Thread: Online Names

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

As we all know, any person can have something like infinity minus 1 names for the multiplayer portion of STW...

I don't know about anyone else, but I find this kind of annoying. Especially since it can be used for sneaky, underhanded purposes. For example, if someone has a vendetta against you, you can ignore them and what not. But, if they then get another name and act innocent and nice, and ask to join your clan... how will you ever know what their other names are/were???

So, I propose that we ask EA to either 1. enforce a limitation on player names (like 5 or 6 or something)
    -unlikely-

2. allow player names and player clans to be changed and thus limit each person to one name
    -I don't like this one-

3. OR allow us to see all the other names any one player might have. Thus, if I were to go online, you could click on TenkiZenBlade Asai [and through some action or something] be able to see all my other registered names. (you would see a total of 4 if I remember correctly.. 3 for clan purposes and 1 for when I was a ronin for so long)

Anyways, anyone have any ideas??
    EA has replied to suggestions such as these to increase the fun of multiplayer in the past (they just aren't going to impliment them until the expansion comes out).

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

Senior Member Senior Member The Black Ship's Avatar

LOL....I propose we all use our CD key number!
    You know "2345RW65XZ*%T32 Yamamoto" has entered the room!

Really though I vote for option 2: no one really needs more than 1 name...at least at a time

[This message has been edited by The Black Ship (edited 05-27-2001).]
    All we are saying....is give peas a chance - Jolly Green Giant

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

zen,

i agree and posted somewhere else in here about limiting the nicks to 3; one for your first character, one when you chose a clan, and one for anonymity or as a backup.

total anonymity such as unlimited nicks allow is something most of us have experienced on the net with rather unwanted effects. i believe it also may be having an adverse effect on the database.

most games that allow for having a 'character' rarely give out more than about 5 per server (some games do have more than one separate identified server) and long experience has taught them the hard way why this is so. and some only allow for one per cd. you want another nick, go buy another cd.

K.

Senior Member Senior Member Zen Blade's Avatar

Well, if we can get a lot of GOOD, CALM, HONEST, and LOGICAL opinions here. I am going to send a msg to someone at EA or dreamtime, or someone a link to this Topic and ask them if they would consider making a change.

But, I think we will need a number of level headed ppl to make an impression.

-Zen Blade

------------------
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity
    Zen Blade Asai
    Red Devil
    Last of the RSG
    Clan Tenki Council-Unity, Retired
    SHS Core Member, Retired
    Derelict from an older age.

One name per cd-key will take away the things that happens when some one gets online with an allmost identic name as someone and make them look bad....
    And with one name per cd-key you should be able to delete the old name and make a new one.... it will make it much easier for the EA database to

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

Wow,
    agreed san.
    It would have saved lot's of time in the past, and will in the future. But im sure it will take another half year before they work that through, although richie is saying they r working on it (no offense rich). You all know ea.

DARE

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Konnichiwa,

1 nick/cd-key, editing of clanmembership, an editable seperate field to optionally give a clanprefix (a clan should be able to claim a prefix and secure it with password) and options for daimyo to 'kick' a member, option to switch from daimyo to 'normal' member.

This would only require the registration pages to be changed, not the actual game.

------------------
    Ja mata
    Toda MizuTosaInu
    Daimyo Takiyama Shi

http://www.takiyama.cjb.com
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Something needs to be done, especially where I am concerned over this debacle of Tankdogg managing to get into our clan (where he is NOT WELCOME).

Only One problem with the 1 name per CD-key thing..... People like us (Boromir + Aphrodite) would have to buy two CD's as we use the same computer.

Maybe though a small price to pay to get rid of the time-wasters. Although I shouldnt be paying EA more money for a problem they should sort out!

Boromir.

i don't think number of names is really the issue here...it is the misuse of various names u may have....

For example i will be honest and say i have 10+ names..most people know them except for a few of them i keepp in reserve

BUT i do not use them maliciously..i do not use them to take honour away from players in games....i do not infiltrate clans and if someone asks me directly i generally tell them who i am

It is not number of names it is the assholes that abuse the no limitation

ok here r some of my names just to clarify things if u did not know

Varaconn, SaBrE,Ashen,AshenShugar,Xenophon,Bizkit,Daishi, Rabain, IceKiller and Barak

-Fury
    "The only certainties in life are that we are born and we die. The rest is just a sea of complexity"

Senior Member Senior Member Shadelord's Avatar

well i know that with the way things are it is hard to recruit anyone because you don't know if they are new or some old player that just want's in to see what you are saying in the members area and such. i think the one name would work well to fix this problem.

