Thread: All Over for Dubai?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Post All Over for Dubai?

Read this, got interested. I know a couple of people who have made lots and lots of money by providing services in Dubai (lawyering, engineering, etc.). Is the party really over, and was it built on nothing at all?

People are literally fleeing this place, to date leaving 3000 cars stranded at the airport with keys still in the ignition. And the reason for this is that if you default on your Dubai mortgage, you can end up in a debtors prison.

As the article sums up early on:

Imagine proposing to build Vegas in a place where sex and drugs and rock and roll are an anathema. This is effectively the proposition that created Dubai - it was a stupid idea before the crash, and now it is dangerous.

I'd be interested to hear the Orgahs' opinions.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: All Over for Dubai?

That's a shame to hear as I am really impressed by this little country. I'll read the article. Thanks.

Edit: It's a little...short of details. I respect his opinion?
    Last edited by Vladimir; 02-17-2009 at 22:14.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

the NY Times had a lengthy article on this over the weekend. maybe they have it online?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    the NY Times had a lengthy article on this over the weekend. maybe they have it online?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/wo...2dubai.html?em
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I find that NYT article a bit confusing. Based upon what I've seen in a few specials and documentaries I was operating under the impression that Dubai did produce oil but not nearly enough for its citizens to enjoy the same crazy chic sheik life as its oil soaked neighbors. I thought Dubai's mammoth efforts to attract foreign tourists and expatriates (as well as the push to make it a major financial center) was a long term strategy to provide some kind of industry & revenue once the oil wells eventually dried up.

Loved this paragraph...

Now, many expatriates here talk about Dubai as though it were a con game all along. Lurid rumors spread quickly: the Palm Jumeira, an artificial island that is one of this city’s trademark developments, is said to be sinking, and when you turn the faucets in the hotels built atop it, only cockroaches come out.
    Mmm mmmm! Some protein with your water sir?

No matter, I could care less about the fate of Dubai and all those who tied their futures to it. Que sera sera, such are the risks of capitalism. Had Dubai taken a more conservative approach to expansion then it might be in better shape now that the global economy is in free fall. I guess only time will tell whether all those hotels, office buildings and those ridiculously massive man made peninsulas and islands off the coast were worth the expense. Successful or not Dubai put itself firmly in the Wonders of the Modern World list when it created those coastal monstrosities.
    Last edited by Spino; 02-17-2009 at 23:37.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    No matter, I could care less about the fate of Dubai and all those who tied their futures to it. Que sera sera, such are the risks of capitalism. Had Dubai taken a more conservative approach to expansion then it might be in better shape now that the global economy is in free fall. I guess only time will tell whether all those hotels, office buildings and those ridiculously massive man made peninsulas and islands off the coast were worth the expense. Successful or not Dubai put itself firmly in the Wonders of the Modern World list when it created those coastal monstrosities.
    Years later, on yet another subject Spino basically hits the nail on the head in a concise summary fashion that its hard to anticipate what the rebuttal might be.

There are few things more annoying than some idiot who has never done anything trying to say definitively how something should be done.

Sua Sponte

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Liberal alarmism. Dubai is to big to fail!
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Wink Re: All Over for Dubai?

In short term it ain't good.

Long term? Maybe not rosy, but it could actually work out for them if they do transparently and mercifully squeeze out corruption.

Imagine proposing to build Vegas in a place where sex and drugs and rock and roll are an anathema. This is effectively the proposition that created Dubai - it was a stupid idea before the crash, and now it is dangerous.
    As we all know the Mormans are so much into what Vegas stands for.

I think a better comparison would be trying to create Club Med XXXL not Club Med XXX.

PS
    Some of the biggest gambling sources/bookies are located in Dubai with regards to such things as cricket and horse racing.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 02-18-2009 at 02:43.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

I have nothing more to say, save that Spino got it. All vices have their own inherent punishment; the insanity that is Dubai is about to learn that in a big way, as far as I can see.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 02-18-2009 at 03:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post

I have nothing more to say.
    Fizz stays at my house. Thats the agreement.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Liberal alarmism. Dubai is to big to fail!
    Solution: We must Nationalise Dubai!
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Fizz stays at my house. Thats the agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Just because Im not in the chat doesnt mean you can lure him away!

Just because Im not in the chat doesnt mean you can lure him away!
    Dude, you can have him. I'm really not sure how my roommate would feel about a strange arab man staying in our room.

AKA Leif 3000 TURBO Senior Member Leet Eriksson's Avatar

Welcome to the bubble economy of dubai, the sheikhs here have brought this upon themselves.

Its far from over though, there are vested western interests here, though i do hope they drop their over ambitious dreams and start acting like a developing countries, and clean their human rights records.
    Texas is Gods country! - SFTS
    SFTS = The rest =

Awaiting the Rapture Member rotorgun's Avatar

I think I'll just go and take a nice Dubai before I turn in, and wipe it with the Dubai Ports Deal gone bad. Just don't anyone look back when you leave Dubai or you may turn into a pillar of poverty.
    Rotorgun
    ...the general must neither be so undecided that he entirely distrusts himself, nor so obstinate as not to think that anyone can have a better idea...for such a man...is bound to make many costly mistakes
    Onasander

Editing my posts due to poor typing and grammer is a way of life.

Of course it is over for Dubya. He left office last month. Get with the program.
    This space intentionally left blank

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

So what now, Dubai or not Dubai? This is an investor's nightmare!
    Last edited by Proletariat; 02-18-2009 at 06:14. Reason: when you take me out back and kill me for this stupid joke, make it slow and painful.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

If only they had sex and drugs, they might have been saved....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Well at least they made a great effort, the times aren't in their favor. Naturally they go down first. Hope these expats have the decency to pay their debts not classy at all.
    Last edited by Fragony; 02-18-2009 at 07:57.

This is definitely something to celebrate here in Abu Dhabi.

Dubai's Demise Day!
    Last edited by Paradox; 02-18-2009 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad I View Post
    This is definitely something to celebrate here in Abu Dhabi.

Dubai's Demise Day!
    Why? Dubai actually tried something instead of the usual arab fatalism, or is it that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Why? Dubai actually tried something instead of the usual arab fatalism, or is it that's why.
    It's because they never know when to stop, don't get me wrong, I go to Dubai almost every weekend but this has gone way too far. The fact is that Dubai was already in a safe spot, and the Sheikh succeeded in making it one of the most prestigious Arab cities.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29225263/

Plus, this is ridiculous. Their government is just too *clearly* corrupt that nobody even cares what happens to this city.
    Last edited by Paradox; 02-18-2009 at 08:20.

lol yes that's rediculous. You nobility or anything? Who has the money to go to Dubai every weekend that place ain't cheap, especially the booze ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    lol yes that's rediculous. You nobility or anything? Who has the money to go to Dubai every weekend that place ain't cheap, especially the booze ;)
    For da chics, not teh booze. And I live in the same country, I'd be crazy not to go there occasionally.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    If only they had sex and drugs, they might have been saved....
    There are the usual drugs of nicotine and alcohol in abundance.

And as for sex - Dubai is basically one big brothel.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In the UK the number of unemployed is increasing. The government has to pay their benefits, housing and a myriad of other costs.

In Dubai "thanks for your work. Now piss off".

Sure, the population and economy is shrinking - so is ours! We just have to keep all the unproductive people too.

Short term it's very, very bad. Long term I think it'll rebound.

If it doesn't I'll be trying to go to Quatar come the next "upturn that will last for 1,000 years!" (a phrase used by the next self glorifying Chancellor)

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

You are a bit too quick to write Dubai off...

...As any other services based place, its economy will suffer during a recession.

...As a very fast growing place, a large proportion of projects will be halted during a recession.

...As a place that experienced a population boom its unemployment levels will be high during a recession.

And of course when things bounce up it will dramatically grow. It is a well designed services and transportation hub and I do not see them facing too many problems post-recession.

The only reason that Dubai will inevitably fail and crumble to dust is that you have to walk 25 minutes inside their new airport terminal to get to the Irish pub (only 2 alcohol selling non-fancy-restaurant places in the terminal) and then you gotta pay a gazzillion dirhams for a pint of Guinness...
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/