Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allied Armies

the universal person Member everyone's Avatar

Default Allied Armies

good day,

I had a sudden idea after reading MAA's AAR, regarding those allied armies he used (e.g. the Roman legion used by his Makedon and etc). So I also decided to mod the EDB, EDU, DMB and add a few unit cards here and there, to give myself (playing as Makedon then) the ability to recruit a few more units, namely Roman Camillan units, Armenian units (I think they look cool), Galatian units, Epirote units, and a few others I though interesting.

so it was a long process of copying-pasting the hidden resource locations and unit names throughout EDB and after a two long afternoons I finally had my Armenian army for the new Satrap of Armenia.

now the problem is I decided to play as Aedui now and decided to subjugate Rome. however I remembered that I couldn't recruit Roman units (other than the hastati, equites and rorarii) in Italy. and it's going to waste a bit more time making another EDB so that I could recruit Roman/Iberian/etc unit as Aedui.

Therefore I decided to add a new building in EDB to represent forging alliances with the locals so that I could recruit their units. That new building requires a level 3 or above govt to construct.

however the problem is that I do not know how to mod EDB so as to include another building. never mind about this paragraph, I found out how as I was typing this paragraph; and spent another three more hours doing it so this topic was delayed.

presenting my first minimod:

current version: v0.3 (for EB 1.2, savegame compatible, and it's also compatible if you upgrade from a previous version of this minimod. However this is not compatible with other mods which modifies the files export_descr_buildings, export_descr_units and export_buildings)
    download from:
    -filefront
    -rapidshare
    -mediafire

(note: because of some strange bug, it does not work properly when you play as Romans.)

in the current version:
    -Italian/Camillan Roman units for every faction except Romani (for obvious reasons)
    -Galatian units (tindanotae, kuarothoroi, lavotuxri and the klerouch) for all factions
    -Thracian units (rhomphapharoi, triballoi, prodromoi and a few others) for all factions
    -Armenian units (Nakhararakan aspet, zrahakir netadzik, hai nizagamartik, georgian swordsmen and a few other units around Caucasus area)
    -Hoplites (Massilian, Syracusan, Spartan, and those other hoplites that KH uses)

screenshots:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

update log:
    15 Feb: v0.1 (outdated, had some bugs)
    16 Feb: v0.11 updated, fixed the graphic error.
    20 Feb: v0.2 (added new UI picture, Galatian and Thraikian units)
    8 Mar: v0.3 (made the UI picture less unsightly, added Armenian units and Koinon hoplites)

Known bugs:
    -some units, in particular the greek hoplites, are not recruitable even though it is shown on the "allied armies" building description. not sure why though, still working on it.
    -CTDs occur when there are model conflicts. e.g. Romani with Roman units. the problem is already identified, though it'll take a while to fix it (by inserting a line for every faction and what sprite/model they should use; instead of lazily adding "merc" and let every faction use it)

Future versions will include:
    -bug fixes, in particular for the Romanoi.
    -Machimoi
    -Goidilic/British
    -Carthaginian (Liby-phoenician, phoenician, etc) units
    -Germanic units
    -other stuff which I may occasionally think of when I subjugate those people in my current campaign
    -local/factional recruitable generals (RGBs) who won't turn into client rulers when you leave them to govern a city (so they're treated like normal FM's just that they don't appear on the family tree)
    ...more when I eventually think of making something else

and that would be the order which I would work on them.

If you are currently using other minimods and also wish to play this; this small tutorial helps you to manually install this minimod into existing minimods of yours
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1. copy the part in the EDB under ";::::: allied armies by everyone:::::" into your current EDB (with the minimods and stuff)
    2. see the units which are made available to all factions (there are 31 of them); by finding the unit cards under /data/UI/units
    3. search for the units in EDU and add ", mercenary_unit" at the end of the "attributes" line
    4. search the units in DMB and find the skins they use; at the end of "models" and "textures", add a new line and change the faction name into "merc" for example:
    models.........romans_julii filename1 filename1
    models.........slave filename2 filename2
    models.........merc filename1 filename1
    textures.......romans_julii filename1 filename1
    textures.......slave filename2 filename2
    textures.......merc filename1 filename1
    5. and finally dump the unit cards inside the RAR file into /data/UI/units/merc and /data/UI/unit_info/merc
    Last edited by everyone; 03-26-2009 at 15:51.

Default Re: Allied Armies

Hmmm. Some screenshots plz?

oh yes, sorry about that; I tested it but didn't take screenshots. I'll post them in a while.

edit: I made an update concerning a bug and added screenshots
    Last edited by everyone; 02-16-2009 at 08:51.

so you invest 25K and get that shiny stack spawn?

sort of, but it's still being worked on, so currently it's only usable if you intend to make Romani a 'client state', but in the very near future (which is this weekend) I'm going to add a significant number of regions which you could get more shiny stacks.

but any comments or suggestions or criticism for this idea/minimod?
    Last edited by everyone; 02-18-2009 at 13:32.

I like the idea.

Well, that's not really much of a commentary, suggestion or criticism, but I though some support would be nice as well.

Question AW: Allied Armies

You didn't add new units, you made them only recruitable for other factions, right? So can I guess that this is savegame compatible?

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam
    Last edited by Zett; 02-18-2009 at 14:38.

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

yes, all I added was a new building, and it's savegame compatible (I had tested it on several ongoing campaigns of mine, all worked); no new units/skins were added.

version 0.2 is out, just to inform; what has been included are Galatian and Thraikian units and a new UI picture.

this feature is applied in 77BC twilight of the republic mod. you get to train a general unit, somewhat similar to EB's client rulers, but with the difference that that spawns not just a single unit but half a stack instead. if you didnt already know about it you can check the mod out, just click on the bar in my sig.

everyone:
    Small question; is your EDU entry for "dacian missile peltastaithrakioi" correct?
    It's under the Thraikian Units in your version of the EDB, but in your EDU it still has the original ownership.
    Last edited by Raygereio; 02-24-2009 at 21:45. Reason: Typo...

It is, just that it has the attribute "mercenary_unit" added to it, so factions which are not stated in its ownership would use the merc skin and unit cards, so which means lesser files would be needed (because all I need to do is just dump all the /data/UI/units (or unit_info) into the 'merc' folder)

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

be careful, factions are denied certain units for a reason, there may be model conflicts and u'll get a LOT of CtDs

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

just made another update to 0.3; I was finally motivated to add new content.

I like the idea of this mod and Id does look quite good so far. Any news about possible CTD's yet?

Good luck to any further work you should do with it.

I might eveen try it one day
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

so far none, I think they happen when the game can't decide whether to use the factional skin/model or the merc skin/model. but how Hayasdan manages to use the same skin for two different units (nakhararakan tiknapah, Armenian heavy infantry and Shipri Tukul, Babylonian spearmen) may show that it's not possible.
    and the Armenians, Galatians and Thracian allies are behaving well in my current Koinon campaign, I don't have any CTDs yet; the only ones I had was when I was testing it where there were some line break errors in the EDB and it crashed while loading the game.
    Last edited by everyone; 03-08-2009 at 12:15.

No crashes yet in my Koinon game, I haven't tested the Roman and Armenian units yet, but the Galatan and Thracian ones work just fine.

I don't know if you want to update your first post with this, but updating from a previous version to a newer one of your mod seems to be perfectly save game compatible (at least I didn't get any crashes with a save game after updating from 0,2 to 0,3. As long as you allready have the Allied Alliance building in your EDB everything is allright, I guess).

One thing, I noticed some default RomeTW peasant unit pictures when I was checking out the indian provinces and in your EDU you have the indian Infantry Guild Warriors listed as mercenary units, yet their picture files aren't in your merc folders in the UI files.
    Last edited by Raygereio; 03-08-2009 at 13:35.

thanks for the notice and support. I must have accidentally done that when I was attempting to mod my Macedonians to have an Indian Satrapial army.

Ive downloaded you mod but are having problems when i build the alliance building it will say which units are recruitable but i am unable to recruit them and im wondering if that is because ive done something wrong heres and example

edit: now im getting this error

Last edited by Charles the hammer; 03-08-2009 at 23:58.

well there's a problem with my mod, is that it's not compatible with other minimods that edit the EDU, DMB and EDB. terribly sorry for that.
    edit: I notice you use the EB antique map as your desktop wallpaper; me too!
    Last edited by everyone; 03-09-2009 at 12:26.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

I thought it wouldn't, which is the only reason I haven't downloaded it. Do you happen to know what mods do edit these files? Maybe |LZ3| should be called upon.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

You could always get something like winmerge and compare your old modded files with Everyone's Allied Armies files; then simply aply Everyone's changes to your old files. (While having back ups in case you've screw something up).

At least that how I do it...
    Last edited by Raygereio; 03-09-2009 at 13:28.

yeah, the only part of the EDB in allied armies which is modded is the bottomost part where a new building is added; if you are also installing another mod which uses EDB, you just need to add the part which is under ;:::::::allied armies by everyone::::::: and in the EDU and DMB, the related unit's models (which is actually quite numerous so I'll probably release an update eventually to make this compatible with other existing minimods)

and @ charles the hammer, I found out your problem, it's related to an older version of Lz3's minimod pack:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=2121614

edit: I added a section quoted from myself in a PM, to show how to install this minimod together with another minimod manually for now; since I have not made any compatibility versions yet
    Last edited by everyone; 03-09-2009 at 14:14.

I tried renstalling EB and then redoing your mod but im still having trouble with the mod i still cant get all the units in the recruitment tab.
    Last edited by Charles the hammer; 03-09-2009 at 22:04.

all right, I'll find a solution to that and solve it and release in the next version; but not now as I'm not using my EB computer.
    thanks.

Hey everyone!
    I've decided to install your mod, but i noticed it's not compatible with others, so i was wondering, would it make a difference if first i install your mod and then Phalanx's? I wpuld also like to add that i'm using BI.exe and that to make mods work i have to first install them and then install EB 4 BI.
    PS great job

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

I think you should install the other mods first, because mine can be modded in manually rather easily.

at the bottom of my first post is a part about how to mod allied armies into your already modded files:
    1. copy the part in the EDB under ";::::: allied armies by everyone:::::" into your current EDB (with the minimods and stuff)
    2. see the units which are made available to all factions in this mod (there are 31 of them); by finding the unit cards under /data/UI/units
    3. search for the units in EDU and add ", mercenary_unit" at the end of the "attributes" line
    4. search the units in DMB and find the skins they use; at the end of "models" and "textures", add a new line and change the faction name into "merc" for example:
    models.........romans_julii filename1 filename1
    models.........slave filename2 filename2
    models.........merc filename1 filename1
    textures.......romans_julii filename1 filename1
    textures.......slave filename2 filename2
    textures.......merc filename1 filename1
    5. and finally dump the unit cards inside the RAR file into /data/UI/units/merc and /data/UI/unit_info/merc

Yeah I know i saw that and did it, but i forgot to save and a blackout mademe lose all that work
    So i'll start again.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

beware, don't edit it with notepad, or it'll create line breaks everywhere and therefore mess up the EDB (in particular, EDU and DMB won't encounter problems)

Gone fishing......(got eaten by a SHARK instead)....

I've noticed a problem in your minimod........after installing it, the option to recruit a client ruler/allied general from a Type IV government disappears.............pls fix this problem.......Thanks for your minimod anyways.......

p.s. one more thing could u pls lessen the turns required to construct the local alliances building.......I mean frankly 20 seasons is a little too much for a small building.....& also reduce the 25k cost a bit coz it burns a big hole in my tiny little treasury............
    Last edited by Darth Revan; 05-23-2009 at 09:53. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast