Thread: Interview

Default Interview

Its been translated from czech so some parts maybe hard to read. Its not that big but its better than nothing.

http://translate.google.com/translat...or%2findex.asp

Default Re: Interview

Nice find! Not much new, but it's always great to hear any Empire news. Favorite (mis?)quote from the article "What was the biggest play in the development of nuts?" Am I not reading this right or what?

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConnMon View Post
    Nice find! Not much new, but it's always great to hear any Empire news. Favorite (mis?)quote from the article "What was the biggest play in the development of nuts?" Am I not reading this right or what?
    Sounds like something got lost in translation.

Good find! It's always nie to see new screens. Naval battles really look interesting. I say interesting because until we actually play them, we won't know how fun and practical they are in comparison to Land battles.

But like I said, they really grab the interest of a reader (at least mine)

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

This is a nice screenshot showing what appears to be a small village next to a river, with boats in the background.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Sir Beane- I'm willing to bet that "village" is the Jamestown settlement in Virginia, which would make that screenie from the "Road to Independence" campaign. Probably the very first 'city' any of us will see when we plug in the new game and hit "play"! I could be wrong, of course, but they've (relatively) recently found the original fort's foundations, and it is indeed a triangle shape, next to a river. We'll see within a month now, won't we?

Yeah scetchy tanslation.

"You need to send a priest to the neighboring country and convert its inhabitants to your faith"
    Does this mean there is a third character on the map? Missionaries, Rake, Gentlemen, and of coarse armies.

"For example, if you respect the principles of Hinduism, you get access to special units"
    Nice. So that means that you can get some units for some thing you do and not just through building a barracks. That is awesome.
    Last edited by Belgolas; 02-10-2009 at 05:56.

It's always hard to get a translation if your not a native speaker. It's just natural that laungage mix ups occur.

I did like it though, though kind of curious why all these turkish communities and czech are getting all these interviews and screens and I can't get a faction video?

Common CA, show UK, Europe or America some love to

Quote Originally Posted by Belgolas View Post
    Yeah scetchy tanslation.

"You need to send a priest to the neighboring country and convert its inhabitants to your faith"
    Does this mean there is a third character on the map? Missionaries, Rake, Gentlemen, and of coarse armies.
    this was mentioned in one of the other reviews and i asked the same question without any answers. Up until now we have been told there will be only 2 non combat campaign map units, however recent reviews have led me to believe there will be a religious unit AND a non combat naval trading unit possibly.
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

Quote Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
    this was mentioned in one of the other reviews and i asked the same question without any answers. Up until now we have been told there will be only 2 non combat campaign map units, however recent reviews have led me to believe there will be a religious unit AND a non combat naval trading unit possibly.
    I honestly hope not. Religion could really have been portrayed differently than roving priests converting countries in a matter of years. It takes much, much longer than a few years to convert a country from one religion to another, and generally more than one bloke doing it.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

What!

No!

Look at St. Paddy! Then look a Henry VIII. That was instant! Whoooosh you’re a protestant!
    Dissenters will be a foot head shorter.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

and this is an other reason i do not like the it department in the work, access denied on all pics the only thing i see is the translation.

cry with me someone:(

Intresting detail in the screen shot Sir Beane pointed to is that there appears to be cannon towers, which would be good
    ...whoever commands the ocean, commands the trade of the world, and whoever commands the trades of the world, commands the riches of the world, and whoever is master of that, commands the world itself..

"... it is a good thing to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others." Voltaire, Candide.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006556106

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

The building destruction in this shot looks really cheesy. Hopefully it looks better in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    The building destruction in this shot looks really cheesy. Hopefully it looks better in motion.
    Thats an old screenshot so hopefully the newer build of the game looks less like a house made of Lego collapsing.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Why are each of these links bringing me back to the same screen shot of the little triangular village? I'm not seeing demo or cannon towers or...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    I think I found the one you were speaking of, though this one led to the fort.

The physical model they used obviously lacked any internal structure, at least at the time of the shot.

The result was as though someone set off a fire cracker in a playmobil house and the various components popped out. All squares and rectangles.

The little fort is interesting, but what is more interesting is all of the ships you trap if you take it.

Odd ships though. Some look like some sort of odd Dutch Flutes with 4 masts. I will pass my inclination to get technical on the ships, however, and only say; that if ships could fire on troops, taking this fort would be no walk in the park.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    I think I found the one you were speaking of, though this one led to the fort.

The physical model they used obviously lacked any internal structure, at least at the time of the shot.

The result was as though someone set off a fire cracker in a playmobil house and the various components popped out. All squares and rectangles.

The little fort is interesting, but what is more interesting is all of the ships you trap if you take it.

Odd ships though. Some look like some sort of odd Dutch Flutes with 4 masts. I will pass my inclination to get technical on the ships, however, and only say; that if ships could fire on troops, taking this fort would be no walk in the park.
    They could be Fleuts. They will probably appear in the game as a merchant ship for the Dutch. If I remember correctly they were the first shIps to be mass-produced to a standard blueprint, and made cheaply to increase profits. If so it makes them a good candidate for a researchable technology.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    They could be Fleuts. They will probably appear in the game as a merchant ship for the Dutch. If I remember correctly they were the first shIps to be mass-produced to a standard blueprint, and made cheaply to increase profits. If so it makes them a good candidate for a researchable technology.
    The ships lines do look like it, but I have never seen a Flute pictured with a jigg mast after the mizzen. The stubby mizzen mast is a characteristic of that ship type.

