Thread: Question about the rules/stats

Default Question about the rules/stats

I wish to experiment by taking the RTW/EB Stats and transferring them to P & P Skirmish games like the ones described here http://takshendal.blogspot.com/, here http://brookehurst.blogspot.com/ nd here http://www.wargames.co.uk/Pending/Ar.../RobinHood.htm. But...

How on earth does the Engine deal with losses, morale, etc. Can anyone point me to e reference of this?
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Default Re: Question about the rules/stats

IIRC, frogbeastegg wrote some pretty nifty guides on the subject in (IIRC!) the MTW forum.

Morale is simply a scale, and depending on your score and position on that scale you may receive combat penalties and be prone to breaking (and in the case of severe morale losses, be demoralised beyond the point of returning to fight).

e.g.
    >30 Impetuous
    20-29 Eager
    10-19 Steady
    0-9 Worried
    <0 Broken

and a unit's score on this scale is modified by certain factors (starting morale, flanks protected, proximity and competence of commander, own and enemy numbers, losses, etc. etc.). Please don't take this to be absolute, though, as I can't remember the actual scale or severity of modifiers... furthermore, it's entirely possible that the numbers have been tweaked per each incarnation of Total War... but this should give you the gist of the morale system.

Hope that helps some :\

(Further reading: search The Library or MTW forums for posts by frogbeastegg containing keywords such as "morale", "eager", "impetuous", etc.)
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Question about the rules/stats

Unfortunately, the engine was mostly rewritten for R:TW, so we are not sure how much of that still applies. For up to date knowledge on the R:TW engine, check out the Ludus Magna.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Question about the rules/stats

Cheers, Ludens. Sad to hear about the rules being changed, though; I quite liked the relative simplicity of Shogun/Medieval...
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Question about the rules/stats

The basic engine wasn't changed that much, and I think several changes were for the better. The S:TW engine was not without its flaws, and I think that vanilla R:TW's battles are unsatisfying because of poor balancing and A.I., rather than faults in the battle engine.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!