Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 36

Thread: USS Constitution?

  1. #1

    Default USS Constitution?

    Is there a way for a US buyer to get both the USS Constitution and the Special Forces/Collector's Edition.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

    "It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

  2. #2
    The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Heanor, Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    1,724

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by NimitsTexan View Post
    Is there a way for a US buyer to get both the USS Constitution and the Special Forces/Collector's Edition.
    Order the game from Play.com and get it shipped to you. I think they will ship to the US (you may want to check though.)

    I imagine that certain US stores may offer special units, big ones like Wal-Mart etc. Youll have to check closer to release.


    ~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

    . -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------


  3. #3
    The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Just wait until the modders get a hold of the game.
    I imagine you'll be able to download packs of unique ships, units, and so forth pretty quickly. Unless the US navy steps in and says they have to pay to depict the Constitution.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

  4. #4
    Son of Lusus Member Lusitani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Olisipo, Lvsitania
    Posts
    265

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    ... Unless the US navy steps in and says they have to pay to depict the Constitution.
    That wouldn't surprise me actually. I remember when, probably the best WWII sim had problems with several US aircraft manufacturers due to the fact that planes over 50 years old were used in the sim.
    That was IL2-Sturmovik btw.

    V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.






  5. #5

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    For special additions just go to Gamestop and pre-order the game. Walmart will not take pre-orders they are walmart and they will only be getting in the normal 50 buck addition. It is 70 dollars for the pre-order and the only way to physically get the collecters addition here. Also a lot of small game stores like some in my area Gamers anonymous and Play N Trade will take pre-orders. Even though GA usually only sells NES SNES Sega PS1 and N64 games they do a few pc. Online or Steam is only other way but online has shipping costs too. Plus International shipping is always fun....
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

  6. #6

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Well I bought a game that had an exclusive edition only available in Europe and it had like 9 buck shipping and arived sooner then most stuff from the States (I live in Canada). Also I didn't have to pay brokerage fees. So I prefer to order from them if it is an exclusive to Europe.
    http://www.game.co.uk/search.aspx?pl...t=itemOrderasc

    You get a free unit for pre purchasing called the Death's Head Hussars.


  7. #7
    Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me actually. I remember when, probably the best WWII sim had problems with several US aircraft manufacturers due to the fact that planes over 50 years old were used in the sim.
    That was IL2-Sturmovik btw.

    V.
    Off topic - sorry to waste bandwidth.

    The issue there was that instead of using the a/c names like Wildcat and Avenger, UBI Soft went ahead and used the name Grumman Wildcat and Grumman Avenger. And Northrop-Grumman got all in a huff and claimed TM infringement (how they get to trademark the names of US taxpayer purchased stuff is anybodies guess). They worked out a deal in the end where they would not sue and have UBI remove the content - BUT - UBI just decided that this was the end of any american a/c additions to the franchise. So we missed out on a great looking TBD Devastator and a number of other a/c.

    A real shame.
    "Après moi le déluge"

  8. #8
    The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    That wouldn't surprise me actually. I remember when, probably the best WWII sim had problems with several US aircraft manufacturers due to the fact that planes over 50 years old were used in the sim.
    That was IL2-Sturmovik btw.

    V.
    I dont think the manufacturers of the USS Constitution are around anymore.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East of Augusta Vindelicorum
    Posts
    5,575

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    I dont think the manufacturers of the USS Constitution are around anymore.
    Sure they are…the US Government…though the shipyard is closed…


    Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

  10. #10
    The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,330

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Sure they are…the US Government…though the shipyard is closed…
    As I recall, it was built by a private company for the US government.

    Yup:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Hartt
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

  11. #11

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by NimitsTexan View Post
    Is there a way for a US buyer to get both the USS Constitution and the Special Forces/Collector's Edition.
    NimitsTexan,
    According to totalwar.com (under Pre-Order), the U.S.S. Constitution is available as an in-game download when E:TW is pre-ordered or purchased from Best Buy. However, I see no mention of that on the BB website.

    The totalwar site also shows that the Special Forces Edition can be pre-ordered via Steam. I saw no mention of the SF Edition on Best Buy's site but Amazon has both editions listed (no mention of the Constitution download though).

    There may be some other places offering the in-game download but the three that I mentioned are the only ones that I checked.

  12. #12
    Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    I wonder how the unit will differ from a ship of the line. What would motivate me to build the ship if its available when I can equally build a triple decked ship with more firepower.

    And where does it say the ship is a special pre-order thing? Cause I've seen this story about the special unit for quite some time.
    Last edited by Mailman653; 02-13-2009 at 07:33.

  13. #13

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Also we can rename everything so

    1st Rate 3 Deck ship

    type type type

    USS Constitution.

    Ta da!

  14. #14

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    I wonder how the unit will differ from a ship of the line. What would motivate me to build the ship if its available when I can equally build a triple decked ship with more firepower.
    Mailman, could it have something to do with the timing of when it's available in the game, specifically for the Americans? Maybe it's one of those things where the better ships aren't available for the Americans early in the game but then the Constitution eventually becomes obsolete.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    And where does it say the ship is a special pre-order thing? Cause I've seen this story about the special unit for quite some time.
    Not special pre-order but exclusive to certain retailers, like BB. In my post you'll see that it says "the U.S.S. Constitution is available as an in-game download when E:TW is pre-ordered or purchased from Best Buy." I looked at Gamestop just now and they don't show it, didn't see it on the Amazon listing either. It's really hard to tell what the picture shows on the BB website but there is something in the upper right-hand corner that I didn't see in the package pictures on other sites.

    On the page linked below CA/Sega show it under Pre Order a Box Copy in Retail but further inspection shows that it doesn't have to be pre-ordered from them, as in the quote in my last paragraph.

    A Google search showed that Play.com is supposed to have the exclusive in the UK. I actually noticed that when I was searching for retailers that were carrying the download in general to see if there were any other US retailers.

    Source: http://www.totalwar.com/empire/gameinfo/pre_order.php

  15. #15
    Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East of Augusta Vindelicorum
    Posts
    5,575

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    @NimitsTexan

    All that I have seen says that Play.com has exclusive rights to the ship.

    All I can suggest is to call and ask about the shipping. I asked the question when I first saw it, why a UK company had the rights to her…

    @Mailman653

    The American 44s were fast and heavily built. They are expellant raiders and can out run almost any ship at sea.

    One of the 44s caught and captured the fastest ship in the French Navy (and the French had the best ships built in Europe at the time) If there were a faster ship, say in the British Navy, it was surely captured from the French.

    Cost and need dictate what ships you build. If you think you have the money and time to build a navy that can rule the sea then you go for the Ship of the Line type. If you have to be a stealthy raider you build squadrons of frigates to hit weaker ships and run from the big boys.
    Last edited by Fisherking; 02-13-2009 at 08:10.


    Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

  16. #16
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    The USS Constitution is the Play.com exclusive unit so you will just get it from Play.com because that is what exclusive deals are about, if you order the special forces edition from Play.com you will get the special forces extra units and the Play.com exclusive USS Constitution.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  17. #17

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    @NimitsTexan The American 44s were fast and heavily built. They are expellant raiders and can out run almost any ship at sea.

    One of the 44s caught and captured the fastest ship in the French Navy (and the French had the best ships built in Europe at the time) If there were a faster ship, say in the British Navy, it was surely captured from the French.

    Cost and need dictate what ships you build. If you think you have the money and time to build a navy that can rule the sea then you go for the Ship of the Line type. If you have to be a stealthy raider you build squadrons of frigates to hit weaker ships and run from the big boys.
    Yep,it was wellknownintheBritishnavythatthe best sailors were French ships. Probably not down to an inaiity to build good ships in the UK,just that the numbers built tended to average down the quality.

