Thread: Markets under powered?

Default Markets under powered?

Hi Guys,

It was the same in Vanilla RTW but why is it markets give very little in the form of an increase in trade?

I'm aware that they also give the ability to increase population as well as recruit spy, assassins and at the highest level a nice 10% happiness bonus but with what seem to be only an increase in 10+ money with each upgrade its hard at times to justify the investment.

Default Re: Markets under powered?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't every building that says "increase in tradeable goods" increase the maximum number of goods per trade route by one?

So if you started with no markets, the first upgrade might matter a lot.

Also, if you had a city surrounded by lots of provinces and containing a large port, every single trade upgrade would matter a lot.
    Currently playing as:

Want to play Europa Barbarorum on Barbarian Invasion? Read all about it!
    Thanks for the balloons!

Big Brother got you down? Join the Freedom Group on the .org!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

but if u don't have any trade rights.... that was your problem... try to not at war with all your neighbours, so you still have some source f extra income...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or conquer all the cities in the Med. Sea. Sea trade makes a lot of money even if there are no other factions that you could trade with.

Sitting on a chair in front of a computer screen.

SeaIbn-Khaldun is right. Sea trade makes tons of money. I'm playing as the KH and I have taken the turkey and the sea trade has made me very wealthy.
    Last edited by Antinous; 02-11-2009 at 15:52.

"Don't let the voice of the people be filled with anger"-Polybius

Sea trade is the only way forward. As the romani, I owned EVERY port in the mediterrean and my treasury was unstoppable. I actually built all those extensive port upgrades just to get rid of money.
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

I always wondered about the expensive port upgrades--- are they worth it?
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!

Quote Originally Posted by We shall fwee...Wodewick View Post
    I actually built all those extensive port upgrades just to get rid of money.
    Did it work?

I had posted this question in another thread, but I've since lost it:
    Will cancelling trade rights with a neutral or allied faction harm their economy, or just yours? Assuming that the AI does benefit financially in some way from trading with the player, is there any way of encouraging your markets/ports to trade with other, perhaps specific, factions and cities, or are trade lanes automatically calculated to be the ones which provide the greatest income? Do trade ships have limited range, and if so, can this be extended somehow? Is there a good way of predicting which trade routes will be the most valuable; is this dependent only on access to goods that [your city] doesn't have and vice-versa, or also on trade upgrades built by the AI?

Thanks. That was actually more than one question, wasn't it? Sorry

[edit: Novellus, Extensive x Port upgrades are sometimes worthwhile if your economy will support their cost and that particular city has nothing more important to be building over the next few years. They actually boost trade income quite significantly from what I've seen, though without allowing an extra fleet (obviously). One to consider if you have a governor with lots of trade bonuses, perhaps.]
    Last edited by soup_alex; 02-13-2009 at 02:38.
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Quote Originally Posted by soup_alex View Post

[edit: Novellus, Extensive x Port upgrades are sometimes worthwhile if your economy will support their cost and that particular city has nothing more important to be building over the next few years. They actually boost trade income quite significantly from what I've seen, though without allowing an extra fleet (obviously). One to consider if you have a governor with lots of trade bonuses, perhaps.]
    I never had the patience to wait long enough for them to be upgraded. I usually got sick of waiting, so I wanted to know if anyone had done so already.

Thanks.

Why did the Romans fall?

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

I've seen several Carthaginian towns with extensive port upgrades, and I haven't the heart to demolish them.

Oh, and off-topic, but if I have constructed the highest level barracks, but it is camillan. How to I upgrade it?
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

I don't think you can get it to the polybians. I think you have to demolish it and start again.

And those ports, I don't think their worth it given the cost. The thing was I'd built everything else and had gold coming out of my ears. I was by this point in time past 100bc
    Do you find something funny with the name Biggus Dickus?

in the EB PBeM

Noooooooooooo you don't have to destroy them, you'l get the option to upgrade'em in the building console.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Markets under powered?

Quote Originally Posted by Novellus View Post
    I always wondered about the expensive port upgrades--- are they worth it?
    To the best of my knowledge, they have the same effect as a normal upgrade, but at ten times the cost. So the answer is no, unless the city is really profitable and you have plenty of time for it to earn itself back.

BTW, You can check out the projected profit as a result of the upgrade in the city detail scroll: the shaded icons indicate the anticipated increase.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, they have the same effect as a normal upgrade, but at ten times the cost. So the answer is no, unless the city is really profitable and you have plenty of time for it to earn itself back.

BTW, You can check out the projected profit as a result of the upgrade in the city detail scroll: the shaded icons indicate the anticipated increase.
    Thank you. I always wondered about that.

Why did the Romans fall?