Thread: Help I can't take it any more!

Default Help I can't take it any more!

I've been hopelessly addicted to EB for about 4-6 months. My Baktrian empire was just beginning to flourish as I considered the so very serious prospect of buying my first armored elephants.

Unfortunately the game started to CTD only after a battle ended.

At first the problem happened 5% of the time, but now I CTD 95% of the time making me an unhappy camper.

So... I followed the directions in the Help thread. Uninstalled EB and RTW (I have the original). Did a new install in a C:\Rome folder, etc...

The game runs, but I CTD at the end of 95% of the battles.

Strangely I have no issue with RTW which is 100% solid; and I can fight a battle in EB from the custom battles and I will not CTD at the end.

I tried a new campaign again, hoping I was at fault, but the very first battle resulted in a CTD at the end.

So...

I created an account (rare for me) to whine for help to Zeus-Mahdra or similar deity.

System specs:
    AMD Phenom II 940 proc (brand new)
    Vista x64 (was working before upgrade)
    8 GB RAM
    ATI 3870 running 9.1 drivers (brand new)
    Antec 750TX PSU

I don't want to roll back my drivers because, honestly nothing else has a problem except this CTD "only" during the campaign. Forcing XPSP2 mode didn't help

The old ATI drivers were totally F***ed up and finally work.

Gah, I love this frackin game!

Reinstallation of the OS is brutal, I don't want to even consider it.
    Psycho EB Addict From Galaxy EB42

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Help I can't take it any more!

Well, are they different battles?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Yep, that's why I started 2 new campaigns to test.

For a bit I was just auto-resolving battles assuming that it was the occasional battle that always had a CTD (which I had run into twice before when attacking out of a city). I had a couple places where the game hung if I attacked, but I had worked around it. I've come back to the game and have fought some 20-30 battles in the past couple weeks and only about 2 of them finished properly.

I am certain that in one of the battles that actually finished without a CTD at the end, I actually had forgotten to start the EB script :(

Is making a clean install of XP onto a virtual machine a possibility? Assuming that RTW/EB does in fact work that much better with XP than Vista, and that there would be a significant difference to playing on a "real" XP OS than a simulated one?
    "The pathfinding around town squares is twenty different kinds of horrible."Watchman

Play without running the scripts.
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

I also had a lot of problems playing with Baktria. CTD's after, usually long and difficult battles, happened alot.
    Have you tried waiting for the post battle music to end before exiting the battle summary?
    Anyway ...good luck, Baktria is a great faction to play with.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

For some reason, I had several problems playing as Baktria as well.

What version of EB are you using? My problems seemed to occur in Version 1.2 for some reason.
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!

Yep, I'm using version 1.2. I used the validator tool as well, with no dice.

My first Baktrian game was neat with version 1.1. Unfortunately when I upgraded to 1.2, all but about 5 family members became interlopers and my empire was ruined. This newly lost empire makes me sad, but the CTD issue makes me grumpy.

I tried a Getai new game, and the first battle did a CTD at the end.

I use huge units, is there a bug there?

It will only CTD at the end of a battle in the campaign. I've never had RTW CTD...

Is there a speed bug? My CPU runs at 3700Mhz...

Can you even run EB properly without the script?

Sharp/Charismatic/Languorous Member Novellus's Avatar

I'm not sure what to say on this one. When I played, I had 1.1 installed. But the moment I upgraded, many of my 1.2 campaigns failed to work without CTD's for some reason. I had to reinstall the entire game to version 1.1 again.

Make sure that you have your savegames saved in a separate location outside of your computers should anything be wrong with it. Also, you may want to try to upload a savegame so that someone can see if there are any bugs with it.

Here's the thread on how to do so:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=80870

Also, there is a subforum here called "EB Bug Reports & Technical Help".

Technically, your thread should have been posted there, where more experienced help would be able to find your thread more easily and respond to it. You could ask a moderator to move the thread if you do not receive the answer you need.

(Don't worry, I did the same thing my first time too)

Try some of the fixes and read the stickies--- maybe some of your bugs have already been fixed too.

Other than that, I would have to say "hang in there". It is a sad experience to go through when a computer does not cooperate with EB.
    My Balloon! -Strategos Alexandros- "What to do with the Epeirotes?"

Why did the Romans fall?

Because everyone got sick of the Lorica Segmentata!

RTW, the old, grumpy, buggy and clumsy engine that is completely obsolete on top of that. Some bugs are due to the script, others just plainly appear to ruin your game. Recommendations? Save often, and have different saves from far ranging periods. This way if it crashes on 220 B.C even after realoading and restarting you might still have a 242 B.C save running normally.

I really hope EBII will make it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitani View Post
    I also had a lot of problems playing with Baktria. CTD's after, usually long and difficult battles, happened alot.
    Have you tried waiting for the post battle music to end before exiting the battle summary?
    Anyway ...good luck, Baktria is a great faction to play with.

V.

Ok.... You got me thinking. I tested your idea with success. Replicated and felt like puking.

The game installs with the default Miles2d Music system. Expecting this to get system resources properly in Vista x64 is like hoping the town drunk won't puke on your shoes.

As soon as I changed the sound system to Direct3D I played through 5 battles in a row; both offensive and defensive. I heard the different soundtracks overlay each other when playing!!!

Wauuugh!!!! Bah Humbug.

Many thanks, and omfglol sticky this solution.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 02-13-2009 at 07:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Ok.... You got me thinking. I tested your idea with success. Replicated and felt like puking.

The game installs with the default Miles2d Music system. Expecting this to get system resources properly in Vista x64 is like hoping the town drunk won't puke on your shoes.

As soon as I changed the sound system to Direct3D I played through 5 battles in a row; both offensive and defensive. I heard the different soundtracks overlay each other when playing!!!

Wauuugh!!!! Bah Humbug.

Many thanks, and omfglol sticky this solution.
    Awsome! I am currently using V1.1(where i am it would take ages to download newer version, plus I havent given much time to see how alex.exe works with it) with alex.exe and I havent tried Baktria yet.
    That solution has been proposed to me somewhere on the ctd's threads btw.
    Anyway its good you have your prob solved.

V.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it" - Gaius Julius Caesar.

This is news to me. I've added it as a possible solution in the frequent issues.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

where i am it would take ages to download newer version
    Curious question - where are you?

Hmm, this is quite... unnerving.
    I had maybe two-three CTDs during the whole AS and Sweboz campaigns.
    Now I'm playing Baktria, too, and experiencing CTDs more often, although mostly before battles. Still, I'm beginning to worry about my future possible battles, because right now I usually don't get very big battles and/or don't play them outside my turn, which is when CTDs seem to occur the most...
    Last edited by Mister V; 02-16-2009 at 16:13.

Hi Im playing Baktria also and I found some CTD's mostly during SPQR turn. I had a few CTDs after huge and long battles indeed. Interestly, most of the CTD ocurred after I used FD mod. Nevertheless, I was able to surpass all of them so I think they were fluke or random CTDs.

Quote Originally Posted by jerjes78 View Post
    Hi Im playing Baktria also and I found some CTD's mostly during SPQR turn. I had a few CTDs after huge and long battles indeed. Interestly, most of the CTD ocurred after I used FD mod. Nevertheless, I was able to surpass all of them so I think they were fluke or random CTDs.
    that could be that a romani town is about to revolt, causing a CTD during the romani turn - you can take some population off the problematic city, once you locate it, to get around that one.

ie open the dialog box
    toggle fog of war (toggle_fow)
    find the city, then do "add_population city name -1000" to remove population and stop a revolt during the end turn sequence.

please correct me if i put in the wrong commands.
    inde consilivm mihi pavca de Avgvsto et extrema tradere, mox Tiberii principatum et cetera, sine ira et stvdio, qvorvm cavsas procvl habeo.

I would not know about that. But in my current 1.1 game (I still cannot seem to be able to upgrade and the mistreated ferret I adopted and am nursing back to health frankly takes most of my spare time), my game chrashes on average every 3rd or 4th major battle as the battle screen loads. It is more vs Luso and Carthage than in the East, but sometimes there as well. Which is a pain after you end turn, win Heroic, be attacked again, CTD

Edit, it just happened. I just beat three damn AS Phalanx armies with my worn out army in Asia Minor in the "enemy" turm, then Carthage attacks an army of mine with a puny force that I could kill without working up a sweat even in the desert outside Atiqa-> Bam! CTD!
    Last edited by Macilrille; 02-23-2009 at 21:30. Reason: Added example.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

That crashing will cease when you install the 1.1 fixes. Seeing as you're still on 1.1 I mean.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I certainly thought I had installed them. But then again, I have tried unsuccesfully to upgrade to 1.2.

I am near to letting EB lie till EB II comes out, those CTDs are wasting my time.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13