Thread: A new Battle Royale in the works

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Default A new Battle Royale in the works

A new Battle Royale in the works

Hi Ladies and Gents, I’ve been thinking that I’d like to host another Battle Royale at some point in the future.

For those that don’t know, Battle Royale is a role play game based on the Japanese film which has run a few times in the Gameroom. The previous Battle Royale games can be found here:

MkI – Hosted by GH https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=81080
    MkII – Hosted by pevergreen and myself https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84150
    MkIII – Hosted by Roadkill with a bit from me https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=102546
    MkIV – Hosted by Roadkill https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=104740

For those who have never played or heard of the game, read this spoiler:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The basic idea of Battle Royale is as follows. Each player is a Japanese school child who is forced to play a sick game by the government where they all get put on an island, given weapons and told to kill each other. In order to force these children to behave the children all have collars on their necks which the government forces can detonate at any time.

Only one person can win the game; by killing all his/her classmates… unless somehow the schoolchildren can find a way to deactivate the collars and rebel against the soldiers (this can only be done by a predefined method which will be very hard to work out).

The authorities force the players to engage with each other by introducing forbidden zones. The island is divided into zones and as the game progresses parts of island will become forbidden. Anyone who strays into a forbidden zone gets killed by their collar.

So how does this work in game? Each player has a certain set of stats, weapons and food and water. Each player PMs his/her orders to the host, who works out the results of their actions and sends them a reply explaining what has happened.

What happens is ultimately decided by the host, but the host decides the results based on your stats, weapons, health + the stats, weapons and health of any enemies, and most importantly, the strategy and detail of your orders.

For example, if one player with good survival skills and a club sends the host a message saying:

“Stay hidden where I am in G2. If anybody approaches, I will wait till they get close and hit them on the head with my club”

And a second player with a bullet proof vest sends the orders:

“Move to G2”

Then the result will almost certainly be that the first player will club the second. It isn’t only decided by tactics though; you also have to consider the ability of your character. If the first player had crap survival skills and the second player had a machine gun, a cricket/football helmet and amazing survival skills then it might go another way.

Good orders lay out a plan in detail. In general, the more detail the better; some orders in previous games were several paragraphs long. If you don’t put any effort into your plan the host isn’t going to do it for you, and you’ll probably loose.

The player is free to do anything which the host finds realistic. You can offer alliances, build defences, start fires, build a raft, whatever floats your boat.

Some players will be given special roles, which may give them partners or specific enemies. Some players may be crucial to deactivating the collars, whereas others may be government spies sent into the game to ensure this doesn’t happen.

So anyway, I’d like to host another Battle Royale, with a twist. I present Battle Royale – The Islands.

Two island groups:

As you can see the map has two main groups of islands, both with their own grid, locations and forbidden zones. Players are free to move between the two areas assuming they can find appropriate transport. Eventually, forbidden zones will force all the players onto one island.

The red target is the military base from which the game is run and it out of bounds to all players. Players attempting to approach this island will have their collars detonated.

Players who start in the South Western islands will be given a detailed map of those islands, those who start in the North East will be given a detailed map of that area. Otherwise, you’ll just have to find your way around. Some players may receive extra information on their maps, which can of course be stolen by other players if they can.

Day and Night phases

I like this idea. Each day would last 5 turns, three day phases and two night phases. The player should sleep for one turn each day to keep going at max performance.

Supply drops

I also like this idea. On some turns, players will be asked to vote in the main thread between a few potential supply drop locations. Supplies will be dropped on a parachute to the location voted for.

Teams

I’d like to introduce teams to the game. Players will be grouped into teams of 3 to 5 people who can win the game together. Temporary alliances can be made between teams, but ultimately only one team can win.

Assistant writers

The big difficulty with BR is that it’s a lot of work for the host to write all the descriptions. I’d like to ask for volunteers to write descriptive pieces for different parts of the map. These volunteers will be rewarded! They will be given additional information about the area they are asked to write about. If anyone want to do this it would make the write ups much more interesting (descriptive passages always add atmosphere) and would lighten the load on me.

So, if I were to host this game, who would be interested?

The South Western Islands:

The North Eastern Islands:

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A new Battle Royale in the works

I would be willing to help with description writeups. However, I would not feel comfortable getting an advantage in playing from it. Hence, I will abstain from playing.
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 02-09-2009 at 01:49.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks awesome! You know I'm in, Myrd.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

You can still play and I will put you in a starting location far away from the area you described if you wish.

Personally I think it would be a fair reward for helping with the write up. You of course won't get information like what objects might be there, the information you would get would regard the layout of the area, so that you can write a description.

Those who want to help but really don't want any extra information at all can always write descriptions of storm weather, of the sea, of generic tropical forests... There's plenty you can do.

Of course, don't post any description you write in public, send them to me by PM.

EDIT:

Also, if anyone really enjoys writing and would like to co-host and write descriptions of the action and help decide battle outcomes, you're more than welcome!
    Last edited by Myrddraal; 02-09-2009 at 01:49.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Battle Royale!! GASP!!

Not that being a Japanese my self freaks me out every single time I even think about Battle Royale (It does..) but I don't think I got time to play from now on.. If I manage to fail my Uni exam on 25th, Ill be more then willing to join this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Blog Entries

Eh...

I won't make any promises on whether I play or not. Regardless, I offer my services in writing.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Blog Entries

Myrddraal, I would love to co-host if you would allow it. It would be a great chance to practice my writing. Plus, I got plenty of time until I have to host another mafia game.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I am so in.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

seireikhaan, a co-host would be greatly appreciated

Blog Entries

sexy

Definitely in. Hopefully I won't die in the first round in this one.

OMG! battle royale was the first game i read up in the gameroom and what kept me here. I've been dying for someone to host so i can join. i will deffinately be in when the time comes for the game to be hosted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Act all cool and stuff, only taka knows about your true noobness.
    Tainted Evil, Reenk's synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    taka points his finger at iskander and says "pew pew pew". He then points his finger at atheotes and repeats the odd gesture "pew pew pew". The other gunfighters look at him oddly.
    Gunfight at the O.K Corral

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

I'll think about being IN

So close to being able to re Member boudica's Avatar
    Apon passing under the main gate:~ Turn right at the Blacksmiths' then pass by the Brewery ~ Head past the fish market, through the square and it's the big hall with the skulls nailed to the door.

Hello Myrddral, nice ta meechya

In principle - Very excited about playing
    In practice - Timing of the game will be everything.

If you can give a deadline and maybe a quick brief then I'd be happy to contribute some scene-setting

Follow the sorcerous carnage HERE!
    Come get your NEW RE_SIZED! Council of the Magi Teaser Sigs here!

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

For descriptions, are you talking about writing stuff while the game is going, or beforehand? If you want these things done before the game starts, are willing to assign specific 'sectors' which need descriptions, and can give more details (via maps or descriptions) as to what is generally in each 'sector' (i.e. lighthouse, gas station on a dirt road, small abandoned town of 5-10 buildings), I would be willing to do some of the writing.

The Champion who won with only stick and rocks... is BACK!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shlin28 View Post
    The Champion who won with only stick and rocks... is BACK!

Wha would the game be like without our traditional rivalry? This time I won't poison you with laxatives AND sleeping pills. I promise.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Innage. Battle Royale is awesome. 'Nuff said.

By the way, how'd you make the map, Myrddraal?
    Last edited by Chaotix; 02-09-2009 at 23:52.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Tis a shame that the previous one died off....

I'm definately in this one
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TevashSzat View Post
    Tis a shame that the previous one died off....

I'm definately in this one
    Well in the previous one, I had a barbed wire which was taken from me by a random with a gun, I was running from a crazy guy with a chain saw or something and I ended up diving in the raging ocean, almost killing my self..

I cant exactly say I had the best game

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    For descriptions, are you talking about writing stuff while the game is going, or beforehand? If you want these things done before the game starts, are willing to assign specific 'sectors' which need descriptions, and can give more details (via maps or descriptions) as to what is generally in each 'sector' (i.e. lighthouse, gas station on a dirt road, small abandoned town of 5-10 buildings), I would be willing to do some of the writing.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about (writing before the game starts). Your reward would be the extra info you receive in order to do the write-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotix27 View Post
    Innage. Battle Royale is awesome. 'Nuff said.
    By the way, how'd you make the map, Myrddraal?
    In previous games I ripped textures and bits of coastline from satellite imagery and (combined with some drawing of forests) made a patchwork out of them to create my own island.

This time however, I found some ready made islands on Google Earth (hence the 3D views of the island). If you can work out which islands I used, you get a balloon.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Didnt I blow up the general store?
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal View Post
    That's exactly what I'm talking about (writing before the game starts). Your reward would be the extra info you receive in order to do the write-up.
    Then feel free to contact me whenever you're ready to get the write-ups started.

So close to being able to re Member boudica's Avatar
    Apon passing under the main gate:~ Turn right at the Blacksmiths' then pass by the Brewery ~ Head past the fish market, through the square and it's the big hall with the skulls nailed to the door.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Then feel free to contact me whenever you're ready to get the write-ups started.
    same-same

Follow the sorcerous carnage HERE!
    Come get your NEW RE_SIZED! Council of the Magi Teaser Sigs here!

Definitely in! Hopefully I won't squander an arsenal consisting of every conceivable weapon this time.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

If the deadline is not too tight and if you don't mind typical errors from a non native speaker, then I can help you as well.

If possible preferably kill/failed murder attempts descriptions and dialogues.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

arrrgggg, im dying to know when this is going to be hosted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink View Post
    Act all cool and stuff, only taka knows about your true noobness.
    Tainted Evil, Reenk's synopsis

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    taka points his finger at iskander and says "pew pew pew". He then points his finger at atheotes and repeats the odd gesture "pew pew pew". The other gunfighters look at him oddly.
    Gunfight at the O.K Corral