be able to go to allied territory and recruit some of their faction troops as well.

Also the little ships between ports in RTW. It would be great if they were merchant convoys that can be raided (what started the War of 1812). And if you help out another faction's convoy when it's raided by pirates, then you get better diplomacy with that faction.

Also it would be great to have a graphed diplomacy so you know how well you are doing with each faction.
    Last edited by ThePianist; 02-16-2009 at 03:11.
    Finished EB campaigns:
    Sweboz 1.0

Interesting to remember that Ireland's push for independance was the begining of the end for the British Empire, so your doing something wrong if they manage to start rebelling :P.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

The Irish campaign in 1689-91 between the supporters of Catholic James II and William of Orange cannot really be classified as a rebellion. James fled from England to France in 1688. He landed in Ireland backed by considerable French support the following year and began a campaign against Protestant enclaves loyal to William. William was unwilling to intervene in Ireland but the presence of James and particularly French troops forced his hand and he landed in Ireland with an army. He defeated James's forces over the following year.

Although the following century appeared largely peaceful, the widespread nature of the 1798 rebellion indicated that elements of the population were highly politicized and sectarian divisions still ran deep. The United Irishmen initially campaigned for reform of the representative system but from 1795 they became increasingly revolutionary. Nationalist Wolfe Tone made considerable efforts to gain French support but their attempt to land support was disrupted by bad weather. The authorities took the opportunity to launch an aggressive campaign of disarmament, thus when the rebellion eventually broke out in 1798 they were able to suppress it with relative ease.

Irish Nationalism got a later start than you might think. It was too divided and until the American Revolution most had not considered an Irish State other than O’Neal offering the Kingship to James V/I while he still held only Scotland. Most were much more loyal to religion and ties to England and later Scotland where Nationalism got much earlier starts.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Addition: I could have put this in the development thread I posted in a few seconds earlier. But it's better that all my game suggestions are on one page, as much as possible, rather than scattered.

So I also thought:

It would be great if the AI could be toggled in the middle of a campaign, such as easy-medium-hard. So that if you start a campaign and it's too difficult you can switch on an easier AI, and if it's all easy and nothing happens you can switch on a harder AI.
    It would not be a very attention-getting feature, but it would be very useful. Certain other games have it. If the game is already in disk-printing stage, then it could be added in a patch.

Happy developing. I don't know much about this hype thing, but I think Total War games are good, and good games do well merely because they are good.
    Finished EB campaigns:
    Sweboz 1.0