Thread: Characters on strat map

###### of the Gladiators Member neo_deus's Avatar

Default Characters on strat map

What files do I need to edit in order to change the characters on descr strat map? Only the descr_strat_file?

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Default Re: Characters on strat map

Depends on what changes you want to make.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Now that I read my thread I don't think I explained myself well.

I meant, to change the models and skins of the characters in the strat map all I need to to is to edit the descr_model_strat file?

Yes.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

If for some reason you want to change the Type name in Descr_Strat, you also have to go to Data\Descr_Character.txt and put the same name in the "strat_model" line for that unit.

For example, when I changed many of the Strap Map captains in ATW I used a different model for each of them. Because of that I had to create a separate entry in Descr_Strat for each one as well, with them all having a unique Type name. Then I had to go back to Descr_Character.txt and make each "strat_model" line point back to each new entry I had made.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

After I edited the descr_character file my changes worked.

What about the Generals and camptains on the battle map? I changed them too, but they're not working quite as I expected. The general's skin is not the one I chosed and the captain is always with the chariot animation, but since it doesn't have a chariot, doesn't move. It's quite funny, but not all that usefull.

Some models are tied to a specific skin, so you'll either have to use a skin with that same name or create a new model/edit the existing one. As for the skeleton, this is DMB-related, check again your general's model entry.

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Some models are tied to a specific skin, so you'll either have to use a skin with that same name or create a new model/edit the existing one. As for the skeleton, this is DMB-related, check again your general's model entry.
    But the skeleton isn't the one I chosed either. My main doubt here is on DMB, what files correspond to the generals? I think I edited the right ones, but I keep getting these odd results.

Make sure you are editing the correct line in descr_character for the battle map model/skin. Generals are under the "Named Character" section, Captains are under "general" (not at all confusing huh? ).

The "Battle Model" line in descr_character.txt points to the "Type" line of the unit in Descr_Model_Battle.txt.

Using the Generals for Amazonia as an example I have this for my descr_character.txt entry under "Named Character"

Code:
    faction	pontus
    dictionary		2
    strat_model		sm_amazon_general
    battle_model	amazon_general
    battle_equip	gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield

Then in Descr_Model_Battle.txt the entry for the Amazon General looks like this:

Code:
    type				amazon_general
    skeleton			fs_dagger
    skeleton_horse			fs_hc_swordsman	
    skeleton_elephant		fs_forest_elephant_rider
    skeleton_chariot		fs_chariot_sword
    skeleton_camel			fs_hc_swordsman
    indiv_range			40
    texture				pontus, amazon/data/models_unit/textures/amazon_general_pontus.tga
    texture				romans_scipii, amazon/data/models_unit/textures/amazon_general_scipii.tga
    texture				romans_julii, amazon/data/models_unit/textures/amazon_general_julii.tga
    model_flexi			amazon/data/models_unit/officer_amazon_general_high.cas, 15
    model_flexi			amazon/data/models_unit/officer_amazon_general_med.cas, 30
    model_flexi			amazon/data/models_unit/officer_amazon_general_low.cas, 40
    model_flexi			amazon/data/models_unit/officer_amazon_general_lowest.cas, max
    model_sprite			pontus, 60.0, amazon/data/sprites/amazon_general_sprite.spr
    model_sprite			romans_scipii, 60.0 amazon/data/sprites/romans_scipii_amazon_general_sprite.spr
    model_sprite			romans_julii, 60.0, amazon/data/sprites/romans_julii_amazon_general_sprite.spr
    model_tri			400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5
    You will also need check Export_Descr_Unit.txt and see what unit your faction has with the "general_unit" attribute. Make sure there is only one unit with that attribute. The game will use that for your Pre-Marian Generals. You should also have one unit with the "general_unit_upgrade" attribute for the game to use for your Post-Marian reforms Generals.

Finally, check descr_strat. The game uses whatever unit is listed immediately after a General for their bodyguard, regardless of what you have listed anywhere else.
    Last edited by SubRosa; 02-13-2009 at 19:36.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

Subrosa,

Thank you; more timely answers.