Thread: Physical DVD player failure?

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Default Physical DVD player failure?

Today (well atleast it did work on wednesday) my dvd player suddenly decided to stop working. It stopped recognize that CD:s or DVD:s are inserted, even if it tries to search for it for while before coming to that conclusion. It can find that a fresh cd/dvd is inserted, giving the format the cd/dvd option, but will still fail finding old files there and will fail with the format.

Tried running the Windows Vista starting disk when restarting the computer, but nothing will happen, not even giving the option on starting from the dvd.

I take it that means physical failure and not some wierd shit inside windows vista?

Other unusuals events has been a trojan taken care of about a week ago (still making me slightly paranoid), some slow loading and failed pictures on the net this morning (fine now though) and me switching songs on my mp3 player (I doubt that has anything to do with it, more than it's the thing most matching in time).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Physical DVD player failure?

Bad laser, it happens

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Default Re: Physical DVD player failure?

Update. Looks like it was a bad laser, problem went away by replacing the DVD-driver.

Only downside is that hopefully the Indonesians are better than the Phillipeans on building that model as the new one is the same model. That was fun finding out.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED