Thread: Artillery

I reside in the state of North Carolina and sometimes Johannesburg South Africa.

Default Artillery

I haven't been able to find a discussion on how artillery projectiles will work in ETW. I know CA is modeling the projectile flight path. My question is will the impact be realistic? If round shot was used at range from directly ahead only 2 - 4 files could be hit by a single round. If the same shot was used at an angle, the shot could be much more effective because the numbers of files that could be hit increased as they came closer to friendly lines. Will the impact model take this into account?

Sorry if this has been brought up before. The only thing I could find was about an attack area function.
    A weapon is a tool for changing an enemy's mind.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: Artillery

Since that already was taken into account in earlier titles I'm pretty sure it is the same in ETW.

CBR

I reside in the state of North Carolina and sometimes Johannesburg South Africa.

Artillery in MTW2 only really hits a single unit, unless they are all bunched on top of each other. What I'm trying to refer to is a grazing shot that skips through a line of soldiers leaving a bloody mess in its wake.

Well it might depend on what type of artillery? Some shots did not have power enough to penetrate more than one soldier. Or something is just screwed up in M2TW.

CBR

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I've had bouncing shot go straight through a line of men in Medieval 2, frequently in fact. Perhaps it depends on what version you are playing? Serpentines are especially good at doing this.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

That may be. I rarely get to the better gunpowder units in MTW2. When I do, there's usually no one left to use them on. Maybe I just never see the effects on massed troops in formation. I guess I'm looking forward to having gunpowder from the start in ETW.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Shot DOES bounce in MTW2. However, the distance between bounces is so great, and the angle of the bounce so high, that you'd have to be insanely lucky (or have a very nice opponent who is good at math) for a shot to hit multiple units on a bounce.

What CA needs to do is rig up a model with a lower angle of bounce, so that shot can bounce through multiple units if fired at the correct angle.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scipiosgoblin View Post
    That may be. I rarely get to the better gunpowder units in MTW2. When I do, there's usually no one left to use them on. Maybe I just never see the effects on massed troops in formation. I guess I'm looking forward to having gunpowder from the start in ETW.
    So am I . With Empires focus on gunpowder I'm sure the cannons will be as realistic as possible.

It will be nice to face an enemy that is also using gunpowder troops, rather than the traditional hoards of spear militia.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

Shot bounced in MTW too. So with 6 years experience in bouncing CA has no excuse not to make it good for ETW

CBR

As artillery has been brought up.....

For the first time artillery has more than one major projectile (ignore the specials on previous games). Judging by the sheer scale of the game we're seeing so far, do you think an artillery commander will automatically select the one best for a target? i.e. if an enemy is being hit with roundshot but keep approaching will the artillery automatically change to grapeshot at a certain distance or does that need to be done manually?

I thought this would be interesting because you don't want too much automation, however it would be a pain to keep pausing the game to micromanage artillery and Wellington/Napoleon/Washington left it to individual commanders to organise their individual guns......

Since you're bringing it up, it'd be pretty neat if they automated that stuff, but at least gave you the option of micrmanaging it. I think it would be insanely cool in skirmishes among smaller armies to be able to control individual division fires.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    Since you're bringing it up, it'd be pretty neat if they automated that stuff, but at least gave you the option of micrmanaging it. I think it would be insanely cool in skirmishes among smaller armies to be able to control individual division fires.
    Yeah, or better yet choosing what type of Company fire is used. I would love to be able to switch between a rolling company fire and a battalion-wide volley fire.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Beane View Post
    So am I . With Empires focus on gunpowder I'm sure the cannons will be as realistic as possible.

It will be nice to face an enemy that is also using gunpowder troops, rather than the traditional hoards of spear militia.
    yes now it will be a unit of musket militia who cant volley fire, shoot in all different direction and half the front line gets shot by those from behind :P
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"