Thread: Special Units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Special Units

I hate to be devils advocate here but i really hope they hard code these units in and do not make them modable into the game.

first off let me say im buying the collectors edition, not for the units just cos i love TW so much and ive bought all the other collectors editions. the extra units while cool, are not the sole reason for me buying the collectors edition.

However for those people who buy the special forces for the special units i think it would be incredibly unfair for them to have these units unlocked within a matter of days by modders.

Unfortunately i understand just how easy it is to mod the TW files having been a member of several modding teams and having done several modifications for my own use over the years. The biggest problem i see is if these units are hardcoded will it effect the modability of the rest of the units.

ok well thats my thoughts, i understand people will prolly disagree heartily but i think its unfair to those who pay extra to not really get anything extra.

Thoughts?

Cheers Knoddy
    "How come i cant make friends like that"
    "You need to get out more"
    "Im in another galaxy, how much more out can i get"

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Special Units

I think they will be released anyway, seeing as it looks like they will be avaliable in Multiplayer, they HAVE to be in the core game files, which mean they can either be unlocked, or they will be in a patch for free, or those people with extra units will only be able to use them against other people with special units.

When I purchase E:TW, I'll make sure theres no difference in unit numbers between Special Forces and the Collectors edition then I'll buy the SF edition. Its an extra ten dollars. Thats nothing. Bah.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

I thought it was confirmed it would be SP only? And Knotty has a point, it would be awesome for the people who bought the normal version to find away to unlock them, but bad for those who put up the extra money for the units. Although one can also make the argument about the map, but is the map worth the extra money when the extra units can be unlocked for free?

I'll be happy with either version when it's out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
    I thought it was confirmed it would be SP only? And Knotty has a point, it would be awesome for the people who bought the normal version to find away to unlock them, but bad for those who put up the extra money for the units. Although one can also make the argument about the map, but is the map worth the extra money when the extra units can be unlocked for free?

I'll be happy with either version when it's out.
    pretty much my sentiments while i would be happy for people to find a way to get access to these units i would be aggrieved to the people who paid for the xtra units

in other news i was suprised to see my post made it onto the front page of the org, i feel so special!

lol

p.s. i expected more crucifixion by the modders of the community for this post

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Look at the Steam FAQ

It says that special units are available in some MP games…you will have to read the whole think to get a clearer idea…

I am buying the SF but you know, there are exclusive units you don’t get with every version…

I wouldn’t mind having those units too and don’t feel I need have exclusive rights to the ones I have…

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

I am slightly irritated at comments I have seen that say 'don't buy the slightly more expensive Edition, just download the units as a mod after the game is out'.

Not buying Special Forces I can understand. Not buying it because you intend to get all the content for free is an entirely different story.

If you get extra content you should pay for it. Even if you think it is too expensive you can take a stand by not purchasing it, rather than try and get it for free.

Just my two cents. (Although since I'm English I use pennies, not cents :P)

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------

It is available in usa for purchase at any GS store in pre-order only. I am in South West so unless a corparate American store does not keep same policies which I doubt just go pre- order game.

Sir Beane I do believe you stole my saying ......lol and 2 cents in America is 2 pennies here too. I lived in South Africa for a couple years in Durban and it was cents too, however worth a lot less.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    When you find yourself sinking into madness, Dive!
    WE WANT A...............DEMO!
    This message is brought to you by the Demo Legions. If you have the Demo remember this, We will find you!

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

The Steam FAQ seems to suggest you can get the unit(s) from them as well.

i was trolling the steam forums one day and saw that they were selling the special forces units separate to the game all together. this is because they started pre orders b4 SF was announced and as such they had heaps of pre orders when people didnt know SF existed so they threw up SF separate to the game, i assume just sending you a code. this is all vaguely what i remember.

if they do not sell SF in your country i would understand your desire to have them modded in but i still agree with beane that people saying "dont buy it just wait for them to be modded in" is a little wrong. im trying to think of a real life simile but i cant atm hehe too early in the morning need more coffee

Quote Originally Posted by knoddy View Post
    i was trolling the steam forums one day and saw that they were selling the special forces units separate to the game all together. this is because they started pre orders b4 SF was announced and as such they had heaps of pre orders when people didnt know SF existed so they threw up SF separate to the game, i assume just sending you a code. this is all vaguely what i remember.

if they do not sell SF in your country i would understand your desire to have them modded in but i still agree with beane that people saying "dont buy it just wait for them to be modded in" is a little wrong. im trying to think of a real life simile but i cant atm hehe too early in the morning need more coffee
    I agree, but if Sega is gonna give me no choice, then I will just have to mod them myself. Hopefully I will be able to pay the difference and upgrade on Steam.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

The Laughing Knight Member Sir Beane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    I agree, but if Sega is gonna give me no choice, then I will just have to mod them myself. Hopefully I will be able to pay the difference and upgrade on Steam.
    I think that's likely. I also think it's likely that some time down the line the Special Forces Units will find their way into a patch or expansion free of charge.

~ I LOVE DEMOS ~

. -- ---------- --
    . By your powers combined I am!
    . ----------------------