Thread: Nex's learn from you mistakes thread.

Lightbulb Nex's learn from you mistakes thread.

ALSO!! before you read this, I wrote this, cause I happen to spend on average 12-24 hours a month fixing a stupid mistake I make on my computer. I mean this took me 9 hours today.

So, I've decided that since I destroy and fix (somehow...) my computer so often I would make a thread that may or may not help you in the future.

On to my most recent bout of technological prowess(HA!).

You ever have a dvd burner that just won't work? Maybe it doesn't read the DVD or says it's in an incorrect format. Well going around on the internet, google or yahoo answers or what ever you use, just don't let it be askjeeves.com. I'm sure that website stopped being used after our 5th grade teacher found us looking up breast on it, ok maybe that was just me but.... When my DVD burner stopped working, instead of really looking into the problem I went for a quick fix.

So here is a quick fix on how to force your DVD drive to actually read the DVD's no matter what they are. (note: this may not work)

MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF REGISTRY'S BEFORE YOU MESS WITH ANYTHING

Goto start then run. In run type in "regedit"

at Registry edit go to -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM ->

CurrentControlSet -> Control ->Class

In class find this code:
    EDIT: You want to find this code, I highlighted the wrong material.
    4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
    DO NOT DELETE THIS ONE: 4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318

BIG NOTE!!!!:!:!:!(HEY ADMINS, GET A SMILEY THAT SAYS ATTENTION!!)

DO NOT!! I REPEAT DO NOT!!! Just skim over the first part and look for the back because it looks like they are all the same. [At the very end I'll tell you why you should find it character for character]

Now in this don't delete both Upper and Lower filters if they have .bak after them. If they are by there own, delete them.

After deleting the filters, restart your computer and it should work fine.

Now, If you skimmed over the first part(like i did) You will find that you cannot move your mouse or use your keyboard when you start up again. Congratz you pulled a Nex and corrupted your registry files. Now there is a way to fix this. I got lucky and stumbled across this fix, but I have no clue if it is permanent. If you have that space and cannot run system repair install another operating system(preferably the same one that's installed, service pack-home-business-etc etc etc).

Once you have installed the operating system boot with that. Install some components on the new operating system and make sure it saves stuff. Turn off you computer and have it save settings, when you start your computer again, at the operating system select menu press F8. When a new menu offering safe mode, vga, etc etc etc opens up if it says start with last settings that worked, select that one. It should use the settings from the other OS and work. Now I have no idea if this is permanent, but it has saved me from some major internet searching.

If you still have problems, contact me at jkarinen@hotmail.com or over PM with the guild. This is my home page I check it every day.

I hope this saves some people in the future, and considering how often I break something in my computer you can expect more from me in the future.

(Note my guides may or may not be tweaked, depending on how problems are resolved, there will always be the original with the tweaked statement under it.)

(And yes people actually ask me to fix their computers, I don't know why.)
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 02-13-2009 at 07:14.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Default Re: Nex's learn from you mistakes thread.

Do a registry backup or export of the key(s) you are changing/removing before deleting or editing them. More importantly don't mess with the registry by blindly following instructions on websites or forums. Plenty of people don't have a clue what they are doing and have simply copied it from somewhere else themselves without first testing it.

Last edited by caravel; 02-13-2009 at 14:39.

Exactly, and there is no fix for most things. I got lucky and stumbled blindly into this fix. I just hope it stays.
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Problem Number 2 and in less than a week

So was playing a game of left 4 dead about 2 hours ago. Suddenly it crashes my whole computer so I restart and as my computer is loading I get a
    Yukon PXE v1.11 (20031002)
    (C) Copyright 2003 Marvel (R) All rights reserved.

Pre-boot eXecution Environment (PXE) v2.1
    (C) Copyright 1997-2000 Intel Corporation.
    PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable.
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key.___
    What? I mean really? Come on? So I go to my moms computer(the one I am currently typing this on) to look for answers. I couldn't find any, or how people managed to fix them, other than some minor story about how they did such and such with little or no detail. So I decide that its too much of a hassle and I didn't have much on it so why not reformat. I did.

Now I get a whole new error after reformatting and putting windows on without going through setup process. Wants me to insert a bootable media disc...

When I find out how to fix this one I'll edit this post, for now I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure how to do what.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

PXE-E61: Media test failure check cable.
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM
    This sounds like booting from the Network, check that on BIOS.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Update:
    Checked network booting wasnt that. Tried booting from a cd wasn't that. Websites said check the wires wasn't that.

I decided to check my hard drives, now I am living proof that you can fry 3 hard drives at the same time by leaving your computer on for a really really really long time and constantly accessing and moving data from hard drives.

If you are getting this error and it's still saying there are hard drives, check them on other computers. It was a problem that took me off line for three days.