Mark Twain

The ships lines do look like it, but I have never seen a Flute pictured with a jigg mast after the mizzen. The stubby mizzen mast is a characteristic of that ship type.
    Perhaps the distance model for the ship is less accurate than the up close model? Or maybe the ship is a merchant ship that has been modified by pirates or commandeered as an emergency war vessel?

Or maybe we are getting carried away over-analysing a throwaway screenshot.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . ----------------------

Perhaps the distance model for the ship is less accurate than the up close model? Or maybe the ship is a merchant ship that has been modified by pirates or commandeered as an emergency war vessel?

Or maybe we are getting carried away over-analysing a throwaway screenshot.
    They have said 25 ship types in game.

Some of these will most likely be different gun rates in some of the classes.

I heard how many land unit types in the game too. But that was in the German video and I have forgotten. All I remember is “gosh! That is a lot!”

Sorry for analyzing the ship type too much…it is a hard habit to break. It comes from my old line of work…and maybe from to many submarine sims…

It should be fun for you to figure out what the 25 ships are though. You might even go back to ships and boats and things that float…

Mark Twain

For me the ships are looking like galleys ("peregrine galley") or some of the yachts from this age. Anyone ever seen a picture of the "Royal Caroline" or equal ships? They were used as fast cruisers between England and the colonies in 18th century.

The hull seems a bit long for a Flute (overall proportions ...). Or it is the CA answer No. 236 for intrusive questions: "It's from a old build - we changed all ships 34 weeks ago"
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Avatar made by Durango Signature made by 777Ares777 and proudly used by Marten!

Quote Originally Posted by Marten View Post
    For me the ships are looking like galleys ("peregrine galley") or some of the yachts from this age. Anyone ever seen a picture of the "Royal Caroline" or equal ships? They were used as fast cruisers between England and the colonies in 18th century.

The hull seems a bit long for a Flute (overall proportions ...). Or it is the CA answer No. 236 for intrusive questions: "It's from a old build - we changed all ships 34 weeks ago"

It could be some kind of galley but the jigg mast throws me.

It seems a little slender for a flute and I must say I was going on the rigging.

They are not ship rigged. They look like merchant men and the shot could be early Jamestown.

They are ships with stubby mizzen masts and even shorter jigg masts and a very high poop. I guess we may find out some day.

It wouldn’t be the first time I miss identified something…

Mark Twain

It could be some kind of galley but the jigg mast throws me.

It seems a little slender for a flute and I must say I was going on the rigging.

They are not ship rigged. They look like merchant men and the shot could be early Jamestown.

They are ships with stubby mizzen masts and even shorter jigg masts and a very high poop. I guess we may find out some day.

It wouldn’t be the first time I miss identified something…

Nope, you are right about the merchant man. I knew i've seen one of these ships anyhere ... here it is:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images..._59.534.23.jpg

Pieter Bruegel painted it, so it was a real used ship type. Description is: 2 ships of war and a 4 masted merchant.
    Von der Woge, die sich bäumet, längs dem Belt am Ostseestrand; Bis zur Flut, die ruhlos schäumet, an der Düne flücht'gem Sand;
    Gott ist stark auch in den Schwachen, wenn sie gläubig ihm vertrauen; Zage nimmer, und dein Nachen wird trotz Sturm den Hafen schaun!

Hmmm they look like galleons to me honestly. The sort of galleons the English and Dutch used, with small bow castles.

Like the Ark Royal...

Last edited by Lusitani; 02-11-2009 at 20:37.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Nope, you are right about the merchant man. I knew i've seen one of these ships anyhere ... here it is:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images..._59.534.23.jpg

Pieter Bruegel painted it, so it was a real used ship type. Description is: 2 ships of war and a 4 masted merchant.
    Thats a "Nau" in my country...i suppose a Carrack in english.

I suppose that different denominations for certain ship types can make it all a bit confusing. For instance Marten spoke of galleys...but those werent used on transoceanic voyages...a galleass perhaps (thats basically a galeon or a carrack with oars also) but i still find that unlikely.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

What was the biggest play in the development of nuts?
    I shouldn't have laughed, but I did.

Ah, those crazy Poles. What will they come up with next?
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    Thats a "Nau" in my country...i suppose a Carrack in english.

I suppose that different denominations for certain ship types can make it all a bit confusing. For instance Marten spoke of galleys...but those werent used on transoceanic voyages...a galleass perhaps (thats basically a galeon or a carrack with oars also) but i still find that unlikely.

V.
    Lusitani, please do me a favour. Search for the Peregrine Galley like i did. I'm a bit confused ...

Here she is, isn't she a beauty?

Should be a later form of the galleon or somewhat "highly-developed galleon". Talking about ships isn't easy for me when it comes to naval terms ...

The Nau is also known as "Hulk" in the baltic sea and northern european. You see, that is the challenge: Almost equal, but given 3 different names.

And there "he" is:

The "Eagle of Lübeck" (or in German "Lübscher Adler"), built in 1567 and the designated flagship in the war nordic war against Sweden.
    Not in the timeframe of Empire, but look at the rigging ...

It is a mixture of Nau, Holk (or Hulk), Carrack or Galleon as it was common in that age. Remember, the shipbuilders were working almost
    without any kind of blueprint.

Lusitani, please do me a favour. Search for the Peregrine Galley like i did. I'm a bit confused ...
    I am opening a new topic on ships from the 15th Century onwards...as this one is slipping to the offtopic too fast :)...got a Peregrine Galley for you Marten.
    Its called Age of Sail.

V.
    Last edited by Lusitani; 02-11-2009 at 23:29.