    As Fisherking says, it must depend on your resources and tatics. Surely not only can you build a 3 decker but other factions can build 44s too. Which the British belatedly did. There's got to be somethingmore to the USS Constitution.
    Cheers,
    The Freedom Onanist

  18. #18
    Member Member scipiosgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I reside in the state of North Carolina and sometimes Johannesburg South Africa.
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Onanist View Post
    As Fisherking says, it must depend on your resources and tatics. Surely not only can you build a 3 decker but other factions can build 44s too. Which the British belatedly did. There's got to be somethingmore to the USS Constitution.
    In reality, USS Constitution was a well handled, rapid firing frigate that helped to destroy the Barbary Pirates. Later she fought and won a frigate dual against HMS Serapis.

    Because Constitution was so handy and well handled, she was able to do to the Serapis what the French hand been trying to do for years. Namely, she outmaneuvered the Serapis and shot away the rigging on the British ship. By the time Constitution came alongside to board, Serapis was helplessly dismasted. Her Captain eventually struck colors and surrendered Serapis who later that day burned to the waterline and sank.

    Constitution proved that an American ship and crew could outfight the British Navy at sea.

    SG
    A weapon is a tool for changing an enemy's mind.

  19. #19
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Although it may not be my place to question your info scipiousgoblin, wikipedia (which is probably not the most reliable of sources but still...) says it was the USS Bonhomme Richard that took the serapsis not the Constitution .
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  20. #20
    Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Although it may not be my place to question your info scipiousgoblin, wikipedia (which is probably not the most reliable of sources but still...) says it was the USS Bonhomme Richard that took the serapsis not the Constitution .
    Correct, he's thinking of the HMS Guerriere.

    On US Navy vs. Royal Navy in the War of 1812:
    The quality of US crews was, on average, much higher than that of the Royal Navy during the war - due to a combination of higher pay and better living conditions as compared to the US merchant marine. But the primary reason was size. The US fleet numbered in the dozens, the Royal Navy had hundreds. The US Navy had the luxury of picking their crews from an overabundance of applicants. The Royal navy had major issues crewing their ships (perhaps you lot shouldn't have flogged quite so much ) and took whoever they could (literally) get their hands on.
    "Après moi le déluge"

  21. #21
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    Correct, he's thinking of the HMS Guerriere.

    On US Navy vs. Royal Navy in the War of 1812:
    The quality of US crews was, on average, much higher than that of the Royal Navy during the war - due to a combination of higher pay and better living conditions as compared to the US merchant marine. But the primary reason was size. The US fleet numbered in the dozens, the Royal Navy had hundreds. The US Navy had the luxury of picking their crews from an overabundance of applicants. The Royal navy had major issues crewing their ships (perhaps you lot shouldn't have flogged quite so much ) and took whoever they could (literally) get their hands on.
    If I remember reading rightly we were thrashing the Americans in the naval front until the French got involved. And even then it was a mixtures of successes and failures.
    Also, when did we get a reputaion for flogging our sailors?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  22. #22
    Senior Member Senior Member Barkhorn1x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Miami, FL, USA
    Posts
    1,056

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    If I remember reading rightly we were thrashing the Americans in the naval front until the French got involved. And even then it was a mixtures of successes and failures.
    Also, when did we get a reputaion for flogging our sailors?

    You must mean the our Revolution - I was referring to the War of 1812.

    Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said "Don't talk to me about Naval Tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash"?
    "Après moi le déluge"

  23. #23
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    You must mean the our Revolution - I was referring to the War of 1812.
    i guess i got them mixed up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    Wasn't it Winston Churchill who said "Don't talk to me about Naval Tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash"?
    no that was the pogues
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  24. #24

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    The USS Constitution is the Play.com exclusive unit so you will just get it from Play.com because that is what exclusive deals are about, if you order the special forces edition from Play.com you will get the special forces extra units and the Play.com exclusive USS Constitution.
    As a "Yank," I don't believe Play.com is an option . . . which is bugging me. USS Constitution is my favorite ship of all time; it should not be a UK/EU exclusive . . .
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

    "It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

  25. #25
    Member Member scipiosgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I reside in the state of North Carolina and sometimes Johannesburg South Africa.
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Although it may not be my place to question your info scipiousgoblin, wikipedia (which is probably not the most reliable of sources but still...) says it was the USS Bonhomme Richard that took the serapsis not the Constitution .