------------------
    now you all have a great day because when night falls there will be hell to pay

Clan Shades Website
    Shades
    now you all have a great day because when night falls there will be hell to pay

Clan Shades Website
    Shades

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

i agree with tosa about protecting clan names and membership. however, i still maintain that having more than 1 nick is a good idea. i know for a fact that some folks out there get inundated with questions, private messages and so on whenever they enter the foyer and sometimes you just want to be anonymous and play the game. and like boromir mentioned, more than 1 person may be using the same game on the same computer and require separate nicks. and in this case each of those might enjoy having 2 nicks each for reasons already stated, which is another reason for a max limit of 5 maybe.

now i'm pretty sure ea/ca are not moderating the foyer and therefore banning any cd keys from online play. it's a free site and they frankly dont want to put the resources into maintaining a moderator/police on a free site and i understand this and appreciate the fact that it's free. on the other hand, the abuse of nicks isnt limited to just infiltrating a clan or fooling a friend or remaining anonymous so as to not be harrassed. yesterday i saw a blatant attempt to crash the server by a group of folks attempting to spam it into crashing. there was NO question in my mind that this is what they were attempting to do. the most i could do was to put them on ignore and get on with things. had i been a moderator i would have immediately banned their cd key, or at the very least warned them and then banned if they persisted.

i've run games online before. i've had to ban whole dns's from logging in at times. unfortunately there are malicious folks in this world that just cant stand to see anything creative exist and you have to deal with them. they thrive on anonymity because they then feel that no one can find out who they are and thus take action against them, so they feel free to commit their little crimes.

so, what have we got here. ea isnt going to moderate the foyer or game. a little anonymity can be good. a few nicks are almost required (families all using the same computer and game). names somewhat unprotected by copycats/infiltrators. clan names somewhat unprotected. too much anonymity overall. spammers attacking the server.

you see this stuff in any online game. different folks attept to handle it or not in different ways. and i could suggest a few here, but for now i think limiting the nicks is a good enough start.

K.

The only name I ever use is Stazbumpa, so you can spot me a mile off. Never got into having a multitude of nicks as I have a shite memory and if I needed a username for a password site or whatever Its a dead cert I'd forget it

------------------
    Above all things, to thine own-self be true.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Laaa Di Daaaa......

Nonsense!!!!!!

I can have as many names as I like, and that shouldn't EVER change!!

You all know my names, I've posted most of them before.........I post them everytime someone asks.....and if you ask me while I'm in one, I'll tell you who I am. And sometimes I might tell you anyways

Dee dum. Here they are, here we go.....(no special order though)

TigerSoul Ii, HCSoul Hijikata, SoulofChaos Hijikata, SoulofChaos Kanamori, ChaoticSoul Katagiri, DemonSoul Kanamori, SoulRider Hijikata, MasahiroKawamae Watanabe, BladeMasahiro Watanabe, Miyamoto Matsunaga, BloodMiyamoto Matsunaga, MacrosTheBlack Hijikata, LethalMarx Hineno, Noriko Sakai, Kiuchi Akechi, Melanie Katagiri, Carlie Ryuzoji, RhythmicHero Hosokawa, Sakai Yamamoto and Kamatsu Sakai(first name.)

There are 4 names not here mentioned, all 4 unused for over a month, and two of those not used since Blades and Bloods fell.

Last name, which I registered over a week ago, and only first used 2 days ago.....Tinuviel Akechi. That name is for fun with anyone who knows the Silmarillion or Tolkien.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kraellin:
    i agree and posted somewhere else in here about limiting the nicks to 3; one for your first character, one when you chose a clan, and one for anonymity or as a backup.

I think 2 nicks is enough, the sooner the better. Keep it simple.

website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

I see two problems here, firstly if we're talking about enforcing these ideas now how do you select which names go and which names stay. Also how about multiple users of the same version of shogun. Same IP address, same CD code, but it limits these users. My little brohter plays occasionally, and i sure as hell wouldn't want him using my ID, but if we've got one clan and one ronin name each and that's our limit there's nothing htat can be done in this respect. Frankly i think multiple names are just somehting we have to put up with

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature

[This message has been edited by Catiline (edited 05-28-2001).]
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Think this is fine.
    Although i also experienced problems with multiple names in stw, it also has it's nice sides. It makes a "game" in another game by being able to spy, and making history sort of "repeat"

DARE