7 19.44%
  • Allot more than she should

6 16.67%
  • GAH

6 16.67%

Thread: Mums

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Mums

How much control does your mum have over you?

Mine seems to have way to much, all she does is complain about me and threaten to "come up there" She doesn't let me grow beards and do all the other fun things the cool kids get to do.

Shes likely she makes good cookies or I would've sacked her a long time ago.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Default Re: Mums

Control? Really none, I haven't lived under my parents' roof for over 12 years. Influence? Both mom and dad still have a lot of influence on me, because I respect their opinions (due to them being wise old people, old being the operative word).

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

plenty-she won't take me to the dentist, she won't take me to get my eyes checked, she tortures me mentally, and she is downright annoying.

as to why I don't go myself: I explained that in the self dependant thread: I cannot legally drive.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

My mother has more than half-control over me, but it's not too much. I really could get away with a lot more because she is much more of my friend really. We joke around a lot and she's just all-around not bad at all for a parent.

Because of that I usually listen to her and do what she asks out of respect though. I'm going to miss her when I go to uni in Europe next year and will only see her once or twice every two years.

22 here.. so none.

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Virtually no control at all but pretty much influence, borrowing Whacker's distinction.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

She died 8 years ago. Ceded control over me 40 years ago. Influences me still, everyday.

I don't think I ever sent her a Valentine's Day card. Maybe I will this year. Thanks for the idea.

-edit-
    Oh, and: a lot. Two words. Meaning "much", or "often", or "many".

"Allot" = To parcel out; distribute or apportion. Just going on my own personal jihad against 'alot', and 'allot'. Soz.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 02-12-2009 at 06:37.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm away living on my own and soon to start a career. Little control, but lots of influence from my parents.
    She doesn't let me grow beards
    Scandalous!
    *strokes his beard thoughtfully*
    Or maybe she knows the world isn't ready for that much awesome packed into one man.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

That reminds me, it's been a while since I've talked to my mother.

I suppose a little, in that I'd pay more attention if she gave me advice than a random person off the street (or even most of the rest of m family, really...). On the other hand we don't talk much since she lives a couple thousand miles away (east coast, while I'm in Oregon).
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

19 here - and she controls more of my life than I wish she could. This last year has been huge for me and I've started to dig myself in a lot more. I don't ask for permission to go places as often I just say "Mum, I'm going out now." Progress is being made.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The Org is more versed in the mum spectrum than I once assumed.

On a side note I like to wake her up with text messages to which she replies "Im going to kick you in the head" heheheheh
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Askthepizzaguy Fan! Member Emperor of Graal's Avatar

I'm still young so half and half

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

I always do what my mother says I am 31 years old, but mommy is always right

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Barely any, what control she does have is based off my financial dependance on her and the fact i live at home... outside of that... no real control... i will usually talk some stuff over with her (only academic stuff really) and see if her advice is any good... which it sometimes is...

My mum rules!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly View Post
    My mum rules!
    So does mine, was always a bit odd to my friends smoking pot in my room with my mother comming in, tea anyone? And she's no progressive has never worn pants in her life, I really have a mommy-mom

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    She died 8 years ago.
    Yours too huh?
    2001 was first a good year, turning bad. My first-born came in may and barely met her grandmother. My mother died in July and the burial was on my 3rd anniversary wedding day.

Right now she has no influence on me, but my wife has filled some of that role, teaching me stuff my mum should have.
    Who would know that you shouldn't use fabric softener when washing your expensive gortex jacket?
    Status Emeritus

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

a little bit. when she asks me to do chores i do them, like wash dishes and sweep, but otherwise, nope. i couldnt be on the computer for hours and she wont say anything, but my dad will go bonkers if he caught me...
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Yours too huh?
    2001 was first a good year, turning bad. My first-born came in may and barely met her grandmother. My mother died in July and the burial was on my 3rd anniversary wedding day.

Right now she has no influence on me, but my wife has filled some of that role, teaching me stuff my mum should have.
    Who would know that you shouldn't use fabric softener when washing your expensive gortex jacket?
    What an odd coincidence. My 2 grandsons were born that year, too. Oh-One was certainly a year of change.

Quote Originally Posted by sfts
    On a side note I like to wake her up with text messages to which she replies "Im going to kick you in the head"
    My kinda girl, LOL.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

I stopped taking notice of my mam when I was about 14. I left home at 17 and never looked back since. Since I stopped about 35 years ago, none.

Note to self; must make time to go and see her. Shame I have to go to Manchester to do it!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I think the happiest day in both our lives was the day I moved out and went to college. We spent most of my teens butting heads and arguing. Once I moved out, our relationship improved instantly and we get along great now. All the stuff I hated her for growing up made me a better person though, discipline for the win.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

My mum was really strict up until a couple of years ago. I think she thought every second person on the street was a paedophile and everyone in my school was an alcoholic. So I never really got out much.

But she seems to be a lot less strict with my two younger brothers now (they do say parents do that don't they?).
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

My mums always been relaxed.

I think to be honest I see my mum as a testimony to liberal parenting. I know people with really over bearing mothers both now and when they were younger and they turned out a hell of a lot worse because of a strict upbringing than I did with a relaxed one.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Havent lived with my mum since i was 12. Novadays she is a severe alcoholic and i mostly only hear from her when she is asking money. Id rather remember her how she was when i was a child, rather then the wreck that is left from her these days.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Control, hmm, my parents controlled me a bit when I was <18 but after that they let me decide most things for myself, since I live alone now they don't really control me at all, they give me advice and support me but generally let me live my life but try to steer me in a good direction with advice.
    And both my parents also appreciate my advice in certain things, in fact my mom always tells me she likes to hear my voice and talk to me, she also likes to have me around and say it relaxes her, so maybe I actually got some control over her.
    We do respect and love eachother though so all is fine I'd say, there was a period though where I told my mom that I have to be on my own now, because she was uhm, caring a bit too much about my things, she understood and accepted that though, so all is fine as I said.

Well, except that I'm still lazy and slow...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I put none because none of the other options was that close. When I'm home she lets me borrow her car fairly frequently, but she almost never doesn't let me borrow it so she doesn't exactly have control over me. Especially since I'm at college and rarely at home. My dad is definitely much more of an influence for me.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Havent lived with my mum since i was 12. Novadays she is a severe alcoholic and i mostly only hear from her when she is asking money. Id rather remember her how she was when i was a child, rather then the wreck that is left from her these days.

Thats terrible, no child (or adult) should have to go through that!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Being that I am 32 and married she has no control. However her control has been passed on to my wife,
    Last edited by ByzanKing; 02-13-2009 at 21:59.
    Keep it secret, Keep it safe

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Hell, my ma never had any control over me; but then, it's kinda hard to have any control over a child you rarely see for more than an hour a day because you're either going to night school or (when that crap was over) staying at school until 7:00 at night. What in god's name keeps a kindergarden teacher in a classroom hours after the day is over, I never knew and probably never will.

My father, on the other hand, still gives me the occasional nightmare, even though he hasn't been a meanass sumbitch for years and we get along very well now. An Irish father with no mother around to moderate him is a very, very scary thing.

But on the other hand, I know how to treat my kids now.
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 02-14-2009 at 01:22.