    Absolutely correct. It was Guerriere. I always get those two mixed up in my head. Guerriere was a French built 38 gun frigate captured by HMS Blanche. She was bought by the Royal Navy.

    Sorry about that.

    As for Bonhomme Richard, she was a scow and only the insanity ... I mean bravery of her captain allowed her to capture Serapis.

    SG
    A weapon is a tool for changing an enemy's mind.

  26. #26
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Insane as in setting fire to his own ship to get a 5th rate?

    ...I wonder if that could be an option in the game; the ability to set any ship on fire in an effort to take the enemy with you? Somehow i doubt that there were any ships built specificaly to set on fire so it may be posible.

    Random thought: maybe someone should make a smiley specificaly to say "please EA"
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  27. #27
    The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Heanor, Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    1,724

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Insane as in setting fire to his own ship to get a 5th rate?

    ...I wonder if that could be an option in the game; the ability to set any ship on fire in an effort to take the enemy with you? Somehow i doubt that there were any ships built specificaly to set on fire so it may be posible.

    Random thought: maybe someone should make a smiley specificaly to say "please EA"
    Actually there were ships taken intop battle specifically so that they could be set alitght. Old or cheap ships were used most frequently. They were filled with incendiary material and sailed at enemy ships in an attempt to set them alight.

    A slighty more advanced version of this tactic is the bomb ship. These were full to the brim with gunpowder, and were ignited once they ahd drifted near enough to an enemy ship. They were also apparently used to attack buildings and docks close to the water.

    Fireships and bombships might be in the game. CA did say that if your own ship is on fire you could make an attempt to set the enemy on fire by sailing it at them.


    ~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

    . -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------


  28. #28
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,408
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    By "Somehow i doubt that there were any ships built specificaly to set on fire" I meant I don't think that govenments spent hundreds of... whatever currency they were using and acres of woodland just to make a new ship that was supposed to blow up the second they get near an enemy.

    Just clearing that up.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  29. #29
    Member Member scipiosgoblin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    I reside in the state of North Carolina and sometimes Johannesburg South Africa.
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Insane as in setting fire to his own ship to get a 5th rate?

    ...I wonder if that could be an option in the game; the ability to set any ship on fire in an effort to take the enemy with you? Somehow i doubt that there were any ships built specificaly to set on fire so it may be posible.

    Random thought: maybe someone should make a smiley specificaly to say "please EA"

    Insane yeah. Do you remember where he set the fire? With grenades no less.

    He threw grenades into the powder magazine and told the enemy captain to surender and his crew would would help put out fires and sail them all to safety.

    I love John Paul Jones. He's the father of the greatest Navy on Earth. But he was also a certifiable nut.

    I would love to see fireships in the game. I'd also like to see cutting out expeditions for ships anchored in a harbor. I don't know how that would be implemented, but boy would it be cool to raid a French port and steal a frigate.

    SG
    A weapon is a tool for changing an enemy's mind.

  30. #30

    Default Re: USS Constitution?

    Quote Originally Posted by NimitsTexan View Post
    As a "Yank," I don't believe Play.com is an option . . . which is bugging me. USS Constitution is my favorite ship of all time; it should not be a UK/EU exclusive . . .
    @NimitsTexan

    The US answer for the Constitution is Best Buy. The UK (and possibly Europe) answer for the Constitution is Play.com. There is another exclusive unit available in the UK (and Europe?) called the Death's Head Hussars that is available from Game. Amazon UK is supposed to have an exclusive unit as well but I didn't see it listed what it is. That makes me wonder if Amazon US has an exclusive unit.


    The Special Forces Edition is supposed to have six additional units. I'm guessing that these are the same units if the game is purchased through Steam or through retail (Best Buy, Amazon, Play.com, etc.) for the SF edition.:

    1) HMS Victory
    2) Rogers' Rangers
    3) Ottoman Organ Gun
    4) Ghoorkas
    5) Corso Terrestre Guerillas
    6) Bulkeley's Regiment

    Source: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1281/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO